Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I can't guarantee that Mode Switcher is the issue... but I am running out of options and can't find anything specific that matches my dilemma searching the forums.

I use Mode Switch with various modes.

My issue is that even though I set my screen to "Turn Off After" at 5 minutes... it seems to always shut off around 1 minute... I have also noticed that the screen seems to turn on and off randomly by itself.

It is really rather annoying having the screen shut off so quickly.
    I also run in to issues if I try to immediately get the screen to come back on.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

**UPDATE** Further Clarificaiton... it appears this screen timer on/off issue is only when it is plugged in to a charger. Could Govnah be to blame?
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    I wouldn't say it is standard procedure for all, but I have found it helps when I get weird behaviour.

I have also found that I occasionally need to fix my other modes too esp after importing a mode.

I can't figure out how to import a mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    I can't figure out how to import a mode.
    Have you checked out the MS Manual?
    Section 7 is on importing/exporting.

I'm not going to go step by step, but Import Mode is found under the main MS screen/scene.
    Fill out the appropriate data and you'll be all set pending you have a Gdocs account and an exported mode already saved.
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 11/02/2010 at 03:00 PM.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Huh, that seems awfully inefficient to me, since I'll be getting out of my car way more times when I'm not at work. Just wondering why it wouldn't be finding me except that I'm currently inside. Maybe if the GPS takes too long to tell MS where you are, it doesn't work. I'm going to go outside now and see if that helps at all...

Yep! That was it! I went outside and within a minute or two, my work mode was triggered! I think the issue was that because I was playing with modes to configure them better, I got into my default mode while I was indoors, and so it wouldn't switch over because location services was taking to long to tell MS where I was? Normally this shouldn't be an issue as I'll be driving to work and have fine GPS reception in the car.

It does beg the point though whether or not Sconix can increase that time so that if people are indoors, GPS triggers will still activate. Sconix?
    Was going to suggest increasing your radius, but The Master has already responded. Alternatively, this is incentive to walk slower into your building.

GPS triggers have been troublesome for me too at times. MS both frustrates and excites me - I can see tremendous potential, but cannot always figure out how to get it to do what I want it to.

Awesome App Sconix.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    I had a similar issue trying to distinguish between 'car' and 'not car' touchstones. I went with 'upside down pre' (orientation) for my car mode. Seems to be working pretty well for me so far. Good luck!
    An added benefit of this 'upside down pre (orientation)' approach -- it keeps you from texting while driving too -- or at least makes it that much more difficult (and distracting!!)
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Not sure what time you mean. The GPS trigger is not the most fastest and it still needs some love from me to make it a bit better. But the main problem always is that GPS wont work indoors. If you have network connection and use also google services then it works rather well, but then you need your gps trigger to have a large radius since when the info comes from the network I think it usually has a quite large accuracy number.

But please try to explain me the situation more better that what time you meant. Since if there is a "scenario" in which some wait time would make things better it is always possible for me to add some more options to the trigger.
    I have a main mode called driving that is triggered by headset and is set to block other main modes. It has GPS Enabled as do all of my modes. When I arrive at work, I unplug my headset and MS switches to Default or Work. I haven't had this scenario long enough to determine how often it does one vs. the other. But it has done both. My Work mode is has a gps trigger which I've upped to 1000 meters. So does my Home mode. It seems that it always switches to my Home mode whereas it doesn't always with my Work. I don't think it has anything to do with the locations as my home is more cluttered with potential obstructions (houses and trees) to satellites vs. work, which is much more open. Network signal I think is similar in both places.

The scenario that is probably more relevant here is the one where you are already inside and have, for example, reset your phone. If you have it set to go to default mode, then it will currently stay there even if you are in a location that is set up to be triggered via gps, yes? In other words, if I reset the phone while I'm inside at work, it will go to default mode and stay there, vs. going to Work mode eventually. I realize I could prevent by changing the setting in the default mode, but this wouldn't avoid situations where you might manually change to a different mode even while at work for whatever reason, once you disable that other mode and it goes back to default, it will stay there. Sure, you can manually choose Work mode. So it's not some horrible issue, you can work around it, I just wonder if there is a way to not have to do that.

My understanding from what you have written above is that if you are inside, then you might not have a GPS signal. You might be located only by cellular triangulation. But this should still give you a location, right? And if your gps trigger threshold is large enough it should still work, yes? When I was playing with this at work, I went in to edit the GPS threshold and it placed me in the middle of the circle that represented the 1000 meters around the spot I picked for my Work mode, so I assume that meant my Pre's location services considered me in a spot that SHOULD have triggered the Work mode, and yet it did not. I continued to stay in the Default mode.

Hopefully these further descriptions help explain what I'm talking about and don't confuse you any further!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

My Work mode is GPS triggered, and I do what you said, manually trigger it if I have to reset my phone at work.

Lately I've been going for long stretches at a time without needing to manually reset. UberKernel has been very very stable for me.
  8.    #868  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasselhof View Post
    I can't guarantee that Mode Switcher is the issue... but I am running out of options and can't find anything specific that matches my dilemma searching the forums.

I use Mode Switch with various modes.

My issue is that even though I set my screen to "Turn Off After" at 5 minutes... it seems to always shut off around 1 minute... I have also noticed that the screen seems to turn on and off randomly by itself.

It is really rather annoying having the screen shut off so quickly.
    I also run in to issues if I try to immediately get the screen to come back on.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

**UPDATE** Further Clarificaiton... it appears this screen timer on/off issue is only when it is plugged in to a charger. Could Govnah be to blame?
    I am using govnah and screenstate and have no problems. I haven't been able to find the reason what is causing the problem you describe for some people. Mainly because its not happening to me. There might be some patch or app that is fighting against MS to set the screen back on after MS turns it off. So its not directly fault of MS, but the screen turning off in a charger is a hack since its not normally supported by WebOS, but it still should work.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  9.    #869  
    I have a main mode called driving that is triggered by headset and is set to block other main modes. It has GPS Enabled as do all of my modes. When I arrive at work, I unplug my headset and MS switches to Default or Work. I haven't had this scenario long enough to determine how often it does one vs. the other. But it has done both. My Work mode is has a gps trigger which I've upped to 1000 meters. So does my Home mode. It seems that it always switches to my Home mode whereas it doesn't always with my Work. I don't think it has anything to do with the locations as my home is more cluttered with potential obstructions (houses and trees) to satellites vs. work, which is much more open. Network signal I think is similar in both places.

The scenario that is probably more relevant here is the one where you are already inside and have, for example, reset your phone. If you have it set to go to default mode, then it will currently stay there even if you are in a location that is set up to be triggered via gps, yes? In other words, if I reset the phone while I'm inside at work, it will go to default mode and stay there, vs. going to Work mode eventually. I realize I could prevent by changing the setting in the default mode, but this wouldn't avoid situations where you might manually change to a different mode even while at work for whatever reason, once you disable that other mode and it goes back to default, it will stay there. Sure, you can manually choose Work mode. So it's not some horrible issue, you can work around it, I just wonder if there is a way to not have to do that.

My understanding from what you have written above is that if you are inside, then you might not have a GPS signal. You might be located only by cellular triangulation. But this should still give you a location, right? And if your gps trigger threshold is large enough it should still work, yes? When I was playing with this at work, I went in to edit the GPS threshold and it placed me in the middle of the circle that represented the 1000 meters around the spot I picked for my Work mode, so I assume that meant my Pre's location services considered me in a spot that SHOULD have triggered the Work mode, and yet it did not. I continued to stay in the Default mode.

Hopefully these further descriptions help explain what I'm talking about and don't confuse you any further!
    I plan to add the showing of the GPS triggers information to the MS for the 2.0 version so its easier to "debug" and see why the GPS trigger is not triggering. Even though it puts you right in the center its still possible that the accuracy it gives is too large, but currently its hard to see. You can actually see the info from messages log if you are interested to see why it wont activate.

BTW. have you set the driving mode to trigger the work mode when it closes? If not then that explains why it might not have time to trigger even though it knows the correct location. So if you haven't then please set your driving mode to trigger the work mode after mode close by using the MS app configuration.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I plan to add the showing of the GPS triggers information to the MS for the 2.0 version so its easier to "debug" and see why the GPS trigger is not triggering. Even though it puts you right in the center its still possible that the accuracy it gives is too large, but currently its hard to see. You can actually see the info from messages log if you are interested to see why it wont activate.

BTW. have you set the driving mode to trigger the work mode when it closes? If not then that explains why it might not have time to trigger even though it knows the correct location. So if you haven't then please set your driving mode to trigger the work mode after mode close by using the MS app configuration.
    I haven't set driving mode to trigger work mode when closing because most of the times I'm closing the mode I"m not at work. It's generally only 5 times were week. Whereas I'm actually driving home more than 5 times per week, and also driving other places more than 5 times per week. Is making it to go to work mode simply for the purpose of waking up the gps so that it will quickly confirm if it truly is at work and then if not will go into another mode that is more appropriate (ie default or home)? I guess I can try it, just seems like an inelegant workaround since it's having to switch to an intermediate mode before hitting a final mode in most cases, no?

I have a work mode and home mode triggered by wifi. I also have a car mode triggered by headset and touchstone. Using the wifi triggers allows them to switch between modes with no issues for me. I have set the modes to modifiers as well. Right now I am playing with a mode that will allow me to switch the phone off when at work. I guess we have had a signal change because at work now that I have applied the full bar battery and rssi patch I see how really bad my signal either is or has always been at work.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I haven't set driving mode to trigger work mode when closing because most of the times I'm closing the mode I"m not at work. It's generally only 5 times were week. Whereas I'm actually driving home more than 5 times per week, and also driving other places more than 5 times per week. Is making it to go to work mode simply for the purpose of waking up the gps so that it will quickly confirm if it truly is at work and then if not will go into another mode that is more appropriate (ie default or home)? I guess I can try it, just seems like an inelegant workaround since it's having to switch to an intermediate mode before hitting a final mode in most cases, no?
    When sconix suggests to tell MS to 'trigger' (MS action setting) work mode, it actually will "check the triggers" and only engage the mode if triggers are true. This is different than 'start' mode which will actually start the follow-on mode without considering the trigger conditions.

I think (maybe tobias or oakridge can confirm) that you can set ms to 'trigger' multiple modes after ending another - but I'm not sure what happens when it finds one = true; does it stop or continue to check...?

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I have a work mode and home mode triggered by wifi. I also have a car mode triggered by headset and touchstone. Using the wifi triggers allows them to switch between modes with no issues for me. I have set the modes to modifiers as well. Right now I am playing with a mode that will allow me to switch the phone off when at work. I guess we have had a signal change because at work now that I have applied the full bar battery and rssi patch I see how really bad my signal either is or has always been at work.

Unfortunately I have no wifi at work. Even if I did, I probably would not use it because then I'm limited as to what I can do - wouldn't want to have to be constantly on guard about accessing something NSFW that would trigger some alerts, etc. Plus admins might be able to access personal info, etc. Perhaps slightly paranoid, but still...

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    When sconix suggests to tell MS to 'trigger' (MS action setting) work mode, it actually will "check the triggers" and only engage the mode if triggers are true. This is different than 'start' mode which will actually start the follow-on mode without considering the trigger conditions.

I think (maybe tobias or oakridge can confirm) that you can set ms to 'trigger' multiple modes after ending another - but I'm not sure what happens when it finds one = true; does it stop or continue to check...?

Interesting. Ok, I tried this and it seems to work. Not sure if it will be more reliable than not having it in there, but I guess at this point it can't hurt, right?

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Hey, my article on Mode Switcher was just published! Hope it is accurate and helps some folks, and informs more people about this great, powerful app. Would love your feedback on it!

Mode Switcher! Can Your Phone do This? | webOSroundup

That's a great article, dvdmon. Well-written and very comprehensive. Nice job.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    That's a great article, dvdmon. Well-written and very comprehensive. Nice job.
    Thanks! That means a lot.

18.    #878  
    Hey, my article on Mode Switcher was just published! Hope it is accurate and helps some folks, and informs more people about this great, powerful app. Would love your feedback on it!

Mode Switcher! Can Your Phone do This? | webOSroundup
    Thanks for writing the article. IMHO its written very well and surprisingly comprehensive when considering the complexity of MS
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Thanks for writing the article. IMHO its written very well and surprisingly comprehensive when considering the complexity of MS
    Wow, Sconix, you've made my day!

20.    #880  
    Decided to release my plans for MS 2.0 so that people can comment and remind me if I have forgot some very important things that I have promised.

- The core functionality will be changed into service that is only running when triggers happens / mode is changing (This should mean the end of the patch requirement and dashboard mode). This also means that MS 2.0 only runs on WebOS 2.0.
    - Fixed one bug related to mode not changing in certain situation (in certain situation when multiple normal modes were set to start with same trigger and current mode was closing at the same time MS currently does not start the normal mode even its triggers are fine).
    - Fixed the global email alert configuration bug.
    - The require mode option from MS app configuration will be removed and a mode trigger added.
    - Interval trigger fixed to work with manual activation as well.
    - New preferences scene for disabling unwanted extensions completely.
    - Support for some of the settings brought by ACSP patch.
    - GPS trigger fine tuning.
    - Better media volume configuration (per front speaker/headphones/bluetooth/etc scenario).
    - Couple new settings such as pin timeout for screen lock setting.
    - New service configuration for requesting device reboot/shutdown.
    - Fixes / changes for the delays in some of the triggers.
    - Hopefully the problems with BT/Wifi connection state setting are also gone for good in WebOS 2.0.

So these are the main changes I try to get for 2.0. No timetable yet when ready, but before the years end thats for sure. For 2.1 I plan to add a new more user friendly user interface. When the 2.0 version starts to be in a good shape and if I have time I might release some of the fixes/changes for 1.0 MS as well, but my main focus is to make the 2.0 version ready first.