webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > No ability to select Hide, Mask, or Read Only in webOS 3.0.5
No ability to select Hide, Mask, or Read Only in webOS 3.0.5

Old 03/23/2012, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Wanted to show a device name on my HP TouchPad (webOS 3.0.5) when connected to a network. Had to edit the file "dhclient.conf" in the path of /etc/dhcp/

In order for this file to be applied it needs to go back into read-only mode.

Watched the YouTube video on a phone version of Internalz Pro, but these do not appear in the TouchPad version 1.5.0 of Internalz Pro. Internalz Pro Tipz #8: Hiding Files - YouTube

Wanted to find out how to set the dhclient.conf to read-only mode after editing to display a host name. Info options on webOS 3.0.5 shows the size, path, under Attributes is a long button called Linux Permissions, followed by the last modified date.

Linux Permissions offers only the options to all the User / Group / Other to Read, Write, and Delete.

There is nothing that allows a file to be masked, hidden, or set (reset) to read only. So how do I reset it back to "read only"?
Xelkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2012, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

command line I would guess
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2012, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
command line I would guess
Don't see an Command Line option in Internal Proz 1.5.0 or would have tried mount -o remount,ro /

Don't see anywhere to invoke a Command Line on this tablet. Must be some elusive creature.
Old 03/23/2012, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelkos View Post
Don't see an Command Line option in Internal Proz 1.5.0 or would have tried mount -o remount,ro /

Don't see anywhere to invoke a Command Line on this tablet. Must be some elusive creature.
The answer is probably on WebOS Internals

maybe here Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

Last edited by johncc; 03/23/2012 at 10:39 PM.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2012, 01:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Did try emailing for support on Internalz Pro but the email bounced back as a bad email address.

So in search of the elusive Command Prompt. Not overly familiar with Linux and editing, though with the webOS 3.0.5 the NovaCom driver from Windows 7 stopped functioning. Have developer mode enabled, reinstalled the NovaCom drivers several times, nothing.

Only wanted to edit the network device name so it would appear on the network with a device name and not just "Palm" with a MAC address.

Kindle Fire was much easier to edit, took less than five minutes.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0