Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I don't understand why you think this. Mode switcher is good at changing all kinds of settings, including volume, screen brightness, etc. But it shouldn't set the keyboard brightness? It seems to me that kbd brightness is just another setting that'd be nice if mode switcher could manipulate.

The patches that sconix has released for keyboard brightness are a certainly a reasonable substitute. But why not just include the feature in mode switcher? Why is this setting amongst all the settings that it does an inappropriate one?
    Because as far as most users are concerned, they just want to be able to see the keyboard in the dark. Changing the keyboard brightness to never go to 0% is in my opinion (and sconix') a bug fix for WebOS, not a setting that needs to constantly be monitored or changed on the fly. I personally can't think of a single occasion where I would want to change the keyboard brightness. If I can see the keys, I'm happy.

As you said, there are patches being submitted to offer all kinds of choices as far as keyboard brightness goes.

And I will also point out that no one is prevented from creating a trigger or setting for MS and either sending it to sconix to include in the app or releasing it themselves as a patch. Sconix designed MS to be modular in this way, and I'm sure he'd be happy to explain to an adventurous coder how to accomplish this feat.

I will point out yet again that people need to think carefully before making a feature request, and once one has been made and sconix has given his opinion on the matter, that's where it should stay. He has documented his roadmap for his patches and applications extensively, so anything we can do to keep his time free to focus on what he's already planned is a good thing.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I don't understand why you think this. Mode switcher is good at changing all kinds of settings, including volume, screen brightness, etc. But it shouldn't set the keyboard brightness? It seems to me that kbd brightness is just another setting that'd be nice if mode switcher could manipulate.

The patches that sconix has released for keyboard brightness are a certainly a reasonable substitute. But why not just include the feature in mode switcher? Why is this setting amongst all the settings that it does an inappropriate one?
    The reason I said this is because I can't think of any reasons why you would ever have an event trigger the need to change the keyboard lighting (although I guess you could make a similar argument for the screen backlight). That's really all I was thinking. Although I guess if you were going to have a "dim screen" mode, you might want to also control the keyboard brightness. I don't know. Since there are other patches that do this already, I understand why it would be low priority to add it to MS.
    My desire to have keyboard brightness setting is so that I don't have to run both brightness unlinked or quick system tasks along with MS. The problem is that when the keyboard brightness is mapped to the screen brightness, I can't see what I'm typing when I'm in an otherwise dark room.

I agree that a fixed keyboard brightness patch is sufficient to solve this problem.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    First, I have to say this app is sweet. I love the potential. Sconix, and the others that have helped put together the manual & wiki, thanks!

Perhaps someone can give me an idea as to what troubleshooting steps I could use for the following issues/items:

I have a "home" mode, trigger is "Connected to" my home wifi. This works fine & triggers when I get home. I have a "night" time modifier, which turns volume down & sets certain features just to vibrate. Its trigger is a time of day trigger. I have an issue where sometimes, the modifier triggers, turns the volume down, then it seems like the regular home mode triggers imemdiately after and volume goes back up. The '+' is next to the mode and the modifier is 'on', but the settings are of the normal mode.

Is there a way to ensure the modifier takes precedence? I've played with the MS settings option under the apps section, but haven't found the correct tweak.

A second issue I have is I have a time of day trigger for when I'm at work. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If my time of day trigger is 8-5, and I have my car mode activated (BT trigger, block other normal modes, so work doesn't kick off the BT), when I turn off BT, should it go to default, and then if between 8-5, it then activate 'Work'? Or is it that the trigger is 8 exactly and after then it becomes a manual switch? I'd set Wifi, but the private wifi works only for network computers, and the public wifi requires username and password on a webpage portal ever 24 hours. So, a time of day trigger is best I can do. GPS has been very hit or miss, mostly miss, for my phone.

A third item is: I have a couple apps I like want open all the time. So, I set them to launch "On Startup", so whenever phone reboots, I want them open, and then I set "on startup" to 'default mode.' When I do that, the apps start, but mode stays in default, unless I force a switch. I've tried setting MS events such as: after mode start, trigger mode, all normal modes; thinking that when the phone restarts, default would load, the apps load, and all normal mode triggers would be checked to see if any apply. It just seems that default stays on, until I switch it myself.

For what it is worth, I too have had the Wifi and BT freeze up, much like mentioned in several posts, so I just leave those on all the time. The only thing I have off is GPS and this is because I can rarely ever get it to work, and I usually have to restart the device to get it to work.

Finally, something that might help me understand how to better set up the modes: how does the trigger process work? Is it looking for a one time act or is it continous? For example: time of day trigger: Does it trigger at the initial set time only or throughout the whole event?

Sorry for the length post, and thanks in advance for any help provided.
  5.    #745  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgonsoulin View Post
    First, I have to say this app is sweet. I love the potential. Sconix, and the others that have helped put together the manual & wiki, thanks!

Perhaps someone can give me an idea as to what troubleshooting steps I could use for the following issues/items:

I have a "home" mode, trigger is "Connected to" my home wifi. This works fine & triggers when I get home. I have a "night" time modifier, which turns volume down & sets certain features just to vibrate. Its trigger is a time of day trigger. I have an issue where sometimes, the modifier triggers, turns the volume down, then it seems like the regular home mode triggers imemdiately after and volume goes back up. The '+' is next to the mode and the modifier is 'on', but the settings are of the normal mode.

Is there a way to ensure the modifier takes precedence? I've played with the MS settings option under the apps section, but haven't found the correct tweak.
    If the + sign is still there it means that at least some modifier mode is active so the volume settings should not be from normal mode. So check your other modifier modes that can they trigger at the same time or set the night mode to block modifier modes. If you can't figure this one out you can always use the problem report action in the menu right after this problem has happened.

A second issue I have is I have a time of day trigger for when I'm at work. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If my time of day trigger is 8-5, and I have my car mode activated (BT trigger, block other normal modes, so work doesn't kick off the BT), when I turn off BT, should it go to default, and then if between 8-5, it then activate 'Work'? Or is it that the trigger is 8 exactly and after then it becomes a manual switch? I'd set Wifi, but the private wifi works only for network computers, and the public wifi requires username and password on a webpage portal ever 24 hours. So, a time of day trigger is best I can do. GPS has been very hit or miss, mostly miss, for my phone.
    The time of day trigger only triggers when the time passes the exact set time. If you want it to trigger between those times when some other mode closes then add MS app into your mode (in this case to the car mode) and set it to trigger the work mode on mode close. Then when the mode closes it will trigger (check) that should the work mode be active. The usage of MS app is a bit hard to grasp (the manual should help), but the more user friendly UI will come most likely after I get the 2.0 release out so not very soon but it is coming.

A third item is: I have a couple apps I like want open all the time. So, I set them to launch "On Startup", so whenever phone reboots, I want them open, and then I set "on startup" to 'default mode.' When I do that, the apps start, but mode stays in default, unless I force a switch. I've tried setting MS events such as: after mode start, trigger mode, all normal modes; thinking that when the phone restarts, default would load, the apps load, and all normal mode triggers would be checked to see if any apply. It just seems that default stays on, until I switch it myself.

For what it is worth, I too have had the Wifi and BT freeze up, much like mentioned in several posts, so I just leave those on all the time. The only thing I have off is GPS and this is because I can rarely ever get it to work, and I usually have to restart the device to get it to work.
    The adding of trigger all modes to default mode with after starting should do the job. So it should check all modes for active triggers. There still might be some trigger(s) that don't know its right state right after the phone is started (at least silent switch trigger is like that) which prevents the MS to notice the mode that should be active. So you might want to test with modes that have only one time trigger for instance. Maybe you find a setup that works. There will be fixes to this right after I have got all my work updated for WebOS 2.0 which is currently taking my time.

And the BT/Wifi bug is unfortuned, but really fault in WebOS. I am very hopeful that 2.0 will make things better.

Finally, something that might help me understand how to better set up the modes: how does the trigger process work? Is it looking for a one time act or is it continous? For example: time of day trigger: Does it trigger at the initial set time only or throughout the whole event?

Sorry for the length post, and thanks in advance for any help provided.
    Triggers are... well triggers so they only happen on the "edge". Of course some triggers work bit differently like GPS trigger. This makes MS to consume very little of battery. If the events would be monitored / polled then MS would eat lots of battery and defeat its purpose so hence the triggers only happen on "edges".

Glad you like MS and hopefully get your modes setup as you want. Sadly I have been bit busy with other things so current release has couple small bugs/stupid features left that might prevent some use cases. When the whole updated process to 2.0 has gone there will be lots of new things / fixes coming to MS so stay tuned
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I love this app and have set up a few different modes and triggers. However, my battery seems to be running hotter and draining quicker on this. I thought this would save on battery since various settings get turned off, or am I wrong?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I seem to be having a problem with my driving mode. I have a simple trigger set to open Music remix when the headset is inserted - I'm using an idrive so I have the trigger set to headset/mic. Occasionally, about once a week, the phone will go into random cycles where the drive mode starts and closes repeatedly (always when no headset or mic is plugged in. The only way to get it to stop is to do a reboot. If I re-enable triggers then the mode starts up cycling on and off again.

I have the mode switcher menu installed. Also after I reboot I get the message from Mode Switcher about installing the menu patch to get rid of the notification icon. A simple swipe gets rid of it and it doesn't appear again.
  8.    #748  
    Quote Originally Posted by 12gage View Post
    I love this app and have set up a few different modes and triggers. However, my battery seems to be running hotter and draining quicker on this. I thought this would save on battery since various settings get turned off, or am I wrong?
    MS should not have barely any effect on battery life (in negative sense). The only trigger that consumes some battery is the GPS trigger. If you don't use it in any of the modes then MS should not eat any battery. If you are sure that its MS why you are loosing your battery then try to remove some certain type of triggers from your modes to see if it has any effect. There might be some buggy trigger left that eats battery but no one has reported any so far. Also if you feel that you are at some point experiencing strong battery consumption you could use the report problem action in the menu so I can see from the log is it MS that is doing something it should not.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  9.    #749  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I seem to be having a problem with my driving mode. I have a simple trigger set to open Music remix when the headset is inserted - I'm using an idrive so I have the trigger set to headset/mic. Occasionally, about once a week, the phone will go into random cycles where the drive mode starts and closes repeatedly (always when no headset or mic is plugged in. The only way to get it to stop is to do a reboot. If I re-enable triggers then the mode starts up cycling on and off again.

I have the mode switcher menu installed. Also after I reboot I get the message from Mode Switcher about installing the menu patch to get rid of the notification icon. A simple swipe gets rid of it and it doesn't appear again.
    You might have faulty headset plug as I have. Mine usually just gets stuck on headset mode even the headset is removed, but sometimes it has given the activation info even there is no plug connected. And even once it has done it repeatetly until I rebooted Pre (and I do'nt have a mode that activates on headset so it was not MS). Its a known problem unfortunately that Pre (specially the first set of Pre's) has a cheap headset plug that causes problems. So for this there is nothing MS can do, it only listens the info from WebOS so either WebOS is giving faulty information or you have faulty plug as I do.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    MS should not have barely any effect on battery life (in negative sense). The only trigger that consumes some battery is the GPS trigger. If you don't use it in any of the modes then MS should not eat any battery. If you are sure that its MS why you are loosing your battery then try to remove some certain type of triggers from your modes to see if it has any effect. There might be some buggy trigger left that eats battery but no one has reported any so far. Also if you feel that you are at some point experiencing strong battery consumption you could use the report problem action in the menu so I can see from the log is it MS that is doing something it should not.
    thanks for your reply, I did have a few tiggers set for gps. I'll remove those and see if that helps
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    You might have faulty headset plug as I have. Mine usually just gets stuck on headset mode even the headset is removed, but sometimes it has given the activation info even there is no plug connected. And even once it has done it repeatetly until I rebooted Pre (and I do'nt have a mode that activates on headset so it was not MS). Its a known problem unfortunately that Pre (specially the first set of Pre's) has a cheap headset plug that causes problems. So for this there is nothing MS can do, it only listens the info from WebOS so either WebOS is giving faulty information or you have faulty plug as I do.
    Before using MS I had the headset mode issue occurr once or twice so you're probably right. How does it go...."garbage in garbage out"

Thanks for the quick reply and of course for the great work.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Sconix,

Thanks for the rapid response to my questions/issues.

The time of day trigger explanation helps.

I added MS app to my default, set it to After Mode Start: Trigger Mode: All Normal Modes. It worked, sort of. The other apps I have set to launch, don't get launched. I'm guessing the order of the apps on the screen is how the system issues commands, so the MS app sets off the triggers, and switched modes, before the other apps launch, since MS App is at the top of the apps list. If that is the case, why wouldn't I just set the "Miscellaneous" setting of 'On Startup' to 'Active Mode'? Won't that just force whatever the active mode was prior to restart to start upon device restart, essentially avoiding the need for the MS App to trigger (I can see the MS app need if for some reason a different mode was to be triggered after reset). Setting 'on Startup' to Active mode essentially defeats the purpose of having the default mode launch apps on device restart. I realize I can just add the apps I always want open into each mode, but I was just thinking doing it once on the default mode would be nice.

What I'm doing now is using Preset Reset to restart & launch apps, but that only launchs the apps when there is a scheduled restart, it doesn't do it if I have to manually restart or luna restart when updating patches. So, I have a solution for scheduled restarts, but not for unplanned.
  13.    #753  
    Sconix,

Thanks for the rapid response to my questions/issues.

The time of day trigger explanation helps.

I added MS app to my default, set it to After Mode Start: Trigger Mode: All Normal Modes. It worked, sort of. The other apps I have set to launch, don't get launched. I'm guessing the order of the apps on the screen is how the system issues commands, so the MS app sets off the triggers, and switched modes, before the other apps launch, since MS App is at the top of the apps list. If that is the case, why wouldn't I just set the "Miscellaneous" setting of 'On Startup' to 'Active Mode'? Won't that just force whatever the active mode was prior to restart to start upon device restart, essentially avoiding the need for the MS App to trigger (I can see the MS app need if for some reason a different mode was to be triggered after reset). Setting 'on Startup' to Active mode essentially defeats the purpose of having the default mode launch apps on device restart. I realize I can just add the apps I always want open into each mode, but I was just thinking doing it once on the default mode would be nice.

What I'm doing now is using Preset Reset to restart & launch apps, but that only launchs the apps when there is a scheduled restart, it doesn't do it if I have to manually restart or luna restart when updating patches. So, I have a solution for scheduled restarts, but not for unplanned.
    The order does not control MS app, it has the before / after mode start / close options. So if you set it to trigger a mode after mode start then the apps are started before switching to the different mode. If you choose before then the mode is switched to before starting the apps. So make sure you are setting the MS app correctly.
    I have been having GPS signal problems the last few days which is about the same time I have been trying to set up a Mode for GPS so that my screen stays on all the time. I just tried turning off MS and for the brief test drive the GPS signal lock seemed to improve.

Is it possible that somehow MS is causing my GPS feature to go to sleep or standby?

The mode is set up to Trigger when AT&T Nav is in the foreground with a 15 sec delay and the GPS location is Active when not in Location x/y (home). Once it triggers the settings are Turn off after 10800, enable Phone, enable Data, GPS, Disable WiFi and Enable GPS.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  15.    #755  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I have been having GPS signal problems the last few days which is about the same time I have been trying to set up a Mode for GPS so that my screen stays on all the time. I just tried turning off MS and for the brief test drive the GPS signal lock seemed to improve.

Is it possible that somehow MS is causing my GPS feature to go to sleep or standby?

The mode is set up to Trigger when AT&T Nav is in the foreground with a 15 sec delay and the GPS location is Active when not in Location x/y (home). Once it triggers the settings are Turn off after 10800, enable Phone, enable Data, GPS, Disable WiFi and Enable GPS.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    MS can not have any effect on GPS, only if you have GPS triggers in some modes then it could in theory to have some effect, but even the GPS trigger uses the API provided by WebOS so it should not interfere. One thing that comes to mind is that if your mode/default mode has enable GPS then maybe the enabling GPS when mode turns on will reset the GPS fix temporally. You could try to verify this by setting GPS to Do not set in default mode (or what ever normal mode you have active when the GPS mode comes on and also do not se / default for the GPS mode itself). Then MS is not requesting GPS being enabled. If this helps please let me know so I can add a check that if GPS is already on it is not requested to set on again.
    MS can not have any effect on GPS, only if you have GPS triggers in some modes then it could in theory to have some effect, but even the GPS trigger uses the API provided by WebOS so it should not interfere. One thing that comes to mind is that if your mode/default mode has enable GPS then maybe the enabling GPS when mode turns on will reset the GPS fix temporally. You could try to verify this by setting GPS to Do not set in default mode (or what ever normal mode you have active when the GPS mode comes on and also do not se / default for the GPS mode itself). Then MS is not requesting GPS being enabled. If this helps please let me know so I can add a check that if GPS is already on it is not requested to set on again.
    Sconix: Thanks for the follow up. I have an ATT Pre+ and have not been using the GPS fix application. I ran two tests this morning with MS turned off and had no problems with finding and keep a GPS signal. The main trigger was that ATT Nav was running in the foreground.

Could the issue have been related to turning off WIFI when my GPS mode was triggered? GPS is on in my default mode. I will do some more testing and report back here with my finding. I plan to take a few mode drives with MS off. If no problems show up then I will turn MS on and see what happens.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  17.    #757  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Sconix: Thanks for the follow up. I have an ATT Pre+ and have not been using the GPS fix application. I ran two tests this morning with MS turned off and had no problems with finding and keep a GPS signal.

Could the issue have been related to turning off WIFI when my GPS mode was triggered? GPS is on in my default mode. I will do some more testing and report back here with my finding. I plan to take a few mode drives with MS off. If no problems show up then I will turn MS on and see what happens.
    Sure if you have google location service enabled the turning off wifi and no data connection has a dramatic effect on getting fix. For me GPS is almost useless without the google location help. The getting fix takes ages without it.
    Sorry if this has been asked, I intend to really research this later as I'm on conference calls all day, but for some reason....no matter what the mode (default, car, etc.) I choose, Govnah will not launch on start of the mode. Is there a simple trick, something I'm missing from the manual?

BTW...I'm a launch Pre owner on Sprint. I've been patching for most of the life of this phone & I just last night started using Mode Switcher (I'm a patient patcher, love the gradual gratification of making my phone new every couple of weeks). I can't believe I've waited this long. What an amazing job you've done. I WILL be donating later today. I'm sure this has been nothing short of a massive effort on your part. Thank you! Again, amazing.
  19.    #759  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked, I intend to really research this later as I'm on conference calls all day, but for some reason....no matter what the mode (default, car, etc.) I choose, Govnah will not launch on start of the mode. Is there a simple trick, something I'm missing from the manual?

BTW...I'm a launch Pre owner on Sprint. I've been patching for most of the life of this phone & I just last night started using Mode Switcher (I'm a patient patcher, love the gradual gratification of making my phone new every couple of weeks). I can't believe I've waited this long. What an amazing job you've done. I WILL be donating later today. I'm sure this has been nothing short of a massive effort on your part. Thank you! Again, amazing.
    Thanks, not sure if you have understood the way the govnah extension works so I will explain to be sure. If you add the govnah through the 'add srv' then it wont start govnah it only asks it to set certain profile. If you have add it through 'add app' then the govnah application (card) should start just fine. At least I just tried and it worked so it should work. If you cannot get it to work you can use the report problem from app menu so I can have a look of your settings.
    Perfect. You hit that one dead on. I definitely misunderstood that both App & Srv should be in place. Thanks again! Was trying to read the manual & search this thread in 5 minute breaks between conf. calls...saved me a ton of time to have a quick response. Cheers.