webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Digikat Software > DigiOBDII
DigiOBDII

Old 05/03/2011, 05:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
Some of my "feature requests" can be found at this other thread, but basically, instantaneous gas mileage would be nice.
App wanted (bounty offered) - PreCentral Forums

Edit: merphie already commented in my other thread, this is just for good housekeeping
I just post here since it would be an app we have to support.

Quote:
BTW Rev is probably the most universal app in terms of codes for each vehicle but there is also fuzzycar and dashcommand. I used fuzzycar previously with the PLX-Kiwi WiFi but webOS (as far as 1.4.5, probably 2.x too) will not allow an ad-hoc wireless connection (I tried activation from the terminal) so the Kiwi isn't useful; bluetooth all the way for now in 2.x.

Dashcommand lets users customize gages (that's its greatest distinction)
WebOs 2.X shouldn't be limited in Wifi or Bluetooth.
merphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2011, 10:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I talked to Palm. Apparently the Pre 2 is supposed to support Ad-Hoc networks.
Old 05/05/2011, 06:43 AM   #23 (permalink)

merphie,

Have you figured out if you're going to go forward with this or not? Just curious if I should start looking into other means--scangauge, etc. Thanks.

Norris
npyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2011, 07:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richip View Post
I'd be interested. There's an OBD II reader on sale right now at Canadian Tire for Can$99. I've no need to purchase immediately so if this project pans out, I'll wait for it.
+1 I'd buy it
Old 05/05/2011, 07:43 AM   #25 (permalink)

I'd definitely be interested in this. I'm also wondering whether it's possible not just to read codes but trigger self-tests; I wrote a review of a PalmOS OBDII solution some years ago that had that feature (wish I could find the darned review!). {Jonathan}
@webOSquire on Twitter
Jonathan I Ezor#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2011, 07:51 AM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Right now, I working with Palm to get some of the issues resolved.
Old 05/05/2011, 08:19 AM   #27 (permalink)

1-individual car microfiches would be amazing. I would buy one for each car in a heartbeat. Then you can select the area of the car you want to see the microfiche for and zoom in and out.

Or even a link to the microfiches stored somewhere online would work too.

2-Install instructions (repair manual), if thats possible.

I would buy something like this. Even if it only allowed monitoring the car over time. Pull up the app and I can see fuel/air ratio, fuel economy, fuel pressure...all charted over time. I know my suggestions are more of a full featured car repair app, but I would pay dearly for that app.
Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2011, 06:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
BTW Rev is probably the most universal app in terms of codes for each vehicle but there is also fuzzycar and dashcommand. I used fuzzycar previously with the PLX-Kiwi WiFi but webOS (as far as 1.4.5, probably 2.x too) will not allow an ad-hoc wireless connection (I tried activation from the terminal) so the Kiwi isn't useful; bluetooth all the way for now in 2.x.
It's official, talked to a Palm engineer and they said they don't have any plans for including support for Ad-hoc.
Old 05/09/2011, 03:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Our application website is located at

DigiOBDII - Vehicle Diagnostics

We anticipate this app will be available in a couple of weeks.
Old 05/09/2011, 03:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
1-individual car microfiches would be amazing. I would buy one for each car in a heartbeat. Then you can select the area of the car you want to see the microfiche for and zoom in and out.

Or even a link to the microfiches stored somewhere online would work too.

2-Install instructions (repair manual), if thats possible.
Specific codes and information for a vehicle are expensive. They charge something like $7,500 each for membership to get the manufacturer specific codes.
Old 05/09/2011, 03:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Hopefully this post sticks...seems it keeps disappearing.

Where does one buy the BT attachment/dongle/transmitter from, in Canada? I need one that's compatible with a 2003 RAM diesel truck and a Motorola Atrix. I need to be able to go into a store and buy one, not order it from the internet, as it's for a birthday present for next weekend. Thanks for the help.
Please don't hijack this thread. This thread is for discussions related to our software. You would probably have better luck in finding equipment locally by your phonebook or asking a part store.
Old 05/09/2011, 03:28 PM   #32 (permalink)

Ok so IF I'm going to BUY your APP....
I'd like to know where to get the appropriate hardware....that's not hijacking the thread.
You are going to make the app, that's fine, it would be great if you could involve yourself a little more and tell us where/who sells these things, thanks very much.

BTW, I did quite a bit of research yesterday and wasn't having much luck, so thanks for the "use the phonebook" ......already tried that one
Old 05/09/2011, 03:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Ok so IF I'm going to BUY your APP....
I'd like to know where to get the appropriate hardware....that's not hijacking the thread.
You are going to make the app, that's fine, it would be great if you could involve yourself a little more and tell us where/who sells these things, thanks very much.

BTW, I did quite a bit of research yesterday and wasn't having much luck, so thanks for the "use the phonebook" ......already tried that one
You specifically mentioned a non-WebOS device to connect. If it's andriod the I would suggest searching on andriods applications for compatible hardware. Being this is a Pre website and all.

The information for vendors is available on our website for devices we will support. Many previous posts on here also mention different manufacturers for the hardware. Not to mention the three or four other threads on this topic.

Furthermore, unless someone lives in your city they probably can't tell you where you could get it beyond some place on the internet which your specifically said you didn't want. That's kind of like asking where the best delivery pizza is in my area. Chances are you don't even have the same pizza joints where you live.

I can tell you that none of the local stores around here Autozone, O'reilly's, or AutoParts carry these devices. If you have these chains up where you live. They have handheld scanners that provides everything (no additional software needed) for about $300. I have one of these too. Bluetooth scanners (etc) are specific toward a small group of users who are more than likely shadetree mechanics. A auto service place isn't going to use something like this. They usually have the big expensive toys that provide a lot more information and functions then would be possible in a mobile app. At least, I have yet to see someone at a dealership using their cellphone for this.

Personally, I have used ScanTools products for many years starting with my labtop. However, they are primarily an internet store so you could order one, but you would need to have it shipped by express to get it within the time period you specified. They also have a forum on their website which you would probably have better luck at locating something locally.
Old 05/09/2011, 04:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
I'd definitely be interested in this. I'm also wondering whether it's possible not just to read codes but trigger self-tests; I wrote a review of a PalmOS OBDII solution some years ago that had that feature (wish I could find the darned review!). {Jonathan}
What do you mean? If certain sensors are outside of a range then perform something? I think the standard codes only include test for the O2 sensors.
Old 05/09/2011, 05:17 PM   #35 (permalink)

I would probably but this.....
navinag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 01:10 AM   #36 (permalink)

This is so useful. I actually have used my TREO 755P with an ELM327 with Bluetooth and I loved it. I would love to have an app like that in my WebOS!

When can test this? I have the hardware already to do a test! and give back inmediate feedback....heck I even have a CEL right now!

Thanks!
guanacux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 02:14 AM   #37 (permalink)

Depending on the price and the price of the device, I would buy this. I wonder if it can be used to reprogram my wireless remote?

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
e-gadget-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 06:29 AM   #38 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
Depending on the price and the price of the device, I would buy this. I wonder if it can be used to reprogram my wireless remote?
No, reprogramming the remotes requires knowledge of manufacturer specific codes which is extremely expensive to obtain.
Old 05/12/2011, 06:30 AM   #39 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanacux View Post
This is so useful. I actually have used my TREO 755P with an ELM327 with Bluetooth and I loved it. I would love to have an app like that in my WebOS!

When can test this? I have the hardware already to do a test! and give back inmediate feedback....heck I even have a CEL right now!

Thanks!
We anticipate a release in a week.
Old 05/13/2011, 04:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

We have posted a walk though on our website at

DigiOBDII - Help

This shows the features of the first version that should be available soon.

Tags
obd, obdii

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0