Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Hey all, didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers but all I was trying to do was find a tutorial or examples how MS works. Thanks DVDMON for actually answering the orig question.

Regarding other replys, implying that one should "read the manual" is being a little contentious don't you think?
    Stockh, I think this is a prime example of how electronic communication is the poor step-child of face-to-face dialogue, sinc it is easily misunderstood. Obviously you read the references to the manual as a snarky comment from people who thought you should be taking the time rather than bother them with questions. I took it as people trying to be genuinely helpful. The problem is perhaps that we see all to often snarky comments about "RTFM" but in this case the question was about how to learn something and while these folks didn't answer you directly, they, in my mind, were trying to help by indirectly saying "no, no tutorial, but check out the manual which is very helpful." No, they didn't use those words exactly. My tactic at this point with regards to electronic communication, and I think it should be everyone's (although it's very easy to forget - damn that human nature!), is to always assume the best of intentions until you are PROVEN otherwise. Most of the time you're immediate assumption of hostility will be proven incorrect, and when it isn't, often a response that assumes the best intention will be met with an apology from someone who simply rattled something off without thinking too much. That is another thing that tends to happen - we respond without a whole lot of thinking, mainly because it's so easy to type a few words into a message box and hit send. In particular we don't stop and think, "hmmm, if I was standing right in front of this person, would I say the same thing to his/her face?" I'm just as guilty as anyone else with all of these, but at least I try to make a concerted effort and when I don't feel like I have anything constructive to say, I just don't say anything at all...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I honestly think that the combination of the manual, wiki, and mode repository is a pretty decent "tutorial" to get most people started with Mode Switcher, and it's painfully obvious that people are willing to go to great lengths to help others to explain how to use the app beyond that.

Sorry for offending you, stockh, but you gave no inclination that you had read the documentation, so that was the logical first suggestion that I, and others, offered. If you really thought that was an intention to upset you, I have to inform you that it was not.

It seems to me that there have been thousands of posts about MS, and 99.9999% of them have been attitude free. This says to me that it is possible for people to get the information they need to use the app without resorting to a poor attitude. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    All the triggers work the same way they trigger when the configured event happens and are valid until the negative of that happens. So when you add headphones connected trigger the mode activates when headphones connected and deactivates when you remove the headphones. No need to add second trigger.
    Ok so I added to the settings of the one trigger, on close, close started apps. Thinking that this would mean that once the mode deactivates it closes the app. But then this goes back to the same problem, ones headset it put in, music player launches, and then quits.
    I bet you have a fault headset connection, like a lot of us.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I've decided to trigger my driving mode by headset. Somehow when I try to activate it manually it's hit or miss. I think this may be partially due to how I've set up triggers for my other modes. I'll try to explain. Basically I have a home mode and a work mode each of which gets triggered by GPS. However, when it goes into either of these locations it GPS is turned off (since I know where I am and I don't do anything needing geolocation). So when I hit the driving mode in either of these places, it turns the gps on and triggers the home or work modes again. Even if I go out of range of these places it still does this, at least initially. I think this is because when the gps gets turned on, it initially thinks it's in the last place it was before being turned off (ie home/work). I suppose if I put a delay on that trigger, it might give the GPS time to reset, but I'd still probably need to wait until I was truly out of range, which might take 5 minutes after driving away from my house/work. It's not optimal in other words. I'd rather turn it on automatically. I can also set the driving mode to block these other modes, but then I'm again back at having to manually deactivate the driving mode. This is what I had attempted to set up initially, thinking that doing everything manually would give me more control, but now that I think about it, I can accomplish the same thing still "manually" but with a headset trigger. Instead of fumbling on my phone to disable the driving mode (or turning it on), for me it's a lot easier to plug in the headset. For those with Touchstones or BT in their car I imagine it would be even easier.

Sorry for rambling so much, it helps to write this out while thinking it through. My only question would be this: is there any conceivable way I might a) distinguish between the regular stereo headset I might plug into my phone to listen to stuff outside the car and the male-male 3.5mm cable that goes from my pre to the aux in jack on my car stereo? And b) any conceivable way of telling that the Pre is connected to a car charger (not a touchstone) as opposed to a wall charger or touchstone or usb connection?

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    I've decided to trigger my driving mode by headset. Somehow when I try to activate it manually it's hit or miss. I think this may be partially due to how I've set up triggers for my other modes. I'll try to explain. Basically I have a home mode and a work mode each of which gets triggered by GPS. However, when it goes into either of these locations it GPS is turned off (since I know where I am and I don't do anything needing geolocation). So when I hit the driving mode in either of these places, it turns the gps on and triggers the home or work modes again. Even if I go out of range of these places it still does this, at least initially. I think this is because when the gps gets turned on, it initially thinks it's in the last place it was before being turned off (ie home/work). I suppose if I put a delay on that trigger, it might give the GPS time to reset, but I'd still probably need to wait until I was truly out of range, which might take 5 minutes after driving away from my house/work. It's not optimal in other words. I'd rather turn it on automatically. I can also set the driving mode to block these other modes, but then I'm again back at having to manually deactivate the driving mode. This is what I had attempted to set up initially, thinking that doing everything manually would give me more control, but now that I think about it, I can accomplish the same thing still "manually" but with a headset trigger. Instead of fumbling on my phone to disable the driving mode (or turning it on), for me it's a lot easier to plug in the headset. For those with Touchstones or BT in their car I imagine it would be even easier.

Sorry for rambling so much, it helps to write this out while thinking it through. My only question would be this: is there any conceivable way I might a) distinguish between the regular stereo headset I might plug into my phone to listen to stuff outside the car and the male-male 3.5mm cable that goes from my pre to the aux in jack on my car stereo? And b) any conceivable way of telling that the Pre is connected to a car charger (not a touchstone) as opposed to a wall charger or touchstone or usb connection?
    yes a touchstone in tandom with a bluetooth fm transmitter is what i have found to be the best for a car trigger. -- i used a the TS and a time trigger initially -prior to the BT triggers but this was problematic as my drive times varied day to day and job to job. i get in my car and when i set the phone on the TS my CAR mode initiates as it auto connects to the BT when i get within 30' of the car -- i use GPS to turn on WIFI when i get home or to my office and then the WIFI connection to iniate my HOME or OFFICE mode -- i use the calendar mode as modifiers to change volumes and wallpapers for a lot of things -- meetings / team spirit etc.

SCONIX IS A SUPERHUMAN for creating this ap and if that had been the last thing he did he would have been an over achiever but ....the patches too come on surely he is a team of people to have done so much

there i too am done rambeling and thinking

oh and to answer the last part of your question -- i do not think that the pre can tell the difference between a car charger and a wall charger --
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Hey all, didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers but all I was trying to do was find a tutorial or examples how MS works. Thanks DVDMON for actually answering the orig question.

Regarding other replys, implying that one should "read the manual" is being a little contentious don't you think?

With that being said, MS was a little too much trouble setting up (at least for me) so I'll go back to rebooting my pre manually for now. (damn you webOS!)
    Come on Stock. Don't give up yet man. MS looks complicated, but it truly isnt. I have MS rebooting mine automatically every other day, opening blackjack to get the free chips, enabling the data connection based on demand, and battery life rules.

You mention "so I'll go back to rebooting my pre manually". Nah man, that is old school. With MS (as I have it), you setup a mode called whatever (Reboot), and you tell it to launch a reboot app which I can point you to. THen you establish a trigger for that mode, probably time of day. SO you tell it to reboot for you on M,W,F at 5am, for example. Or whatever days and times you want. Done. And it works.

Like I said, send me a private message (PM), and I will help you get started.

Remember. Pre users are stubborn, intelligent, persistent folk that continue to press on until we get what we want (sort of). You are one of them.

If MS proves too complicated for you or whatever, then simply download an app called Preset Reset which reboots your phone when you tell it to.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    So I am STILL having issues with modes not starting properly. I added triggers to my driving mode to have it trigger when you put the headset in. It was doing it fine yesterday when I added it, then this morning after getting up and into the car to go to work, first putting the headset in did nothing, then it activated night mode (as had previously been happening when I would manually activate driving mode)! I'm at a point where I'm thinking there is something either messed up with my mode implementations or specifically something with my night mode, since this seems to happen consistantly in the morning, then after a luna reset it doesn't happen again till the following morning... I'm thinking of just blowing out all my modes and starting from scratch. we'll see...

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    LOL! After going back to modify my driving mode, I realized I had a mode switcher setting that was set to Before Mode State - Start Mode - Previous Mode! So of course the only way it's able to start the Driving mode is after a Luna restart when there IS no previous mode. Ugh! This is what happens when you have such a powerful, flexible interface - if you're not careful you can make things fail because you've somehoe managed to make a logically inconsistant setting. It's almost like programming in a way, just without the code ;-)

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I have a modifier mode (Mobile Hotspot) that doesn't show up on the mode menu. Any idea why that might happen? Maybe I've run into a maximum number of entries? I have six other modes that do show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawrnce View Post
    I've been having the same problem with GPS triggers. MS seems to "disable", for lack of a better word, the GPS. When I turn off MS, GPS tracking works fine (in Sprint Nav and Google Maps); enable MS and I lose the GPS signal. Kinda frustrating. Hope 2.0 can address this. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    This appeared to be happening on my Pre this past weekend as well. I can't say I've done enough testing to show that MS is definitely the culprit, but that's the way it's looking right now.

I had a long drive along I-95, where both cell and GPS reception are reliable. I ran SprintNav the whole way. On my way up, the GPS only worked sporadically. It would catch a signal for a few minutes and then the little 'no sattelite' icon would come on. By sporadically, I mean it would work for a minute or two out of every hour. On the trip home, I disabled MS, and SprintNav worked flawlessly the whole way.

I hope to experiment with this a bit in the next few days if I have time, and if I do, I'll post my findings back here.
    I noticed some instances like "palm-webos-device user.crit LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: com.palm.org.e-lnx.wee.apps.modeswitcher: Error: Insufficient GPS accuracy: 1548, palmInitFramework347:2527" in /var/log/messages, which reminded me that I had a trigger in one of my modifier modes set like "when GPS position not = x". I removed that trigger, and SprintNav worked fine with MS active.

Next test will be to re-add that trigger and see if it brings the problem back.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, as I'm reconfiguring modes, I have a question. I have a Home mode that gets triggered by GPS, then a night mode that is triggered by time. If I trigger the Night mode but keep GPS on, I'm assuming that the Home mode will then reclaim my Pre and it could set up a battle throughout the night as to which mode is active, yes? I haven't witnessed this, but then I'm generally not looking at my Pre late at night. So I suppose the "correct" way to do this is to set the night mode as a modifier mode? So that it just gets overlaid on top of Home?

Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    dvdmon - I'm sure you've already thought of this, but you may have a bad jack. A be a pretty prevalent problem.

I had a similar issue trying to distinguish between 'car' and 'not car' touchstones. I went with 'upside down pre' (orientation) for my car mode. Seems to be working pretty well for me so far. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    I have a modifier mode (Mobile Hotspot) that doesn't show up on the mode menu. Any idea why that might happen? Maybe I've run into a maximum number of entries? I have six other modes that do show up.
    Use Gesture+Tap to open the menu. That reveals the options to hide or unhide modes on that menu. Check to see if the one you're looking for is marked as hidden.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    dvdmon - I'm sure you've already thought of this, but you may have a bad jack. A be a pretty prevalent problem.

I had a similar issue trying to distinguish between 'car' and 'not car' touchstones. I went with 'upside down pre' (orientation) for my car mode. Seems to be working pretty well for me so far. Good luck!
    I don't think so, but thanks. I think this really was the issue of this spurious Mode Setting thing in the Apps category that was set to activate the previous mode even before driving mode was activated.

Just tried in now at work and it works perfectly. However, when I close the driving mode (by removing the headset), it just goes back to default instead of going to my work mode. My work mode is triggered by GPS, but it doesn't seem to be activating for some reason. Any hints at forcing it to? When I go home it seems to activate based on my home gps trigger no problem...

I don't think so, but thanks. I think this really was the issue of this spurious Mode Setting thing in the Apps category that was set to activate the previous mode even before driving mode was activated.

Just tried in now at work and it works perfectly. However, when I close the driving mode (by removing the headset), it just goes back to default instead of going to my work mode. My work mode is triggered by GPS, but it doesn't seem to be activating for some reason. Any hints at forcing it to? When I go home it seems to activate based on my home gps trigger no problem...
    You could maybe try adding MS as an app in your car mode, set it to After Mode Close, Trigger Mode, Work. If I understand correctly, that will force it to scan the Work triggers when Car closes.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    You could maybe try adding MS as an app in your car mode, set it to After Mode Close, Trigger Mode, Work. If I understand correctly, that will force it to scan the Work triggers when Car closes.
    Huh, that seems awfully inefficient to me, since I'll be getting out of my car way more times when I'm not at work. Just wondering why it wouldn't be finding me except that I'm currently inside. Maybe if the GPS takes too long to tell MS where you are, it doesn't work. I'm going to go outside now and see if that helps at all...

Yep! That was it! I went outside and within a minute or two, my work mode was triggered! I think the issue was that because I was playing with modes to configure them better, I got into my default mode while I was indoors, and so it wouldn't switch over because location services was taking to long to tell MS where I was? Normally this shouldn't be an issue as I'll be driving to work and have fine GPS reception in the car.

It does beg the point though whether or not Sconix can increase that time so that if people are indoors, GPS triggers will still activate. Sconix?

Ok, as I'm reconfiguring modes, I have a question. I have a Home mode that gets triggered by GPS, then a night mode that is triggered by time. If I trigger the Night mode but keep GPS on, I'm assuming that the Home mode will then reclaim my Pre and it could set up a battle throughout the night as to which mode is active, yes? I haven't witnessed this, but then I'm generally not looking at my Pre late at night. So I suppose the "correct" way to do this is to set the night mode as a modifier mode? So that it just gets overlaid on top of Home?
    I'm assuming both Home and Night are Normal modes in this scenario and that neither blocks other modes. If I understand the MS logic correctly (which I'm not sure I do), you would stay in Night mode until one of three things happen:
    1) You get to the end of your time for Night, at which point you would switch to Default
    2) You carry the phone outside of the Home GPS radius and then back into that radius, at which point it would switch to Home
    3) You cycle the GPS radio off and then back on, at which point you would switch to Home

I believe a Normal mode is only fired at the moment the trigger changes from true to false. If you exit a Normal mode while a trigger is still true, that trigger remaining true does not restart that mode. It has to go to false and then back to true (unless you have MS listed as an app in another mode and that mode tells MS to rescan the triggers).

I haven't been following this thread all that long. If I'm contardicting something that has been stated earlier, by all means, jump in and correct me.
  19.    #859  
    The GPS trigger is implemented in a way that if you don't change the mode when the GPS trigger detects that you have arrived a configured area the first time then it won't bug you about it again until it has registered leaving from that area. But if the GPS trigger detects the area after you have activated Home mode then it will try to activate if no blocking is set in home mode. The proper mode trigger is coming in future version so that its easier to block certain modes when some mode is active.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  20.    #860  
    Huh, that seems awfully inefficient to me, since I'll be getting out of my car way more times when I'm not at work. Just wondering why it wouldn't be finding me except that I'm currently inside. Maybe if the GPS takes too long to tell MS where you are, it doesn't work. I'm going to go outside now and see if that helps at all...

Yep! That was it! I went outside and within a minute or two, my work mode was triggered! I think the issue was that because I was playing with modes to configure them better, I got into my default mode while I was indoors, and so it wouldn't switch over because location services was taking to long to tell MS where I was? Normally this shouldn't be an issue as I'll be driving to work and have fine GPS reception in the car.

It does beg the point though whether or not Sconix can increase that time so that if people are indoors, GPS triggers will still activate. Sconix?
    Not sure what time you mean. The GPS trigger is not the most fastest and it still needs some love from me to make it a bit better. But the main problem always is that GPS wont work indoors. If you have network connection and use also google services then it works rather well, but then you need your gps trigger to have a large radius since when the info comes from the network I think it usually has a quite large accuracy number.

But please try to explain me the situation more better that what time you meant. Since if there is a "scenario" in which some wait time would make things better it is always possible for me to add some more options to the trigger.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.