Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Just thought of something else if you setup the mode you described how can you make a mode that will turn it back on when one is available? Is that possible?
    Well if bt / wifi is not on its hard for them to detect if something is available. So then the turning on has to be made manually activating mode etc.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Still trying to get a grip on mode switcher it has advanced so much from when we first started testing so maybe time or gps trigger. Have to play around with it. I didn't see the explanation for modifier mode in the manual can someone help me understand that one.
  3.    #243  
    Still trying to get a grip on mode switcher it has advanced so much from when we first started testing so maybe time or gps trigger. Have to play around with it. I didn't see the explanation for modifier mode in the manual can someone help me understand that one.
    Yes of course time or GPS can be used to toggle them on again. And yes MS has advanced a little bit The manual should explain modifier mode. The difference for the user feels a bit small, but code wise the separation make things easier. In short the difference is that multiple modifier modes can be active at the same time so settings that are not set are not just set, unlike in normal modes unset settings are taken from default mode.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    That still sounds like foreign language to me. Are there any examples of settings that a visual learner could see. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I wonder why the author of that patch (fixed keyboard brightness) has not submitted it to Preware yet.

-- Rod
    What does it take to submit the patch to Preware? Can anyone do it or just the original author?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    What does it take to submit the patch to Preware? Can anyone do it or just the original author?
    anyone can submit the update dbsooner checks the patches for clean installs.
    That still sounds like foreign language to me. Are there any examples of settings that a visual learner could see. :-)
    I thought I explained the difference between Normal and Modifier modes relatively well in the manual on the Modes page.

As sconix said, the major difference is that Normal modes get any settings they don't control from the default mode. Modifier modes get any unset settings from the active mode.

The main usage is so you can have a mode that changes one or two things without having to close the active mode. And the bonus is that you an have many of these mini modes (modifiers) active at once.
    hey sconix, I'm sure others have already suggested this, but are you planning on adding keyboard brightness control so we can get rid of the brightness unlinked app? I think it would be a highly used function..

sj
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    I thought I explained the difference between Normal and Modifier modes relatively well in the manual on the Modes page.

As sconix said, the major difference is that Normal modes get any settings they don't control from the default mode. Modifier modes get any unset settings from the active mode.

The main usage is so you can have a mode that changes one or two things without having to close the active mode. And the bonus is that you an have many of these mini modes (modifiers) active at once.
    You did, but I am a visual learner so without seeing examples of it I am still a little unsure how it works. Thanks for the manual though. I guess what I am looking for is an example of the modifier setting in action if that makes sense.

So if I have a default mode that has gps, wifi, and bluetooth off but when I plug in my usb in the car I want gps and bluetooth to come on or when I plug in my aux plug in my car to run pre through stereo I want bluetooth to come on so I can answer calls through my headset. When I get to work I want only wifi on and Instant messaging off. When I get back home I want wifi and bluetooth on but gps off. So with that in mind what would be normal and a modifier?
    Last edited by mamouton; 08/28/2010 at 08:18 PM.
    My low battery trigger is no longer working. Anyone else having this issue?

Chris
  11.    #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    My low battery trigger is no longer working. Anyone else having this issue?

Chris
    The battery trigger has a bug that if the battery level drops many percentages at the same time the trigger wont notice the level going over the set limits. So this is most likely why it did not work for you at least if the trigger fails sometimes but not everytime. If it stopped working completely then WebOS is not feeding the info at all to MS and maybe reboot will fix. The bug is fixed in tomorrow release (1.0.7).
    I'v actually just tested it a couple times by changing the trigger percent level and it still isn't working. I also tried rebooting, but still no change. Will be interested to see if tmr's update fixes the bug.

Chris
    sconix I have mode switcher luna patch installed I just did a full restart and it told me that I needed to install the patch to prevent the lock from coming up. I am uninstalling luna patch and reinstalling again. Any reason why that happened?
    You did, but I am a visual learner so without seeing examples of it I am still a little unsure how it works. Thanks for the manual though. I guess what I am looking for is an example of the modifier setting in action if that makes sense.

So if I have a default mode that has gps, wifi, and bluetooth off but when I plug in my usb in the car I want gps and bluetooth to come on or when I plug in my aux plug in my car to run pre through stereo I want bluetooth to come on so I can answer calls through my headset. When I get to work I want only wifi on and Instant messaging off. When I get back home I want wifi and bluetooth on but gps off. So with that in mind what would be normal and a modifier?
    Let me give you my basic mode setup and see if that helps at all. I actually have more Modifier modes than Normal modes. The key to my setup also is that I use a "Home" mode (Normal) that is triggered by my home Wifi. Therefore my Default Mode opens when I leave my house.

Default Mode: Automatic Roaming, Brightness 30%, Screen Timeout 30s, Data On, Wifi On, GPS On, All Volumes Max

Normal Modes:
    Home (wifi trigger)- Roam Only, Brightness 0%, Screen Timeout 1m, Data Off, GPS Off,
    Work (gps trigger)- Volume 50%, Brightness 0%, Screen Timeout 15s, Data On, Wifi Off
    Night (touchstone/time trigger) - Brightness 0%, Blink Notify Off, Launch Timepiece on Start and Exit on Close

So I am always in one of these 4 (3 normal and default mode) modes depending on where I am and the time of day.

Modifier Modes:
    Daily Briefing (time trigger)- Launches informational apps every morning (calendar, twitter, weather)
    Messaging (app/screen trigger)- Screen timeout 5 minutes, Messaging Sound: Vibrate Only (this makes it so if I am using Messaging, the screen stays on for a while and does not make a noise every time I get a message)
    Driving (bluetooth trigger)- Brightness 30%, Launch BFG Maps + FitTrack, Always On on Charger
    Low Battery (battery trigger)- various settings to save battery
    Reading (app trigger)- Screen timeout 5 minutes (screen stays on for a while if pReader is open)

As you can see from my modifier modes, they are mostly things that you don't want to put every setting in the phone in, and they shouldn't have to take over the whole phone just to be in that mode. So they are simple modes that run on top of my "Main Modes" that the phone is always in. Any setting that the modifier modes don't touch stays the way it is set from my main mode that is active at the time.

Does that help at all?
    I saw that in the manual but your layout makes it clear now so at work you have Work (gps trigger)- Volume 50%, Brightness 0%, Screen Timeout 15s, Data On, Wifi Off
    but during your meeting at a designated time your modified mode Launches every morning (calendar, twitter, weather) for a predetermined time limit while the work mode is still running. Now I also read that modifier can't close an app so you have to close the three apps manually am I correct?
    But yes a "meeting" mode running on top of a "work" mode is an excellent example of how to use the different modes effectively.

edit: sconix has informed me that modifier modes can in fact track apps for closing later. sorry for the misinformation.
    Last edited by tobias funke; 08/29/2010 at 08:02 AM.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Let me give you my basic mode setup and see if that helps at all. I actually have more Modifier modes than Normal modes. The key to my setup also is that I use a "Home" mode (Normal) that is triggered by my home Wifi. Therefore my Default Mode opens when I leave my house.

Default Mode: Automatic Roaming, Brightness 30%, Screen Timeout 30s, Data On, Wifi On, GPS On, All Volumes Max

Normal Modes:
    Home (wifi trigger)- Roam Only, Brightness 0%, Screen Timeout 1m, Data Off, GPS Off,
    Work (gps trigger)- Volume 50%, Brightness 0%, Screen Timeout 15s, Data On, Wifi Off
    Night (touchstone/time trigger) - Brightness 0%, Blink Notify Off, Launch Timepiece on Start and Exit on Close

So I am always in one of these 4 (3 normal and default mode) modes depending on where I am and the time of day.

Modifier Modes:
    Daily Briefing (time trigger)- Launches informational apps every morning (calendar, twitter, weather)
    Messaging (app/screen trigger)- Screen timeout 5 minutes, Messaging Sound: Vibrate Only (this makes it so if I am using Messaging, the screen stays on for a while and does not make a noise every time I get a message)
    Driving (bluetooth trigger)- Brightness 30%, Launch BFG Maps + FitTrack, Always On on Charger
    Low Battery (battery trigger)- various settings to save battery
    Reading (app trigger)- Screen timeout 5 minutes (screen stays on for a while if pReader is open)

As you can see from my modifier modes, they are mostly things that you don't want to put every setting in the phone in, and they shouldn't have to take over the whole phone just to be in that mode. So they are simple modes that run on top of my "Main Modes" that the phone is always in. Any setting that the modifier modes don't touch stays the way it is set from my main mode that is active at the time.

Does that help at all?

Suppose your low battery modifier mode turned off Bluetooth, and you were in the car and your battery level dropped and activated that mode. How do you prevent this from disabling your Bluetooth connection?
    That is where Mode Blocking comes into play. For example you could set Driving mode to block "All Modifier Modes", which would keep any modifier mode from launching during that time.

The other suggestion for that scenario (for people with touchstones or other chargers in their car) is to set the triggers in Low Battery to:
    - Battery 20% - 0%
    - Charger: Disconnected

That way Low Battery only opens if it is not charging, and if you have a charger in the car you can avoid that scenario without having to use mode blocking.

Along the same lines, you could even add a bluetooth trigger to Low Battery set to "disconnected", and it would never activate if it the phone is connected by bluetooth to something.

Many of the triggers are reversible in the same way.
    I had a bluetooth setting by time of day and one day I was running late for work and talking via bluetooth and at the time it was supposed to turn off it turned off lol!
    That's too funny LOL