Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216166676869707172 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1431
    Thank you for the help - found the thread based on some of the terms you all helped me with in this thread and was able to fix. Thanks so much.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Not sure what you mean, but ACAL patch is not available for 2.0 since the launcher in WebOS 2.x is binary so its not patcheable. My other patches will be available for 2.0 as well, but not this one unfortunately.
    Currently running a Sprint Pre with 2.1. This fact alone is enough for me to go back to 1.4.5. Your App Launcher work was THE example of customization I showed to other Pre owners for the power of Preware and homebrew developers.

I can't stand the new launcher It's really frustrating having to swipe through all the pages, and not being able to tap-to-move an app to a new page.

I also use your device menu patch and am going to be downloading the system preferences patches as well. I was looking for a replacement for my app My Notification and I think your's is the solution.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    i tried to reinstall it through WEBOS QI and it says this... java.lang.NullPointerException
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    i tried to reinstall it through WEBOS QI and it says this... java.lang.NullPointerException
    Please review the wiki. The recommended installation method is via Preware. If you are having troubles installing/reinstalling, I would suggest running EPR from Preware and starting from scratch with the Advanced patches, then move onto any other patches you wish to have installed.

All the steps are listed on the wiki.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Yes, at least mostly. Hiding and renaming of apps might be possible by some means, but not easily. Will look into those at some point, but first will wait and see if HP improves the launcher more..
    Well we can HOPE that HP improves the launcher. Your Patch is the one single patch I am REALLY missing on 2.1. The new Launcher is OK, but nowhere near as good for UI as your patch was.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Hello, this isn't necessarily an ACAL issue, but I had this happen the other day:
    In one of those really nifty (sarcasm) moments when the Pre Plus goes comatose trying to figure out what in the world to do with itself for a minute or so (BTW what's really happening here, network updates? Backups? Searching for a signal? Is there another thread for this?) Anyway, it's one of those times where everything ends up on a 10 second delay, taps and actions and all of it, I can't even get the reset menu to come up right. Before I yanked the battery again, I managed to bring up the ACSP menu for an icon and instead of MOVING it or making the menu go away, I tapped [hide] for the icon. Poof. I can type it in search, of course it's still there, so it's a minor annoyance at best, but I know of no way to Unhide icons, with or without ACAL. Does this make sense, anyone have a way to? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by copasetic; 04/06/2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    Hello, this isn't really a ACSP issue, but I had this happen the other day:
    In one of those really nifty (sarcasm) moment when the Pre Plus goes comatose trying to figure out what to do with itself for a minute or so (What's really happening here, network updates? Backups? Searching for a signal? Is there another thread for this?) Anyway, it's one of those times where everything ends up on a 10 second delay, taps and actions and all of it, I can't even get the reset menu to come up right. Before I yanked the battery again, I managed to bring up the ACSP menu for an icon and instead of MOVING it or making the menu go away, it I tapped hide for the icon. Poof. I can type it in search, of course it's still there, so it's a minor annoyance at best, but I know of no way to Unhide icons, with or without ACSP. Does this make sense, anyone have a way to? Thanks in advance.
    Wrong thread. Hiding/showing apps from launcher is ACAL, not ACSP.
    See here instead.

Yes there is a way to unhide them. See this section on the wiki.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    <<posts moved>>

Note: posts #1409 & #1410 moved from ACSP thread to this (ACAL) thread.

Hi,

by now enough interesting apps that are exclusive to WebOS 2.x have appeared that I had just about decided to upgrade my Pre+ to version 2.whatever - until I read that ACAL won't ever be available for that OS version.

As I consider the default launcher to be abysmally awful - to just call it rubbish would be flattery - this means no v.2 for me :-(

Is there any halfway reliable info about the Pre 3's launcher? Will it be just such a heap of ****** as (IMHO) all of Palm's launchers have been since my first device(the IIIe)?

Without the ability to use third party software (LauncherIII/LauncherX on PalmOS, ACAL on WebOS) to configure the launcher in a way that's acceptable to my personal taste, I would never have bought another Palm device after the first one.

So, will the Pre+ be my last Palm device only because from now on they will all be HP devices, or will I have to look for a new Platform altogether?

Jochen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    Hi,

by now enough interesting apps that are exclusive to WebOS 2.x have appeared that I had just about decided to upgrade my Pre+ to version 2.whatever - until I read that ACAL won't ever be available for that OS version.

As I consider the default launcher to be abysmally awful - to just call it rubbish would be flattery - this means no v.2 for me :-(

Is there any halfway reliable info about the Pre 3's launcher? Will it be just such a heap of ****** as (IMHO) all of Palm's launchers have been since my first device(the IIIe)?

Without the ability to use third party software (LauncherIII/LauncherX on PalmOS, ACAL on WebOS) to configure the launcher in a way that's acceptable to my personal taste, I would never have bought another Palm device after the first one.

So, will the Pre+ be my last Palm device only because from now on they will all be HP devices, or will I have to look for a new Platform altogether?

Jochen
    It is hard to say what the Pre3 and beyond will bring with Enyo, etc... It is certainly possible that the launcher could one day again be somewhat patchable, but at the levels it was under 1.4.x, I doubt it.

IMHO... That is really what would be keeping you from continuing on with webOS?

I was not thrilled about not being able to have ACAL, etc... on the device either, but I got used to it when I put 2.1 on my Pre- and since moving on to a Sprintified Pre2.

Sure the icons are bigger and you can't do 4x4 or whatever, but it's not that bad. There are patches and manual ways to hide icons if that is what your wanting.

webOS 2.x brought with it adding launcher pages and moving them around. The part I miss the most is being able to set a default page and have it jump to the top automatically, but I have gotten over that too. Small minor irritation in the grand scheme of things.

This is all IMHO. I totally understand your frustration, but overall I got used to it and kept moving on. Once getting on to a Pre2, webOS 2.x is much better than 1.4.5 IMO.

Hopefully the launcher won't stop you from continuing on with webOS.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by compuseum View Post
    So you "patched" yourself to get along with your phone? For me that's not the way it's gonna work. The phone is *my* tool that has to adapt to *my* wishes and shortcomings. Not vice-versa
    What you do you mean "patched yourself" and "not the way it's gonna work" for you?

The purposes of patches is to "patch" the shortcomings of webOS that Palm/HP should have done the first and subsequent times around.

Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    The purposes of patches is to "patch" the shortcomings of webOS that Palm/HP should have done the first and subsequent times around.
    Exactly!

And for HP/Palm to make it impossible to deal with one of the most glaring shortcomings of WebOS (after all, you see it every time you switch on your device) is adding insult to injury.

To me it seems that the developers of the Launcher are saying "we may have atrocious taste, but it's OUR device, and we just graciously permit you, the customers, to us it; so take it or leave it."

This kind of attitude is (just) understandable if you shovel in the money the way Apple does, but a chickens**t outfit like HP's Palm division should NOT go out of its way to anger ANY of its customers!

I've no idea if there are many who loathe the default launcher like I do, but there is certainly no one who would protest if given the option to stay with the default or to change the launcher's look and feel.

Regards,

Jochen
    On that note, let's get this thread back on track. There are other threads for bringing opinions forth about the launcher and other Palm successes and failures.

I've had a problem with this patch, I used it great on my old pre but I just used the meta-doctor (as I've gotten a new phone and want to use my pre as a wifi device) and now this will not install. The error it gives is this:

Code:
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/appinfo.json.rej
    I believe it's because when I ran the meta doctor, I enabled "unhide first use application" which conflicts with this. Unfortunately, that's not a patch, it's written into the meta-doctor image, so it's not possible for me to uninstall it to make this work. I could re-meta-doctor without that flag enabled, but I don't want to...how would I modify and then install this patch to be meta-doctor safe?
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfrock66 View Post
    I've had a problem with this patch, I used it great on my old pre but I just used the meta-doctor (as I've gotten a new phone and want to use my pre as a wifi device) and now this will not install. The error it gives is this:

Code:
    Apply anyway? [n]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/appinfo.json.rej
    I believe it's because when I ran the meta doctor, I enabled "unhide first use application" which conflicts with this. Unfortunately, that's not a patch, it's written into the meta-doctor image, so it's not possible for me to uninstall it to make this work. I could re-meta-doctor without that flag enabled, but I don't want to...how would I modify and then install this patch to be meta-doctor safe?
    I don't remember exactly, but I think there was a patch that brings back that app so that patches like ACAL can install correctly.

The reason it won't install is because the app (first use) is missing whether it be from a patch or the meta-scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    I don't remember exactly, but I think there was a patch that brings back that app so that patches like ACAL can install correctly.

The reason it won't install is because the app (first use) is missing whether it be from a patch or the meta-scripts.
    Do you have a link? I tried installing the "unhide first use app" patch and then uninstalling it, which were both successful, but didn't change my outcome with the advanced configuration patch.
    Do you have a link? I tried installing the "unhide first use app" patch and then uninstalling it, which were both successful, but didn't change my outcome with the advanced configuration patch.
    I don't at the moment. I have not been on 1.4.x for some time. I thought it was a patch, but I could be mistaken as well. I can't remember exactly.

18.    #1418  

Code:
    Apply anyway? [n]
    Well easiest is to replace that file with original one, either manually by unpacking the doctor or with the help of webos repair utility.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Which file? I forgot to mention this...the appinfo.json.rej file isn't there, so I don't know what hunk is failing. Would it be the appinfo.json file...which IS there?
  20.    #1420  
    Which file? I forgot to mention this...the appinfo.json.rej file isn't there, so I don't know what hunk is failing. Would it be the appinfo.json file...which IS there?
    Yes the file without the .rej is the correct one.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.