webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > Now In Development: Internalz HD
Now In Development: Internalz HD
Like Tree26Likes

Old 07/08/2011, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

So, as some may have noticed from my Twitter posts, I've now sent off ComicShelf HD for approval for the App Catalog.

Next up for my primary focus is Internalz HD. As this is a complete rewrite from Mojo, I'm designing this HD version from the ground-up for a large-screen device.

I don't wanna spoil too much, but there are a few details I'd like to share

I want 2 layouts you can toggle between: list layout and grid layouts. For grid layout, I'm thinking of having the rows in the format [name][size][type][last-modified-date]. As for grid layout, here's a quick previews of something I've been working on:

Both layouts will support selecting multiple files. And as you can tell from the image, selecting a file/folder in the grid layout will expand the name to full length so it's no truncated

However, I have 2 topics I'd really like people's input on.

First, I'm tempted to maybe have it so that if you tap an already-selected file/folder it'll turn into an editable text box for quick renaming, similar to Windows Explorer. I haven't investigated how to do it it yet, but it's something that should be fine implement. But do you think it'd be worth the extra time to add? Would it be too easy to accidentally edit filenames? Or should I leave it at only-selecting, and leave renaming for only in the Info screen?

Second is the folder-chooser for when you move/copy a file or folder. In Internalz, it's that tree-structure. However I'm unsure what would be best for Internalz HD. Maybe just a popup window with the old tree-structure? Or maybe a popup with a traversable list of folders to go though and choose? I have no idea what would be best given the TouchPad size and desire for an easy convenient solution that will be easy for users to repeatedly use

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 07/08/2011 at 11:55 PM.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by milominderbinder, pigsflew, pre101 and 1 others like this.
Old 07/09/2011, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Would love to help beta test this if you need any testers!
Volcom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Regarding the first question, if you do have the 2nd click initiate an editable text box, will a third tap be required for opening up the file info?

@2nd question, Could you implement a Clipboard sliding panel that only shows up when text and files are copied (just an edge of the panel initially shows. Like in StyleMatters)? And then another button to open up a two-panel folder view which will allow dragging and dropping from the other panel and the Clipboard panel?
gollyzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
Would love to help beta test this if you need any testers!
I'll keep it mind

Back to the topic, I really do need opinions on the 2 things mentioned in the first post. The more input from you guys the better

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Old 07/09/2011, 01:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Echoing gollyzilla a bit, a 2 pane display would be great with different directories in each. Drag & drop would be nice, but action buttons (copy, move, rename, etc) would be OK. If the buttons were user assignable, that'd be even better. Something like Directory Opus or X-tree.

Multiselect is essential. I don't know how that would work with drag & drop so the action buttons might be necessary.

Archive support would be great with integrating your archive app. 2 pane helps here too. Archive file in one pane, destination in other pane. Option to extract to that directory or create new container directory. Reverse would be nice too - select multiple files & create archive.

About second tap funstionality. First idea - a tap & hold pop-up menu with copy, move, rename, delete, share, add / remove from archive, open, open with, etc. Could also use tap & hold on empty space (or action buttons) to do things like create folder or file.

Second idea - first tap selects. If second tap is on name, rename. If second tap is on icon, do other action.

How do you think you'll implement multi-select? Check boxes, button to enter select mode, some kind of multi-tap ala meta-tap? Something else?

A nice feature for multi-select would be multi-rename.

Hope some of this is useful.
govotsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

A better way to do the quick renaming is to make it so if you double tap it it will rename. This way it won't be to easy to mistakenly rename a file. Then for the standard file actions you tap and hold for the menu to pop up. And yes, this is more than worth while adding in.
Liked by cobrakon likes this.
Old 07/09/2011, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

A really good idea for the layout of the app is to make it so you have a email type bars were it goes further into the folders each pane. And then you should also have the ability to have two separate panes that hold 2 completely separate directories so you can drag and drop the files from one to the other. (I navigate to a knew folder then open a side bar and navigate to another and drag and drop.
Old 07/09/2011, 01:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Legend

Just wanna clarify a few other details. A single tap will select. A quick double-tap will open the file/folder. I was thinking of the info/move/copy/delete options in a bottom toolbar (with info disabling on multiple file selection).

As for a clipboard sliding panel, that's actually a really neat idea, but I'm sure sure how it could fit. My original idea was to have favouites in a panel on left, file browser in center panel, and info screen/imageviewer/text editor on left panel (that would appear visible as needed). So such a clipboard area would probably conflict with any open image files and text files. One workaround could be to have the the clipboard area be a pseudo-panel at the bottom of the screen, replacing the toolbar and its buttons (which should be disabled when a clipboard area is open anyway). Another alternative could be to have the left favourites panel have the bottom half of the pane become the clipboard area, with the toolbar turning confirm/cancel" buttons.

Though of course much is still uncoded, so the layout can be altered as needed in this planning stage. The imageview/text editor could be a popup for example, or alternatively always open up in new cards. The file/folder info screen, for example, may be better suited as a popup screen. And of course, there's the original idea of there being a folder-chooser popup (perhaps with a list of the favourites opposite to it, to choose from your favourite locations easily).

As for drag-and-drop, that's something I'd like to aim for, but might be a bit much, at least for v1.0.

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 07/09/2011 at 02:05 AM.
Liked by milominderbinder and pre101 like this.
Thanked by milominderbinder, pre101
Old 07/09/2011, 02:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

The way this sounds, this is going to be a Homebrew rather than App Catalog app? Sounds like it'll have features HP won't allow in the catalog. Is that right or are you planning a dual release like now with a purchsed, feature limited catalog version & a donation supported full feature homebrew app?
Old 07/09/2011, 02:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
The way this sounds, this is going to be a Homebrew rather than App Catalog app? Sounds like it'll have features HP won't allow in the catalog. Is that right or are you planning a dual release like now with a purchsed, feature limited catalog version & a donation supported full feature homebrew app?
It'll be a paid App Catalog app. Homebrew features like full-device access, patching and .ipk installing will be done via FileMgr, if Internalz HD detects FileMgr as installed. If FileMgr is not detected, the homebrew features will be hidden.

Liked by amrcc, WoodWulf, bluerq and 1 others like this.
Old 07/09/2011, 05:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
It'll be a paid App Catalog app. Homebrew features like full-device access, patching and .ipk installing will be done via FileMgr, if Internalz HD detects FileMgr as installed. If FileMgr is not detected, the homebrew features will be hidden.
Sneaky That's a real smart way to add functionality. It's always educational when you share your thinking. Thanks.
Old 07/09/2011, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
A really good idea for the layout of the app is to make it so you have a email type bars were it goes further into the folders each pane. And then you should also have the ability to have two separate panes that hold 2 completely separate directories so you can drag and drop the files from one to the other. (I navigate to a knew folder then open a side bar and navigate to another and drag and drop.
I like this. ^^ sliding panes as you drill down would be great navigation for Enyo. Then if you click on an img or txt file, a "viewer" pane could slide in to allow you to swipe through the pics\docs etc.

Sounds awesome Jason. This IS a H-U-G-E differentiator for webOS since iOS cannot see it's own file system. HP needs to highlight this app in Pivot as soon as it's ready. :-)

why aren't people buying the verizon iphone4
comscore-android-passes-ios-and-rim-for-u-s-smartphone-subscriber-share/
http://www.itproportal.com/2011/07/2...-market-share/
ipad-2-think-twice-about-buying/
cobrakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Just wanna clarify a few other details. A single tap will select. A quick double-tap will open the file/folder. I was thinking of the info/move/copy/delete options in a bottom toolbar (with info disabling on multiple file selection).

As for a clipboard sliding panel, that's actually a really neat idea, but I'm sure sure how it could fit. My original idea was to have favouites in a panel on left, file browser in center panel, and info screen/imageviewer/text editor on left panel (that would appear visible as needed). So such a clipboard area would probably conflict with any open image files and text files. One workaround could be to have the the clipboard area be a pseudo-panel at the bottom of the screen, replacing the toolbar and its buttons (which should be disabled when a clipboard area is open anyway). Another alternative could be to have the left favourites panel have the bottom half of the pane become the clipboard area, with the toolbar turning confirm/cancel" buttons.

Though of course much is still uncoded, so the layout can be altered as needed in this planning stage. The imageview/text editor could be a popup for example, or alternatively always open up in new cards. The file/folder info screen, for example, may be better suited as a popup screen. And of course, there's the original idea of there being a folder-chooser popup (perhaps with a list of the favourites opposite to it, to choose from your favourite locations easily).

As for drag-and-drop, that's something I'd like to aim for, but might be a bit much, at least for v1.0.
I would much rather have this than favorites. I think that you should do a major over hall of the UI and make it have some killer features that are in desktop PCs, like drag drop. Internalz should have one main window, were the file viewer is, and then have two drawers on the sides. You need to have something that will replace the old hectic way of copy paste. Whether you have a secondary file viewer than you navigate to or you have a empty drawer that you can drop files in and cache there until you navigate to the other folder to drop them there. You don't need to do these exactly but you need some killer feature to make it as good or better than the way a traditional PC handles files.
Old 07/09/2011, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

I love Internalz. Its one of my favorite apps. I think renaming is easy enough as it is that it may not be worth the hassle. I like the pop-up window idea for moving files. I'm totally gonna buy a touchpad now!
jonas916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 11:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Awesome to see you already busy on Internalz HD!!!

Although I know it's more of a webOS feature than something you should build with Internalz, let alone you asked about to get input on, I would soooo love to be able to access my network (samba) shares from my Touchpad (if I eventually have one), or at least some FTP access.

Has webosinternals actually recently been working on (better) samba support in webOS?
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
I like this. ^^ sliding panes as you drill down would be great navigation for Enyo. Then if you click on an img or txt file, a "viewer" pane could slide in to allow you to swipe through the pics\docs etc
Sliding panes look nice, as I've seen from the Box.net app, but it could prove problematic in several areas and I'm not too big of a fan of that kind folder traversal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
Has webosinternals actually recently been working on (better) samba support in webOS?
No idea, I'm not part of webosinternals.

Anyone know how iFiles for the iPad handles moving/copying?

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 07/09/2011 at 12:40 PM.
Thanked By: spud101
Old 07/09/2011, 12:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

I think the tap/double tap sill be fine for folders and files.

For the other item, a pop-up list of folders would well for me.

thanks!!
jeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 12:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Jason, regarding the file rename, how about a tap + long hold (similar to how links are handled in the browser)?
chodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 12:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
Jason, regarding the file rename, how about a tap + long hold (similar to how links are handled in the browser)?
Tap and hold on a selected file or in general?

Old 07/09/2011, 12:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

i would keep the buttons off the bottom or at least not in the middle ! I find that swiping up from the bottom i hit a lot of buttons by misstake. look at hp
app cat button along the whole bottom. iam all way swiping up and ending up some were else.
john mcconnell is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0