Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by john mcconnell View Post
    i would keep the buttons off the bottom or at least not in the middle ! I find that swiping up from the bottom i hit a lot of buttons by misstake. look at hp
    app cat button along the whole bottom. iam all way swiping up and ending up some were else.
    well the info/move/copy/delete buttons would only be there when at least 1 file/folder is selected, so that should help, heh
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I love the toolbar that disappears idea a lot. I would prefer an approach for rename that combines your idea with one of the above
    first tap selects (opens bottom bar)
    Second quick tap opens file
    in lieu of a second tap if a user tap+holds rename happens
    My initial thoughts when seeing the screenshot is that a folder with several similar named files or folders would look rather confusing as to which is the one I’d be after. There could be a lot of hit and miss tapping to find it.

Perhaps that could be made into a game where one file is a copy of another and we need to find it with as few taps as possible. 8o)

Regarding the tap to rename thing, I’m not very biased on what would work best at this point but I’m very clear that the explorer way do not work well for many “regular” people.
    After teaching for years I’ve seen so many people ending in the rename folder/file mode without having a clue why and how to deal with it.
    Those might not be the demographics of Internalz at all, but hints to that it needs to be somewhat intuitive to be useful and it must not function in such manner that it easily gets invoked on accident.

When it comes to copying or moving files and folders around, I kind of saw the Enyo sliding panels being a natural choice. You could have one tree in the left-most panel, and the files in the main.
    When copy or move is invoked a third panel to the right could house an additional tree as target look-up. Those tree-panes should of course offer easy access to favorite folders as well. Additional usage, if the right-most panel is present “all the time” anyway, would to use it for content viewing when a single file is marked.

I see govotsos kind of beat me to expressing the thought, but anyway I feel three panes would work quite well; Current location, content of it and the potential target location. Adding his drag and drop suggestion as well, would make the whole thing quite efficient to use.
    Pop-ups with this much screen real estate just feels somewhat wrong.

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    I think a dual pane system with a top/bottom row of copy/cut/rename etc. would be a good idea.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I think a dual pane system with a top/bottom row of copy/cut/rename etc. would be a good idea.
    I'd like to avoid a 2-filepane system as that'd be too close to copying the Gemini File Manager app already available for webOS. That app's dev is a nice guy and while Internalz HD will be a competitor, I want to be an honorable competitor.

I'm working on some quick sketches of some prospective designs I'm thinking and will post em here soon.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

spud101 likes this.
  6.    #26  
    So thanks a recommendation by @danrod8 on twitter, I used Balsamiq wireframe software and was able to quickly make these mockups for Internalz HD.

After a lot of thinking and listening to all your input, I've come up with these few layout ideas that should help satisfy users, be feasible given my school schedule, and offer room for expandability.

Keep in mind, in all these sketches, they placeholders may be buttons, text, etc.. (click the thumbnail for the full-size mockup)

So I've got these 2 possibilities for the general layout:

In the first, the info/move/copy/delete is on the bottom bar, whereas in the second, it's in a separate extra area. In both cases, keep in mind you'll be able to switch between grid icon view and list view (I just used grid icon style for demonstration purposes). As well, the Info/move/Copy/Delete buttons will only be visible when at least 1 item is selected (with Info disabling when more than one item is selected).

Single-tap selects an item, quick double-tap opens an item, and tap-and-hold makes the filename editable to rename. Tap any empty part of the file browser pane to deselect all selected items (as is the norm in most desktop file browsers).

And then for the text editor/imageviewer, here's this layout idea which I really like:

And then on the topic of moving/copying files and folders, here's the 2 layouts I've narrowed the options down to:

The first option is a popup that will let you quickly choose the folder to move/copy from the favourites or the standard filesystem tree of the device. This is a popup option with some as it let you see all the folder levels quickly with few taps and all in a single screen.

With the second option, the files/folder selected to be moved get listed in the bottom bar and the info/move/copy/delete buttons are replaced by a "move here" button and a cancel button. The idea is that once chosen to move files/folders, you then go to where you want to move them to (either manually or via the left pane's shortcuts) and confirm the move.

So, yea, which of the 2 move/copy options do you guys like? How do ya like the other layout mockups?

I think the info/move/copy/delete options should be in the bottom bar to adhere to the default Enyo look and you should go with the pop-out move/copy option.
    looks good
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I think the info/move/copy/delete options should be in the bottom bar to adhere to the default Enyo look and you should go with the pop-out move/copy option.
    I agree. The final move/copy alternative is not very intuitive. I had to rely on the explanation to understand it. The pop up was clear instantly.
  10.    #30  
    Oh, an if you guys were wondering why I wanted a filesystem tree below the favourites in the left tab, it's not only for quick navigation, but in the future, i might be able to expand it for drag and drop. Would be pretty neat to be able to drag a selection of files/folders from the center view over to a folder entry on the left pane to move them to that location. Won't be there for v1.0, but definitely an idea I'd like to implement for the future

USB-drive? Do you know something we don't? Does the port have host capabilities or not?

Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    This. Unified experience
    owall likes this.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    USB-drive? Do you know something we don't? Does the port have host capabilities or not?
    Lol, no host capabilities. That's just what most devs call /media/internal/. I may rename it to "Internal Storage" for Internalz HD.

Haha, kay Thx for clearing that up
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I too vote pop up for move copy.
    Good layouts. I like the info/move/copy/delete buttons on the bottom bar, it looks cleaner. I also agree with the others that having a popup for the move/copy would be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Good layouts. I like the info/move/copy/delete buttons on the bottom bar, it looks cleaner. I also agree with the others that having a popup for the move/copy would be better.
    + 1

just like to keep a spot clear for the up swipe! group together in the middle bottom bar looks better and give more working space!
    There's no good reason to take screen real estate from the folder and file list when the pane has the space available. In general that gives a cleaner look as well, and conforms to how many applications do it already.

As for the two shown alternatives for copying or moving, the pop-up is definitely preferable, although the third alternative I mentioned could work equally well — or better …

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I scanned this note and did not see any reference to "touch and hold" option to display info,copy,move,delete.
    Multiple selection is also and interesting option as well.

I do like the popup widow for selecting to where you are moving. Not so interested in drag and drop. More chance of dropping to the wrong folder.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    No time to read all posts, so excuse me if mentioned before. I love the 3 pane design. Can't you use this for everything? So any file info (not just pictures preview) in the 3rd pane. All with these webOS 3 draggable panes?

And BTW, this thread claims that mounting samba shares should work out of the box from within webOS. So still very high on my want list for a file management tool
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rk-drives.html
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    No time to read all posts, so excuse me if mentioned before. I love the 3 pane design. Can't you use this for everything? So any file info (not just pictures preview) in the 3rd pane. All with these webOS 3 draggable panes?

And BTW, this thread claims that mounting samba shares should work out of the box from within webOS. So still very high on my want list for a file management tool
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rk-drives.html
    hmm, interesting idea about the Samba shares. Chances are it won't make it into v1.0, but I'll try so it could make it into v1.1

spud101, irwinr12 and Rnp like this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast