Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263132333435363738394041 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes
    Hi, just bought the app and opened it, does not work. It opens, and displays the spinning loading icon for a long time before it displays "Error - ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running."
    As a paying customer I'm a bit dissapointed that the app I paid for will not work.
    It also did not seem to create a COMIC folder on my touchpad, thinking this could be a part of the problem. I have uninstalled, rebooted the touchpad, and then reinstalled. I even did a wipe of the entire TP and rebooted. All my other apps work fine, touchpad works fine, running newest version of webOS, but this app does not work, pretty dissapointed since I just bought it and it was one of the main reasons I bought a TP in the first place. Please help, thanks, and appreciate it
    Quote Originally Posted by numberonepad View Post
    Hi, just bought the app and opened it, does not work. It opens, and displays the spinning loading icon for a long time before it displays "Error - ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running."
    As a paying customer I'm a bit dissapointed that the app I paid for will not work.
    It also did not seem to create a COMIC folder on my touchpad, thinking this could be a part of the problem. I have uninstalled, rebooted the touchpad, and then reinstalled. I even did a wipe of the entire TP and rebooted. All my other apps work fine, touchpad works fine, running newest version of webOS, but this app does not work, pretty dissapointed since I just bought it and it was one of the main reasons I bought a TP in the first place. Please help, thanks, and appreciate it
    numberonepad, did you create a "comics" directory yourself before opening the app for the first time? I recently did this when re-installing the app and it would not open. I renamed the directory, re-installed the app again and re-opened the app. It created the directory itself and then I copied all my comics into the directory it created.

Anyway, if it's not that, I'm sure Jason will be able to help you figure out what's going on. He's good like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuser-Invent View Post
    numberonepad, did you create a "comics" directory yourself before opening the app for the first time? I recently did this when re-installing the app and it would not open. I renamed the directory, re-installed the app again and re-opened the app. It created the directory itself and then I copied all my comics into the directory it created.

Anyway, if it's not that, I'm sure Jason will be able to help you figure out what's going on. He's good like that.
    Fuser-Invent, no I did not, initially, although I did later attempt to do this. Like I said, because of this error I even did a complete wipe of webOS and reinitiated the whole tablet, to try and install Comic Shelf again. Same error. It opens up, gives me that little info window, and then I get the spinning loading wheel for like 5 minutes before it gives me the "Error - ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running."
    I've emailed Jason and posted here, I really hope I can get some help but it's been two days and I feel pretty frustrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by numberonepad View Post
    Fuser-Invent, no I did not, initially, although I did later attempt to do this. Like I said, because of this error I even did a complete wipe of webOS and reinitiated the whole tablet, to try and install Comic Shelf again. Same error. It opens up, gives me that little info window, and then I get the spinning loading wheel for like 5 minutes before it gives me the "Error - ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running."
    I've emailed Jason and posted here, I really hope I can get some help but it's been two days and I feel pretty frustrated.
    Jason has mentioned before that he has a lot of school work, He does a lot of stuff for WebOS and is very professional, but sometimes it takes him a little while to respond. I'm sure he will get back to you soon. Once you get it running properly I'm sure you will be very happy with it. I bought my Touchpad to read comics and ComicShelf HD the only app besides Advanced Browser that I use everyday.

If you don't want to wait to hear back from Jason, you could try doing a "Full Erase" found in "Device Info" I think (I don't have my Touchpad on me). Then after the full erase run WebOs doctor again, making sure its the newest build. Download ComicShelf HD after getting WebOS up and running, then open it after it installs. It should take a few seconds to create the comic directory, then you can go into the options and enable which ever ones you want to use.

Make sure you close ComicShelf HD before you put the Touchpad into USB mode, copy your comics into the "comics" file directory, eject the Touchpad and open ComicShelf HD again. I've found it's better to have no more than 100 comics in any given folder. If you enabled thumbnails it will take a little while for the thumbnails to generate but once they are generated, the folders will open really quickly the next time.

You could try skipping the whole full erase/webos doctor thing at first, just uninstall the app, restart the device, re-install it and then follow the rest of the steps, just in case it was a problem with not closing ComicShelf when you went into USB mode or was a problem with too many comics in on folder. Hope something I said helps out, but if not don't worry, I'm sure Jason will figure it out.
    I am having trouble getting ComicShelf to recognize .gif files converted to RAR/ZIP. I previously have had no trouble with converting jpegs, as the program seemed to be able to open either RAR or ZIP files. I have a bunch of .gif files of the same comic and tried converting them to both RAR and ZIP. Both failed to open. When trying to open the newly converted file, I keep getting the error message, "file is corrupt or empty." The .gif's in question display just fine on my computer when opened....there is nothing wrong with them. I also tried renaming the converted files to .cbr and it made no difference.

Would appreciate some input here.
    Last edited by TouchMe79; 02/14/2012 at 07:48 PM.
    Anyone?? Are GIF files not supported? Someone asked the question several months ago and never got a response. Once again, converting all the GIF files to one CBR or CBZ or RAR or ZIP file is not working....getting "file is corrupt or empty", no matter what I convert them to.
    forget it....I just found out through an exhaustive search on the forum that GIF files are not supported
    UGH....more problems. I converted the Achewood .gif files to .jpg files...then converted them to RAR/CBR and they STILL don't open! The progress wheel spun and spun for about 6 minutes and finally gave back the error message "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running."

Here we go again, with comics timing out. And there are only 66 pages in this one.

Just tried it a second time and now the program completely locks up after the error and won't do anything else.
    Last edited by TouchMe79; 02/15/2012 at 04:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchMe79 View Post
    UGH....more problems. I converted the Achewood .gif files to .jpg files...then converted them to RAR/CBR and they STILL don't open! The progress wheel spun and spun for about 6 minutes and finally gave back the error message "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running."

Here we go again, with comics timing out. And there are only 66 pages in this one.

Just tried it a second time and now the program completely locks up after the error and won't do anything else.
    Do you have Dropbox? If you shared the files I could just fix whatever problem you are having and then re-upload the cbr or cbz file to your Dropbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuser-Invent View Post
    Do you have Dropbox? If you shared the files I could just fix whatever problem you are having and then re-upload the cbr or cbz file to your Dropbox.
    Oh, thanks Fuser. I am using the Touchpad's general picture viewer to open those particular comix now. No idea at all why they weren't working, as I used a pretty good batch converter to change the files from. gif to .jpg. ComicShelf seems so fussy/sensitive and (with all due respect to Jason) we know how buggy it can be. For some reason, it obviously didn't like the converted files....though there was absolutely nothing wrong with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchMe79 View Post
    Oh, thanks Fuser. I am using the Touchpad's general picture viewer to open those particular comix now. No idea at all why they weren't working, as I used a pretty good batch converter to change the files from. gif to .jpg. ComicShelf seems so fussy/sensitive and (with all due respect to Jason) we know how buggy it can be. For some reason, it obviously didn't like the converted files....though there was absolutely nothing wrong with them.
    As Fuser said, if you have a Dropbox account, any number of us would be willing to help. Personally, I haven't found a file yet that i haven't been able to open with a little work (besides corrupt ones.) Put 'em up there and let someone know where to get them, and we'll take a look.
    Jason, love the app. I use it constantly. Comics look gorgeous on it. Just to echo other comments I've seen, here are some suggestions / requests for the next update.
    -remember the last page for the last 5-10 comics read (most used if I'm reading a long comic & I want to take a break with other comics. When opening that long comic again, it would be great if it went right to the correct page)
    -read other image types. l know it reads jpg, but I don't know if it can also read gif or png.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    BTW, as of v1.4.0, first use of the app will bring up a popup with usage information, including how to toggle the top/bottom bars
    Not really anything to do with toggling the top/bottom bars, but just wanted to post as a satisfied buyer. I bought my Touchpad at BB during the fire sale craze, but I think mainly just for the hunt. I used it for a while, but then it sat in my night stand for a couple of months.

Then, the other day I got the crazy idea of actually starting to use this thing.

What for?

To read comics, and now thanks to your app, I have a great way to do it. Also, can't remember who it was that posted it, but thanks to you unknown support guy/girl, I had 8 comics that would just not read and it turned out that they had been saved as CBR, when they should have been CBZ. (edit: Thanks LapinFou)

Anyways, keep doing what you've been doing, Jason. As one side note, I think someone else may have mentioned it, but is there any way to include in a future update, a way for the app to try and read the file, regardless of file extension in the case you receive a file incorrectly labeled from somebody else? If not, that's cool but wondering.

Also, the thumbnail look is awesome. Despite the warning, I loaded up my Walking Dead comics, all 93 of them onto my Touchpad and they look great. Now, I get to rub it in my buddy's face tomorrow.

My one last comment has to do with the seeming inability for the feeds to point to the correct spot from within Preware. I tried for a long time to install Internalz Pro, thinking it was my crappy WiFi or something until I actually saw the error message, telling me the page had 404'd. Is this something that will be fixed? I searched through some threads and ended up finding it, but it was less than an ideal way.

Either way, thanks for your continued development!
    Last edited by bebopfan; 02/27/2012 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Figured out who else I should thank.
    yeahbowen and Typo Lad like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bebopfan View Post
    I loaded up my Walking Dead comics

...and that would be the exact reason I started this whole TouchPad journey in the first place.
    For those that are tired of the cbz's listed as cbr's(and vise versa) not working in Comic Shelf HD here is a fairly easy way to fix the files instead of waiting on the program to be fixed. The program "cbx shell" from T800 Productions(pretty sure that is the one that finally worked) will let you view your cbr/cbz files as small images of the first page as long as you have it set to "thumbnails" view. The program will only show an image for properly named files so a zipped cbz file listed as cbr will not show an image. Search your comics folder for *.cb and you will get all the cbz & cbr files. The ones that don't have a proper image just need the extension changed to cbr or cbz, whatever it's NOT listed as already. It should almost instantly change to a proper image. If not you may need to delete your temp files and using disc cleanup and make sure you select "thumbnails". After that they should all show properly in Windows and if they show properly there it should work perfect on the touchpad. Not the fix I would prefer but a decent work around for now. Start wading through those GB's folks!
  16. Cha
    Easiest solution for me is, if the file doesn't open, go into internalz and change the extension.
    yeahbowen likes this.
    Cha, that's easiest for me as well but I have to get everything sorted for my wife because she's not interested in learning to do that. This was the "bulk fix option" so to speak
  18. Cha
    Fair enough. Good solution for the less techy in our circle.
    Just mentions these: it cannot display non-English file name nor the cbz/cbr that have non-English page name.
    Just for information.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    So is development for this app dead? I figured we'd hear from him during spring break for at least a status on things?