webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > [howto] Create an Ipk File for Any Keyboard Layout
[howto] Create an Ipk File for Any Keyboard Layout
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jason Robitaille

Old 11/17/2011, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Reposted from here, as I figured a dedicated thread would probably be more handy.

Here's the basic template so anyone can make an ipk file for any keyboard layout:
  1. Download the attached ipk template zip and extract it anywhere you want.
  2. Download your desired theme layout from this thread.
  3. Extract the layout's .json file and put it into your template's extracted "keypatch" folder.
  4. Open the "postinst" file in any text editor you want. Edit the last line to replace "qwertyarrows.json" with whatever your layout json's filename is.
  5. Download and run Ipk Packager
  6. Click the "..." button next to Folder textbox. Then navigate to and select the "keypatch" folder.
  7. Put this in the "Destination on device" textbox:
    Code:
    usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.keyboard-layout-mod
  8. Now all you need to do is click the "Create IPK File" button and you'll have your ipk, which you can install with WOSQI (with the same details/restrictions as I stated in my earlier release post of the qwerty layout ipk)

Installation may take approx 10minutes to complete. Go relax, watch some tv or read a book. Don't worry that it takes a while to install. Just please don't force-kill WOSQI because you're impatient; that will do more harm than good.

As this stops/starts and edits LunaSysMgr during installation/uninstallation, I recommend that you install/uninstall the .ipk with WOSQI, not Internalz Pro or Preware (as webOS apps get killed when LunaSysMgr stops).

Lastly, you must also uninstall the keyboard mod before any OTA webOS update.
Attached Files
File Type: zip keyboard-layout-mod-ipk-template.zip (23.6 KB, 44 views) Email Attachment

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and antijingoist like this.
Old 02/23/2012, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am doing some modding through android and would like to pull the stock keyboard and convert to apk, can you help? I'm thinking I mainly need the keyboard file and I should be able to convert it with a tool within android.

Thank you
Tomween1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2012, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

er then u wanna go ask the android guru's on the android forum tbh
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2012, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
er then u wanna go ask the android guru's on the android forum tbh
Well really all I need is the keyboard IPK file
Tomween1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2012, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomween1 View Post
Well really all I need is the keyboard IPK file
just download the keypatch.zip, unzip into keypatch folder on touchpad (make a folder first), go to novaterm or tools/linux commandline on the webosquickinstall jar., type

cd /media/internal/keypatch

then

sh patch.sh generate

worked for me.

* i know its late but someone might still be searching for a way so...
leslie7622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/26/2012, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

not updated for 3.0.5. I've attached a new template which I made from the previous template.

NOTE: i used this for my own mod so the json's filename is different. Other than that, just follow the instructions from before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Reposted from here, as I figured a dedicated thread would probably be more handy.

Here's the basic template so anyone can make an ipk file for any keyboard layout:
  1. Download the attached ipk template zip and extract it anywhere you want.
  2. Download your desired theme layout from this thread.
  3. Extract the layout's .json file and put it into your template's extracted "keypatch" folder.
  4. Open the "postinst" file in any text editor you want. Edit the last line to replace "qwertyarrows.json" with whatever your layout json's filename is.
  5. Download and run Ipk Packager
  6. Click the "..." button next to Folder textbox. Then navigate to and select the "keypatch" folder.
  7. Put this in the "Destination on device" textbox:
    Code:
    usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.keyboard-layout-mod
  8. Now all you need to do is click the "Create IPK File" button and you'll have your ipk, which you can install with WOSQI (with the same details/restrictions as I stated in my earlier release post of the qwerty layout ipk)

Installation may take approx 10minutes to complete. Go relax, watch some tv or read a book. Don't worry that it takes a while to install. Just please don't force-kill WOSQI because you're impatient; that will do more harm than good.

As this stops/starts and edits LunaSysMgr during installation/uninstallation, I recommend that you install/uninstall the .ipk with WOSQI, not Internalz Pro or Preware (as webOS apps get killed when LunaSysMgr stops).

Lastly, you must also uninstall the keyboard mod before any OTA webOS update.
Attached Files
File Type: zip keyboard-layout-mod-ipk-template.zip (23.8 KB, 5 views) Email Attachment
leslie7622 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0