Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by resturg View Post
    I am on Sprint 1.4.5 and have installed all four of the new menu patches and now battery life has suffered. When I open device menu is see Bluetooth is off as it should be but there is spinner icon. When I go to Bluetooth Preferences it says Bluetooth is turning on and never does.
    For my Pre I only turn on the Bluetooth with Car Mode (Mode Switcher manual event). Current I am in Home Mode. Could this be causing my battery drain?
    I have the same issue where the radio (in my case, wifi) appears to be doing something (spinner shown). It shows when I turn on the radio, sometimes when I am even connected already.

I have checked my battery drain with a few tools to compare with the patches/mode switcher installed and not installed. The results are almost the same drain over the same period of time.

Restarting (not luna) my Pre clears it up for a while, then it comes back.

I asked Sconix about this before. He explained what he thinks is happening, but I can't recall the details.

One could reasonable say that if a radio was trying repeatedly to turn on/off or was hung up, etc... that it would drain the battery. I had the same thoughts in the beginning as well.

I'm just saying from my tests/experience with it, the spinning is not draining the battery at least for me.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Thank you for the information. My Pre lives on the touchstone most of the work day, but I was out of office when I got 20% notice so I been on witch hunt finding what could be causing the problem. I just occurred to me that I have got opening day Pre and the battery may need to be replaced. Not excited about buying new battery when Pre 2 should be out about Christmas time.
    In the mean time I will also turn off GPS and remove the GPS Mode Switcher Trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by resturg View Post
    Thank you for the information. My Pre lives on the touchstone most of the work day, but I was out of office when I got 20% notice so I been on witch hunt finding what could be causing the problem. I just occurred to me that I have got opening day Pre and the battery may need to be replaced. Not excited about buying new battery when Pre 2 should be out about Christmas time.
    In the mean time I will also turn off GPS and remove the GPS Mode Switcher Trigger.
    No problem. Yeah, I use the GPS sparingly cause it really eats into the battery.
    I have a low battery modifier mode for MS that shuts down all sorts of stuff. I've had to bump up the level some lately cause my battery is going to hell too.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  4. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    The new updates sound awesome, I can't wait for Friday!

Donated for these patches, and the awesome mode switcher. Couldn't live without them!
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    My solution to the Spinning Bluetooth of Death is to completely avoid toggling the radio. I just suck it up and leave it on.
  6.    #706  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I'm new to this and already loving it. However, with the System Menu Mods patch installed, my device menu cannot be opened at all for some reason - the phone registers a touch in the top bar but niothing happens. If an app is open, its app menu can be accessed normally, but when no app is in focus, no top bar menus can be opened.

I have correctly installed all pertinent patches, and have no other patches installed that touch on the device menu. I do have the GPS icon in top bar patch, but nothing else up there. Could the Mods patch be reacting with my theme (glass effect)? What other reasons could there be for this behavior?
    You have some other locale than en_us I guess. The patches are still missing the localization and hence won't work. The localization support is coming to the patches within next month. Just bare with me, bit busy with all the stuff I am doing
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  7.    #707  
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    I have the same issue where the radio (in my case, wifi) appears to be doing something (spinner shown). It shows when I turn on the radio, sometimes when I am even connected already.

I have checked my battery drain with a few tools to compare with the patches/mode switcher installed and not installed. The results are almost the same drain over the same period of time.

Restarting (not luna) my Pre clears it up for a while, then it comes back.

I asked Sconix about this before. He explained what he thinks is happening, but I can't recall the details.

One could reasonable say that if a radio was trying repeatedly to turn on/off or was hung up, etc... that it would drain the battery. I had the same thoughts in the beginning as well.

I'm just saying from my tests/experience with it, the spinning is not draining the battery at least for me.
    Yes the spinning does not mean that the radio would be constantly doing something, its not so its not eating any battery. The bug is in somewhere in the original Palm code most likely that the top bar is not registering all events and therefore the spinner is just left on for some situations. Will look into this when I have more time. It is not causing real problems at least for me so haven't put taht on top of the pile on my TODO list yet.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    You have some other locale than en_us I guess. The patches are still missing the localization and hence won't work. The localization support is coming to the patches within next month. Just bare with me, bit busy with all the stuff I am doing
    Spot on, I'm rocking the de_de. Thank you for clarifying

And just FYI, the mode menu and today menu work absolutely fine even without localization support.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/26/2010 at 04:12 AM.
  9.    #709  
    New version of app launcher patch will be available later today. Here is short instructions about the new features:

For displaying page header / tabs, just select the header to be shown from the menu. The showing of name is the default, then selecting 'use tabs for pages' from the menu will set the header to be shown as tabs. When 1-5 pages the tabs are shown as numbers, when more then for 4 first pages there is a tab with number and then menu access for selecting from all of the pages (like with the name). Then gesture+tap for 1-4 number tabs will go to page + 4. Which means that gesture+tap to #1 will jump to #5 and so on. So maximum of 8 pages can be accessed through tabs.

Then renaming / hiding app just gesture+tap to icon and select the action. For showing a hidden app just open the list all applications from the app menu and select the app and you have a button for showing the app.

This patch also now includes the gesture+tap for app info patch so uninstall that if you have it installed!
    Thank you for your hard work, sconix!

A little feature request for System Menu Mods v2: display battery and/or CPU core temperature somewhere. Right now, the battery level indicator tells me whether my phone is charging or discharging... i already knew that. A good space for a temperature indicator? I think I speak for all overclockers when I say that it's very good to have a quick, handy way to pull up your CPU temperature.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Gesture swipe on that upper right menu and Show Device. It's already there.
  12.    #712  
    Thank you for your hard work, sconix!

A little feature request for System Menu Mods v2: display battery and/or CPU core temperature somewhere. Right now, the battery level indicator tells me whether my phone is charging or discharging... i already knew that. A good space for a temperature indicator? I think I speak for all overclockers when I say that it's very good to have a quick, handy way to pull up your CPU temperature.
    My criterias for adding features are that it has to be useful and usable for normal users and it can't require any hacks. So features for overclockers are out of my scope. I am fully happy for the blacing speed of stock Pre (I am not a heavy user,I only have few important apps and that's it). So sorry no those features from me.
    As long as it's not continuously polling the temperature and only displays it on user request - otherwise it would contribute to draining the battery.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    The patch of "system menu mods v1" is so cooool, while just lack of one feature for me, it cannot set "time of screen off" quickly, is it possible to add this function to your super patch pls? I often set screen off to never or to 2min.
    A "time of screen off" quick setting sounds cool!
  16.    #716  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlx View Post
    The patch of "system menu mods v1" is so cooool, while just lack of one feature for me, it cannot set "time of screen off" quickly, is it possible to add this function to your super patch pls? I often set screen off to never or to 2min.
    Will think about this.
    as of this morning this patch is broken and will not update or reinstall . Even though I ran epr it will not work
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    as of this morning this patch is broken and will not update or reinstall . Even though I ran epr it will not work
    Are you trying to install v1.4.5.44?
    There is a bug in that version and the next release is being or has been pushed to address the issue.

19.    #719  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Update is already hitting the feeds as soon as auto builder will pick it up.
    there was an update this morning and I installed and then ran epr after trying to fix the problem and still no go
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->