07/11/2014, 01:36 PM
For those still experiencing the "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running" error:
The error seems to be caused by Comic Shelf attempting to render a thumbnail image of the cover, as people have mentioned here before. The program takes each file in succession, so when it comes to one that it doesn't like, it spins it's spin, and shuts down. There is a workaround!
The simplest solution I've found is to take the first unrendered cover issue and move it using Internalz. I created a folder in 'Comics' just for this. Close Comic Shelf each time you move a file, or it weirds out. After the file is moved, open Comic Shelf again, and see if it renders the next file in line. A slight non-responsive pause from the program is a sign that it is working properly! Check to see if you have any new thumbs, and repeat as needed. This step can take some time, as you may have eight comics in a row that are afflicted. Stick with it!
You should now have a working folder! Now, connect to your desktop and convert your folder full of unrendered comics. You can find .cbr to .cbz conversion programs, and .cbz to .cbr ones. There may even be some that do both, I haven't checked, as my first issues (see what I did there) were with .cbz files. Anywho, convert your files, making sure to track down the new versions in the program's output folder. Then just slide your new converts back into your folder on the Touchpad, and you and Comic Shelf should be all set.
I just loaded a folder of about 240 comics onto my device, and after pausing to think about it, the Touchpad rendered about half of the covers. I found two offenders, one being the next book in line as I described above, the other a rare one that it actually skipped but didn't get stuck on. Once I moved those out, and let it think about things, it loaded the next half no problem. A quick conversion for the remainders, and now I'm good to go!