Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Hi Sconix. Great, great app!!!! Many thanks! After downloading and playing around with it for a couple of weeks, I am finally seeing the possibilities in getting my phone to work just the way I want.

One request/suggestion. Is it possible to add a selection to turn on/off Google Location Services? You already have a switch to turn on/off GPS. I want default settings to location by Google Services, and then I want a "GPS mode" where GPS=on and GoogleServ=off.
    After using this app for a couple of weeks, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best thing since clean water. I just created a mode that switches off my data connection when my phone connects to my home wi-fi, and switches it back on when I disconnect from wi-fi. I used to do it manually, but I kept forgetting to turn it back on.

Just one small example of what this app can do!
    Hi sconix and everyone. So I have run into a slight problem or two with a couple of my modes.

1. I set a sleep mode that includes a Mute setting for email notifications. Unfortunately, the ringtone continues to play when I get an email, despite the mode being set. Any suggestions? I have tried deleting the setting and re-setting it, deleting the mode and re-creating it. Shutting down and restarting MS. I am out of ideas...help?

2. In my default mode I have tried setting wifi all three possible settings, as I have a modifier mode for turning wifi on when I am at my home GPS coordinates. Sometimes the mod mode will run properly if I am set at Do Not Set in default, but sometimes it will not set, or Default mode will just start with wifi on, even though it is set to either Do Not Set or Disabled...is there something I can set in my mod mode or default mode to help this work correctly?

I will appreciate any help or suggestions any of you can offer.

BTW: This is not a complaint about MS, which is possibly the best app ever (along with Preware), merely a request for help since I am sure my problems are due to user error...

Thanks!
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  4.    #424  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    Hi Sconix. Great, great app!!!! Many thanks! After downloading and playing around with it for a couple of weeks, I am finally seeing the possibilities in getting my phone to work just the way I want.

One request/suggestion. Is it possible to add a selection to turn on/off Google Location Services? You already have a switch to turn on/off GPS. I want default settings to location by Google Services, and then I want a "GPS mode" where GPS=on and GoogleServ=off.
    I added this on the TODO list. Not sure if it makes to 1.1.0 or to 1.2.0. Been bit busy lately so hard to estimate. But will add it at some point.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  5.    #425  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Hi sconix and everyone. So I have run into a slight problem or two with a couple of my modes.

1. I set a sleep mode that includes a Mute setting for email notifications. Unfortunately, the ringtone continues to play when I get an email, despite the mode being set. Any suggestions? I have tried deleting the setting and re-setting it, deleting the mode and re-creating it. Shutting down and restarting MS. I am out of ideas...help?

2. In my default mode I have tried setting wifi all three possible settings, as I have a modifier mode for turning wifi on when I am at my home GPS coordinates. Sometimes the mod mode will run properly if I am set at Do Not Set in default, but sometimes it will not set, or Default mode will just start with wifi on, even though it is set to either Do Not Set or Disabled...is there something I can set in my mod mode or default mode to help this work correctly?

I will appreciate any help or suggestions any of you can offer.

BTW: This is not a complaint about MS, which is possibly the best app ever (along with Preware), merely a request for help since I am sure my problems are due to user error...

Thanks!
    1) Do you use per account setting or global? And have/can you try both ways. Then I could see and test if there is some bug involved or not.

2) Both WiFi and BT has problems on some phones/users. Its due to buggy code in WebOS which MS brings up. So its not about your settings. The next version 1.0.8 tries to go around the bug, but since I am not 100% why its happening the fix might not work for all. Already it at least made things better for one test user. But my guess is that we have to wait until WebOS 2.0 until it starts to work reliably for everyone.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    1) Do you use per account setting or global? And have/can you try both ways. Then I could see and test if there is some bug involved or not.
    Apparently I had it set global, so I have gone in and set it per account. I just tested it and it works perfectly, now. Thank you for the great suggestion.

2) Both WiFi and BT has problems on some phones/users. Its due to buggy code in WebOS which MS brings up. So its not about your settings. The next version 1.0.8 tries to go around the bug, but since I am not 100% why its happening the fix might not work for all. Already it at least made things better for one test user. But my guess is that we have to wait until WebOS 2.0 until it starts to work reliably for everyone.
    I am so sorry. I now remember reading about this when I read the whole thread yesterday but it must have slipped my mind. I didn't mean to make you answer a question that had already been answered.

Thank you for the quick response.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  7.    #427  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Apparently I had it set global, so I have gone in and set it per account. I just tested it and it works perfectly, now. Thank you for the great suggestion.

I am so sorry. I now remember reading about this when I read the whole thread yesterday but it must have slipped my mind. I didn't mean to make you answer a question that had already been answered.

Thank you for the quick response.
    Ah so there must be a bug in global configuration then. Will fix for 1.0.8. And no problem it happens, its not a problem to answer already asked questions since it is actually easier
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    This is an amazing app that deserves to be integrated into WebOS 2.0 in some way. I've only just installed it and started playing with it, but I can sense the power and the incredible array of uses it could serve.

As I work with it and think about the implications of various settings, they start to make sense. I'd love to see a collection of people's various settings posted somewhere with a description of what each setting does and why that user finds it useful. If I get the time I'm going to post something like this myself in the next week or so.

I do have one question for Sconix. I'm wondering if you or anyone has ever considered a trigger that is based on the speed of your device. I don't even know if this is possible, but since you have geo location based trigger, that means you are polling the gps. maybe if the gps is polled more often than once every minute or so, you could look at the distance and accuracy levels reported and determine that someone is driving if they are going more than X speed? I'd love to have a way to automatically sense this and then turn off data and phone volume, so that the phone doesn't become distracting. I realize that doing this would also turn off GPS itself (I think) and so you would have to manually turn it back on. It would be nice if the Pre could sense that it's being charged by a car charger vs. a wall charger, huh? Anyway, just thought I'd mention that, but realize it might be technically impractical or impossible.

Again, many thanks and you will definitely be getting a donation from me when my cash flow has evened out a bit in a few weeks!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

9.    #429  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    This is an amazing app that deserves to be integrated into WebOS 2.0 in some way. I've only just installed it and started playing with it, but I can sense the power and the incredible array of uses it could serve.

As I work with it and think about the implications of various settings, they start to make sense. I'd love to see a collection of people's various settings posted somewhere with a description of what each setting does and why that user finds it useful. If I get the time I'm going to post something like this myself in the next week or so.

I do have one question for Sconix. I'm wondering if you or anyone has ever considered a trigger that is based on the speed of your device. I don't even know if this is possible, but since you have geo location based trigger, that means you are polling the gps. maybe if the gps is polled more often than once every minute or so, you could look at the distance and accuracy levels reported and determine that someone is driving if they are going more than X speed? I'd love to have a way to automatically sense this and then turn off data and phone volume, so that the phone doesn't become distracting. I realize that doing this would also turn off GPS itself (I think) and so you would have to manually turn it back on. It would be nice if the Pre could sense that it's being charged by a car charger vs. a wall charger, huh? Anyway, just thought I'd mention that, but realize it might be technically impractical or impossible.

Again, many thanks and you will definitely be getting a donation from me when my cash flow has evened out a bit in a few weeks!
    Thanks, the problem with using speed is that it would require following GPS info all the time and doing that for whole day would have a dramatic effect on battery life. The current GPS trigger should be very battery efficient and I am planning to make it bit more battery hungry to get faster / better results with it, but it wont still be suitable for speed monitoring.

About the sensing car/wall charger at least if you have TS then you can do what I do, use the orientation option to separate to which TS is in question. For example I use left orientation always on my night stand and up or right in car so I can easily do different night and car modes which are automatically started.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    But what happens when you are stopped at a red light?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Thanks, the problem with using speed is that it would require following GPS info all the time and doing that for whole day would have a dramatic effect on battery life. The current GPS trigger should be very battery efficient and I am planning to make it bit more battery hungry to get faster / better results with it, but it wont still be suitable for speed monitoring.

About the sensing car/wall charger at least if you have TS then you can do what I do, use the orientation option to separate to which TS is in question. For example I use left orientation always on my night stand and up or right in car so I can easily do different night and car modes which are automatically started.
    Interesting, I hadn't seen the orientation trigger yet. However, I don't have a TS in my car! Or was that not your point? Actually, I'm not using my TS's anymore since I got my Seidio 2300mah battery which doesn't have a compatible back.

In any case, it seems weird that you'd need to follow the GPS constantly to get a reading. Couldn't you just look at the GPS every minute, or heck every few minutes, do a distance calculation and activate the trigger if the distance is over some threshold? Or I guess there's something about the GPS service that makes that too time-prohibitive to be useful?

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    But what happens when you are stopped at a red light?
    lol, I hadn't thought about that! I guess that might make the whole idea impractical, even if it could be done. Maybe the only way to get around this at all would be for Palm to design an additional pin or something into their next gen phone that tells it that it's in a car - I mean they'd build that into car chargers/docks as well in order to let the phone know. Then perhaps there might be some additional way that one could activate the phone's data, but only for the purpose of GPS. It's annoying that I need data on to see where I am... Hmmm, now that I think about it, I suppose you could do something similar in mode switcher, I mean emulate the data-only-for-gps mode. EG, set data on, but close all apps but start BFG Maps/Sprint Nav/etc, then turn notifications off... hmmm can that be done even? I haven't checked.

Anyone know if there are phones out there that shut down (at least partially) based on speed? Seems like that would be a nice safefty feature, although possibly one that might **** a lot of people off - especially if it was mandated!

Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    dvdmon

Do not know if this helps with your car problem, but, I use Bluetooth in our cars and so use a Bluetooth trigger (Connected to) to set to car mode.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    dvdmon

Do not know if this helps with your car problem, but, I use Bluetooth in our cars and so use a Bluetooth trigger (Connected to) to set to car mode.
    Thanks. I can see how this might help if you have a bluetooth system in your car, but unfortunately I don't. Even if I did, I have a question. How would this work if you also had a BT headset? Can you have the Pre connect to the car when its within range - ie give your cars BT system priority over your headset? I'm assuming here that you wouldn't be able to connect to both simultaneously, or would want to for that matter. If the Pre can do this, can you set MS to trigger only upon a particular BT profile or will it tigger only on just ANY BT profile?

I have a "car mode" with mode swithcher. My triggers are charged on touchstone AND headphones (without mic) plugged...

I have a problem tho. The mode "turns ON" the first time I have my pre on the TC and with the jack plugged, but when I exit my car then ride it again, the mode does not switch to car mode anymore. It's as if it only works the first time for the day.

I have preset reset scheduled to reset my phone every night, so probably I need to reset my phone for mode switcher to work again?

any help?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Not sure if others have found this, but I was having some initial issues with the patch that lets you change modes manually via the system menu. When I clicked on the disable mode triggers, the menu would collapse, but going back it still said "disable mode triggers" instead of "enable mode triggers" and the top bar continued to be in white. IE it wasn't taking. I thought initially this was because it was plugged in and one of my triggers was a charging trigger, but now it's working, so I have no idea how to duplicate the issue.

One question relating to this - I thought I remember that the top bar is supposed to indicate what mode you are in, however, mine just says "Sprint +" Is this a known issue or did I invent a feature request?

17.    #437  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I have a "car mode" with mode swithcher. My triggers are charged on touchstone AND headphones (without mic) plugged...

I have a problem tho. The mode "turns ON" the first time I have my pre on the TC and with the jack plugged, but when I exit my car then ride it again, the mode does not switch to car mode anymore. It's as if it only works the first time for the day.

I have preset reset scheduled to reset my phone every night, so probably I need to reset my phone for mode switcher to work again?

any help?
    At least the charger trigger should work perfectly, but many pre's have problem with the jack plugged trigger, mine included. Its a hardware fault and the plug removal does not always register, for me its actually not working at all anymore Luckily I don't use headsets, but sucks anyway. I guess newer Pre's have working jack. So most likely its that why its not working for you neither. Since in the beginning it helped to restart Pre, but now I think mines is busted completely since last time I had to play half an hour to get it recognize the unplugging...
  18.    #438  
    Not sure if others have found this, but I was having some initial issues with the patch that lets you change modes manually via the system menu. When I clicked on the disable mode triggers, the menu would collapse, but going back it still said "disable mode triggers" instead of "enable mode triggers" and the top bar continued to be in white. IE it wasn't taking. I thought initially this was because it was plugged in and one of my triggers was a charging trigger, but now it's working, so I have no idea how to duplicate the issue.

One question relating to this - I thought I remember that the top bar is supposed to indicate what mode you are in, however, mine just says "Sprint +" Is this a known issue or did I invent a feature request?
    It might have been that the menu did not register the configuration subscription for some reason when it did not work.

The top bar shows current normal mode. If its default mode then the carrier is shown. The + marks if any modifier modes are on.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Thanks. I can see how this might help if you have a bluetooth system in your car, but unfortunately I don't. Even if I did, I have a question. How would this work if you also had a BT headset? Can you have the Pre connect to the car when its within range - ie give your cars BT system priority over your headset? I'm assuming here that you wouldn't be able to connect to both simultaneously, or would want to for that matter. If the Pre can do this, can you set MS to trigger only upon a particular BT profile or will it tigger only on just ANY BT profile?
    I use Bluetooth triggers almost exclusively. Set the BT Connection State to Connected to, select the appropriate Profile, and provide the Device name (same as listed in the Bluetooth app). I happen to use Bluetooth at home, in our cars and at work, so it is the perfect trigger for me.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    First, I must say this is by far one of the best apps I have yet used for the Pre. Thank you sconix!!

I'm having a couple problems and I apologize if they've come up before.

1) I can't seem to get the BT disconnected trigger to work. Connected works fine, but if I tell it to only trigger a mode when BT is not connected, it simply ignores the trigger. The goal is to have the phone avoid switching to modes which disable BT when BT is currently in use.

2) I can't get GPS triggering to work reliably. How often does it pole GPS to check if it's in a location? I set it to 2000 meters, but still it sometimes does not trigger, especially when switching out of a mode back to default. The goal is to have it switch out of a mode back to default, then detect it is in the GPS trigger location and switch to the mode for that location.

Thanks!