1.    #1  
    Hi everyone... I'm new Touchpad and WebOS... Spent a few hours yesterday getting my TP to work with Win7 x64, but not having any luck. I'd appreciate any help!

Here's a summary of my problem:
    • When I first plug in the TP, my computer shows "Installing device driver" then it fails. Opening details show "webOS-device No driver not found".
    • In Device Manager, I see "webOS-device" with a question mark.
    • TP doesn't show anything when plugged in, not even the storage prompt.
    • I don't see any drive letter for the TP on my computer.
    • I tried WebOS Quick Install 4.2.3 and Universal Novacom Installer 1.2.1. Both show no error during the driver install.
    • I tried uninstalling in Device Manager and uninstalling the Novacom driver in Windows' Uninstall Control Panel, then re-install the driver.
    • I tried rebooting both PC and TP.
    • I tried different USB ports front/back (directly - no hub), and different cables.
    • It does work with a laptop running Windows 7 (32-bit), but I'd really like to get it working on my main computer since it's what I use most often and so I can transfer files regularly.

Thanks!
    As far as I know, the 64-bit issues are painful enough that everyone just borrows a 32-bit device to get Preware installed. Once it's installed, you probably won't need to do it again...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. I'd really like to use it for transferring video (TV) files though, would like to have storage mode working at least.
    using it usb mode should work for you. Make sure you are plugged in directly to the pc, not a hub. Also, try a different usb port, cable, etc.

simple file transfers should work.

however, if you set up your free 50gb box.net account, you can use that to transfer files around...
    One solution would be to use the free 50gb of storage you get for free from box.net. Go to the app catalog and download the FREE version of the box.net app (there is an older, phone version that costs 99 cents). Drag and drop files from any computer onto your touchpad. Also, the app called WiFi Media Sync can automatically transfer files without plugging it into your computer, whenever you're in your wifi network range.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    using it usb mode should work for you. Make sure you are plugged in directly to the pc, not a hub. Also, try a different usb port, cable, etc.

simple file transfers should work.

however, if you set up your free 50gb box.net account, you can use that to transfer files around...
    USB mode is the one where you get prompted in the TP to put it in storage mode (iirc) right? That doesn't work on this computer. I get no prompts at all from the TP when I plug it in.

Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    One solution would be to use the free 50gb of storage you get for free from box.net. Go to the app catalog and download the FREE version of the box.net app (there is an older, phone version that costs 99 cents). Drag and drop files from any computer onto your touchpad. Also, the app called WiFi Media Sync can automatically transfer files without plugging it into your computer, whenever you're in your wifi network range.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I think box.net is going to be a problem (slow especially over our DSL) when transferring video files. It's also limited to a few MB per file I believe. Most of videos are like 400MB at least.
    Strange, USB mode worked fine with me, also on 64bit Win 7 here. Can you try to make Windows 7 forget the Touchpad and then plug it in and see if it tries to install the drivers again? Though sorry I forgot how to make Windows forget devices, just got a new PC after years of Mac usage and forgot many of the Windows tricks.

As for the Novacom driver for Prepare installation, I followed the instructions here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...er-method.html
    I know it's outdated but tried it anyways since my Java installation somehow corrupt itself and I couldn't get any Java application to run (Jason's new Novacom installer, and webOS-Quick Install are all Java).
    The thing that's outdated is in step 6, where "installumdf.08B8BE2B_9174_49D1_84B0_40324FD7DE34" should be "installumdfxp.08B8BE2B_9174_49D1_84B0_40324FD7DE34".
    After installing the Novacom driver, I used the standalone Preware installer (the .exe file), connected my Touchpad (which is already in developer mode of course), and after that it's all nice now.

Best of luck!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    Strange, USB mode worked fine with me, also on 64bit Win 7 here. Can you try to make Windows 7 forget the Touchpad and then plug it in and see if it tries to install the drivers again? Though sorry I forgot how to make Windows forget devices, just got a new PC after years of Mac usage and forgot many of the Windows tricks.

As for the Novacom driver for Prepare installation, I followed the instructions here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...er-method.html
    I know it's outdated but tried it anyways since my Java installation somehow corrupt itself and I couldn't get any Java application to run (Jason's new Novacom installer, and webOS-Quick Install are all Java).
    The thing that's outdated is in step 6, where "installumdf.08B8BE2B_9174_49D1_84B0_40324FD7DE34" should be "installumdfxp.08B8BE2B_9174_49D1_84B0_40324FD7DE34".
    After installing the Novacom driver, I used the standalone Preware installer (the .exe file), connected my Touchpad (which is already in developer mode of course), and after that it's all nice now.

Best of luck!
    Not sure if it's the right way to "forget", but I did try uninstalling "WebOS-device" in Device Manager and the Novacom driver from the Control Panel. After I do that and plugin my TP, I get the "Installing device..." popup again from Windows, but again it fails eventually.

I tried the orca-edit thing just now. I used "webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar" since the links in the page didn't work anymore, deleted the line, ran the new NovacomInstaller_x64.msi, seems to have installed, but same result... No driver found.
  9.    #9  
    Hmm... I'm thought I replied above (uninstalled drivers & orca-edit = not working), but the post is gone.

But, anyway: I turned off Developer Mode, plugged it in, this time I got prompted for storage, PC installed the drivers, and transferring works! It still doesn't work if I flip it back to Developer Mode, so no Quick Install stuff, but at least I can save files now.

Thanks everyone!
    Make sure your phone is not in developer mode. I found out the hard way

Turned it off and USB came up real quick.