Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuser-Invent View Post
    I figured out your problem with the Silent Hill comics. Only the first issue is correctly archived. The rest of them have a folder directory inside the .cbr or .cbz archives and then all the pages are inside that folder.

To fix the problem you need to rename the file extensive to .zip or .rar, depending on what type it is. Extract the archive. Go into the folder that you just extracted and select all the pages. Re-archive those pages as a .zip or .rar and then rename the file extension to .cbr or .cbz.

An easy way to remember which is which extension: .cb(z) for .zip and .cb(r) for .rar.
    Thanks much! Will try to see if that makes a difference!
  2.    #522  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill801 View Post
    Afraid the 1.3.0 update is giving me fits. I too am having the black pages issue. Usually after I read a page or two I will get the message "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd service is not running" and the page will go black. The only way to recover is to exit the app and go back in, where the problem will immediately return.

Turning off the option to display thumbnails seems to alleviate the problem.

Rebooted multiple times, deleted the app and reinstalled but problem remains.
    I am on WebOS 3.0.4.

Any thoughts?
    try in this order: uninstall, device reboot, reihnstall. That should bring the service back to default original state
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Do you guys think it's worth it to install the new firmware, with the new issues? I don't want to if it introduces further problems. I just want the ability to read my larger comix.
    The fixes that 3.0.4 brings far outweighs any quirks it may have... I'd suggest updating.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The fixes that 3.0.4 brings far outweighs any quirks it may have... I'd suggest updating.
    Newman, I meant the new Comicshelf update.....there have been some posts that comics turn to black after some time.
  6.    #526  
    Just a heads-up, I've setup this thread for discussion of comic books: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...iscussion.html Stop on by and weigh in on what comics you read/recommend
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Jason, I'm afraid the new update still does NOT allow me to load the 226-page comic that was working just fine 2 updates ago.

I did just as you suggested:
    1. I deleted the program
    2. I rebooted
    3. I downloaded and installed the new program

When trying to load the 226-page comic, I get this error message: "commandTimeout in ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service"

I am close to just giving up and forgetting this program, unfortunately.

Also, after getting that error, I tried again and got "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd is not running'

After that, I tried to go to SOFTWARE MANAGER to erase the app, and the circle just spins and spins and does not even load any of the app list.

Furthermore, I did a hard reset of the Touchpad, then deleted the Comicsheld HD app and did another hard reset. The app was still there.
    Last edited by TouchMe79; 11/17/2011 at 05:58 PM.
    This is going from bad to worse. Now, NO comics are opening now and the program sometimes does not even load.

A complete disaster, at this point.

I had to do a hard reset and then, the smaller comics will load. I tried again to load the larger comic and after that, no other comics will load, regardless of size.

So, I had to do another hard reset to get the smaller comics to load again.

I know Jason has worked hard on this program but it is very obvious that it has major issues and is buggy as anything. A real shame....
    Last edited by TouchMe79; 11/17/2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchMe79 View Post
    This is going from bad to worse. Now, NO comics are opening now and the program sometimes does not even load.

A complete disaster, at this point.

I had to do a hard reset and then, the smaller comics will load. I tried again to load the larger comic and after that, no other comics will load, regardless of size.

So, I had to do another hard reset to get the smaller comics to load again.

I know Jason has worked hard on this program but it is very obvious that it has major issues and is buggy as anything. A real shame....
    You could just extract the comic files in your large comic and break them into two or three seperate .cbr or .cbz files. What comic is it?

It sounds like you might be having other issues besides just ComicShelf. Maybe not, but you might benefit from using the WebOs Doctor.

Did any of the other suggestions help you get the Silent Hill comics working?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuser-Invent View Post
    You could just extract the comic files in your large comic and break them into two or three seperate .cbr or .cbz files. What comic is it?

It sounds like you might be having other issues besides just ComicShelf. Maybe not, but you might benefit from using the WebOs Doctor.

Did any of the other suggestions help you get the Silent Hill comics working?
    The comic in question is the 226-page Crumb Handbook. Was opening just fine 2 updates ago....is now completely unreadable and will not open. Just get the timeout errors, etc.

I had almost never used the Touchpad for anything other than Comic Shelf....I spend most of my other computing stuff on my PC. All I've done is install the latest Comic Shelf firmware and the WebOS firmware.

I sure wish Jason would make the old firmware available from 2 updates ago....that was the last version to work well, at least for me. The last 2 updates have almost completely rendered the program useless, in my opinion. Way too buggy, slow, and problematic. And judging from the 'reviews' lately, many would seem to agree with me.

Some of these issues may also have to do with the latest Touchpad firmware and how well it plays with Comic Shelf. I have no idea....I'm no programmer.

As for Silent Hill, I'll be honest....I've been so frustrated with the issues of Comic Shelf, that I've stopped using the program....will probably just look for a reader on my PC and look at them there.
    TouchMe79: I was able to have it open my 285pg batgirl comic on the 2nd try. Haven't had the black screen issue, haven't had the issue with being slow or buggy or not showing/reading comics. I haven't been using the icon display on it either. I think your touchpad just has to much taste to open a Crumb comic Honestly though, I think you may want to take the advice of others and just run the doctor and then do whatever updates you want and then put comicshelf back on because it sounds like you have a different issue. And giving up on this program? And use what? Hahaha, I'll give Jason credit, he has the webos market cornered for cbr/cbz readers but he STILL improves the thing constantly! If all else fails just change the file extension from cbr to rar or cbz to zip, unpack the thing and then make two files out of it. Hopefully you don't have tons of giant files, I only have a handful near 200mb. Best of luck!
    Did a search for WebOS Doctor in the app catalog and found nothing.

Where can you find it?

My Touchpad has very little on it...have no idea how it would have any problems other than what I have experienced with Comicshelf. I don't do very much on it, really.

All I have done is install the HP WebOS updates and the Comicshelf updates.

Like I said, the 226-page comic was working just great before the last 2 updates from Jason.

Thanks....
    Last edited by TouchMe79; 11/18/2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Great app. I have a couple of feature requests:

1. remember last page opened in a file
    2. "jump to page" functionality (type in the page I want) because I have CBZ files with 100+ pages and scrolling through the page selector is tough
    Quote Originally Posted by pmaeT1eixol View Post
    Great app. I have a couple of feature requests:

1. remember last page opened in a file
    2. "jump to page" functionality (type in the page I want) because I have CBZ files with 100+ pages and scrolling through the page selector is tough Click to view quoted image
    Click to view quoted image
    pmae: if you close the program it will remember the comic and page you were on when it opens again. Doesn't work if you open another comic first though unfortunately. Jump to page works when you have the bar at the bottom of the screen with the red x, in the middle are page numbers. Press that and scroll to the page you want and press it and there you are.
    Did a search for WebOS Doctor in the app catalog and found nothing.

Where can you find it?

My Touchpad has very little on it...have no idea how it would have any problems other than what I have experienced with Comicshelf. I don't do very much on it, really.

All I have done is install the HP WebOS updates and the Comicshelf updates.

Like I said, the 226-page comic was working just great before the last 2 updates from Jason.

Thanks....
    TM79: Even though there isn't a lot on there things can get screwed up. I do tech support for PC's and after a complete recovery I have seen computers have internet explorer missing even though it should be just like it was out of the box. There really isn't a way for that to happen so you just assume it's a bad image and get new recovery discs. Point being that sometimes stuff happens that doesn't make any sense on electronics. Since you seem to be having more issue than anyone else I think other peoples webos doctor makes sense. It's not in the app catalog, here is a direct link to the hp/palm page with all the info you will need. Let us know if it works. Palm Support : TouchPad (Wi-Fi) - Using HP webOS Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbowen View Post
    I realize I'm not Jason but I can answer #2 for you.
    2) You can rename the .cbz to .zip or the .cbr to .rar and then unpack it, find where the files were unpacked(un-zipped) and then repack them using less files into multiple pieces. Say you have a 600pg comic/manga just unpack it and then repack at 50-100 pages each. That will make everything a lot faster and work a lot better. Hope that helps.
    I was able to rename the .cbr to .rar and then unpack it, but packing it back is an issue. It packs it as .rar file. How do I get it to be a .cbr file again?
    Please disregard.....I figured out you just have to rename the file to .cbr after packing it. It opens well.

Unfortunately, turning Thumbnail Mode on no longer works. Even after restarting the Touchpad, thumbnails no longer display at all.

Oh well....at least I can break down the Crumb comic into smaller pieces.

Thanks very much. At least it is somewhat manageable now.

Another issue I am having, though, is when you just sit there with the program open and don't do anything for awhile, you get the program 'is not running' error. After that, it will not open anything and you have to reboot the TP to get things going again.
    Last edited by TouchMe79; 11/18/2011 at 06:27 AM.
    In addition to the other probs:

I tried opening 'Zombie Recorded Attacks' (about 180 pages long) and it times-out.

Again, after a comic times out, the program is basically non-functional until a reboot. I try opening a smaller comic after a time out, and it opens BLACK. This is consistent with other problems users are having.
    In addition to the other probs:

I tried opening 'Zombie Recorded Attacks' (about 180 pages long) and it times-out.

Again, after a comic times out, the program is basically non-functional until a reboot. I try opening a smaller comic after a time out, and it opens BLACK. This is consistent with other problems users are having.
    I can understand the frustration. "Recorded Attacks" didn't work for me either, but if you break it into two .cbr comics instead of one, it works fine. Also its available in ebook formats which you could read in pReader.

If you are moving to a desktop comic reader, I'd suggest CDisplay EX if you are on a PC. That's what I used to use before I got my Touchpad. I just didn't read as many comics then because I didn't really like reading them on my laptop.
    Thanks for the info, Fuser. Good insight, as always!

Pretty frustrating that these huge comics can open just fine on my iPhone with Cloud Readers, but my tablet with 32GB and better processing can't open them. That's pretty sad.

I have about 26 of the 32GB free on my Touchpad, so I am not clogging it up with stuff. The TP will occasionally get very slow though, for whatever reason. I am not sure what is causing it to be slow. It always slows up after ComicShelf times out, for whatever reason. I sometimes have to do a hard reboot after the program starts to time out, because it seems to affect everything else.

I am no programmer, but I am curious if the latest WebOS updates for TP have anything to do with my issues. Like I said, before the latest 2 ComicShelf updates and the latest WebOS firmware, everything was silky smooth.