Page 42 of 63 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142434445464752 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    is there a tutorial for mode switcher?for some reason I can't seem to grasp the operation of this app. I can set some settings tweaking the default mode but don't understand how adding my own modes work. I did manage to create my own mode but not sure how it can auto load on reboot.

sorry for all the questions but I couldn't find any tutorial or walk through of this app. (examples would be great)

thanks
    Start with the first post of this thread. It directs you to a great deal of information to get you started with MS.

There is also a Mode Repository thread with some modes to get you started.
    stockh
    i had the same troubles at first. Follow tobias advice and read. PM me if you want and describe what you want to accomplish. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

For ex, I (and a lot of people) have a mode called Data on demand, where we only enable the data connection if we truly need it (launching email, web, other apps). Otherwise, we save battery by not having it enabled all the time; yes, you still receive texts and calls. Every 15 mins (as I have it), it enables the data and checks emails.

I have another mode in which my phone goes to sleep at 11pm and wakes at 7---no calls, no nothing.
    I have another mode where I launch a blackjack game to get bonus chips given at random just for launching the app.
    I have another mode that enables my home wifi when I set it on the touchstone.

The possibilities are endless, but it all depends on what your phone usage pattern is. I can truly say that disabling the data mode really extends the battery life.

So, read, and ask; this is an awesome app.
    Last edited by NABRIL15; 10/31/2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I hope you are being sarcastic when you are suggesting to "read". There are over 800+ posts on this thread alone. some of them relating to "how to" some not.

I was hoping there was a tutorial all in one place instead of "reading" this whole thread.

Thanks anyway
    The Mode Swittcher wiki and manual can be found in my signature. Reading those should clear some things up.
    stockh:

From two posts up:

Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Start with the first post of this thread. It directs you to a great deal of information to get you started with MS.

There is also a Mode Repository thread with some modes to get you started.
    The manual and wiki page for MS is linked in the first post of this thread.

Please read them (and try to relax). There is no reason for the attitude you're displaying towards people who are trying to help you. Any further posts you make that indicate you have not followed the directions outlined above will be moderated.
    is there a tutorial for mode switcher?for some reason I can't seem to grasp the operation of this app. I can set some settings tweaking the default mode but don't understand how adding my own modes work. I did manage to create my own mode but not sure how it can auto load on reboot.

sorry for all the questions but I couldn't find any tutorial or walk through of this app. (examples would be great)

thanks
    Look a little closer at the first post in the thread. There is both a manual and a wiki. You should read them both.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    guess I should have stated that I checked wiki and the manual BEFORE I dared ask help from this thread. I thought maybe some insight could be shed but alas the responses are no better than:

you bought the wrong phone
    do a search
    read the first post
    etc....
    im not sure if im doing the importing of modes right. i want to check out the data on demand mode. ive put it in my google docs, and signed in in the "import mode" scene..but it doesnt do anything. i also have "show shared modes" turned on..so..any help would be appriciated, thanks.
    guess I should have stated that I checked wiki and the manual BEFORE I dared ask help from this thread. I thought maybe some insight could be shed but alas the responses are no better than:

do a search
    read the first post
    etc....
    you did ask if there was a manual, and they were pointing you towards it.

Application:ModeSwitcher - WebOS Internals
    Mode Switcher Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    im not sure if im doing the importing of modes right. i want to check out the data on demand mode. ive put it in my google docs, and signed in in the "import mode" scene..but it doesnt do anything. i also have "show shared modes" turned on..so..any help would be appriciated, thanks.
    When I tried there was basically a blank scene where it looks like there would be a list. I tapped (on nothing!) on what would be the top of the list, and it imported the mode! If that doesn't work I don't know how to help you. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    When I tried there was basically a blank scene where it looks like there would be a list. I tapped (on nothing!) on what would be the top of the list, and it imported the mode! If that doesn't work I don't know how to help you. Good luck!
    thanks, but I'm not getting a blank screen.

I have a copy of the exported mode on my phone too, so a browse options would be nice in the future, like attaching a file in email
    in the meantime, I made some mod modes to enable/disable data and wifi based on screen state. Not everything behaves 100% for some reasn, but it's good enough. It would help if each trigger had the option of "no delay"
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Not sure if others have found this, but I'm getting some weirdness with activating modes manually. Basically, when I hit the icon in my launcher or in the system menu, it will activate a different mode than the one I've selected, as if the index of the modes has gotten mixed up somehow. The only way to rectify it is to restart the phone/luna, at which point things work normally again. Anyone else see this?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts

do a search
    read the first post
    etc....
    lol, ok, here you go. No, there is no tutorial. There is a manual, a wiki, and three threads here on Precentral. If that's not enough, not sure where to go. I think there might be one video on Youtube if you search... Wait, there's at least one video on Youtube: , although I'm not sure if it will be that helpful. I will sometimes do a search on Youtube for things that I want to have a more visual learning for.

I will say that MS does take a bit of time and effort to get into, especially given it's huge number of possible uses. Right now unfortunately only the written stuff already mentioned is available (as well as an article that should be out later today that I wrote - I'll post here when it does). Having a video intro that has goes through some basics might be a useful tool for those struggling to get the initial concepts down. I know that with some programming concepts that are completely new to me it sometimes helps to see them illustrated in a visual way with someone else setting them out step by step. Kind of like my brain needs to be tricked into taking them up by not realizing it's actually learning something totally new ;-) Someone who's active on these threads might want to take up the challenge and create a video of setting up some basic modes and showing how they actually work...

do a search
    read the first post
    etc....
    first of all no one said you bought the wrong phone did they?
    second -- wow you asked a pretty general question to be answered in a forum post -- you asked if there was a tutorial and people answered you -- they said that there is a wiki and a manual. no one has made a tutorial. one reason may be because there are so many things that MS can do where would one start? maybe you could ask some specific questions -- like are you having problems getting it installed? is there something that you want to do?
    i have MS do alot of things it opens music player and turns up the volume when i get in my car and put the phone on a touchstone -- it turns on wifi when i get near my home or office -- it changes the way the phone operates when connected to wifi -- ie turns off the ringer at work and turns it up at home among other things -- it changes my wallpaper when either the avalanche or the raiders are playing and different for home and away games -- it turns almost everything off when the battery gets low -- really as you can see by the length of this post there are neverending possibilities so if you ask some specific questions -- people will help -- you come across as combative and that will get you no help -- in fact what it will get you is flamed and ran.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    One more issue to report: I have a driving mode that is set to check email manually. And yet sometimes my phone turns on and I see the dashboard a notification that I have email. At other times my screen turns on for no discernable reason. I also have it set to turn the screen off after 5 minutes (for GPS purposes), so when I'm NOT using the GPS, this can get annoying as I'd prefer my phone just stay off the whole time. I think what I may have to do is have two driving modes, one where I'm going to use GPS and other where I don't (and thus can turn off data, can set the screen timeout to 15 seconds, etc.)...

I hope you are being sarcastic when you are suggesting to "read". There are over 800+ posts on this thread alone. some of them relating to "how to" some not.

I was hoping there was a tutorial all in one place instead of "reading" this whole thread.

Thanks anyway
    mespiff---great reply. MS is extremely powerful, and can be programmed to do a lot of things based on a lot of things.

stockster
    how do you think we all learn about a particular patch or issue? By reading lots of threads. Sure, some are unrelated, as we all interject with our selfish questions, but that is the nature of a forum. The reply that seems ridiculous to you, may help someone else.

So. By "read', I meant the manual--it is only 6 pages or so, and explains everything about MS. Sure, it may seem unclear at first, but adding what you read in the manual to what you read in the threads, makes you/us understand.

Like I said, PM me, and I'll be glad to help you get started.
    Last edited by NABRIL15; 11/01/2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawrnce View Post
    I've been having the same problem with GPS triggers. MS seems to "disable", for lack of a better word, the GPS. When I turn off MS, GPS tracking works fine (in Sprint Nav and Google Maps); enable MS and I lose the GPS signal. Kinda frustrating. Hope 2.0 can address this. thanks
    This appeared to be happening on my Pre this past weekend as well. I can't say I've done enough testing to show that MS is definitely the culprit, but that's the way it's looking right now.

I had a long drive along I-95, where both cell and GPS reception are reliable. I ran SprintNav the whole way. On my way up, the GPS only worked sporadically. It would catch a signal for a few minutes and then the little 'no sattelite' icon would come on. By sporadically, I mean it would work for a minute or two out of every hour. On the trip home, I disabled MS, and SprintNav worked flawlessly the whole way.

I hope to experiment with this a bit in the next few days if I have time, and if I do, I'll post my findings back here.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I would try exporting one of your modes to the same Google account, and then making sure the name of the mode you are trying to import uses the same format as the one you just exported. MS is particular about the naming format.

If that doesn't work, try copying the text of the mode into a Google doc that you create, and name it appropriately, then try again. One or both of these steps should take care of the problem.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Hey all, didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers but all I was trying to do was find a tutorial or examples how MS works. Thanks DVDMON for actually answering the orig question.

Regarding other replys, implying that one should "read the manual" is being a little contentious don't you think?

With that being said, MS was a little too much trouble setting up (at least for me) so I'll go back to rebooting my pre manually for now. (damn you webOS!)