webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > ComicShelf HD: Now in the App Catalog!
ComicShelf HD: Now in the App Catalog!
Like Tree106Likes

Old 07/06/2011, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

I mentioned recently in my PreCentral DevSpotlight interview that I'm working on TouchPad apps, including ComicShelf HD. Well, due to various reasons, it looks like ComicShelf HD is actually going to be my first Enyo rewrite to be released for TouchPad users!

Recently I've been making some good progress and wanted to share this teaser with you guys.

No ETA. I don't like setting specific dates; it'll be released once it's complete and stable enough to my satisfaction

But given the speed of the progress, a first beta should be available for my beta tester group within the next 24-48 hours

EDIT: As of July 14th, ComicShelf HD is now in the App Catalog!

http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...g.comicshelfhd

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 07/14/2011 at 09:51 AM.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, HardBeatZ, runukraine and 7 others like this.
Old 07/06/2011, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just curious, any chance at all it'll be a single purchase for both Enyo and Mojo versions, or are they most likely going to be separate?
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2011, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

looks nice jason !!
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2011, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rnp

Great! I'm waiting for!

Best Regards...
Rnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2011, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Looks great!
draztikrhymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2011, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Just curious, any chance at all it'll be a single purchase for both Enyo and Mojo versions, or are they most likely going to be separate?
The Mojo version will likely continue into Enyo once the Pre3 and other devices get Enyo. The HD version, while Enyo, is separate; designed and intended for tablets (and large-screen-devices) specifically. Different UI and potentially different user experience.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Thanked By: jhoff80
Old 07/07/2011, 03:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Will it support .cbr files?
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2011, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
Will it support .cbr files?
Yep. Just like how the current non-HD release supports both cbr and cbz, so will the HD release

Liked by spud101 likes this.
Thanked by spud101, Typo Lad
Old 07/07/2011, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

You should know, this is the app I'm waiting for before I get a Touchpad. I mock old comics on a blog and need a CBR reader. For now, I'm "stuck" with an iPad2.

Keep up the awesome work.
Typo Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2011, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Is this going to support reading files off a dropbox account or box.net?
nytemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2011, 01:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytemyst View Post
Is this going to support reading files off a dropbox account or box.net?
Nope, just locally stored files.

And just a heads-up, ComicShelf HD was submitted to the App Catalog on last Friday. So hopefully we'll be seeing it live soon.

Liked by minhaferzz likes this.
Thanked By: minhaferzz
Old 07/14/2011, 07:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

I just installed it. Just a nit - I moved a # of my cbr files into the media/internal/comics folder, and I needed a full restart for CSHD to find the files. Not a big deal, cause otherwise, its awesome.
poploser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2011, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Legend

First off, woot! ComicShelf HD is now in the App Catalog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poploser View Post
I just installed it. Just a nit - I moved a # of my cbr files into the media/internal/comics folder, and I needed a full restart for CSHD to find the files. Not a big deal, cause otherwise, its awesome.
Unfortunately there seems to be some USB Mode issues that multiple people with TouchPads have reported (both to me and to Palm). In essence, in some cases, on ejecting from USB Mode, /media/internal/ doesn't remount properly so the new files are detectable via webOS js services like the one I made fore ComicShelf HD.

Best way to try to avoid the issue is to always remember to eject the USB drive via computer before unplugging the USB.

If you ever do encounter this issue, a quick way to fix the issue is restarting the device, as that remounts /media/internal/ at boot, I've been told, and that's why after a restart, the files are once again properly detected.

If you do have this issue, and did eject the usb on the computer before unplugging the USB, please contact me at support [at] canuckcoding [dot] ca as I would like to form a list of people who experienced the issue.

Old 07/14/2011, 05:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Great app. I have a couple of feature requests:

1. remember last page opened in a file
2. "jump to page" functionality (type in the page I want) because I have CBZ files with 100+ pages and scrolling through the page selector is tough
nemeth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2011, 07:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ever going to have support for box.net?
Smubeht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2011, 07:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemeth88 View Post

2. "jump to page" functionality (type in the page I want) because I have CBZ files with 100+ pages and scrolling through the page selector is tough
I'll add "mark as read" for folders or files (unless thats in there and I can't find it).
poploser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2011, 09:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
Ever going to have support for box.net?
probably not, as you'd still need to locally download a .cbr or .cbz file before loading one up in ComicShelf HD. Should be able to download it via the box.net app anyway, then open it in ComicShelf HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemeth88 View Post

#1 is already in-the-works for v1.1 and an optional setting

In addition, for v1.1, I hope to have a grid-style file-chooser using thumbnails of the first page. Though don't expect v1/1 until after Internalz HD debuts

Old 07/15/2011, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Jason, I'm interested in this app and would love to bring some of my all time favorite comic books to my Touchpad. Can you recommend a website where I can purchase/download digital comic books files?
cabbonizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2011, 10:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbonizio View Post
Jason, I'm interested in this app and would love to bring some of my all time favorite comic books to my Touchpad. Can you recommend a website where I can purchase/download digital comic books files?
Hmm, not too sure. I think Marvel has an online flash-based portal for buying/viewing comics.

Old 07/15/2011, 07:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Hmm, not too sure. I think Marvel has an online flash-based portal for buying/viewing comics.
Hi Jason, after a few tries I was able to get a cbz file to successfully launch using your app (which I recently purchased). The app's very well done and enjoyed flipping through the pages on my TP. I do have the issue where I have to restart my device in order for the comic book files to be recognized by the app. If there's any information you would like me to send to you, let me know. Thanks a lot and time to go back to reading some classics!

I found a way to search for cbr|cbz files:

Type in the Google search engine...
site:mediafire.com cbr|cbz "<Comic name here>"
i.e. site:mediafire.com cbr|cbz "Spawn Batman"
cabbonizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by biggnaa20 likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0