Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    As stated before, if you still have timeouts, that's almost certainly a case of the old version's service not being killed properly and staying active. Try restarting your device. If that doesn't remove the timeout issue, please uninstall, reboot, the reinstall. There is no feasible reason you should be getting timeout in 1.3.2 or later.

As specifically stated in ComicShelf HD itself, thumbnail shelf view is experimental. I've never said otherwise and have continued refining it over the following version releases. Myself, I have over 6GB of comics on my touchpad and the shelf feature works perfectly fine. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, if you're unable to use the "Set As Thumbnail" feature, then please post the specific error you get so I can actually look into what's causing it.

I take great offense to calling ComicShelf HD "half-assed", and it definitely doesn't sound as though you appreciate the work. Something tells me you've never developed for webOS before. I have spent countless hours working on it and it is one of the best-looking apps on the App Catalog. And as people in the very thread can tell you, optimizations and bugs fixes do happen.

I'm gonna self-edit myself here to stay as non-confrontational as possible, but I think you get the point.
    <<staff edit>>

I do appreciate the work, I just think it should go open source for people that have more time to put into the app. I understand you have school and a life outside of all this. In my deleted post I said you built a great foundation, let others add to it. I'm sorry you can't take constructive criticism, was just writing my thoughts. Thank you for the 1.4 update.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/09/2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: complaining about mods
  2.    #662  
    Quote Originally Posted by seritonin View Post
    <<staff edit>>

I do appreciate the work, I just think it should go open source for people that have more time to put into the app. I understand you have school and a life outside of all this. In my deleted post I said you built a great foundation, let others add to it. I'm sorry you can't take constructive criticism, was just writing my thoughts. Thank you for the 1.4 update.
    Bit of a difference between offense comments about an app and its OS compared to constructive criticism. And I believe my previous reply addressed the faults you had. What I won't tolerate is someone coming to this thread to only complain, without wanting any fixes or rectifying of the perceived situation.

As for opensource, the vast majority of my webOS work is in fact opensource, and no one assists in development of those numerous programs. So for my paid apps, I've chosen to keep them closed source, so I can keep the code for any future ports to other OSes, etc.. Opensource is fine for free stuff, but if people can get the paid app free elsewhere, they're going to. Not to mention, in the blink of an eye, someone could release an opensource free version on the App Catalog. I figure, I do a LOT of free, open homebrew stuff, but I still do need to get some money for all the time spent; let's be realistic; Canuck Coding is an actual business that I want to grow, make profit, expand, etc. The free opensource work gets me the occasional donations, but paid App Catalog apps give me far beyond and in turn, fund my future developments.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/09/2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: removed part of quoted text
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    @seritonin You've been here less than a month and all the posts sound very entitled and very condescending towards the dev. As for open source, I'm guessing you are new to WebOS because it's been around a while and only one person has made a good comic reader. People don't need open source to make an app they need the desire to do so. Why not spend a half hour of your time, install android on the TouchPad and go use a fabulous free app and let us continue to provide actual constructive criticism so Jason can make it better for the people who appreciate his work.
    Last edited by yeahbowen; 01/09/2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Just a heads up on 1.4.0 update. After installing I got a no error code error. Assuming that had something to do with all the changes in the update I closed the app, removed the app, restarted the TouchPad then reinstalled from app store. Working just fine now, figured I'd let people know about doing that if they hadn't seen anything about it on the other pages(with 34 pages who has read all those?!).
    Jason, I rebooted the Touchpad and I'm still getting timeout errors on the Crumb comic. The specific message is: "commandTimeout in ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service"

When trying to load the comic, I still get the "Page 1/??" at the bottom of the page. As for someone's suggestion that the comic may have strange characters/spanish, etc...I don't believe that is the issue. This comic loaded just fine a couple of updates ago.
  6.    #666  
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchMe79 View Post
    Jason, I rebooted the Touchpad and I'm still getting timeout errors on the Crumb comic. The specific message is: "commandTimeout in ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service"

When trying to load the comic, I still get the "Page 1/??" at the bottom of the page. As for someone's suggestion that the comic may have strange characters/spanish, etc...I don't believe that is the issue. This comic loaded just fine a couple of updates ago.
    Email me the file to support [at] canuckcoding [dot] ca. It sounds as though it isn't even getting to the step that it extracts the pages.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Email me the file to support [at] canuckcoding [dot] ca. It sounds as though it isn't even getting to the step that it extracts the pages.
    The file is 750MB, I believe.....is there an email client out there that will support mailing such a large file?
  8.    #668  
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchMe79 View Post
    The file is 750MB, I believe.....is there an email client out there that will support mailing such a large file?
    hmm, do you have a link to where you've downloaded it? The only option I could imagine would be via dropbox, box.net, or a cloud storage website like megaupload.com

Jason, one of my top apps I use daily.

And especially now that I have all my pre '76-2006 "Heavy Metal" issues, and all "PLOP!"comix installed, I may never put this TP down.

Excellent job bud!!! Thanx a bunch for this app.
    hmm, do you have a link to where you've downloaded it? The only option I could imagine would be via dropbox, box.net, or a cloud storage website like megaupload.com
    Jason....I emailed you the link.

Thanks....
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbowen View Post
    @seritonin You've been here less than a month and all the posts sound very entitled and very condescending towards the dev. As for open source, I'm guessing you are new to WebOS because it's been around a while and only one person has made a good comic reader. People don't need open source to make an app they need the desire to do so. Why not spend a half hour of your time, install android on the TouchPad and go use a fabulous free app and let us continue to provide actual constructive criticism so Jason can make it better for the people who appreciate his work.
    To echo those comments, I think we should consider ourselves lucky to have this forum and this open dialogue with the dev. How often does THAT happen these days? How often do you get the chance to openly communicate with the developer of a program and help to have him create a better version?! Is the program perfect? No, but with the feedback of us here, it probably will be at some point.

Try getting this kind of interaction and communication with a dev over at APPLE
    yeahbowen likes this.
    Jason, my latest PM to you is not appearing in my Sent box....I got your message, thx. I will try re-downloading the file and see if it works this time. If not, I imagine something must be wrong with my TP.

I am running the Preware/overclocked version of WEBOS, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.
    Hello

I have upgraded to 1.4 and everything works fine on my touchpad no problems, great app, thank you very much.

I guess you have updates most important and necessary, I'm Spanish If you give a future Spanish character support would be fantastic. (Also occurs in internalz pro)

I have some suggestions I do not know if will be possible.
    In fullscreen mode include options set as thumbnail and close & mark unread.
    Add white background (many European comics have a white background) and add the option to change the background color in mode full screen.

Sorry for my English
    Last edited by adolfomix; 01/10/2012 at 06:49 AM.
    Well Jason....mixed results! I deleted the Crumb comic from the Touchpad....re-downloaded it from the same source I sent to you....and the comic took FOREVER to load (about 4-5 minutes) but finally did indeed load. Did it take that long for you?
    TM79, I was thinking about your issues(pardon the pun) and thought "... hm... what if he unpacked it and then batch converted the images with FastStone Image Viewer to a better resolution and repacked it, wouldn't that make it a smaller size? My 200mb Batgirl comic is 285 pages and looks pretty good, your comic should be able to be a lot smaller unless it's like 1000 pages or something. That would certainly help. Just an idea.
    p.s. (now that it's open don't close the program just finish the darn thing so we never have to hear about that "crumby" comic again)
    YB, what can I say....Crumb is the man....lol. It isn't so much that I just really want that particular comic to open...it's more the fact that I'm concerned that the program will continue to have issues with similar large size comics. The comic is 226 pages long, I believe. I was in the process of writing a post saying the comic wouldn't open (for my last post) and then, after 4-5 minutes of the progress wheel spinning, it finally opened....to my surprise.

I will definitely consider your suggestion, thanks. I wonder what it is about that Crumb comic...because since the last coupla updates, ComicShelf seems to open other large comics pretty quickly. I have no idea why this one takes 5 minutes to load. I'm trying to find out if it also took 5 minutes for Jason to open the same file.
    TM79 How big are your other "large" comics that open faster? That is absolutely the biggest comic I have ever seen(and at 226 pages I can't imagine WHY it would need to be THAT big). Anyhow, the reformatting should fix it because those images are way way bigger than anything is going to display. Glad it's working now though!
    YB, I'd have to go back and look, but there are some others that are well over 100 pages long that I was pleasantly surprised how quickly they opened recently....within 15-20 seconds or so.

The Crumb Handbook is a combination book and comic (maybe that's what makes it take so long)....and the file itself is 750MB.
    Hm... If I'm not mistaken the TouchPad only has 1gb of ram. Loading a 750mb file into that 1gb of ram would take up 3/4 of the space. I would be your other 100pg comics are a lot smaller as well. Man that thing is just a beast!
    Yeah, it's a very big file. Since Jason has not responded to me regarding how long it took him to open the same file, I can only assume he also experienced a long delay.

Oh well...at least it opens now....which is the main thing.