Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I noticed that the above patch was updated today in Preware. What is not clear is what was updated. I had this patch installed before, but then ended up removing it since it didn't seem to help and at times might have actually slowed the download.

Jason, can u please indicate what was changed and was there a bug in the previous version? Thanks a lot for your all the great and thorough work. Thanks Diomark as well.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Not a bug per say.

The original patch was made for webOS 1.3.x, I believe. It added these settings to /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf
    Code:
    [DownloadManager]
    MaxQueueLength=128
    MaxConcurrent=2
    MaxRecvSpeed=-1
    (-1 meaning there was no limit on download speed)

While l was looking over code in the TouchPad's rom, I noticed that within /etc/palm/luna.conf, there were its own DownloadManager settings:
    Code:
    [DownloadManager]
    MaxQueueLength=128
    MaxConcurrent=2
    MaxRecvSpeed=65536
    I'm not sure if that means that the luna.conf file would override the ones added to downloadManager.conf but I figured it'd make sense to update the patch to just modify the settings in luna.conf.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 09/10/2011 at 11:25 AM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Not a bug per say.

The original patch was made for webOS 1.3.x, I believe. I added these settings to /etc/palm/downloadManager.conf
    Code:
    [DownloadManager]
    MaxQueueLength=128
    MaxConcurrent=2
    MaxRecvSpeed=-1
    (-1 meaning there was no limit on download speed)

While l was looking over code in the TouchPad's rom, I noticed that within /etc/palm/luna.conf, there were its own DownloadManager settings:
    Code:
    [DownloadManager]
    MaxQueueLength=128
    MaxConcurrent=2
    MaxRecvSpeed=65536
    I'm not sure if that means that the luna.conf file would override the ones added to downloadManager.conf but I figured it'd make sense to update the patch to just modify the settings in luna.conf.
    Thanks a lot for very clear explanation. I am going to give it a try and see the diff from before. Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Jason, this appears to be tcp/ip window size and not speed. 64kbytes/s limitation doesn't make sense (500kbps). Can you please clarify? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Jason, this appears to be tcp/ip window size and not speed. 64kbytes/s limitation doesn't make sense (500kbps). Can you please clarify? Thanks.
    I'm just going off what we've always assumed from the previous unthrottle patch since the webOS 1.3.x days. And the result of changing it to the -1 setting has speed up download noticeably with DrPodder, Google Maps, and other apps. The patch's thread should have more info http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...d-manager.html
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'm just going off what we've always assumed from the previous unthrottle patch since the webOS 1.3.x days. And the result of changing it to the -1 setting has speed up download noticeably with DrPodder, Google Maps, and other apps. The patch's thread should have more info http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...d-manager.html
    Thanks, Jason. I have reviewed that thread and there is no clear answer. Here is some info.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3117907

Originally Posted by palmpre06062009
    I have noticed the same thing before. I removed it from my palm pre. I still have it on my TP for now. I will run the speed test to really confirm this. I saw the slowdown when one i have one transfer going on the other won't start. For example, I was downloading a podcast on video flood hd and started a browser for something else. the browser won't load anything for a while.

I ran speed tests with and without the patch. Cleared the cache between tests (with and without patch). Didn't see any noticeable diff. This was over wifi at home. The download speed was more or less around 12Mbits/sec. So not clear what the patch states that there is limitation of 64kb/s. May be patch description meant to say TCP window size of 64kbytes (65536 bytes)?

I removed the patch and did two downloads of the same podcast. One with video flood hd and other with dr podder. The file size was 472Mbytes.

Both downloaded the podcast within 6minutes with average speed of 1.4Mbytes/sec (roughly same as the speed test of 12Mbits/sec). Again I don't know where the limitation of 64kb/sec comes in.

If anyone has more clarity regarding this, that would be great. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    All I have to say is my browsing speeds seem to be MUST FASTER on my Touchpad after installing the update today!! Thank you Jason!

Hope everyone else gets similar results.

Add: I'm now getting top ISP speeds on speedtest.net, 20/5. When I checked this last week I was only getting half.
    What this patch seemed to do for me was dramatically decrease my ping times when connecting to speedtest.net; it went from 300-400ms down to 30-40ms. I was getting 20/4 before and after the patch update (in fact, for a time I was getting 12/4 after the patch, but that's unscientific; it's back up toward 20/4 now).
    I too noticed a pick up in download speed after installing this patch, thanks Jason.
    I tested the download speed in speedtest.net both prior and after installing the patch. The speed has increased from 1.5 Mbps to 1.9Mbps. Please help. The other computers at my home connect at 25Mbps...

Any reason why it is that slow?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rvsankar View Post
    I tested the download speed in speedtest.net both prior and after installing the patch. The speed has increased from 1.5 Mbps to 1.9Mbps. Please help. The other computers at my home connect at 25Mbps...

Make sure your computers and webOS devices are connecting to the SAME speedtest.net server. I thought I had huge slowdown and it was just that my computers were connecting to a much faster server location.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0

Keep in mind the Pre's WiFi NIC is only a "b". Most modern machines have "g" cards in them. The speeds you posted directly support that.

M.
    hmm..would that mean that pre cannot connect at high speed?
    hmm..would that mean that pre cannot connect at high speed?

For the Pre, that is High Speed. Even if someone at Palm had been whapped with a Clue Stick and put a "g" NIC in these phones, you still wouldn't see the speeds you're asking about. The rest of the hardware is too damn slow, OC'ed or not.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Keep in mind the Pre's WiFi NIC is only a "b". Most modern machines have "g" cards in them. The speeds you posted directly support that.
    I think you meant "g" where you wrote "b", and "n" instead of "g"?

My Pre definitely uses 802.11g (I just double-checked my router connection to be sure), while newer devices like the TouchPad generally support 802.11n.

I can't remember the last time I saw an 802.11b-only device released - it's been years, at least...

--John
    I had called HP services earlier and they just called me back. The issue was with my router netgear wnr834bv2. It was set at 270mpbs which means draft n spec. They made me change it to 54mpbs which supports b &g. Now my TP connects @ at 23mpbs...Not sure if this is the right solution. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I had called HP services earlier and they just called me back. The issue was with my router netgear wnr834bv2. It was set at 270mpbs which means draft n spec. They made me change it to 54mpbs which supports b &g. Now my TP connects @ at 23mpbs...Not sure if this is the right solution. Any ideas?

They were correct perfect solution. lol
  18.    #18  
    I noticed that the above patch was updated today in Preware. What is not clear is what was updated. I had this patch installed before, but then ended up removing it since it didn't seem to help and at times might have actually slowed the download.

Jason, can u please indicate what was changed and was there a bug in the previous version? Thanks a lot for your all the great and thorough work. Thanks Diomark as well.
    jason, what is updated in ver .26? thanks
    capt4chris likes this.
  19. Pix
    i cannot install it on my pre3... i tried, but the installation fail, and in the ipkg log, it say:

-1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.misc-unthrottle-download-manager.postinst 2>&1
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/palm/luna.conf.rej
  20.    #20  
    jason, what is updated in ver .26? thanks
    Any info? Just trying to better understand the info related to patch. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast