Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    A single tap on the comic page will toggle visibility. I added a first-use popup to the upcoming 1.4.0 update to help new users out, so hopefully other new users won't have a learning curve

It will be an option in the Settings screen that will apply to all comics.
    thanks for answering so quickly.. this is why I love the developers here
    I just got the 1.3.2 update and I am surprised that the loading time increased. It used to take 2 seconds, now it takes 10 seconds. I restarted and have the latest patches from preware. I suspect that some patch I got is bad.

Note if load a comic close then reopen, it opens fast.
    Last edited by frmorrison; 01/04/2012 at 10:47 PM.
  3.    #643  
    Quote Originally Posted by frmorrison View Post
    I just got the 1.3.2 update and I am surprised that the loading time increased. It used to take 2 seconds, now it takes 10 seconds. I restarted and have the latest patches from preware. I suspect that some patch I got is bad.

No idea why you're experiencing that. In that area of the app, I only fixed any issue that would timeout the service after 30seconds; didn't change the extraction procedure itself.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reuelthomas View Post
    You also need to turn off fullscreen mode so that you can access the pulldown menu, where the new option lives.

Of course it's still not working right yet for me, keeps giving me an error message.
    Thanks for the advice, I couldn't find the option anywhere, email and wallpaper are there, didn't realize I needed to undo fullscreen to find this thumbnail options.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

That's odd, I noticed no different speed loading books with this patch.

The only problem I am still having is that 250+ page long Crumb comic- "Crumb Handbook". When I try loading it, the bottom counter doesn't even display # of pages...it is just a question mark: "1/??" Then I get a timeout error. A couple of updates ago, that same comic was displaying the correct # of pages when loading and it did load. It took forever to load, but did indeed load.

Other than the Crumb comic and its problems, all the comics are loading much faster now.
  7.    #647  
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchMe79 View Post
    The only problem I am still having is that 250+ page long Crumb comic- "Crumb Handbook". When I try loading it, the bottom counter doesn't even display # of pages...it is just a question mark: "1/??" Then I get a timeout error. A couple of updates ago, that same comic was displaying the correct # of pages when loading and it did load. It took forever to load, but did indeed load.

Other than the Crumb comic and its problems, all the comics are loading much faster now.
    I suspect the update got installed, but the old service wasn't killed and is still running. Try doing a device restart. There's no way timeouts should happen with the current 1.3.2 and 1.4.0

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

TM79 haven't you given up on that Crumb comic yet
    Hi jason, 3.2 works fine with nas mounted drive. No timeouts anymore. I have some issues with a specific comic (whether zip or recompressed to rar) that will give a ca.canu....service not running. After trying to open that comic, all,other will give the same error message .
    Btw, would there be any way to start displaying images while the whole file is not loaded yet? Would speed up reading over nas... Ps: do you plan to incorporate the ability to click on pdf files in the comic subfolders?(opening whatever registered pdf viewer)
    Tx
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchMe79 View Post

Hello.

In my case it happened to me I saw some comics "pages 1 /??" and these did not generate thumbnail and the reason was that they have Spanish characters ( ) in the names of the jpgs or some jpg and the comic fails.

Maybe you have any character rare in any name of jpgs and fails

Sorry for my English.
    Last edited by adolfomix; 01/08/2012 at 11:39 AM.
    yeahbowen likes this.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I'm also getting random time outs since installing the update.

Also, the thumbnail switching option works about 10% of the time I try it, 90% of the time I get an error saying it's unable to change the thumbnail.

If you don't have time to optimize or bug check you might want to make the program open source. I appreciate your work but this software seems half-assed at best compared to free windows comic readers and even some on android.

Unfortunately, the lack of improvements or focus on this software make me think when a solid hack of android is stable on touchpad I'll just be moving to that for a competant reader.
    @serotonin

Just so you know, the app author is probably the most respected and accomplished homebrew developer in all of webOS. You should start with the assumption that he has done all of what you expect, and more. If you assume the issue is at least partially on your side. If you start with the position of ur original post, you probably won't get much assistance or sympathy.

just sayin'
    Hey Jason, did CSHD lose functionality in viewing .gif files packed in a cbr/cbz or did CSHD never have that ability? I thought it wasn't showing due to spaces in the file names but after renaming and repacking I found it still wasn't working. Thanks
    Hi Jason,
    First of all, thanks! Great App! Lots of fun reading my comics on the touchpad with CSHD. I updated to the latest version from the HP catalog a couple of days back, but the issue that I'm seeing doesn't seem to go away.

I'm reading .cbz and .cbr comics (with jpgs) with about 45-65 pages each. They load fine, but while reading it would hang for a few seconds every few minutes and skip back a few pages when it comes unstuck from the hang. (swipe gestures don't do anything until after it becomes unstuck).

I got around this by minimizing(suspend) the app to the card view (either bezel-swipe-up or button-press) and maximizing the app again. When the app awakens, it jumps back to the current page. However, it still hangs for a couple of seconds or so before it responds to minimize and maximize. Having to do this every few minutes is a little bit annoying.

Is this a known issue? Is there some way to work around this?
    Thanks!
    @jpaandu My wife and I had that problem a while back on both of ours. Since we only used the comicshelf app with any frequency I assumed it was that. The same problem happened in my Bible app and I then realized it was something else causing the issue. I removed a lot of misc apps/games I wasn't using then restarted the machine and haven't had any issues since. Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I hope that helps.
  16.    #656  
    Quote Originally Posted by seritonin View Post
    I'm also getting random time outs since installing the update.

Also, the thumbnail switching option works about 10% of the time I try it, 90% of the time I get an error saying it's unable to change the thumbnail.

If you don't have time to optimize or bug check you might want to make the program open source. I appreciate your work but this software seems half-assed at best compared to free windows comic readers and even some on android.

Unfortunately, the lack of improvements or focus on this software make me think when a solid hack of android is stable on touchpad I'll just be moving to that for a competent reader.
    As stated before, if you still have timeouts, that's almost certainly a case of the old version's service not being killed properly and staying active. Try restarting your device. If that doesn't remove the timeout issue, please uninstall, reboot, the reinstall. There is no feasible reason you should be getting timeout in 1.3.2 or later.

As specifically stated in ComicShelf HD itself, thumbnail shelf view is experimental. I've never said otherwise and have continued refining it over the following version releases. Myself, I have over 6GB of comics on my touchpad and the shelf feature works perfectly fine. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, if you're unable to use the "Set As Thumbnail" feature, then please post the specific error you get so I can actually look into what's causing it.

I take great offense to calling ComicShelf HD "half-assed", and it definitely doesn't sound as though you appreciate the work. Something tells me you've never developed for webOS before. I have spent countless hours working on it and it is one of the best-looking apps on the App Catalog. And as people in the very thread can tell you, optimizations and bugs fixes do happen.

I'm gonna self-edit myself here to stay as non-confrontational as possible, but I think you get the point.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 01/09/2012 at 01:55 PM.

yeahbowen likes this.
  17.    #657  
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbowen View Post
    Hey Jason, did CSHD lose functionality in viewing .gif files packed in a cbr/cbz or did CSHD never have that ability? I thought it wasn't showing due to spaces in the file names but after renaming and repacking I found it still wasn't working. Thanks
    Nah, .gif has never been supported, as Palm's ImageView component doesn't handle gif files

18.    #658  
    v1.4.0 is now available on the App Catalog!

Here's the changelog:

v1.4.0 - January 9, 2012
    - Added Auto-fit/Fit-by-width/Fit-by-height option
    - Maximum zoom ratio increased
    - Improved filetype fallback compatibility
    - First-use info/tips dialog
    - Large internal changes that will allow more improvements/possibilities in future releases

yeahbowen likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbowen View Post
    @jpaandu My wife and I had that problem a while back on both of ours. Since we only used the comicshelf app with any frequency I assumed it was that. The same problem happened in my Bible app and I then realized it was something else causing the issue. I removed a lot of misc apps/games I wasn't using then restarted the machine and haven't had any issues since. Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I hope that helps.
    @yeahbowen, thanks! I'll go home tonight and try getting rid of a few apps and reboot as you suggested.
    Of the considerable amount of comics I have, only the one folder was compiled with gifs. After about 30 minutes of unzipping, batch converting(FastStone Image Viewer has a great batch converter btw) and rezipped them. No more gifs... I think. Good job editing your response, I wrote about 3 different ones and then just flagged the post instead Thanks for the update, looking forward to 1.4.0
    p.s. if you need beta testers let me know, my wife uses CSHD pretty much every day. She's not tech savy but she can jot down any error codes that show up.