webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > ComicShelf HD: Now in the App Catalog!
ComicShelf HD: Now in the App Catalog!
  Reply
Like Tree106Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08/21/2011, 07:47 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 11
And If I try to load up comics through gemini, it says error: file does not exist.

I'm pretty sure it does exist. I mean, I put it there, I can see it...if the file doesn't exist, how can I be sure anything exists? Do I exist?

I'm having an existential crisis here, you gotta fix this.
Poopyfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2011, 07:53 PM   #42 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,855
Ok, so answer and many questions as I can:

I'm not gone from webOS yet. I have more webOS apps in-the-works, including a ComicShelf update. In the update, I want to have thumbnail view of the comic covers, and an auto-resume option for when you close the app with a comic left open.

And if you have the problem where comics don't get detected, restart the device and they'll show up. I've been told it's the result of a system issue, and I'm actively exploring alternatives
__________________
If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Typo Lad and NSA like this.
Thanked By: toasterthegamer
Old 08/21/2011, 08:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Ok, so answer and many questions as I can:

I'm not gone from webOS yet. I have more webOS apps in-the-works, including a ComicShelf update. In the update, I want to have thumbnail view of the comic covers, and an auto-resume option for when you close the app with a comic left open.

And if you have the problem where comics don't get detected, restart the device and they'll show up. I've been told it's the result of a system issue, and I'm actively exploring alternatives
not had a look at many comic book apps yet, just a 1 i think that let u read erm, stips of garfield and a few others, looks like a good app, must admit i dont even know the file formats supported, deffo gonna take a look and find out tho.

Any chanec of somehow supporting sites that have already got content and your frontend/UI uses their resources? sites with a ready abundant supply to read.

few examples

Free Digital Comics | Digital Comics | Comics | Marvel.com
Manga Fox: Read Manga Online for Free!
Read Manga Online for Free. Online Manga Reader
Kids Comics, Webcomics, and Manga | Kidjutsu - Comics for Kids
WOWIO: Search Results

think theres a hefty few more out there, it give people something to read at least till they add their own stuff.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2011, 08:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
joedisaster's Avatar
 
Posts: 422
jason I've been waiting for this app since you mentioned it in 09. With a touchpad on the way I can finally use it. Thanx for all your work glad you're stickin around a bit.
joedisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2011, 08:15 PM   #45 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
not had a look at many comic book apps yet, just a 1 i think that let u read erm, stips of garfield and a few others, looks like a good app, must admit i dont even know the file formats supported, deffo gonna take a look and find out tho.

Any chanec of somehow supporting sites that have already got content and your frontend/UI uses their resources? sites with a ready abundant supply to read.

few examples

Free Digital Comics | Digital Comics | Comics | Marvel.com
Manga Fox: Read Manga Online for Free!
Read Manga Online for Free. Online Manga Reader
Kids Comics, Webcomics, and Manga | Kidjutsu - Comics for Kids
WOWIO: Search Results

think theres a hefty few more out there, it give people something to read at least till they add their own stuff.
None of those websites have developer APIs for 3rd party devs like myself.

In addition, I believe someone has a Manga app, and there already is a free web-comics app called "Comics HD".

ComicShelf, on the other hand, is designed for a full-on comics experience for the primary fileformat of cbr/cbz.
__________________
If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2011, 08:25 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Ok, so answer and many questions as I can:

I'm not gone from webOS yet. I have more webOS apps in-the-works, including a ComicShelf update. In the update, I want to have thumbnail view of the comic covers, and an auto-resume option for when you close the app with a comic left open.

And if you have the problem where comics don't get detected, restart the device and they'll show up. I've been told it's the result of a system issue, and I'm actively exploring alternatives
Awesome, restarting it solved everything, thanks for the quick response.

Looking forward to the auto-resume function too!
Poopyfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 02:00 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
None of those websites have developer APIs for 3rd party devs like myself.

In addition, I believe someone has a Manga app, and there already is a free web-comics app called "Comics HD".

ComicShelf, on the other hand, is designed for a full-on comics experience for the primary fileformat of cbr/cbz.
then i shall look into those, as their new to me, cheers for the info.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 12:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 31
I love this app, but the restart thing is driving me bananas!!!
slicetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by diaper84 likes this.
Old 08/22/2011, 05:10 PM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 11
love this app.
having to restart is a drag but I know fix will be coming so no problem.
btw it would be nice to have an option of showing two pages at a time, all the time or just in landscape mode.
diaper84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 10:59 PM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 10
will probably be the first app I purchase once I get my touchpad
hxh103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 10:59 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 81
So I dumped about 15gb of comics onto my wife's HPTP(Still deciding on what to call the thing, HPTP or Ouchpad or Touchsad). Anyhow, after I put the comics on I restarted and some of the comics weren't in the folders. The folders were there but not the comics. If I clicked on the folder it wouldn't even let me exit out, I'd have to close the program. I plugged the unit back in to my PC and was able to open the file from the Touchpad so it's there and it does work. I just can't figure out why they aren't showing in the program and why the program doesn't give a back or previous folder option. I've been using your program for just a couple days and I've really been enjoying it. My wife has enjoyed it more but she's had more time to read on it where I've been getting everything set up. These touchpad's are great, I come up with names for it just because of the HP debacle in handling them but the product is definitely solid. Many thanks for the program, 2 copies at a total of $4 seems like a steal. -Steve
yeahbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 11:04 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 81
Upon further inspection(I was working on it in between working on my last post) it appears that the files are actually listed, but somehow they are listed higher up on the screen?! What in the world? I figured it out when I was setting it down and the screen rotated and there they were! So weird but an easy enough way to handle it until the issue gets figured out(or may already be). Just a heads up as to what I'm experiencing to make it easier to update. -Steve
yeahbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2011, 02:44 AM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2
This is a nice app, but I have one heartfelt request:

When viewing a comic in ComicShelf HD, I notice distinct jaggedness to fine lines. When viewing the same image in the touchpad's picture viewer, everything looks much smoother. I realize some people may not want that smoothness, but images look much better in the picture viewer to my eye. Is there any way to increase the smoothness (via aliasing or a better shrinkage/rendering algorithm) and remove those jaggies? (The images I'm using are like 2000x1000 in size, so it's definitely an issue with shrinking, not expanding, an image.)

Edit: Upon looking at some more of my comics, some appear better as ComicShelf HD renders them, some appear better as the picture viewer renders them. So I guess there's not right answer -- but it would still be nice to have an option to modify smoothness/sharpening.

Thanks!

Last edited by milford; 08/23/2011 at 03:51 AM.
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2011, 08:06 PM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 3
Hi Jason,

Yes I know I bought my touchpad if the firesale and so my expectations should be low, but I was quite happy to discover that there was a genuine cbr reader for the TP as I am an avid comics fan.

I did go to the app store to buy Comicshelf HD only to get the error message that this application is not available for your country! The TP only went on sale here last monday (15/08/11) so is it simply a time factor and it will be coming in the next few weeks? Or not at all?

If I can't have it does any wise head out there have an alternative suggestion?
Gezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2011, 09:12 PM   #55 (permalink)
NSA
Member
 
NSA's Avatar
 
Posts: 76
Question for Mr. Robitaille... is there any way to code in support for a Bluetooth keyboard? I'd love to be able to use the arrow keys or spacebar or return to skip to the next page (I'm lazy!).

As far as I can tell none of the keyboard buttons interface with ComicShelf HD.

Thanks!
NSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2011, 11:01 PM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1
Is there any chance of getting .zip or .rar support for non-cbr files? I have a lot of manga and comics that I would love to be able to read on one app. That would be a great add-in feature!
shadow17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SuedeGopher likes this.
Old 08/24/2011, 01:20 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 20
What a wonderful app! I'm entirely thrilled with it. Two bucks seems like too little, so I just donated a few bucks more.

I'd originally purchased a TouchPad in the hopes of installing Android, but now that I've found ComicShelf HD I'll likely keep WebOS. Great stuff!

One request: Is there any way to hide the menubar / status bar at the top of the screen? The one where the time, app name, battery, wifi, and other icons are displayed? I'd love to have that little bit more screen space to dedicate to comics.

The Kindle app manages to do away with it, so it must be possible somehow. Is there a setting to hide it somewhere, or is it something Jason would have to change in the app's code?
sofauxboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by yeahbowen and NSA like this.
Old 08/24/2011, 01:26 AM   #58 (permalink)
Legend
 
Jason Robitaille's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofauxboho View Post
What a wonderful app! I'm entirely thrilled with it. Two bucks seems like too little, so I just donated a few bucks more.

I'd originally purchased a TouchPad in the hopes of installing Android, but now that I've found ComicShelf HD I'll likely keep WebOS. Great stuff!

One request: Is there any way to hide the menubar / status bar at the top of the screen? The one where the time, app name, battery, wifi, and other icons are displayed? I'd love to have that little bit more screen space to dedicate to comics.

The Kindle app manages to do away with it, so it must be possible somehow. Is there a setting to hide it somewhere, or is it something Jason would have to change in the app's code?
I figured the touchpad screen was big enough people wouldn't mine. But yea, I can add that as an option for the next update. However, you'll need to be a bit patient for that, as I've got 2 apps I wanna finish up before workin on the update
__________________
If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sofauxboho likes this.
Thanked By: sofauxboho
Old 08/24/2011, 02:15 AM   #59 (permalink)
NSA
Member
 
NSA's Avatar
 
Posts: 76
Another quick question (to go along with the Keyboard idea!), is there a way to set the background to black instead of the dark gray (through options?). Most of the comics I have don't take up the full space (gray bars on the left and right) when viewing vertically. I think a black background would look nice against the black sides of the TP.

Thanks!
NSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by yeahbowen likes this.
Old 08/24/2011, 02:18 AM   #60 (permalink)
NSA
Member
 
NSA's Avatar
 
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
And if you have the problem where comics don't get detected, restart the device and they'll show up. I've been told it's the result of a system issue, and I'm actively exploring alternatives
Had this happen again today, I wasn't messing with the comics but I added some other files via USB, disconnected properly (through Windows) and comics seemed to be showing correctly. Did a "luna restart" and comics stopped showing up. Did a FULL restart and they showed up again.
NSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0