Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes
    useridsam: Have you uninstalled comicshelf, restarted the TP, reinstalled comicshelf yet?
    yeahbowen:
    Yes, I've uninstalled/rebooted/installed. I've also done a "Full Erase" via the "Reset Options" on the unit and done a fireware reset via WebOS Doctor, each time I have the same errors when loading at least 4 different comics ranging is size from 12 pages to 100+ pages (all these files open fine on my PC and my Android phone).

Are there any specific log files I could post that would help?
    Last edited by useridsam; 11/30/2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added info
    I don't know enough tech to answer that, I'm sure someone else will chime in on that. My question is are the comics specific ones or just any? If you unzip them do they have _ in the names or # signs or non .jpg files or folders or anything? I've never had any close out and I have a huge variety(except manga).
  4.    #584  
    Just a heads-up, development had admittedly be crawl-slow the past 2 weeks due to school. I'm got 1 last assignment left and final exams Dec 12th - 16th. After that are my winter holidays. I'm gonna try to get a small update out before the holidays, but at worst case scenario, it'll be during then. I'm got a few nice features/updates planned; though nothing overly big as I want to get Internalz HD and ArchiveXtractor finished ASAP.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    yeahbowen likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbowen View Post
    I don't know enough tech to answer that, I'm sure someone else will chime in on that. My question is are the comics specific ones or just any? If you unzip them do they have _ in the names or # signs or non .jpg files or folders or anything? I've never had any close out and I have a huge variety(except manga).
    There are some specific comics that won't load, it's not every comic that throws an error but there are a lot of them that do.

There aren't any with any special characters in the image files but I did find one comic that had a corrupt .png file in it which might have been the cause of the "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running" error.

I've re-packed that comic without the corrupt .png file and stopped getting the "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running" error, HOWEVER, the error has been replaced with "Empty or corrupt comic file" error.

ALL the comics that previously gave me the "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running" error are now returning the empty/corrupt file error.

This "Empty or corrupt comic file" was popping up when the "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running" error occurred as well. I thought I had mentioned the empty/corrupt file error in my first post but I realize now that I didn't.

I've uninstalled/rebooted/installed comicshelf again and still get the "Empty or corrupt comic file" for many comics. I have checked the contents of these files and there are no corrupt images or special characters and they load perfectly on my PC and Android phone.
    That's a weird one, I haven't had any issues like that. Maybe it will be part of Jason's next update? As for the comic, maybe try repacking it? Instead of cbr, zip it and make it a cbz or vice versa? I have no idea why you'd be having so many issues with the thing. Are the comics just a package of jpg files or are they png files or are they in a folder in the package? I haven't heard if it is supposed to support the png file type so that could be part of the issue.
    Is there any way to try this app before buying? I bought a used Touchpad and this was a big reason I did. I'm not a big fan of the size and weight of the Touchpad so I'm not sure how long I'll keep it. I'd prefer not to buy an app now if I sell my TP in the futre.
    Reading comics was a big reason you spent $100+ on the touchpad and the app is $2. Really, you want a trial version?
    First, I want to apologize if this has been talked about already in here. But with 30 pages to scroll through, it's not easy to keep up.

Secondly, my issue: I ran into a problem with my Touchpad that involves my ComicShelf HD app. I was reading my .cbr files when my device seemed to run a little slower than usual. I opted to restart my TP and suddenly, my ComicShelf HD app (along with other less important apps I can live without) was no longer there. Even Internalz Pro was gone.

I successfully reinstalled Internalz Pro and am able to find the .cbr files I have transfered from my computer to my TP. But I cannot open them. It says there is no application in my device able to read the cbr/cbz formats.

What confuses me is that when I open up Software Manager, ComicShelf HD is listed among the apps I have on my device. I just can't find it nor open the files it is made to support.

Another option I went for was going to the App Catalog. This was more curiosity than anything so I can see if I'd have to re-buy the app or not (the issue is not the 2$, but that I shouldn't have to pay for it again when I already have). The good news is it doesn't seem that I need to purchase it again as where it used to say "$1.99" before in order to install it, it simply says "Launch". Unfortunately, when I click on "Launch", it does not comply. I still can't open my ComicShelf HD app.

I don't understand what could have caused this. All I did was restart my device, something I've done countless times before without a problem. It is extremely frustrating because aside from web browsing, this application is what I use my Touchpad 85% of the time for.

I hope someone knows how I can fix this. Thanks!
    Hm... short of using webos doctor on it, maybe try a hard reset? Power it all the way off then hold the button on the face of it and the power on button at the same time until it starts. That is my only idea, maybe someone else will know more?
    is there any way to get the comics to fit to width Instead of height?
    if not could you add that option in your next your next update? As pinching to zoom every time I change the page is a bit annoying

anyways thanks and keep up the good work
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer_420 View Post
    is there any way to get the comics to fit to width Instead of height?
    if not could you add that option in your next your next update? As pinching to zoom every time I change the page is a bit annoying

anyways thanks and keep up the good work
    This is something that has been requested and Jason is aware of. However - as I understand it - it's actually a really tricky bit of coding to pull off, even if the end-result is so minor.
    Last I heard(and I'm not digging through 30 pages to find it) I think Jason had said he figured out a way to make it work but it wasn't in the last update so not really sure. I'm sure he'll add it as soon as he's able though. That or just fixed zoom so it will stay zoomed with each page flip. Wish I could remember better.
    Wish I could remember better.
    I was in pretty much the same boat.

This thread has gotten long enough and the app popular enough that it might be time for an FAQ at the beginning...
    Or a little guide in the app or app description. Some of the initial complaints were "bars across the top and bottom blocking the comic" which was fixed by just tapping the center of the screen. Doh!
    lol...yeah, and you still see that one come up every now and again.
    That's a weird one, I haven't had any issues like that. Maybe it will be part of Jason's next update? As for the comic, maybe try repacking it? Instead of cbr, zip it and make it a cbz or vice versa? I have no idea why you'd be having so many issues with the thing. Are the comics just a package of jpg files or are they png files or are they in a folder in the package? I haven't heard if it is supposed to support the png file type so that could be part of the issue.
    I've dug a little deeper and can't find anything that jumps out as to why some of the comic files load and why others throw that "Empty or corrupt comic file" error, it doesn't seem to be a .png vs .jpg issue at all.

Most of the comics I'm testing are .cbr files, some in the series will load and others won't.

I did try what you suggest and re-pack one of the comics as a .cbz and it did load up! Not sure why .cbr won't work and .cbz does but at least I have found a work around and some indication of what's causing the issue (hopefully Jason can fix this).
  18. Cha
    When I had the same problem, I went in with Internalz Pro and just edited the extension name to .cbr or .cbz. Fixed the problem.
    yeahbowen likes this.
    Cha makes a good point. If someone created your comics and didn't really know what they were doing they could have zipped them(.zip) and then renamed them to .rar which would screw with what comicshelf is looking at. Find one of the files that didn't work(on your computer or on the TP like cha said) and just change the extension. Great idea Cha!
    So Jason, will the open-source of webOS be helpful for the app? Wondered what your thoughts were?