Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 139
  1. #81  
    FWIW all those features merphie just mentioned are available in the stock calendar using the free patch UberCalendar plus a bunch more. It's also multi-lingual & supports all currently available webOS versions and syncs with your existing Synergy accounts.

    Not saying one's better than the other (because it's really an apples vs oranges thing). Just didn't know if you were aware of the option.

    The thread for UberCalendar is: http://m.forums.precentral.net/webos...dar-patch.html

    And the thread for the Wiki is: http://m.forums.precentral.net/webos...-uc-patch.html
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    FWIW all those features merphie just mentioned are available in the stock calendar using the free patch UberCalendar plus a bunch more. It's also multi-lingual & supports all currently available webOS versions and syncs with your existing Synergy accounts.
    Actually no, UberCalendar is a patch and requires technical knowledge to implement it. I assume it has an agenda view but I could never get that to work. It doesn't implement floating events or categories. Our application has many more features than a patch.

    We haven't implemented the Synergy integration yet but we will have that done soon.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by merphie View Post
    ...
    I assume it has an agenda view but I could never get that to work. ...
    Ubercalendar provided an agenda view using the program Agenda, which unfortunately is not compatible with webOS 2.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by merphie View Post
    Actually no, UberCalendar is a patch and requires technical knowledge to implement it. I assume it has an agenda view but I could never get that to work. It doesn't implement floating events or categories. Our application has many more features than a patch.

    We haven't implemented the Synergy integration yet but we will have that done soon.
    Actually, it's must have been a LONG time since you last looked at UberCalendar. It DOES have all those features & much more. I don't know what you mean by technical knowledge, but if a user can use preware, they can install UberCalendar easily.

    Before you slam something, you really ought to make sure you're up to date on your data.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Ubercalendar provided an agenda view using the program Agenda, which unfortunately is not compatible with webOS 2.
    And that's been addressed as well. UberCalendar has an agenda view for all versions of webOS. It's a relatively new addition for 2.x, but it's there & it works great.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    And that's been addressed as well. UberCalendar has an agenda view for all versions of webOS. It's a relatively new addition for 2.x, but it's there & it works great.
    Thanks. I hadn't caught up with that.

    EDIT: I see that it uses HP's Agenda program for it's agenda.
    Last edited by johncc; 05/16/2011 at 02:25 AM.
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Actually, it's must have been a LONG time since you last looked at UberCalendar. It DOES have all those features & much more. I don't know what you mean by technical knowledge, but if a user can use preware, they can install UberCalendar easily.

    Before you slam something, you really ought to make sure you're up to date on your data.
    I read the patch file and looked here when the agenda didn't work. http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...genda-app.html That doesn't really affect me because I am not using 2.X but that's the problem with a patch.

    Technical knowledge because the boards are full of people asking for help with it. Not that it is a bad thing. Putting the device in developer mode and running a patch maybe a bit much for most people. Especially if something goes wrong. Palm won't support patches.

    I'm not slamming anything. I was simply pointing out that DigiCalendar has far many features than a patch. For one thing, floating events and categories aren't possible with a patch because it requires additional data. Those aren't even in the feature list.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
  8. #88  
    I'm sorry to contradict you merphie, but UberCalendar DOES do categories & such. And, yes, it requires additional info: people create/manage categories, create calendar views (selectable groups of calendars to view/operate on), create template accounts, etc.

    Denigrating a product just because something is a patch & not a full app is ignorant. Apparently you haven't had the time to look into the wonderful work the Homebrew community does. With "just patches" they have broadened the scope of what a webOS device is capable of many fold. Today, patches can take the raw materials HP /Palm give us and take it in amazing directions, with unbelievabe abilities. When they work their magic, my phone turns into a whole new phone. "Just by patching".

    Your claim - at least implied - that UberCalendar, and other products like it, could never be as capable, and certainly never more capable, than DigiCalender is a lie and bigoted. A feature comparison of them both, as they stand as current versions, might not be a project that you and DigiCalendar would want to participate in - I think you'll be shocked to find you'll lose..

    People come here to ask questions about DigiCalendar also because many features are non-obvious and the (until last week non-existant) documentation is apparantly, shall we say, a work in progress. On the UberCalendar forums, if you ever read them, the number 1 response by far is "go back & read post 1 & the wifi. Follow directions. RTFM." you'd be amazed - once people actually read the directions it _magically_ starts to work right.

    Again, you've got me writing as if one product is better than the other, they're NOT! Whether you approach a problem with a patch or a new app, either has challenges, advantages, and, yes, weaknesses associated with it. Neither is inherently better or worse than the others. The are both potential yellow brick roads to the goal.

    Keep your eyes on that goal. Focus on your goal. This type of discussion is very unneccessary. I've not said anything bad about DigiCalendar - neck I use many of your apps now. I haven't said one path is better. Either one you choose could be the right one for you. Zeal is wonderful, zeal with blinders is dangerous. Remember, this all started when I wrote a couple of sentences telling a user about another compelling products, extolled some of it's virtues and how to find info about it. I didn't say anything about DigiCalendar being full of holes, just said here's something else you might like and here's how to find out more about it.


    Calm down. In no way should this be seen as an attack on others. At best, trying to blow some smoke & mirrors from the arena. Both products are great and do jobs we're designed to do. If you want to honestly evaluate one or the other, look at Palm's review guide, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, READ THE EFFING MANUAL. Software these days can become so bloated and buggy, it's difficult to be honest and objective. It's your hard money & time. Invest it as best you are able. Remember, you don't need brand loyaly, you need bra.ds. Who will be loyal to you, and more important, loyal to your data & ideals
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I'm sorry to contradict you merphie, but UberCalendar DOES do categories & such. And, yes, it requires additional info: people create/manage categories, create calendar views (selectable groups of calendars to view/operate on), create template accounts, etc.

    Denigrating a product just because something is a patch & not a full app is ignorant. Apparently you haven't had the time to look into the wonderful work the Homebrew community does. With "just patches" they have broadened the scope of what a webOS device is capable of many fold. Today, patches can take the raw materials HP /Palm give us and take it in amazing directions, with unbelievabe abilities. When they work their magic, my phone turns into a whole new phone. "Just by patching".

    Your claim - at least implied - that UberCalendar, and other products like it, could never be as capable, and certainly never more capable, than DigiCalender is a lie and bigoted. A feature comparison of them both, as they stand as current versions, might not be a project that you and DigiCalendar would want to participate in - I think you'll be shocked to find you'll lose..

    People come here to ask questions about DigiCalendar also because many features are non-obvious and the (until last week non-existant) documentation is apparantly, shall we say, a work in progress. On the UberCalendar forums, if you ever read them, the number 1 response by far is "go back & read post 1 & the wifi. Follow directions. RTFM." you'd be amazed - once people actually read the directions it _magically_ starts to work right.

    Again, you've got me writing as if one product is better than the other, they're NOT! Whether you approach a problem with a patch or a new app, either has challenges, advantages, and, yes, weaknesses associated with it. Neither is inherently better or worse than the others. The are both potential yellow brick roads to the goal.

    Keep your eyes on that goal. Focus on your goal. This type of discussion is very unneccessary. I've not said anything bad about DigiCalendar - neck I use many of your apps now. I haven't said one path is better. Either one you choose could be the right one for you. Zeal is wonderful, zeal with blinders is dangerous. Remember, this all started when I wrote a couple of sentences telling a user about another compelling products, extolled some of it's virtues and how to find info about it. I didn't say anything about DigiCalendar being full of holes, just said here's something else you might like and here's how to find out more about it.


    Calm down. In no way should this be seen as an attack on others. At best, trying to blow some smoke & mirrors from the arena. Both products are great and do jobs we're designed to do. If you want to honestly evaluate one or the other, look at Palm's review guide, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, READ THE EFFING MANUAL. Software these days can become so bloated and buggy, it's difficult to be honest and objective. It's your hard money & time. Invest it as best you are able. Remember, you don't need brand loyaly, you need bra.ds. Who will be loyal to you, and more important, loyal to your data & ideals
    I have not seen categories in ubercalendar. It's not in the links you posted. Do you have a reference url?

    you are trying to put words in my mouth because I never said there was anything wrong with homebrew or patches. I've even said this earlier in this thread when asked to compare the patch with the application. This is pretty much a strawman argument.
    Last edited by merphie; 05/16/2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    a product just because something is a patch & not a full app is ignorant. Apparently you haven't had the time to look into the wonderful work the Homebrew community does. With "just patches" they have broadened the scope of what a webOS device is capable of many fold. Today, patches can take the raw materials HP /Palm give us and take it in amazing directions, with unbelievabe abilities. When they work their magic, my phone turns into a whole new phone. "Just by patching".

    Your claim - at least implied - that UberCalendar, and other products like it, could never be as capable, and certainly never more capable, than DigiCalender is a lie and bigoted. A feature comparison of them both, as they stand as current versions, might not be a project that you and DigiCalendar would want to participate in - I think you'll be shocked to find you'll lose..

    People come here to ask questions about DigiCalendar also because many features are non-obvious and the (until last week non-existant) documentation is apparantly, shall we say, a work in progress. On the UberCalendar forums, if you ever read them, the number 1 response by far is "go back & read post 1 & the wifi. Follow directions. RTFM." you'd be amazed - once people actually read the directions it _magically_ starts to work right.

    Again, you've got me writing as if one product is better than the other, they're NOT! Whether you approach a problem with a patch or a new app, either has challenges, advantages, and, yes, weaknesses associated with it. Neither is inherently better or worse than the others. The are both potential yellow brick roads to the goal.

    Keep your eyes on that goal. Focus on your goal. This type of discussion is very unneccessary. I've not said anything bad about DigiCalendar - neck I use many of your apps now. I haven't said one path is better. Either one you choose could be the right one for you. Zeal is wonderful, zeal with blinders is dangerous. Remember, this all started when I wrote a couple of sentences telling a user about another compelling products, extolled some of it's virtues and how to find info about it. I didn't say anything about DigiCalendar being full of holes, just said here's something else you might like and here's how to find out more about it.

    Calm down. In no way should this be seen as an attack on others. At best, trying to blow some smoke & mirrors from the arena. Both products are great and do jobs we're designed to do. If you want to honestly evaluate one or the other, look at Palm's review guide, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, READ THE EFFING MANUAL. Software these days can become so bloated and buggy, it's difficult to be honest and objective. It's your hard money & time. Invest it as best you are able. Remember, you don't need brand loyaly, you need bra.ds. Who will be loyal to you, and more important, loyal to your data & ideals
    I have fully admitted that I couldn't get the patch to work. I don't have time or desire to play with it. The trouble with patches & lack of options was the reason that DigiCalendar was made in the first place. I even had several patches on my phone once but quit because I got tired of reloading them every time there was an update.

    You have said bad things about our app and have said that another patch/app is better. I don't agree and such I'm entitled to my opinion regardless if I participated in writing it. This is no different than saying that Ford Trucks sucks and Dodge's are better. It doesn't matter if you agree with me or not. Did I just say that all of Ford's products are terrible? Clearly not. The difference here is not only can you complain about the app but the issues can be fixed. We have a very quick turn around when it comes to severe issues and implementing new features.

    This thread is for DigiCalendar support. If you would like to suggest another product to a user, please send a private message or post in an appropriate thread. I certainly don't go to uberCalendar's thread and tell everyone it sucks and they should buy our application because the patch lacks features.

    You can disagree with me. I don't have a problem with that. You can even tell me DigiCalendar sucks, but tell me how it could be better. Don't just say make it like this or that. We're not out to copy anyone's work. What features are missing? What current features could be improved and how?

    you are right that patch or application is irrelevant. I don't like ubercalendar and I do think DigiCalendar is better. On top of that, we have a ton of great features planned. If they can do the same things with uberCalendar then more power to them.
    Last edited by merphie; 05/16/2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammer
  11. #91  
    merphie, sorry about the extremely basic comparison. I'll change it to basic.

    I've used UberCalendar for awhile and would prefer a stand alone program over a patch. I have average computer skills and even though it took me awhile to get UberCalendar to work, I finally got it. Once updating the 2.x I have never gotten agenda to work right. Unless they have changed it in order to add an icon or color square (which I use) you need to type in ICON=red; (red being the icon you wanted to add). Its much easier to add the category in DigiCalendar. UberCalendar is wonderful because it does sync to the stock calendar and google calendar. I add a lot of stuff to my calendar and I need it backed up somewhere (I do realize that is in the works).

    One of the first patches I loaded in my phone was default month view. Someone else might like default day view. It would be nice to be able to set that in digicalendar. Just my two cents.

    ET

    So far, I'm happy with digicalendar.
  12. #92  
    @merphie First, the last paragraph of my last message was not written by me. Somehow, someone has edited it to make my message sound more vitriolic. I don't know who, how, or why, but it wasn't me. I'm trying to keep this discussion calm & adult.

    I don't think I've said anything negative about DigiCalendar, you, or any of your products. I use several & have always been impressed by the support I've received. I think it's GREAT that someone has managed to create a calendar replacement. I know my greatest dissapointment after moving to webOS was not having DateBk or Agendus, or even at least the same level of PIM functioning that PalmOS came with.

    The only reason I went into any details about UberCalendar here was because it was mentioned and some innacurate info was disseminated. That's it.

    I've said a few times over the last few days that UberCalendar is not better than DigiCalendar. It's not a simple comparison to make. Just like any other product, a potential buyer needs to look at what the options can, and cannot, do for them and make a decision based on that.

    In one sense, kicking the tires on UberCalendar is easier because it's free (not really - donations are gratefully accepted for all the hard work done). Considering the price of DigiCalendar (it's a good bit higher than other apps), have you considered releasing a full featured, time limited trial so potential buyers can see how much value there is in DigiCalendar and not just run away from the price without ever giving it a chance? If you're not sure how to do that, drop @hedami a line.

    I probably should have made this disclaimer a lot sooner: I am not involved with the development (beyond testing) of UberCalendar in any way. I receive no benefit from the production of UberCalendar.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    @merphie First, the last paragraph of my last message was not written by me. Somehow, someone has edited it to make my message sound more vitriolic.
    Someone hacked your account? Somebody as too much time on their hands hacking accounts on PreCentral. lol

    ET
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Someone hacked your account? Somebody as too much time on their hands hacking accounts on PreCentral. lol

    ET
    It's especially annoying because I always use strong passwords. I just don't understand why they made the changes they did? Just to promote a flame war? Seems silly to me.
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    merphie, sorry about the extremely basic comparison. I'll change it to basic.

    I've used UberCalendar for awhile and would prefer a stand alone program over a patch. I have average computer skills and even though it took me awhile to get UberCalendar to work, I finally got it. Once updating the 2.x I have never gotten agenda to work right. Unless they have changed it in order to add an icon or color square (which I use) you need to type in ICON=red; (red being the icon you wanted to add). Its much easier to add the category in DigiCalendar. UberCalendar is wonderful because it does sync to the stock calendar and google calendar. I add a lot of stuff to my calendar and I need it backed up somewhere (I do realize that is in the works).

    One of the first patches I loaded in my phone was default month view. Someone else might like default day view. It would be nice to be able to set that in digicalendar. Just my two cents.

    ET

    So far, I'm happy with digicalendar.
    I just don't have the patience to mess around with patches. Personally, I am afraid of them because one I install messed up my phone and I had to doctor it. My phone is my life.

    We didn't include the synergy sync in DigiCalendar because of the major changes in WebOs 2.X related to that. (DigiCalendar was written for 1.4.5) We are working on updating DigiCalendar to use the new features of WebOs 2.1. I suspect all of the developers out there are working toward this goal and converting to the TouchPad.

    One of those features is the data will backup to your palm account. So sync for the purpose of backup won't be needed. Otherwise, synchronization will probably still need DigiSync.

    We've already updated DigiTask and DigiNotes to WebOs 2.1.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I don't think I've said anything negative about DigiCalendar, you, or any of your products. I use several & have always been impressed by the support I've received. I think it's GREAT that someone has managed to create a calendar replacement. I know my greatest dissapointment after moving to webOS was not having DateBk or Agendus, or even at least the same level of PIM functioning that PalmOS came with.

    The only reason I went into any details about UberCalendar here was because it was mentioned and some innacurate info was disseminated. That's it.

    I've said a few times over the last few days that UberCalendar is not better than DigiCalendar. It's not a simple comparison to make. Just like any other product, a potential buyer needs to look at what the options can, and cannot, do for them and make a decision based on that.

    In one sense, kicking the tires on UberCalendar is easier because it's free (not really - donations are gratefully accepted for all the hard work done). Considering the price of DigiCalendar (it's a good bit higher than other apps), have you considered releasing a full featured, time limited trial so potential buyers can see how much value there is in DigiCalendar and not just run away from the price without ever giving it a chance? If you're not sure how to do that, drop @hedami a line.

    I probably should have made this disclaimer a lot sooner: I am not involved with the development (beyond testing) of UberCalendar in any way. I receive no benefit from the production of UberCalendar.
    Stay Tuned, we plan on full integration between all the apps DigiTask, DigiNotes, and DigiCalendar. It will have a lot of the abilities everyone has asked for from Agendus.

    Honestly, I'm not trying to spread misinformation about anyone else's software. Perhaps you struck a nerve with me because I noticed someone was advertising ubercalendar on the review for DigiCalendar. It's been a sore spot since someone left such a tasteless reivew. I apologize.

    I was merely speaking from my personal experience with uberCalendar. When using it, I didn't see categories or floating events which aren't even listed on the features. I saw the "ICON=" but that isn't even the same as what DigiCalendar does.

    We considered a free trial but there isn't a good way to do it.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
  17. #97  
    @merphie Some of the things we've spoken of are in UberCalendar but the first post & wiki aren't at the same stage. The wiki has it on page 12 (it's long because @frantid tries to go into a good bit of detail. It hasn't been added to UberCalendar first page. That's why a lot of it's features go unknown & they're "somewhere" in 136 pages of forum. Any way, I wrote them & they are updating descriptions. I understand documentation being lower on the list - we have real jobs & webOS coding fills the cracks & not enough cracks to document.

    FWIW for you & the other person talking about categories in UC. The way you mentioned (entering ICON=birthday is way out of date. In UberCalendar preferences, you go to the Categories section where you edit categories to your <3's delight. You use categories as a simple drop down menu in the event details screen the same way you use a drop down in the location field to pull data from Contacts & other sources.

    Right from the beginning I liked how this product line was developing. Heck, I coined the phrase DigiOffice When everything comes together, I'll be there buying it. I've enjoyed your other apps I've bought. I expect these to maintain your high standards.

    The thing that seems to have gotten lost in the discussion of "my calendar" is bigger, badder, more featurey, jumps higher, crawls slower, etc than "your calendar" is we're missing, what I think, is the key to any discussion. The discussion is NOT about my tool is better than your tool, my tool is the best in the world! That way leads to nothing but a swollen head & hurt feelings.

    IMO I think the discussion should be a civil, honest, and constructive discourse on capabilities, weaknesses, and how they may best serve my needs. If we do not have the 3 before discourse, we can not converse!

    Once we've actually begun conversing, we can examine the pros & cons of a product: what are its features, how are they implemented, sales & service support, ...Definitely pay attention to those cons - on more than one occasion I've selected the worse product simply because of a 'weakness' that happened to function more comfortably than the 'good' feature did.

    This leads us to the final, most basic, most salient point of the conversation - how will it benefit or hinder me, how will it unnecessarily disrupt or quell my work processes for ME. That's the key to the whole thing - what's in it for me?

    That's why it's impossible to say Product X is better than Product Y. This is something that a person has to decide at a particular task in time. We need to reevaluate this decision every time because sometimes, a good decision isn't in a new situation.

    Phew, what a long winded way to say that both of these products have pros and cons, strengths and weakness that, today, makes X the right choice, while tomorrow the best choice might be Y. If we can get them data (Synergy) compatible, we won't have to make an either or choice: we can just use the best tools out of each product.
  18. #98  
    @merphie About a time limited trial, if you ARE interested in trying it, drop @hedami a line. He's figured out how to do time limited products AND get them in the fatalog.
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    @merphie Some of the things we've spoken of are in UberCalendar but the first post & wiki aren't at the same stage. The wiki has it on page 12 (it's long because @frantid tries to go into a good bit of detail. It hasn't been added to UberCalendar first page. That's why a lot of it's features go unknown & they're "somewhere" in 136 pages of forum. Any way, I wrote them & they are updating descriptions. I understand documentation being lower on the list - we have real jobs & webOS coding fills the cracks & not enough cracks to document.

    FWIW for you & the other person talking about categories in UC. The way you mentioned (entering ICON=birthday is way out of date. In UberCalendar preferences, you go to the Categories section where you edit categories to your <3's delight. You use categories as a simple drop down menu in the event details screen the same way you use a drop down in the location field to pull data from Contacts & other sources.

    Right from the beginning I liked how this product line was developing. Heck, I coined the phrase DigiOffice When everything comes together, I'll be there buying it. I've enjoyed your other apps I've bought. I expect these to maintain your high standards.

    The thing that seems to have gotten lost in the discussion of "my calendar" is bigger, badder, more featurey, jumps higher, crawls slower, etc than "your calendar" is we're missing, what I think, is the key to any discussion. The discussion is NOT about my tool is better than your tool, my tool is the best in the world! That way leads to nothing but a swollen head & hurt feelings.

    IMO I think the discussion should be a civil, honest, and constructive discourse on capabilities, weaknesses, and how they may best serve my needs. If we do not have the 3 before discourse, we can not converse!

    Once we've actually begun conversing, we can examine the pros & cons of a product: what are its features, how are they implemented, sales & service support, ...Definitely pay attention to those cons - on more than one occasion I've selected the worse product simply because of a 'weakness' that happened to function more comfortably than the 'good' feature did.

    This leads us to the final, most basic, most salient point of the conversation - how will it benefit or hinder me, how will it unnecessarily disrupt or quell my work processes for ME. That's the key to the whole thing - what's in it for me?

    That's why it's impossible to say Product X is better than Product Y. This is something that a person has to decide at a particular task in time. We need to reevaluate this decision every time because sometimes, a good decision isn't in a new situation.

    Phew, what a long winded way to say that both of these products have pros and cons, strengths and weakness that, today, makes X the right choice, while tomorrow the best choice might be Y. If we can get them data (Synergy) compatible, we won't have to make an either or choice: we can just use the best tools out of each product.
    Well, if categories are there they just weren't obvious on how to use it. The only drop down I noticed was which synergy account it's showing which isn't the same thing. I digress.

    The whole intention of this thread is to better DigiCalendar. If fact, version 1.0.7 was submitted today adding the default view in preferences and a few bug fixes.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    @merphie About a time limited trial, if you ARE interested in trying it, drop @hedami a line. He's figured out how to do time limited products AND get them in the fatalog.
    Thanks, I have several methods of doing it. It usually requires a server because deleteing the app deletes all the information associated with the app.

    We have several apps that have free trials. DigiDater is one of them. It becomes more complicated because after the free trial you have to deal with billing etc. Right now, it's just better to have one upfront price.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions