Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes
  1.    #461  
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchMe79 View Post
    Jason, I'm sorry to say....I'm just not having much luck.

I uninstalled.....rebooted....and reinstalled. The 226-page comic that used to load within 60 seconds or so (before your latest update) is now not loading at all. The circle just spins and spins and I get the same error as before: "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhdservice is not running."

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's going to work for me.

A real shame....as this was a good looking program.

PLEASE try to come up with a fix....as the program is just not working at all for me right now.
    oh, if the issue is coming from a large comic, that's a known issue and part of the tradeoff to get usb mode working properly again. I'm working a fix for a future update though A workaround in the meantime is to split large comics into smaller ones
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    oh, if the issue is coming from a large comic, that's a known issue and part of the tradeoff to get usb mode working properly again. I'm working a fix for a future update though A workaround in the meantime is to split large comics into smaller ones
    Aaah ok, I see. Maybe if I revert to the old settings (no thumbnail), maybe it might work for larger comics again?

I look forward to the next update....thx.
  3.    #463  
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchMe79 View Post
    Aaah ok, I see. Maybe if I revert to the old settings (no thumbnail), maybe it might work for larger comics again?

I look forward to the next update....thx.
    thumnails are wholely separate from the large comic issue. The issue is the service is timing out before the large comic can finish extracting the comic files, so separating into smaller comic archives will avoid the issue altogether

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

thumnails are wholely separate from the large comic issue. The issue is the service is timing out before the large comic can finish extracting the comic files, so separating into smaller comic archives will avoid the issue altogether
    You're right...tried w/o thumbnails and still got the same issue.

One other troublesome problem is that one folder is only displaying one of the comic thumbnails and the rest in the folder are all hourglasses. And if you stay in that folder for a minute or so, you get the familiar program 'not running' error message. Seems something is hanging up/locking up. Strange, because when I click on the hourglass symbol, the cover art appears...as the file itself opens.

Hope these issues can be solved with the next update!
    Jason....2 questions.

1. Is there any way for me to revert to the old firmware, so I can go back to reading large comic files? I'd rather have that ability than the thumbnail options, etc.

2. You mentioned suggesting breaking up the large file. How does one break up a 780MB CBR/CBZ file?

Thanks...
    I realize I'm not Jason but I can answer #2 for you.
    2) You can rename the .cbz to .zip or the .cbr to .rar and then unpack it, find where the files were unpacked(un-zipped) and then repack them using less files into multiple pieces. Say you have a 600pg comic/manga just unpack it and then repack at 50-100 pages each. That will make everything a lot faster and work a lot better. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbowen View Post
    I realize I'm not Jason but I can answer #2 for you.
    2) You can rename the .cbz to .zip or the .cbr to .rar and then unpack it, find where the files were unpacked(un-zipped) and then repack them using less files into multiple pieces. Say you have a 600pg comic/manga just unpack it and then repack at 50-100 pages each. That will make everything a lot faster and work a lot better. Hope that helps.
    Thanks...will definitely give that a shot. It's just frustrating because the comic (a large Robert Crumb work) was opening just fine before the update and now it won't at all.

I wish Jason would make the old firmware available somewhere as a download, just in case users would like to revert to it. I highly prefer the old firmware, cause it let me open anything, regardless of size.
    The issue with the large files wasn't a trade off for the thumbnails, I think it was a trade off for not having to reboot the touchpad every time you connected it in USB mode. It used to be that connecting in USB mode would make the comics directory not show up. From his previous post it sounds like he's working on a fix for it but just hasn't gotten one yet. For now, quit reading R. Crumb and you'll be happier
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbowen View Post
    The issue with the large files wasn't a trade off for the thumbnails, I think it was a trade off for not having to reboot the touchpad every time you connected it in USB mode. It used to be that connecting in USB mode would make the comics directory not show up. From his previous post it sounds like he's working on a fix for it but just hasn't gotten one yet. For now, quit reading R. Crumb and you'll be happier
    Yeah, Crumb IS pretty twisted... But that's why I love him.

I understand the tradeoff decision, but personally, I'd rather have a little bugginess and still maintain the opportunity to read all my comics, regardless of size. To me, having a little more hassle is worth it over not being able to open a comic at all. But that's just me. I greatly look forward to the next FW update.
    I'm guessing it was either unexpected or it was the "5% of users will have comics big enough to error out vs. 100% of users who will have to restart the TP every time they connect to a PC in USB mode". I know if you check the reviews the restarting thing was getting some serious flak. Makes for an easy decision that way. I have a few that are fairly large(around 200mb) but it seems to be able to load them after an error or two. Looking forward to Jason getting done with the semester so he can finish all his little projects. =)
    I hear ya....I'm sure it was not an easy decision. And I do realize most comics are not huge files, like my 780MB behemoth. It's nearly 230 pages long and sometimes took a couple of minutes to load, even on the old firmware.

I have to say, I admire Jason for being in touch with the fans this way. It's very cool to have direct influence on a program's growth and makes you feel in touch with the Touchpad (pun intended). When all the bugs are worked out, this will be an amazing program.
    congrats on pivot. Bought this to show support although don't have any digital editions of comics
  13.    #473  
    Good news is I may be able to squeeze the big-files fix into the upcoming read/unread system update Just tried a 58MB copy of the complete SpiderMan One More Day saga and although it took 7 seconds, it didn't timeout thankfully. Anyone able to point me towards any large 100MB+ sized comics to try out?

batgirl barbara gordon archives vol 1 is 196mb, vol2 is 171mb, daredevil visionaries frank miller v2 is 152mb, don't have a link, just sorted my files by size. Hope that helps. So far I can open the batgirl v1 4 of 5 times without issue.
    Good news is I may be able to squeeze the big-files fix into the upcoming read/unread system update Just tried a 58MB copy of the complete SpiderMan One More Day saga and although it took 7 seconds, it didn't timeout thankfully. Anyone able to point me towards any large 100MB+ sized comics to try out?
    Here's a 651 MB Crisis on Infinite Earths HC Hi-Res comic file:

Get Crisis on Infinite Earths HC (1998) (Hi-Res) (Minutemen-TheKid with Dizzy).cbr on Wupload.com
    Jason....this is awesome news...thanks! I can try to pass along my 780MB file to you somehow, if need be.

I know some people have reported occasional success with some large files, but my 780MB file has never opened under the new firmware. Have tried 6 or 7 times.
    CBR is a zip file full of pictures, so you could winzip to drag and drop in more pictures to make a big zip file.
    yeahbowen likes this.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    why is there no option for fit width with scrolling? I bought a tablet for the bigger screen and by default I lose part of the screen this defeats the purpose. I don't like that I have to boot into android every time I want to read some comics.
  19.    #479  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz86us View Post
    why is there no option for fit width with scrolling? I bought a tablet for the bigger screen and by default I lose part of the screen this defeats the purpose. I don't like that I have to boot into android every time I want to read some comics.
    I recommend you read the previous pages. it's due to design issues with the builtin webos component and is scheduled to be addressed in a future update

Hey Jason, will the new patch have a fix for the pages jumping backwards and locking up at random?