Page 18 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    I want to make a profile that simply clocks down the CPU when I have the Phone app running. I tried setting up two triggers, one foreground and one background. Doesn't work though. Why not?
    bump
  2.    #342  
    bump
    I did answer this already
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Hi Sconix... I had to step aware from PreCentral for 5 days (since Thursday at 3pm or so)... and today, I have 10 pages of posts in MS to read and another 6-8 pages in Advanced Launcher Configuration... (among 15 other threads I follow). I just finished reading them all. Whew....

Anyway, you are usually pretty good about commenting on feature suggestions whether you think they are good ones or whether you don't agree they would be good. Since you have been so busy with Advanced Launcher Config, I wanted to ask your thoughts about the following post I made back around post #150.... Tobias Funke and another user and I were discussing timed expirations for manual modes...

Scenario: I go to church for 1 hour -- or -- I go to the opera for 2 hours (just kidding I'm not really that pretentious - let's say the movies...). I would like to manually run my Silent Mode during these times so as not to offend God or my fellow theater-goers... I don't plan to put either into my calendar (maybe my church attendance is irregular and going to the movies was a spur of the moment decision) so I cannot use a calendar trigger...

Obviously, I can run my "silent" mode from the Mode Menu and just try to remember to turn it off when I'm done the event. However in this situation, I might have other mode triggers happen while my manual 'silent' mode is set, thus turning it off, unless I remember to turn off triggers. I know I can set silent to block all other modes, but for the sake of argument, let's say this is not ideal. -- or else I would need two silent modes -- one with block and the other no block.

My preference in those situations would be when picking "Start this Mode Now" from the Mode Menu or from a launcher icon to have a pop-up ask "Run indefinitely?" or "Run until...?" with selectable 15, 30, 60, etc durations or a set time such as 5:30pm"

As I note below, it seems like implementation would best be accomplished through setting a timed duration for "Disable Mode Triggers" to be in place.. that way Mode Triggers could either be automatically re-enabled after the appropriate period or at the set time or even manually if church or the movie ended early and I noticed in the mode menu that Mode Trigger Lock was in place ?

Tobias had suggested Time Interval triggers as a solution, but this would not allow for flexibility to adapt for different lengths of time when certain manual modes would need to be engaged (as in my two examples above...).

Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Hey Tobias - I get your gist to provide a solution that would work but I don't think this is exactly what the poster was looking for -- I agree that your reply accomplishes his objective in the particular case where 2 hours is the appropriate window, but I think he's looking for something that is more flexible and configurable on-the-fly for differing situations.... I remember the precise setting he's referring to from the old Palm ProfileCare / Profiles apps, and I too used it frequently for things like Church, Movies, Unscheduled meetings (where calendar trigger isn't appropriate), etc...

I think his request (and I concur) is to have the ability for Manually initiated modes (either via Launcer Icons or Mode Menu "switch to this mode now" button) to 'expire' after which MS would check triggers and return to normal settings. The expiration could be set by either (a) predefined end time -- i.e. 5:15pm today or (b) a predefined expiration period -- i.e. in 3.5 hours). The old profile app offered both options, though i expect that the 'selectable expiration period' was just converted to a particular calendar time for practical implementation rather than as a true count-down timer. Clearly, a third option in a manual mode start situation would be to set the mode normally (Not auto-locking triggers)... awaiting the next trigger event.

I guess this might be implemented by setting the manual mode -- then locking MS triggers for the appropriate period -- then unlocking the "MS trigger lock" after the appropriate interval / at the appropriate time... That way the Mode Menu indicated would be yellow to show that the mode was locked? That way, we could also manually end the expiration period by Unlocking triggers in the Mode menu.

Just a few cents for people to chew on...
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Can you please send problem report. So I could get a little bit of light into this problem. Right after you have connected to the wifi and mode has not changed, start MS and select problem report from the menu.
    I've been having the same issue recently - (not switching modes when it connects to my home wifi network) (it was working great until yesterday), but i noticed tonight when I got home, it didn't switch...

I sent a Problem report 2 mins ago....

Cheers, Todd K.
  5.    #345  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Hi Sconix... I had to step aware from PreCentral for 5 days (since Thursday at 3pm or so)... and today, I have 10 pages of posts in MS to read and another 6-8 pages in Advanced Launcher Configuration... (among 15 other threads I follow). I just finished reading them all. Whew....

Anyway, you are usually pretty good about commenting on feature suggestions whether you think they are good ones or whether you don't agree they would be good. Since you have been so busy with Advanced Launcher Config, I wanted to ask your thoughts about the following post I made back around post #150.... Tobias Funke and another user and I were discussing timed expirations for manual modes...

Scenario: I go to church for 1 hour -- or -- I go to the opera for 2 hours (just kidding I'm not really that pretentious - let's say the movies...). I would like to manually run my Silent Mode during these times so as not to offend God or my fellow theater-goers... I don't plan to put either into my calendar (maybe my church attendance is irregular and going to the movies was a spur of the moment decision) so I cannot use a calendar trigger...

Obviously, I can run my "silent" mode from the Mode Menu and just try to remember to turn it off when I'm done the event. However in this situation, I might have other mode triggers happen while my manual 'silent' mode is set, thus turning it off, unless I remember to turn off triggers. I know I can set silent to block all other modes, but for the sake of argument, let's say this is not ideal. -- or else I would need two silent modes -- one with block and the other no block.

My preference in those situations would be when picking "Start this Mode Now" from the Mode Menu or from a launcher icon to have a pop-up ask "Run indefinitely?" or "Run until...?" with selectable 15, 30, 60, etc durations or a set time such as 5:30pm"

As I note below, it seems like implementation would best be accomplished through setting a timed duration for "Disable Mode Triggers" to be in place.. that way Mode Triggers could either be automatically re-enabled after the appropriate period or at the set time or even manually if church or the movie ended early and I noticed in the mode menu that Mode Trigger Lock was in place ?

Tobias had suggested Time Interval triggers as a solution, but this would not allow for flexibility to adapt for different lengths of time when certain manual modes would need to be engaged (as in my two examples above...).

Any thoughts on this?
    I have planned planned this kind of feature that gesture+tap to start mode in mode menu would ask user the time period for the mode. But I haven't yet come up with a nice way to give the time etc. Anyway I wont be adding this for 1.1.0 at least, maybe after that I take this into consideration.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Any tips for GPS triggers? I have 2 set up, home and office. Location set by "when in location" and "current location". Rarely will the proper mode be activated by location. Office especially has a clear view of the sky. Normal vs Modifer? All Unique vs One Trigger? Do these or any other triggers have a better effect on gps location? Currently set for 1000 meters. Thanks
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeebs98 View Post
    Thanks for confirming the calendar ringtone bug. And, pressing the Done Configuring button took care of the Email Alert issue - I didn't see it down there... :/ -j
    The upgrade took care of the bug. Works perfectly now. Thanks!

Quick question / possible feature suggestion: On the developers side, can the Silent Switch be configured to allow the ringer to function in the "on" position as well as the "off"? I know that the switch can currently be used as an MS trigger, but the only stock ringer options in the "on" position are Vibrate and Mute. Can its operation be altered to simply be a 2-choice MS trigger switch?
  8.    #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawrnce View Post
    Any tips for GPS triggers? I have 2 set up, home and office. Location set by "when in location" and "current location". Rarely will the proper mode be activated by location. Office especially has a clear view of the sky. Normal vs Modifer? All Unique vs One Trigger? Do these or any other triggers have a better effect on gps location? Currently set for 1000 meters. Thanks
    When you select current location it should start fetching your location. So you need to let it fetch the location coordinates. Otherwise the trigger wont work. Maybe I should add get into the option so it would say Get Current Location to be a bit more clearer.
    I suppose it's not really possible to get mode switcher to activate functions within another app...right? I was hoping to be able to set up a timer mode to automatically start a certain radio station playing in RadioTime when a particular show I enjoy comes on on Saturday evenings. It's a broadcast station and I don't see it coming up on any of the shoutcast-style players (only been able to find it on RadioTime).
  10.    #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I suppose it's not really possible to get mode switcher to activate functions within another app...right? I was hoping to be able to set up a timer mode to automatically start a certain radio station playing in RadioTime when a particular show I enjoy comes on on Saturday evenings. It's a broadcast station and I don't see it coming up on any of the shoutcast-style players (only been able to find it on RadioTime).
    Only way MS can control other apps are if they support launch parameters or have a service that could be used to control the app. The latter is most likely out of the question for radiotime, but it could have launchparameter which would give station to tune on app launch. But since most apps wont implement any launch parameters it might not have this ability.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    When you select current location it should start fetching your location. So you need to let it fetch the location coordinates. Otherwise the trigger wont work. Maybe I should add get into the option so it would say Get Current Location to be a bit more clearer.
    Thanks for your reply - MS does indeed fetch the actual coordinates but still rarley activates when near (or even at) location.
  12.    #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawrnce View Post
    Thanks for your reply - MS does indeed fetch the actual coordinates but still rarley activates when near (or even at) location.
    You could try to pick the location from the map, since the fetch location may not be the most accurate one. If you want to see what MS thinks of your location you could follow your messages log (/var/log/messages) the distance to the target is always printed into that file with current and set coordinates. The GPS trigger is currently set to be more battery friendly than fast/reliable. So it works well when you have a very good GPS lock or have used other GPS apps. For 1.1.0 I plan to tweak the GPS trigger a bit in a way that it would try to get the initial location more persistently and then move to the battery saving algorithm. Since in my testing if I kept some GPS app on until the accuracy got close enough and MS picked the location trigger then if I closed the app MS continued to work more better. So I am trying to achieve this with the code so no need to use other apps as helper
    When I pull up the launcher and tap an icon I've made in MS to launch a mode, the launcher stays active instead of closing (like it does in a normal app launch). Assuming there's no reason for it to stay active, can it be made to close?

Thanks,
    Tom
  14.    #354  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    When I pull up the launcher and tap an icon I've made in MS to launch a mode, the launcher stays active instead of closing (like it does in a normal app launch). Assuming there's no reason for it to stay active, can it be made to close?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Actually this was already fixed at some point but seems that I have broken it. Will fix for 1.0.8.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    You could try to pick the location from the map, since the fetch location may not be the most accurate one. If you want to see what MS thinks of your location you could follow your messages log (/var/log/messages) the distance to the target is always printed into that file with current and set coordinates. The GPS trigger is currently set to be more battery friendly than fast/reliable. So it works well when you have a very good GPS lock or have used other GPS apps. For 1.1.0 I plan to tweak the GPS trigger a bit in a way that it would try to get the initial location more persistently and then move to the battery saving algorithm. Since in my testing if I kept some GPS app on until the accuracy got close enough and MS picked the location trigger then if I closed the app MS continued to work more better. So I am trying to achieve this with the code so no need to use other apps as helper
    Thanks very much for your in depth response. I will try your suggestions and look forward to the updates coming soon!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I did answer this already
    I've read the entire thread and didn't find it.. Mind explaining one more time?
    Sconix, great app... no wait, awesome... before having my palm pre I wanted an app for my old nokia that would do what yours do, and your app is even better than what I thought...

great work...

Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Mode Switcher does have this feature.

Add a "Time Interval" trigger, set to "No Repeating", active "2 Hours".
    Hi... One question, I tried doing this but instead of the 2 hours I tried half, but I saw that it did not change back to default mode... Then I changed to 5 minutes just to check and it is not changing back to default...

am I doing something wrong???

Thanks,
  18.    #358  
    Quote Originally Posted by chav1to View Post
    Sconix, great app... no wait, awesome... before having my palm pre I wanted an app for my old nokia that would do what yours do, and your app is even better than what I thought...

great work...

Hi... One question, I tried doing this but instead of the 2 hours I tried half, but I saw that it did not change back to default mode... Then I changed to 5 minutes just to check and it is not changing back to default...

am I doing something wrong???

Thanks,
    Interval trigger currently only works for triggered modes not manually started. Fix for this coming at least for 1.1.0. Maybe earlier.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I've read the entire thread and didn't find it.. Mind explaining one more time?
    post 337: http://forums.precentral.net/2636312-post337.html
    The bluetooth problem is happening on some phones more often than on others. I am working a workaround that hopefully fixes the situation on all users. But its slow process since I am not seeing this problem on my phone very often so this is hard to test.

I don't know why profiles and MS would not play nice together, as far as I know they should. If MS is saying it needs to fetch default config then it means that it is not saving the configuration and that is problem with the system database. Not sure if luna restarting could cause this or the profiles app. At least I am not fond of the idea of luna restart for settings to take effect. I would gladly add QL changing support into MS, but not before it can be done without restart.
    Thanks for the quick reply!! I need to keep on top of this thread -- it moves quick.

If you would add QL changing support that would be a GREAT feature add. Thanks for considering it!