webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > ComicShelf HD: Now in the App Catalog!
ComicShelf HD: Now in the App Catalog!
Like Tree106Likes

Old 08/02/2012, 02:28 AM   #781 (permalink)

Hey everybody,

I am having the same issue as one of the previous posters. I've been using Comicshelf HD for quite a while and I was enjoying it. It was working perfectly then suddenly last week from out of nowhere I've been getting the "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running" error message. It happens when I both flip through trying to read a comic or if I just start Comicshelf HD and let it sit idle. Any help would be appreciated. If any further information is required please let me know.

Thanks in advance
ShepardRahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:36 AM   #782 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepardRahl View Post
Hey everybody,

I am having the same issue as one of the previous posters. I've been using Comicshelf HD for quite a while and I was enjoying it. It was working perfectly then suddenly last week from out of nowhere I've been getting the "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running" error message. It happens when I both flip through trying to read a comic or if I just start Comicshelf HD and let it sit idle. Any help would be appreciated. If any further information is required please let me know.

Thanks in advance
I get this problem too sometimes but if I close the comic and reopen it, the problem usually self corrects. Also have you updated the program? I know a few versions back, this was a more common problem, especially with larger files, 100+ pages, that Jason fixed in later versions. The only other thing I can suggest is extract or test the file to see if it is corrupt. A couple of times I realized I had a corrupt file, which was why comicshelf was giving me an error.

Last edited by 3FLi; 08/02/2012 at 11:43 AM.
3FLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:44 AM   #783 (permalink)

Random question but, are there any plans for Jason to port this app over to android or apple? Its a great app.
3FLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 05:47 PM   #784 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FLi View Post
Random question but, are there any plans for Jason to port this app over to android or apple? Its a great app.
Heh....Jason's moved on to bigger and better things in an official capacity with WebOS. I don't think he has plans of any kind for this app any time soon.
Weidbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 12:44 PM   #785 (permalink)

I bought the app as soon as I received the TP last month, and love it. FAR better rendering than any of the patched versions of the Adobe Reader app. But I have numerous magazines and comics that span multiple pages (double- and triple-truck). Does the CS HD allow for continuous page viewing and I just haven't seen the setting, or perfected the technique? That, in addition to thumbnail views of each page, would make the use of this app perfect.

db

EDIT: I solved my own problem...stitch the panels together in Photoshop, set the TP to Fit-to-width and turn on the Rotation Lock. Perfect panning/scrolling of those specific "panoramas" without the need to zoom in to fill the screen.

Last edited by tavery80; 08/03/2012 at 02:34 PM.
tavery80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2012, 08:02 PM   #786 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FLi View Post
I get this problem too sometimes but if I close the comic and reopen it, the problem usually self corrects. Also have you updated the program? I know a few versions back, this was a more common problem, especially with larger files, 100+ pages, that Jason fixed in later versions. The only other thing I can suggest is extract or test the file to see if it is corrupt. A couple of times I realized I had a corrupt file, which was why comicshelf was giving me an error.
If I close the comic and reopen it it works again for a few minutes then I get the error again. I have the latest 1.4.0 version. I'm pretty sure the files aren't corrupt. I would imagine if they were corrupt they wouldn't display at all but they display just fine and I can read them until that error pops up. I'm going to test them again though just to be sure. Thanks for replaying. I appreciate it.
Old 08/04/2012, 08:24 PM   #787 (permalink)

Now, one thing to bear in mind - that error sometimes comes up because of OTHER comics. As in, you open a directory and click a comic while other covers are still loading. Then, while you're reading, it gives up on the other comic and flashes the message on screen.

Check and see if you have any other comics that are having delayed loading times. Some of the things I've found that cause this aren't necessarily corrupt comics - just ones that this program doesn't like (and others do.) If you find the trouble-makers, completely unzip the archives and (after determining that there aren't any "junk" files in there) rezip/rar them and reconvert to cbr/z.

(also, make sure the comics aren't exceedingly large.)
Old 08/07/2012, 11:21 PM   #788 (permalink)

I think I may have found the problem. I tested this particular comic series I am trying to read that I'm having all the problems with on my PC and the third comic in the series gives me a message saying the archive is broken. So I'm guessing that is whats tripping the error on Comicshelf. All of my other comics are working perfectly though. I'll just have to read this particular series on my PC. Thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate the help.
Old 08/08/2012, 06:21 AM   #789 (permalink)

Why not try to fix the archive?
Old 03/16/2013, 08:14 AM   #790 (permalink)

So no one has any idea how to get past the service error? There isn't any solution to the never ending spinning circle? How do you get this program to load? I've reset, reformatted several times even with the secure option. Several reboots followed by shutdowns. I'm going to attempt to get a refund if no one has any helpful suggestions.

Ridiculous that this question has been asked several times even up to a year and a half ago and no one has anything to say about this broken app. If it isn't being supported and the developer has moved on, he should stop selling a defective product and take it down from the store.
solss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2013, 10:25 AM   #791 (permalink)

Well...did you try the list of things I suggested a few posts up?
Old 03/16/2013, 07:09 PM   #792 (permalink)

Quote:
Scroll back through this thread - there are specific hoops to jump through to properly uninstall an app fully. I think you need to uninstall, do a FULL reboot - power off, then power on by holding power button and the homekey down for 15 seconds - let it boot, reinstall, do a regular reboot and then see if you have a comic folder.

Also, you said that it's a fresh TP and you wiped it - did you make sure that all updates were installed?
Yes, I tried this out several times. I've looked through most of the thread and didn't find much else of anything resembling a fix. I didn't mean to come off as perturbed but I was excited about the prospect of using my old cheapo pad as a comic reader and I didn't hear anything negative about the program until I experienced the issue first hand after installation. Yeah, same problem as most people, spinning forever, no comics folder. Thanks for the help, still.
Old 03/17/2013, 02:02 PM   #793 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weidbrewer View Post
Now, one thing to bear in mind - that error sometimes comes up because of OTHER comics. As in, you open a directory and click a comic while other covers are still loading. Then, while you're reading, it gives up on the other comic and flashes the message on screen.

Check and see if you have any other comics that are having delayed loading times. Some of the things I've found that cause this aren't necessarily corrupt comics - just ones that this program doesn't like (and others do.) If you find the trouble-makers, completely unzip the archives and (after determining that there aren't any "junk" files in there) rezip/rar them and reconvert to cbr/z.

(also, make sure the comics aren't exceedingly large.)
This was the post I was talking about.
Thanked By: Jason Robitaille
Old 03/17/2013, 07:13 PM   #794 (permalink)

Well, a comics folder never gets created -- there are no comics for the program to get stuck on. I've tried creating my own comics folder and putting different comics in there but nothing changes. That isn't really pertinent to the problem. No comics are ever loaded, there is no "shelf". I can't load any comics ever. It's in a perpetual spin logo. The farthest the program has ever gotten into the loading process is wolverine face, quickstart guide menu popup, then perpetual logo (followed 10 minutes later by the error message). I hope I'm being clear? There isn't anything more to it.
Old 06/11/2013, 09:57 AM   #795 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solss View Post
Well, a comics folder never gets created -- there are no comics for the program to get stuck on. I've tried creating my own comics folder and putting different comics in there but nothing changes. That isn't really pertinent to the problem. No comics are ever loaded, there is no "shelf". I can't load any comics ever. It's in a perpetual spin logo. The farthest the program has ever gotten into the loading process is wolverine face, quickstart guide menu popup, then perpetual logo (followed 10 minutes later by the error message). I hope I'm being clear? There isn't anything more to it.
I have this exact problem. I've also tried everything suggested and still no fix. I'm a little annoyed that I've paid for a product that doesn't work, even if it didn't cost much.
Danny_H22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2013, 08:30 PM   #796 (permalink)
Banned

It's probably worth checking these forums for any app issues before purchasing apps at this point. People will generally report whether an app's working or not. Otherwise it's caveat emptor.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2013, 06:59 PM   #797 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solss View Post
I know jason has apparently moved on, and I'm happy for him. However, I'm having the same issue as several other folks here. It's been a while since any posts, but has this issue ever been resolved? I've used this app for a long time, lost my touchpad, bought a new one, and now I can't get it to load. It's double-sad because this is really the only app I ever use. This device was replaced because I love reading comics on it, and now I'm up a creek, so-to-speak.

I've tried everything suggested in all 40 pages of this thread, uninstall, reboot, hardreboot, wipe the whole tablet, etc etc etc... and I still get nothing but a spinning icon. It's not a corrupt comic file because it never creates a comic folder, so I never even have an opportunity to even load a comic. There aren't even any comic on the device. On initial startup, I just get a spinning icon of doom. I've wiped the machine clean no less than eight times.

I followed one suggestion that I needed to install Internalz first... so I paid $4 for Pro, only to see it do the exact same thing... spinning icon of doom! So now I have TWO apps by the same folks that do nothing but spin. I know this is a dead platform and people have moved on, but I'm clinging to it for dear life because I really love how it works. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
nachobidness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2014, 01:36 PM   #798 (permalink)

For those still experiencing the "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running" error:

The error seems to be caused by Comic Shelf attempting to render a thumbnail image of the cover, as people have mentioned here before. The program takes each file in succession, so when it comes to one that it doesn't like, it spins it's spin, and shuts down. There is a workaround!

The simplest solution I've found is to take the first unrendered cover issue and move it using Internalz. I created a folder in 'Comics' just for this. Close Comic Shelf each time you move a file, or it weirds out. After the file is moved, open Comic Shelf again, and see if it renders the next file in line. A slight non-responsive pause from the program is a sign that it is working properly! Check to see if you have any new thumbs, and repeat as needed. This step can take some time, as you may have eight comics in a row that are afflicted. Stick with it!

You should now have a working folder! Now, connect to your desktop and convert your folder full of unrendered comics. You can find .cbr to .cbz conversion programs, and .cbz to .cbr ones. There may even be some that do both, I haven't checked, as my first issues (see what I did there) were with .cbz files. Anywho, convert your files, making sure to track down the new versions in the program's output folder. Then just slide your new converts back into your folder on the Touchpad, and you and Comic Shelf should be all set.

I just loaded a folder of about 240 comics onto my device, and after pausing to think about it, the Touchpad rendered about half of the covers. I found two offenders, one being the next book in line as I described above, the other a rare one that it actually skipped but didn't get stuck on. Once I moved those out, and let it think about things, it loaded the next half no problem. A quick conversion for the remainders, and now I'm good to go!
masterelrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive and krotech like this.
Thanked by krotech, Preemptive

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0