Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer_420 View Post
    is there any way to get the comics to fit to width Instead of height?
    if not could you add that option in your next your next update? As pinching to zoom every time I change the page is a bit annoying

anyways thanks and keep up the good work
    +1 to this. Also zoom lock would be great.
    Mon-El likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbowen View Post
    If someone created your comics and didn't really know what they were doing they could have zipped them(.zip) and then renamed them to .rar which would screw with what comicshelf is looking at.
    Working my way through the first three issues of the New 52 (acquired through wholly legal means, I assure you...) I've run into this problem a lot. I generally just keep Internalz open in the background and change the extension when needed. 99% of the time that works. Once or twice, I've had to put it back on my laptop, unzip, re-zip and put it back. (*nudge-nudge* on unzipping in Internalz, Jason... )

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbowen View Post
    So Jason, will the open-source of webOS be helpful for the app? Wondered what your thoughts were?
    I've been curious about this as well.
    Mon-El likes this.
    Hello Canuck,

I purchased your app yesterday, but I always get this error when I tried to open a rar comic. I tried to reset, restart, uninstall, reinstall, etc. didn't help. I found a couple hit on this error in the forum, but those were never addressed. Can you please help me fix this?

Thanks,
    ricezman
    If I understand you correctly, you're trying to open a straight .rar file? If so, ComicShelf can't read those natively. Comic programs use .cbr or .cbz format. The good news is that all you need to do is change the extension of .rar to .cbr and .zip to .cbz. Once you do that, you should be good to go.

If you're experiencing something different, please elaborate.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I have tried uncompressing an archive and re-compressing it ensuring that I zipped it (using .ZIP) and called the archive '[whatever].cbz'.

Still getting the black screen and the error message ("ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running"). Would really like to know what the problem is as it is quite irritating and takes a little of the gloss off what is an excellent app!

I have deleted, rebooted, reinstalled several times. No effect.

Does anybody else have any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon-El View Post
    Does anybody else have any ideas?
    Do you have a Dropbox account? If you do, put the comic in your public folder and PM me a link to it (You know, if it's not copy-written material, of course... ) When get home from work tonight, I can try it on my Touchpad and see if the issue is with just the file/your TP.
    I renamed the file from .zip to .cbz, and I made sure that I can use the PC's reader to view it. Then I copied this to comics directory of the Touchpad, and I still have the same error

commandTimeout in ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service

I saw in a previous post, another user has the same issue as well.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ricezman View Post
    Hello Canuck,

I purchased your app yesterday, but I always get this error when I tried to open a rar comic. I tried to reset, restart, uninstall, reinstall, etc. didn't help. I found a couple hit on this error in the forum, but those were never addressed. Can you please help me fix this?

Thanks,
    ricezman
    How large is the comic?
    Quote Originally Posted by W3idbrewer View Post
    How large is the comic?
    How many roads must a man walk down?

It depends on the comic - some are a megabyte or two in size, and some stretch into the hundreds of megabytes. A comic is just a series of image files, scanned pages, so the size is dependent on the quality of those images. High resolution scans for long comic books = bigger files.

You could probably fit every single major and/or reasonably important or desireable comic ever published inside a 100 gigabyte folder.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Yes, but the that error presents itself sometimes with very large comic sizes (300-500+ pages.) Just trying to eliminate possibilities for ricezman, in case he didn't see those suggestions earlier in this (looooong) thread.
    It's 200Mb, with 200 pages of jpgs. Let me try something smaller. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by W3idbrewer View Post
    Yes, but the that error presents itself sometimes with very large comic sizes (300-500+ pages.) Just trying to eliminate possibilities for ricezman, in case he didn't see those suggestions earlier in this (looooong) thread.
    So I found a great fix for the problem and a great way to get all the features everyone is asking for!

First I spent about 10 mins installing Android on my touchpad, then I downloaded Perfect Viewer (free): now all my comics load with no problems and I have all the features asked for in this LONG thread (and more)!

Sorry to be "that guy" but I'm not seeing any progress in fixing the problems we're reporting for this paid app.
    Quote Originally Posted by useridsam View Post
    First I spent about 10 mins installing Android on my touchpad, then I downloaded Perfect Viewer (free): now all my comics load with no problems and I have all the features asked for in this LONG thread (and more)!
    I didn't really like the UI for perfect viewer. Droid Comic Viewer and Simple Comic Viewer were both okay but I've still been sticking to ComicShelf HD in webOS. Everything is just so much easier to use and I figured out how to solve 95% of the problems that may come up, though they rarely do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuser-Invent View Post
    I didn't really like the UI for perfect viewer. Droid Comic Viewer and Simple Comic Viewer were both okay but I've still been sticking to ComicShelf HD in webOS. Everything is just so much easier to use and I figured out how to solve 95% of the problems that may come up, though they rarely do.
    I just ran into far too many comics that just wouldn't load with ComicShelf. That and the lack of features and how I find it's not reliable in remembering which comic/page I had open. I never had an issue with the Perfect Viewer interface, although it did take a bit of time to get used to, I like the extra options.

Now that I've got android on it I find I use the touchpad a lot more, probably because I always found the apps for WebOS lacking. I really liked the WebOS interface, ideally I'd like to be able to run android apps natively in WebOS as cards.
  15.    #615  
    Good news is my school term finals are done an I can get back to ComicShelf and my other apps.

I've got a small update coming soon (to be submitted in the next day or 2) which will address the following:
    - Fix large comics timing out the service
    - A menu option to set current page as Thumbnail icon
    - Fix ComicShelf opening multiple instances of itself when it shouldn't

Then I've got another update planned/worked out for submission in a week or so, which will hopefully (*knock wood*) include the following:
    - Fixed zoom setting, to lock the zoom level when changing pages
    - Fit-to-width, fit-to-height, and auto-fit, configurable setting
    - Fix the zip/rar fallback issue affecting incorrectly named archives

For the record, the 2 issues I've seen that affect viewing a comic are the large file issue, and the bad-named-fallback issue. The latter specifically being that for some reason, the fallback I coded isn't working; if you have a .cbr file named as ".cbz" (or vise verse) those won't open properly. I've yet to see any other legitimate bug affecting comic loading. If you find such a comic (and it's not physically damaged, or containing invalid images within), please sent it to me
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 12/18/2011 at 08:35 AM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  16.    #616  
    Quote Originally Posted by useridsam View Post
    So I found a great fix for the problem and a great way to get all the features everyone is asking for!

Sorry to be "that guy" but I'm not seeing any progress in fixing the problems we're reporting for this paid app.
    You weren't seeing any progress because I'm a student and was finishing end-term projects, assignments and exams. The level of support I've provided over the months has been far above many other webOS devs, and realistically, it's only $2.99 app. Add to that, I include a support option within ComicShelf HD and respond quite quickly with answers/solutions/news.

With that said, I'd like people to refrain from talking about competing apps within this thread. It's both insulting and bad for business.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Good news is my school term finals are done an I can get back to ComicShelf and my other apps.

I've got a small update coming soon (to be submitted in the next day or 2) which will address the following:
    - Fix large comics timing out the service
    - A menu option to set current page as Thumbnail icon
    - Fix ComicShelf opening multiple instances of itself when it shouldn't

Then I've got another update planned/worked out for submission in a week or so, which will hopefully (*knock wood*) include the following:
    - Fixed zoom setting, to lock the zoom level when changing pages
    - Fit-to-width, fit-to-height, and auto-fit, configurable setting
    - Fix the zip/rar fallback issue affecting incorrectly named archives

For the record, the 2 issues I've seen that affect viewing a comic are the large file issue, and the bad-named-fallback issue. The latter specifically being that for some reason, the fallback I coded isn't working; if you have a .cbr file named as ".cbz" (or vise verse) those won't open properly. I've yet to see any other legitimate bug affecting comic loading. If you find such a comic (and it's not physically damaged, or containing invalid images within), please sent it to me
    Thanks for the upcoming updates. Looking forward to the fit-to-width and fixed zoom level settings.

Just thought will share my use case:
    I had to read through a big pdf (400 pages ) and was finding it difficult to navigate using adode reader on touchpad. This is because of the sticky nature of the navigation between pages (try it to see what i mean). Also the vertical swipes required, adds salt to the wound!

So did a pdf to cbz conversion and have been happily using it ever since.

One feature in Adobe reader I found very useful that seems appropriate in comicshelf as well, is the horizantal scroll lock.

Thanks again for all your HB contributions.

P.S. Wish you good luck with your term results!
    I tried with smaller files, and I have same problem :-( Another strange thing is that after I tried to open a few files (.zip to .cbz) unsuccessfully, then my touchpad ran out of space. I had to clean up the comics directory.

Quote Originally Posted by ricezman View Post
    It's 200Mb, with 200 pages of jpgs. Let me try something smaller. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    You weren't seeing any progress because I'm a student and was finishing end-term projects, assignments and exams. The level of support I've provided over the months has been far above many other webOS devs, and realistically, it's only $2.99 app. Add to that, I include a support option within ComicShelf HD and respond quite quickly with answers/solutions/news.

With that said, I'd like people to refrain from talking about competing apps within this thread. It's both insulting and bad for business.
    I appreciate that yours is the only WebOS app that I own that actually gets updated on a regular basis. It's pretty easy to work around any temporary problems and I mostly stopped posting here because people were complaining about the same stuff over and over, even though most of the solutions are in this thread.

Maybe adding a couple of "known problems" and "temporary solutions" to the first post in the thread might help people? But maybe not. Anyway, good luck with school and thanks for rocking out the ComicShelf updates. I can't wait for the official Internalz app for the touchpad. You're awesome.
    Glad you are keeping up with the app Jason! Also glad your midterms are done. Like everyone else said, it's nice that you do updates and listen for suggestions. It's like you actually WANT our business haha. I bought our Touchpads just for reading comics so your program is the only thing we use and we really are glad to have it(no Android eating up the battery for us). Thanks again!