Page 45 of 63 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Decided to release my plans for MS 2.0 so that people can comment and remind me if I have forgot some very important things that I have promised.
    Ok, so I don't know whether you promised this, so I'm guessing you didn't, but I will still add my vote for it: if you can provide something in between closing all apps and doing nothing for when a mode closes or opens. IE, if there's a way to close only certain apps, or alternately prevent certain apps from closing. That would be very useful.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

2.    #882  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Ok, so I don't know whether you promised this, so I'm guessing you didn't, but I will still add my vote for it: if you can provide something in between closing all apps and doing nothing for when a mode closes or opens. IE, if there's a way to close only certain apps, or alternately prevent certain apps from closing. That would be very useful.
    This one depends on the if the framework in WebOS has advanced so that making per app configuration is reasonable. Anyway I add this to my list of to things to check. So if this is possible it will most likely be in 2.0 version.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    This one depends on the if the framework in WebOS has advanced so that making per app configuration is reasonable. Anyway I add this to my list of to things to check. So if this is possible it will most likely be in 2.0 version.
    Great, thanks!

Hey, my article on Mode Switcher was just published! Hope it is accurate and helps some folks, and informs more people about this great, powerful app. Would love your feedback on it!

Mode Switcher! Can Your Phone do This? | webOSroundup
    Great job on the article! Very well written/put together!

Only because I work on the wiki.... (Yes, it has been neglected some since a lot more time has been put into the ACAL and ACSP wiki. I'll get back to updating the MS wiki again.)

From your article:
    The other reference is the Mode Switcher Wiki, which I’ve found less useful but does offer some additional information in an accessible way that the manual doesn’t.
    Is there anything I can do in addition to make the wiki even better/more helpful & useful?

Thanks again for the article!

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    Great job on the article! Very well written/put together!

Only because I work on the wiki.... (Yes, it has been neglected some since a lot more time has been put into the ACAL and ACSP wiki. I'll get back to updating the MS wiki again.)

From your article:

Is there anything I can do in addition to make the wiki even better/more helpful & useful?

Thanks again for the article!
    Huh, not sure, I'll have to think about it. I do think it serves a purpose, the only thing is because there's such an excellent manual already it's almost as if the Wiki isn't necessary, which I suppose is a good problem to have!

It's never been officially explained, but the MS wiki is different from the patch wikis simply because the manual exists.

The MS wiki was therefore designated to be specifically for installation, initial setup, and release notes for MS, because the manual was already in place to give a dedicated overview of operation. That's why the manual does not include installation instructions or release notes. I don't consider it "less useful" than the manual, it just serves a completely different purpose.
    Huh, not sure, I'll have to think about it. I do think it serves a purpose, the only thing is because there's such an excellent manual already it's almost as if the Wiki isn't necessary, which I suppose is a good problem to have!
    Well... initially I think the wiki was going to contain the manual stuff, but was decided to separate it out (which I think is best & actually better the way it is).

So the wiki became a place for the description/summary, install procedures, limited FAQ (again, hope to get back to working on this wiki), links to manual/forum/donation/twitter and status (changelog).

IMHO, I don't think replicating the data from the manual to the wiki would be necessary (or visa versa), but I do think that anything can be improved, so if not only you, but others have suggestions, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Tobias beat me to it.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Levi,
    I like your article too.
    It really compliments and complements what sconix is doing.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    i dig mode switcher...just a concern (question)...if im not currently in a mode and that mode has BT enabled along with wifi and other stuff...everytime i just want to turn BT on, the mode starts. no biggy...love the work
    Treo 750, Sprint Pre, WebOS napkin© "in coming months"
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Yeah, I think the Wiki serves it's purpose, it's just it doesn't teach you about how to use the app. That's not bad, it's just not its role. In retrospect perhaps my "less useful" description wasn't fair, so I apologize, but essentially I got much more "use" out of the manual, and that's probably true for most since that is where you are actually learning about things. The wiki is more about meta info, cotact info, etc. It's useful, just not so much in the detailed operations of the app...

I think the only thing "missing" if you can even say this, from the mix, might be a good selection of short videos that show setting up a few basic modes and then demo how the mode switches based on a trigger. These would be helpful for people who are more visually oriented and don't have the time/patience to wade through a manual and large threads. Or just for people who aren't all that "technically"-minded. Certainly not a necessity, but it might help expand the number of users by giving those who initially don't get it a quick understanding of what it does...

Yeah, I think the Wiki serves it's purpose, it's just it doesn't teach you about how to use the app. That's not bad, it's just not its role. In retrospect perhaps my "less useful" description wasn't fair, so I apologize, but essentially I got much more "use" out of the manual, and that's probably true for most since that is where you are actually learning about things. The wiki is more about meta info, cotact info, etc. It's useful, just not so much in the detailed operations of the app...

I think the only thing "missing" if you can even say this, from the mix, might be a good selection of short videos that show setting up a few basic modes and then demo how the mode switches based on a trigger. These would be helpful for people who are more visually oriented and don't have the time/patience to wade through a manual and large threads. Or just for people who aren't all that "technically"-minded. Certainly not a necessity, but it might help expand the number of users by giving those who initially don't get it a quick understanding of what it does...
    No apology needed. As said before, it was just never really cut and dry; wiki for this, manual for that...

As for videos, a good idea. Not my cup of tea, but I am sure there are some other talented persons around these parts that could take the reins on that front.

12.    #892  
    Quote Originally Posted by darencas View Post
    i dig mode switcher...just a concern (question)...if im not currently in a mode and that mode has BT enabled along with wifi and other stuff...everytime i just want to turn BT on, the mode starts. no biggy...love the work
    Not sure what the problem/question is. Modes only start by triggers. If you have a trigger configured to trigger when bluetooth is on then mode starts. No other way for mode to start than it having a trigger.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawrnce View Post
    I've been having the same problem with GPS triggers. MS seems to "disable", for lack of a better word, the GPS...
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    This appeared to be happening on my Pre this past weekend as well...
    ...I removed that trigger, and SprintNav worked fine with MS active.

Next test will be to re-add that trigger and see if it brings the problem back.
    After some more testing, I find this problem only exhibits itself on my Pre when I use a small radius in my GPS trigger. I drove the same route a few times. When I have a modifier mode configured that includes a GPS trigger with the 100 meter radius, then SprintNav struggles to hold a GPS fix. When I remove that trigger or expand the radius, SprintNav works fine.

I've reworked my modes some and no longer have a need for a GPS trigger in any of them, so I'm losing interest in exploring this issue any further.

Sconix, if you want to explore this, I am willing to do further testing. Just let me know what you want. My own personal curiosity is satisfied for now though, so unless I hear from you, I'm going to let it drop.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
  14.    #894  
    After some more testing, I find this problem only exhibits itself on my Pre when I use a small radius in my GPS trigger. I drove the same route a few times. When I have a modifier mode configured that includes a GPS trigger with the 100 meter radius, then SprintNav struggles to hold a GPS fix. When I remove that trigger or expand the radius, SprintNav works fine.

I've reworked my modes some and no longer have a need for a GPS trigger in any of them, so I'm losing interest in exploring this issue any further.

Sconix, if you want to explore this, I am willing to do further testing. Just let me know what you want. My own personal curiosity is satisfied for now though, so unless I hear from you, I'm going to let it drop.
    Thanks for the info, so I guess the way the GPS stuff in WebOS works that it tries to obay the requested accuracy, and when multiple apps are requesting GPS data then the most accurate request is used for all. Since with small radius MS asks the most accurate data from the GPS service which might then cause the problem for other GPS apps hold the fix. Not sure maybe I should remove that and just use the default accuracy. Will do some tests when I get back to GPS trigger improvements.
    I have not followed the latest GPS discussion much, but wanted to throw this out there...

At least for my device (your mileage may vary), when I overclock to 1GHz with UberKernel, my gps signal acquisition goes to pot. Dropping back to 800 is better, with 720 being the best for more speed and faster signal acquisition times.

So not sure for others, but the faster I push the device the crappier the gps signal acquisition gets. Everything else runs great under the faster speeds. (Technical reasons why.. I am just guessing it interferes with the radios in the device when the processor is humming along faster than normal.)

So now, using MS of course, where I want to use a GPS trigger, I make sure that MS changes my govnah profile where I have a lower speed set so I get a fast gps lock. When I don't need the gps trigger, I ramp back up to 1GHz.

I've adjusted the radius some, but (again for me) the overclocking seems to be my issue with getting good gps acquisition times.

Just my $.02

That's interesting, oakridge. I wasn't aware of that.

I can rule that out as a variable for my particular issue. All of my testing was done while on a dash-mounted touchstone in the car, and the touchstone causes govnah to scale me back to 500mhz.

But good to know for general GPS issues. Might have to think some about having MS scale me back when I launch location aware apps that I'd be using away from the touchstone.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    That's interesting, oakridge. I wasn't aware of that.

I can rule that out as a variable for my particular issue. All of my testing was done while on a dash-mounted touchstone in the car, and the touchstone causes govnah to scale me back to 500mhz.

But good to know for general GPS issues. Might have to think some about having MS scale me back when I launch location aware apps that I'd be using away from the touchstone.
    I first noticed it when testing out an app I've been working on. When ever my speed was scaled back, gps was better. That got me digging around, and messing with Govnah settings. I messed a bit with the under-volting too, but I have not done extensive testing on that as to whether or not it would affect the gps too. (I don't see why, but I am not a kernel guru.)

dear sconix! As I stated before I really appreciate your work on improving great web os community! I have a question, it can be maybe related to one which I asked before about reducing time intervals, you answered that this is about web os palm codes and you can not change them. Ok, here is the question,is there any chance to reduce time from min 15 sec to at least 5 sec in application trigger? The point is that I have set up data connection on/off every 30 min for 5 min interval (unfortunately 5 min is minimum)_ but what I figured when I want to browse internet when I want I have to activate data connection manually, and I tought if I open web browser or email app and data turns on automatically? But 15 sec it's too long time to wait... Thank you .
  19.    #899  
    Quote Originally Posted by fantomaas View Post
    dear sconix! As I stated before I really appreciate your work on improving great web os community! I have a question, it can be maybe related to one which I asked before about reducing time intervals, you answered that this is about web os palm codes and you can not change them. Ok, here is the question,is there any chance to reduce time from min 15 sec to at least 5 sec in application trigger? The point is that I have set up data connection on/off every 30 min for 5 min interval (unfortunately 5 min is minimum)_ but what I figured when I want to browse internet when I want I have to activate data connection manually, and I tought if I open web browser or email app and data turns on automatically? But 15 sec it's too long time to wait... Thank you .
    The delay should be there only on mode closing. At least don't remember any trigger that would have it in mode start (I might be wrong though). Anyway at least some of those trigger delays are going away in MS 2.0.
    The delay should be there only on mode closing. At least don't remember any trigger that would have it in mode start (I might be wrong though). Anyway at least some of those trigger delays are going away in MS 2.0.
    that sounds good. I'd like to see delays go away for display state triggers.

I was just going to post this probem:

because of the delay, I've put a mode in my quicklaunch bar to turn my wifi on quickly. I have that mode tunrn another mode on to turn on data. I have them as separate modes, or else a third mode won't turn on to turn data off when wifi is connected.

my problem is with the "add Ms" option in my wifi mode. I've tried it a couple different ways, but it seems like when you have a mode activate another mode with "add ms", the first mode won't start from a launcher icon. I tap the icon, and it does nothing.