Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Not sure if this relates to any battery issues here, but I found a huge incompatibility b/t MS and the new 5% Minimum Brightness patch.

I installed it just for kicks last week. Later that day I found a huge battery drain that would happen only when the phone was off. I took a peak at the logs in Lumberjack. It seemed that the prefs were constantly being reset while the phone was off.

I also left Govnah on to record the drain while off. What I found was the Load really spiked while off. I mean numbers like 34.72 28.07 22.54. My normal loads range around 0.5 to 2.5. Huge difference there. Phone also got real warm when off.

This issue went away after removing the patch. It might be I had a bad install. Not sure. I can't retest today as I will be out all day. Can anyone verify?

Other info: MS screen brightness = 5%, Fixed keyboard bright = 25% (patch) There are the two I feel might conflict with the minimum bright patch.

Note that I do not think there is anything wrong with MS rather I feelit is the combo of MS and/or other brightness patches and the new 5% patch.
    Hello all! So for about 2 weeks now there has been a bug of some sort that I have been dealing with and I am curious to see if anyone else is having the same issue. I sent a bug report to Janne with problem reporting, however have not got a solution just yet so I thought I would look for other suggestions as well.

I have a night mode which just everything off, at 5:30 am it turns to early morning mode which keeps everything quiet except the phone and then at 6:30 am it is supposed to change to day mode during the week and weekend mode on the weekend, HOWEVER, when it comes to changing to day or weekend at 6:30 am it ALWAYS switches to DEFAULT mode... I have deleted Early morning Mode and day mode thinking there is just a bug of some sort set them up again manually yet for 2 weeks now the problem still persists.

Any ideas?
    My History of the last 10 years with Sprint! Palm Pre is by far the BEST!

3.    #403  
    Quote Originally Posted by huffman01 View Post
    Hello all! So for about 2 weeks now there has been a bug of some sort that I have been dealing with and I am curious to see if anyone else is having the same issue. I sent a bug report to Janne with problem reporting, however have not got a solution just yet so I thought I would look for other suggestions as well.

I have a night mode which just everything off, at 5:30 am it turns to early morning mode which keeps everything quiet except the phone and then at 6:30 am it is supposed to change to day mode during the week and weekend mode on the weekend, HOWEVER, when it comes to changing to day or weekend at 6:30 am it ALWAYS switches to DEFAULT mode... I have deleted Early morning Mode and day mode thinking there is just a bug of some sort set them up again manually yet for 2 weeks now the problem still persists.

Any ideas?
    Sorry that I have not had time to look into this yet. It is most likely a bug since it happens every time. I have been bit busy lately so the 1.0.8 release will most likely go for next weekend. But for that I will test this problem of yours and if able to reproduce I will fix it.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Sorry that I have not had time to look into this yet. It is most likely a bug since it happens every time. I have been bit busy lately so the 1.0.8 release will most likely go for next weekend. But for that I will test this problem of yours and if able to reproduce I will fix it.
    No worries, i just thought I would put it out there to see if in the meantime anyone had any suggestions. Have a great holiday weekend.

Take care.

sconix I am trying to trace the huge battery draw I am getting. I have turned mode switcher off. I am using jstop and when I look at running process it still shows me mode switcher is running. Besides uninstalling is there another way to truly turn mode switcher off so I can see what apps are running?
    Last edited by mamouton; 09/05/2010 at 11:39 AM.
  6.    #406  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    sconix I am trying to trace the huge battery draw I am getting. I am using jstop and when I look at running process it still shows me mode switcher is running. Besides uninstalling is there another way to truly turn mode switcher off so I can see what apps are running?
    If you uninstall the start MS on luna start then MS is not running background. But as said MS does nothing while sitting on background it only reacts to those triggers. So only way how MS can effect directly to the battery consumption is that if some trigger is sending the info all the time. The easiest way to discover if its MS is to look at the /var/log/messages (for example by using lumberjack). Every time when MS "wakes" to do something it prints the trigger handling into the log. So if there is very extensive logging from MS then something is causing the trigger notification happening repeatetly.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    sconix I am trying to trace the huge battery draw I am getting. I have turned mode switcher off. I am using jstop and when I look at running process it still shows me mode switcher is running. Besides uninstalling is there another way to truly turn mode switcher off so I can see what apps are running?
    data connection?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    had data turned off as well.
    sconix I setup several modes today to try out the latest update.

Default- has all connections except gps enabled and govnah to start and close on default

Touchstone- night all connections except bluetooth and gps enabled govnah on start palm default on close fixed speed 720 trigger touchstone any orientation and connected to home wifi

Home -everything except gps enabled trigger connected to home wifi

Car- everything enabled except wifi apps govnah on start 720 on close do nothing trigger when not in location (gps coordinates) and touchstone

Work- everything enabled except bluetooth and gps apps govnah on start palm default on close fixed speed 720 trigger connected to work wifi.

My dilema I took phone off charger this morning around 7:00 am at work by 10:00 am phone was down to 32% with no use. Is there any setting I have configured that would cause it to drain excessively like that? Do I need to change some of the settings? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    At least no one has reported any battery draining, but I know couple times it has happened to some once. For me too actually. And at least on that time it was not directly MS fault. It seems that changing BT/Wifi state is buggy in WebOS. For 1.0.8 I have tried to change the service apply mechanism in a hope that it would reduce this bug frequency for those who have problems with it (it has caused wifi or bluetooth to "stall" for some or otherwise behave strangly, although most (if not all) of these users have had overclocking kernel not sure if that can also effect). The time when I lost battery with that rapid time frame I noticed from the logs that my Wifi was doing something very weird (producing high amounts of log). Rebooting the phone took care of the problem and haven't had it since. And most of the other cases has been that MS has eat battery right after installing and reboot has fixed that. So not sure if luna restart could sometimes start MS in a "bad way".

So try rebooting it most likely fixes it, if it happens again please use the problem report from the menu as soon as you notice the draining so I can see the logs. So at least nothing in your settings should do it.
    to chime in, just today two odd things happening:
    - suddenly MS is starting in dashboard mode for no reason. haven't updated (1.0.7 installed) or changed anything except using the inverted brightness patch but started using that 4 days ago. i rebooted and still running in dashboard??? unuinstalled/reinstalled luna patch for MS (did not restart in between, will now) but that hasn't fixed it. still running in dashboard mode.
    edit: uninstall luna boot, restart, install luna boot did fix it. not sure what happened in the first place, though.

- also today, noted the same huge battery drain. down to 20% in 3.5 hours.
    don't know if they're related.
    Last edited by everette13; 09/05/2010 at 02:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    First i have to say i love MS and thank you! I have read this entire thread and still have a few questions. I have also done all the suggested fixes for some of the issues i may be having.
    1. I have encountered on occasion in my Home mode that is is trying to connect to BT, however in this mode BT is disabled. This appears to be a huge battery drainer, like 10% in 30 min. it shows the spinning circle. I have done a battery pull and has fixed it again but im afraid its only temporary. What should i watch for or avoid.

2. If im at home and i restart the phone it goes into default mode, not home mode. Do i need to leave home and come back to activate a trigger so the phone realizes its at home?

3. I noticed a lot of samples in the thread and in the manual show Data disabled at home and work, I did this and found i was not getting any of my TXT MSGS. Is this supposed to happen? In my mind yes, so i have re enabled my Data so i can retrieve MSGS.

4. Occasionally my Sprint string will be yellow instead of white, why? It only does this for default mode sometimes, and not for any other mode as of yet.

5. When i had the dash board, there was a lock icon and if you tapped it it would unlock. What is this changing, and Why?

Thanks again and as you can see the issues are very minor and mostly questions. Thanks again for all your hard work and i will be donating very soon!
  11.    #411  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewardo View Post
    First i have to say i love MS and thank you! I have read this entire thread and still have a few questions. I have also done all the suggested fixes for some of the issues i may be having.
    1. I have encountered on occasion in my Home mode that is is trying to connect to BT, however in this mode BT is disabled. This appears to be a huge battery drainer, like 10% in 30 min. it shows the spinning circle. I have done a battery pull and has fixed it again but im afraid its only temporary. What should i watch for or avoid.

2. If im at home and i restart the phone it goes into default mode, not home mode. Do i need to leave home and come back to activate a trigger so the phone realizes its at home?

3. I noticed a lot of samples in the thread and in the manual show Data disabled at home and work, I did this and found i was not getting any of my TXT MSGS. Is this supposed to happen? In my mind yes, so i have re enabled my Data so i can retrieve MSGS.

4. Occasionally my Sprint string will be yellow instead of white, why? It only does this for default mode sometimes, and not for any other mode as of yet.

5. When i had the dash board, there was a lock icon and if you tapped it it would unlock. What is this changing, and Why?

Thanks again and as you can see the issues are very minor and mostly questions. Thanks again for all your hard work and i will be donating very soon!
    1) When ever mode does not need to control bluetooth or wifi just set them to do not set / default so they are not set when its not really needed. Other than that there is nothing much to do. For 1.0.8 I have tried to delay the system requests a bit which hopefully will make this happen more rarely. Since I am running out of ideas. I can only think that since when mode changes there are more than one system request send which most likely causes the BT/Wifi request to "stall" since its the only difference to the situation that you toggle them from device menu example. But still this is happening so rarely in my phone so haven't been able to test properly. Hopefull the new dev. phone I am getting will do this... Although it also might be that I have quite few settings to set per mode. Anyway will do much testing for this for 1.0.8.

2) If you want to MS to "pick" the mode that should be active on phone start just add MS app into the default mode and ask it to trigger all modes that you want it to test. See manual for more info. (the same than the disable/enable triggers in mode menu).

3) Not sure how data connection could effect to normal txt messages. At least the y should not go over data connection, and at least that is the case in finland that only multimedia messages need data connection.

4) IF the string is yellow you have enable a mode locking from the menu or some of your mode has MS app that request disabling triggers.

5) The lock icon is locking the mode (causing the yellow text). The mode locking disables all triggers. So you can kinda lock mode in place.
    sconix I sent you a log from mode switcher.
    Just wanted to say a very large Thank You for this app. While I only have two normal modes and one modifier mode (b/c I don't change things all that much, except wifi, work and sleep - I have TS's, car charger and spare battery, so I don't worry about turning off radios) the fact that I have them set up and never have to worry about changing them manually has made me a very, very happy camper. As I mentioned in your patch thread, donation is coming on Tues.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Is there a way to setup the bluettooth to turn off if not connected after a certain number of minutes?
    Occasionally when I power cycle my pre it will come up with a Dashboard notification with a lock on it, I generally just swipe it away and never see it again. If I tap on it it will lock and/or unlock what exactly is this for?

16.    #416  
    Is there a way to setup the bluettooth to turn off if not connected after a certain number of minutes?
    Not direct way. With creating couple modes and setting correct MS app controls and triggers you can achieve this. I am thinking of adding proper delay control for maybe 1.2.0 if I find a nice way to integrate that kind of functionality.
  17.    #417  
    Quote Originally Posted by huffman01 View Post
    Occasionally when I power cycle my pre it will come up with a Dashboard notification with a lock on it, I generally just swipe it away and never see it again. If I tap on it it will lock and/or unlock what exactly is this for?
    I don't know why the dashboard sometimes shows even if the start MS on luna boot patch is installed. Anyway the lock is the same than the disable/enable triggers action in the mode menu. It disables triggers hence "locking" the current mode(s).
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    there are a couple of ways.

I have it turn off when disconnected. I've asked for a timer for that option so I can switch headsets. This only works when it has a connection to notice a disconnect.

Some people have mentioned using a two tiered approach, a timer with disconnect that calls another mode to turn off bluetooth. I tried this approach but noticed two things; my battery drain seemed to be worse in this configuration (probably anecdotal) and my bluetooth would get stuck and not respond until a reboot. I could never get it to work right
    hi sconix many thanks for this great app. it is the one I desired most. I even thought of working on one by myself but since I do not have the necessary knowledge I am very happy that you did it for us MS goes beyond what I had dreamt of it is so powerful.

just sent you a donation
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Hey borg92802, I have a potential solution for your problem but it doesn't lie in Mode Switcher (which is awesome!). Music (Remix) 2.0 comes equipped with a sleep timer. Just became available today. Not on preware yet. Here's the thread about it and a link to the ipk:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-2-0-beta.html

https://sites.google.com/site/hedami...1.99.0_all.ipk

Definitely check out the thread. There are links to videos dev made about the changes to the app. Looks pretty sweet.

Thank you !! Just installed it and will try it out...