Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Question: When setting up a mode and I select:

Network -> Network Type -> 3G only

What exactly does that do "behind the scenes?"

(From what I can see so far, it does not appear to be doing anything to the operation of my Sprint Pre.)
  2.    #922  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    Question: When setting up a mode and I select:

Network -> Network Type -> 3G only

What exactly does that do "behind the scenes?"

(From what I can see so far, it does not appear to be doing anything to the operation of my Sprint Pre.)
    It toggles the setting in your phone prefs (the network type). When set to 3G your phone wont connect to 2g networks. So if you are in area of 3G networks the setting does not have any effect.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    It toggles the setting in your phone prefs (the network type). When set to 3G your phone wont connect to 2g networks. So if you are in area of 3G networks the setting does not have any effect.
    Voice network only? Or data network, too?

I should have been more clear, as I don't see any effect on my data network operation. It still switches down to 1xRTT even when I'm in a strong EVDO area.
  4.    #924  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    Voice network only? Or data network, too?

I should have been more clear, as I don't see any effect on my data network operation. It still switches down to 1xRTT even when I'm in a strong EVDO area.
    I don't know the specifics, but it should effect the network as a whole. Anyway the setting is in the phone prefs app so the change should show up there. For the real life effect maybe some other source will give better info.

Actually I guess this setting only effects on GSM phones not CDMA, but not sure.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    I don't know the specifics, but it should effect the network as a whole. Anyway the setting is in the phone prefs app so the change should show up there. For the real life effect maybe some other source will give better info.

Actually I guess this setting only effects on GSM phones not CDMA, but not sure.
    I see no changes at all in my Phone Prefs app when selecting "3G Only" versus anything else.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Since the most recent mode switcher update mode switching has been slugish or sometimes fails to happen. I've made no changes to any of the 7 modes I use, and have added no additional patches. I'd be happy if it was possible to revert to the previous version.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyea View Post
    Since the most recent mode switcher update mode switching has been slugish or sometimes fails to happen. I've made no changes to any of the 7 modes I use, and have added no additional patches. I'd be happy if it was possible to revert to the previous version.
    I noticed glitch in touchstone and touchstone night mode switching, sometimes modes do not switch correctly.
  8.    #928  
    I accidentally included a piece of testing code in the last release that might cause what you are experiencing. Other than that there just ain't any changes to MS that could cause it to behave differently. This code is reverted in 1.0.9 which is out tonight.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Seems to be working much better now (updated to 1.09). Mode switches are quick and do not hang. Thanks for your excellent work.
    Seems to be working much better now (updated to 1.09). Mode switches are quick and do not hang. Thanks for your excellent work.
    +1
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    After some more testing, I find this problem only exhibits itself on my Pre when I use a small radius in my GPS trigger. I drove the same route a few times. When I have a modifier mode configured that includes a GPS trigger with the 100 meter radius, then SprintNav struggles to hold a GPS fix. When I remove that trigger or expand the radius, SprintNav works fine.

I've reworked my modes some and no longer have a need for a GPS trigger in any of them, so I'm losing interest in exploring this issue any further.

Sconix, if you want to explore this, I am willing to do further testing. Just let me know what you want. My own personal curiosity is satisfied for now though, so unless I hear from you, I'm going to let it drop.
    Thanks for your input and research on this gps issue. As my two major modes are dependent on location triggers I'm really hoping Sconix can tweak the gps triggers a bit
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    For ex, I (and a lot of people) have a mode called Data on demand, where we only enable the data connection if we truly need it (launching email, web, other apps). Otherwise, we save battery by not having it enabled all the time; yes, you still receive texts and calls. Every 15 mins (as I have it), it enables the data and checks emails.

Do you have the "Data on Demand" mode posted anywhere (Google doc)? Would love to have that one - thanks!
    I accidentally included a piece of testing code in the last release that might cause what you are experiencing. Other than that there just ain't any changes to MS that could cause it to behave differently. This code is reverted in 1.0.9 which is out tonight.
    Whew ... I was having trouble too. Glad to hear it's not just me. The update seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you for giving us Mode Switcher!
    1.9 is working great! Thx for the quick update!
    I've read the manual and have a mode called "night" to trigger with a group of events. All the mode does is turn off all notification except for calls. So under the "System Settings" section the only three things I have listed are "Calendar: Reminder - Mute", Email: Alert - Mute", and "Messaging: MSG Alert - Mute"

Since the group of events includes a time trigger I set the mode manually to test. When I send my self an email I get sound. I've already restarted the phone to make sure that everything is set. I also have the patches that starts mode switcher no boot and displays the mode in the system bar. The bar correctly displays "night." What's going on? Why isn't it working? Am I doing something wrong?
    I figured out my own problem. If you have per account alert settings for your email in the email app then you need to set "per account" settings in Mode Switcher. The default "mute" action doesn't work otherwise.
  17.    #937  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    I figured out my own problem. If you have per account alert settings for your email in the email app then you need to set "per account" settings in Mode Switcher. The default "mute" action doesn't work otherwise.
    Do you mean that the global email alert option is still not working in 1.0.9? If so please let me know. I though I fixed it, but if thats not the case then I have to see again what is wrong. And to be sure could you re-add the email preferences to the mode so it wont have old configuration. Or if someone else could verify this it would be great.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    I was trying to switch on all radios on device restart. So I created 2 profiles. 1 with radios off and default profile with radios on. I have selected default profile on startup. However on restart, the radios are all off but when I switch modes and back to default, the radios turn on. Can anyone help me on this?
    Well I can confirm that changing the radius to larger values doesn't help. Sprint Navigation still "loses signal" after a while.

I can also confirm that then disabling Mode Switcher results in Sprint Navigation working properly.

I can also confirm re-enabling Mode Switcher but taking out the GPS triggers in any modes results in Sprint Navigation working properly.

This is a REALLY annoying bug, and hopefully won't be around in webOS 2.0 and in what I have to assume will be an updated Sprint Navigation app. I know you don't have a Sprint pre sconix, but do you have any thoughts or does anyone else on the webos internals team with a sprint pre have any thoughts?

Until then I am just using my two modes that had GPS triggers without the GPS trigger and trying to get by on Date & Time triggers alone. Should be workable, though not ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Well I can confirm that changing the radius to larger values doesn't help. Sprint Navigation still "loses signal" after a while.

I can also confirm that then disabling Mode Switcher results in Sprint Navigation working properly.

I can also confirm re-enabling Mode Switcher but taking out the GPS triggers in any modes results in Sprint Navigation working properly.

This is a REALLY annoying bug, and hopefully won't be around in webOS 2.0 and in what I have to assume will be an updated Sprint Navigation app. I know you don't have a Sprint pre sconix, but do you have any thoughts or does anyone else on the webos internals team with a sprint pre have any thoughts?

Until then I am just using my two modes that had GPS triggers without the GPS trigger and trying to get by on Date & Time triggers alone. Should be workable, though not ideal.
    Is there any chance of creating a mode that shuts down mode switcher? It could be triggered by launching Sprint Navigation?

Does the "Disable Mode Triggers" option allow Sprint Navigation to function properly? Specifically the "Disable Mode Triggers" in System Menu Mode Menu patch. Cause that seems like a pretty easy way to get it to work...
    http://forums.precentral.net/enlight...ml#post2623085
    Last edited by notcalvin; 11/12/2010 at 11:11 AM.