Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 801
Like Tree106Likes
  1. jedinat's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by sherlockcombs View Post
    While most of my comics work perfectly well, I have a certain comic that every issue has double the amount of pages it should and the first half are all blank. For instance, one comic has 26, it shows up as 52 pages, and the first 26 are blank. When I look at it on my computer, it works fine. I unzipped the file on my computer and there are only 26 jpegs in the cbz.

    I had originally exported the comic from PDF to JPEG then created the CBZ myself.

    Have you heard of anything like this happening? It's not really a big deal, just confusing.
    That's happened to me with other manga/comic viewing programs. I *think* it's an issue with the archive. Try extracting it and making the archive with another program... say, 7-Zip.
  2. #102  
    I've got this "first half blank" bug too. Self rolled .cbz files using OSX 10.7's built in archiver. I'll give a different file compression tool a go.
    One thing I think it could be is the ._DSSTORE file, or whatever it's called, that's created by the finder?

    Thank you for the app, BTW. It's the only thing I've paid for so far, and worth every penny. Specially if you can get round to adding bookmarks, thumbnails (maybe?) and chapter creation, and whatever else you can think of and have time for!

    Edit: Well I used a different compression application on my mac, and the trio of archives I was testing with now work perfectly. So I went back and did one of them in lots of permutations and... I can't get it to repeat the previous behaviour!
    Only thing that's changed is that I did the Openoffice HD and PDF reader updates, but would that affect anything?
    Last edited by johnbob; 08/29/2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: More info
  3. reil's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbob View Post
    I've got this "first half blank" bug too. Self rolled .cbz files using OSX 10.7's built in archiver. I'll give a different file compression tool a go.
    One thing I think it could be is the ._DSSTORE file, or whatever it's called, that's created by the finder?

    Thank you for the app, BTW. It's the only thing I've paid for so far, and worth every penny. Specially if you can get round to adding bookmarks, thumbnails (maybe?) and chapter creation, and whatever else you can think of and have time for!

    Edit: Well I used a different compression application on my mac, and the trio of archives I was testing with now work perfectly. So I went back and did one of them in lots of permutations and... I can't get it to repeat the previous behaviour!
    Only thing that's changed is that I did the Openoffice HD and PDF reader updates, but would that affect anything?
    if you're using a mac, the archive utility creates metadata in the archive that duplicate the filename of the other files with a ._ in front under a __MACOSX dir. i had a similar problem with other readers until i switched archivers to something like Keka which can prevent the adding of metadata.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by reil View Post
    if you're using a mac, the archive utility creates metadata in the archive that duplicate the filename of the other files with a ._ in front under a __MACOSX dir. i had a similar problem with other readers until i switched archivers to something like Keka which can prevent the adding of metadata.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to ignore those files in the next update
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  5. reil's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to ignore those files in the next update
    imo, for you to write a hack workaround to a stupid apple decision isn't worth it and most other comic readers just mess up anyway so its not like zip files are useful across platforms. users should make clean archives, there are plenty of solutions if he or she googles __MACOSX.

    though the reason this bothered me enough to comment may just come from my frustration at fighting hacks at work all the time.
  6. soper's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #106  
    Thanks for the great App! I have encountered a bug or two and also have some requests:

    1. Often when I select a folder full of files it opens with nothing inside. I then rotate the Touchpad and once the screen adjusts the files suddenly appear. ???

    2. Several of my cbr/cbz files won't load. In some cases I've found it was due to me relabeling rar files as cbr files in Mac OS. Is there an archiving program you can recommend for creating compatible cbr/cbz files?

    3. Can you enable file/folder deleting in the app?

    4. Can you enable continuous reading for sequential files (like issue 1 ends and I can flip the page and go into issue 2, thus avoiding returning to the menu)?

    Thanks again, this app has made my Touchpad!
  7. #107  
    Cmon brah, Add an engine to read or change name from rar to cbr

    edit- In the mean time you can change the filenames in bulk by using this renaming utility

    Download - Bulk Rename Utility

    change~
    rar to cbr
    zip to cbz

    I did a little tutorial here

    more resolution
    http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/117/19482987.jpg

    1.On extensions change it to fixed and write cbr/cbz
    2.Highlight your files
    3.click rename
    4.?????
    5.Profit
    Last edited by donate; 08/30/2011 at 01:04 PM.
  8. #108  
    I got a Touchpad in the fire sale and am loving this app. My only gripe about it is having to go back to the file menu to pick the next comic I want to read. I'd like it to just go to the next comic in the directory when I'm done with an issue. Maybe there's an option to do this already and I'm just missing it. Aside from this, it's a beautiful app and very well written. Opening the last read comic would be great as well. I know the reader I'm using on Android can do this though this may be a limitation of WebOS.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by reil View Post
    if you're using a mac, the archive utility creates metadata in the archive that duplicate the filename of the other files with a ._ in front under a __MACOSX dir. i had a similar problem with other readers until i switched archivers to something like Keka which can prevent the adding of metadata.
    That sounds about right. I had spotted those files along the way, but not been able to find them again.

    I'm using Keka now to archive things, and they're working perfectly... Also some archives are about half the size, which is a nice bonus.
    A workaround to ignore files beginning with a '.' would be good to see, just for the sake of simplicity at the user end. I'm loving the TP, but there's a whole boat load of little things which average users simply won't know about so they're not getting the best out of it. Having to avoid OSX's built in archiver for Comicshelf would be one of them.
  10. reil's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbob View Post
    That sounds about right. I had spotted those files along the way, but not been able to find them again.

    I'm using Keka now to archive things, and they're working perfectly... Also some archives are about half the size, which is a nice bonus.
    A workaround to ignore files beginning with a '.' would be good to see, just for the sake of simplicity at the user end. I'm loving the TP, but there's a whole boat load of little things which average users simply won't know about so they're not getting the best out of it. Having to avoid OSX's built in archiver for Comicshelf would be one of them.
    i don't think a workaround is a great idea for the developer. using the archive utility, those comic books are not usable with other readers. for example, on a mac, i use Xee to read comics, which also displays the blank pages if the metadata is present. I would be surprised if there were windows comic book readers (CDisplay, ComicRack, etc) that would display these properly. i would want my cbz to be as portable as possible.

    instead i created an automator service that executes some perl script i wrote that uses keka to compress and rename the file to cbz. this gets added to the context menu and is just as easy to use clicking compress. it also allows for more customization, like renaming cbz->zip, etc.
  11. #111  
    I LOVE this app. Its made my tp worth every penny to me. For some comics when I try to set a page as my background I get an error that says file does not exist.... Any reason why this happens? Some of my other comics allow me to set a wallpaper fine... Thanks
  12. #112  
    Does the webOS SDK allow for a true full screen mode where the app takes over the entire screen, including the menu bar? It would be nice to use those extra pixels to display comic pages.
  13. #113  
    This app is one of the main reasons that I bought the TouchPad in the first place, and I'm definitely loving it so far!

    Add me to the list of people who would like a "go to the previous/next comic in the directory" function.
  14. #114  
    Thanks Jason. The app showed up in our store last weekend. Happily downloaded and working fine.
  15. #115  
    I love this app! This is one of the reasons why I own a TouchPad in the first place.

    However, do you think in future updates, you could include bookmarking as a feature? I sometimes forget where I leave off in certain comics as I jump around issues and it would be a very handy feature. Also, not too big of an issue, but sometimes the directory does not show up, so perhaps include a file explorer built into the program?
  16. #116  
    One other feature that, while not imperative, might be nice: I'd love it if I could flip pages by tapping the edges of the screen, rather than swiping. Maybe just the left and right 10-15% of the screen? It's a small thing, but it would let me keep reading without readjusting my grip.

    But to be sure, I'll continue to be entirely happy with ComicShelf HD whether it gets this feature or not. Thanks again, Jason!
  17. #117  
    I'll second the above option, tap functionality would be nice as it tends to require quite a "pull" on some double panels.

    Another function that would be really great (and it's been touched upon already) is if the page filled the screen when viewed in landscape form, with the page being scrollable to read to the bottom. This would be a REALLY good feature. Also, in portrait view it would be good to have a "fit width" option as some comics have slight dead space at the sides when in this mode. Basically this FIT WIDTH option would fix view problems in both the portrait and landscape views, though I guess in Portrait you'd technically want "fit width & height" whereas in the landscape view we'd have the scrolling I've mentioned already.

    As has also been asked before, is it possible to have the program "over" the touchpad bar etc so the screen is totally filled with the image ? That would be cool, too, all available space is worthwhile and plus it's better for getting totally zoned in if there's no distractions :-)

    Other than that, thanks a lot for giving me a reason to invest in the touchpad, the only thing I wanted it as was a good comic reader and your program is the best I've used. I might tie some balloons to the touchpad so it's not so heavy to read in bed, though.

    Keep on keepin' on \m/
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by reil View Post
    i don't think a workaround is a great idea for the developer. using the archive utility, those comic books are not usable with other readers. for example, on a mac, i use Xee to read comics, which also displays the blank pages if the metadata is present. I would be surprised if there were windows comic book readers (CDisplay, ComicRack, etc) that would display these properly. i would want my cbz to be as portable as possible.
    FFView on mac ignores those files, as does a comic viewer called Meeeep on iOS. Those are the only two I have any real experience with, but I just grabbed ComicReaderPro for Windows, and that was equally happy to ignore the extra files.

    It's also not that big a workaround. Ignoring files that satisfy the specific set of criteria that OSX's compression tool throws up is more user friendly than simply showing blank pages, or throwing an error at people. The majority of the world isn't particularly knowledgeable with these kinds of things, and would just assume that the app isn't working properly and leave angry reviews on the store.
  19. #119  
    This is by far my most-used app on my Touchpad, I love it. Looking forward to an update to see if we get "fit to width!"
  20.    #120  
    Wanted to pass along some news on current plans. WOSQI Homebrew Guide app will be released in the next day or two.

    Originally, after that I had planned to continue work on Internalz HD. However, due to public demand and the success of ComicShelf HD, I will work simultaneously on the ComicShelf HD update (rather then leaving it until after).

    I'll keep you guys updated as news happens
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    jedinat likes this.

Posting Permissions