Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes
    thats ok, you have made a hell of a lot of cool changes! its faster, pics for the comics, etc.

MAIN THING: i have got a great comic reader on the TP

you can just fix whatever bugs and *make background black ?? if possible

thanks, know you worked hard on this! its awesome. you can only do what Palm allows. if you find a hack, sweet! if not i wouldn't go creating my own image viewer

time to go read some comics!
    Encountered a few bugs.

Some files still won't load that did in the previous version, instead the file is stuck in the loading process. If you have the auto resume setting engaged and try to close the program and restart it, it will return to that file and try to load it again, even if you do a device reset. If you wait long enough (the time seems to vary) the error "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running" will appear and you can hit the "close" button and return to the menu page. This error seemed to happen more often to my larger files, 100 or more pages, but did originally happen with a small 30 page file. This does not include the one file that was actually corrupt, which comicshelf immediately notified me that it was corrupt.

Personally, I like the auto resume function but won't be using it because of what happen. Is it possible to have a bookmark function in a future update? Also is it possible to have a "quit loading" function in a future update to stop a comic mid-loading and return to the main menu?

Originally after the update, none of my thumbnail were loading or even trying to load until I did a device reset because of what happen above. I'm not sure if this related, but my touchpad froze up during that restart, so I ended up having to do a hard reset to get back up and running.

Speaking of the thumbnails, they look great on the shelf, but is it possible to have the file names be one or two lines longer? Long named comics like "Uncanny X-Men ###" all turns into "Uncanny X-M..." making it hard to tell what issue it is.

Other than that thanks for the hard work on this app and still the best app I got on my touchpad
  3.    #323  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3FLi View Post
    the error "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running"
    In most cases, this error means the service either overloaded or crashed. Meaning you'll need to restart the device to turn it back on.

Other than that thanks for the hard work on this app and still the best app I got on my touchpad
    Ideally I'd have it restricted to 2 lines, but using CSS is either truncate at 1 line or show full name wrapped
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    bnyd likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    In most cases, this error means the service either overloaded or crashed. Meaning you'll need to restart the device to turn it back on.
    So far I haven't needed to restart comicshelf HD or my touchpad once "ca.canuckcoding.comicshelfhd.service is not running" appeared. Instead I was then able to tap "stop" and continue with a different comic.

Ideally I'd have it restricted to 2 lines, but using CSS is either truncate at 1 line or show full name wrapped
    Would it be possible to make that a setting, to either have 1 line or show full name wrapped?
  5.    #325  
    Good news: I've just submitted v1.2.1 to the Palm for review. Here's the official changelog:
    - Thumbnail shelf view is now an option that needs to be enabled on the Settings popup
    - Can no longer erroneously go outside the comics directory
    - Scroller resets to the top on directory change
    I've also added a notice when you enable thumbnail view, that it's performance intensive when creating thumbnails, experimental, and best when used with folders with less than 50 comics each.

For the record, there are people besides myself who have been getting thumbnails working fine (several have thanked me via twitter and email today), so if you're reading this thread for the first time, don't think it's a broken feature for everyone. However, as some have issues, my 1.2.1 update disables the feature by default; best of both worlds for now

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Jason,

Thanks for submitting such a quick update, these minor bugs fixes should help a lot with the feel of the app. Didn't mean to sound like I was complaining too much yesterday, just wanted to inform you of the bugs so you could get them ironed out.

This is definitely my favourite app on the TP, and having sorted out some of my filenames and repairing some of my rar /zip files, things are now working a lot better anyway. Your tweaks should make things just about perfect!

Thanks again for all you hard work.
    Encountered a few bugs.

Is it possible to have a bookmark function in a future update?
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    This is definitely my favourite app on the TP
    This as well. It's the only app I've installed where I haven't said, "Crap...I spent my money on this?" The simple fact that it has active support and wasn't just thrown out there and abandoned is huge.

For the record, there are people besides myself who have been getting thumbnails working fine (several have thanked me via twitter and email today), so if you're reading this thread for the first time, don't think it's a broken feature for everyone.
    Just for the record, in case it got missed, I eventually got the thumbnails to work nearly perfectly (one or two folders can't seem to find one, but that is the exception, not the rule.) Aside from the canuck error and tap-to-turn, I'm not having any issues at this point, and love the new features. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks everyone who said I need to tap in the center of the screen. Works now so I am much happier as a result. Don't know why I tapped everywhere but the center last night.

Jason: In regards to what you said about the Palm SDK and fit-to-width, what about the possibility of programmatically setting the width of the image? what I mean by that is, is it possible to say "if background is #FFFFFF or #000000 then render width of page beginning and ending from first pixel that is not either colour" ? This way you aren't saying "Palm make it so" but rather "I calculated, Palm, please render at these specified dimensions I have given you". I'm curious to know!

Thanks.
    For the record, there are people besides myself who have been getting thumbnails working fine (several have thanked me via twitter and email today), so if you're reading this thread for the first time, don't think it's a broken feature for everyone. However, as some have issues, my 1.2.1 update disables the feature by default; best of both worlds for now
    QFT as they say. I'm quite happy with the new version knowing that there is a limitation for sizing built in to the SDK. Thanks, Jason!
    Thanks for the quick update.

For those experiencing problems with thumbnails, try a device reset. Worked for me.

Good news: I've just submitted v1.2.1 to the Palm for review. Here's the official changelog:
    - Scroller resets to the top on directory change
    Could you please explain what this does? Does it return to the top of the directory if the files is stuck in the loading phase, instead of giving you the Canucks error msg?
  11.    #331  
    Could you please explain what this does? Does it return to the top of the directory if the files is stuck in the loading phase, instead of giving you the Canucks error msg?
    The Canucks error message is a lower level message the webOS system sends out when the service is unreachable (implying any number of possible problems). The specific changelog part you're referring will just that the scroller resets to the top, when you change a directory; so listings should no longer be off the screen.

Hi Jason,

Just noted one other thing - not a bug i don't think. On the app store you have 4 images showing what the app looks like, in the 4th image there a pull down menu, with options such as email comic, page otion, save page, Print etc etc.

However I dont think those options appear now as you have gone full screen? The only option menu I can see has settings and about. I also see once in a comic, email and wallpaper , just thought you should know.

Probably just need to change that image in app store...
    Last edited by Thorien; 10/05/2011 at 11:59 AM.
    Yep definitely doesn't like me having 2 folders with over 500 comics in each. A restart of the TP made the folders I have with less than 20 load the thumbnails quickly. Now however I just attempted to go into the amazing spiderman folder and it locked up my TP had to force a restart. Coming back the first thing I did was turn switch views and it's still running super slow it doesn't even want to load the list right now. Went from somewhat acceptable speed to uselessness with this new update, hopefully the quick fix you came up with improves otherwise I'll have to find the older version and change back to that. For being the only comic reader at least you're making a constant effort to improve your product and not just stealing our money. Thanks for the effort.

*edit*

Yep, now after having to force restart my TP about 4x times now I think I'm going to have to hope on the quick fix working. It pretty much locks up my TP now, I can open and close the launcher screen but if I click on any app it does nothing.
    Last edited by Silveradoguy85; 10/05/2011 at 12:54 PM.
    Thank you Jason from firesale family of 2 TPs; my kids love them for games, coloring, books & everything, I like tweaking 'em (Uberkernel & various patches) and CoMiCs. My favorite of your newest upgrades is the single tap anywhere on the 20% side to go to the next page.

I've only used this new version in one sitting and want you to know that my main comics folder has 42 cbr/cbzs in it, and only the first three shelves of thumbnails (14 covers) showed up after only about 20 seconds, then I've not seen more than hourglasses on the rest for a few hours. I get the "service not running" error every few minutes but am still able to continue reading the comics after tapping past the error message and haven't been forced to restart the program. I have restarted the device and the program a few times, still no more thumbnails on the lower shelves. Toggled to list view and back to thumbnails, no change. Not sure what else I could tell you about this to maybe help suss out the situation, hope you can fix it.

I've got some other suggestions I'll type in a near future post. Thanks again!!
    Hey Jason,

Great looking app. Any chance you would consider creating a PdfShelf HD?

The built-in Adobe Reader is good for smaller pdf documents, such as pdf email attachments that are a few pages long, but for longer docs it falls short. It doesn't have thumbnail view, auto-resume, page-turning by swiping, and it doesn't allow for document management in folders, etc.

The Kindle app is nice, but it only supports .mobi and .azw.

I have the need for a pdf reader that has the features of your ComicShelf app:

- Thumbnail shelf view to easily open pdfs
    - Multitouch pinch-zoom and panning
    - Quickly hide controls for fullscreen viewing
    - Intuitive layout optimized for the TouchPad
    - Able to change page by swiping left or right
    - Auto-resume option to continue reading where you leave off

I would gladly pay for an app like this! Wadda ya say?
    I love this app almost as much as I love CoMiCs.

Three big wishes.

1. I wish there was an option to never show the top & bottom / title & control bars until I tap in the center of the screen. Every time I open a comic first thing I do is tap the middle of the screen to shoo those bars away & see the whole page as I flip through the book. Come to think of it, I wish the bars would appear for a few seconds on each page, only so I could glance at the 'page x/x' counter to know if I'm nearing the end, and then automatically disappear until I tap for it.

2. I wish changing pages would -always- 'slide' across the screen, like it does when you swipe to go to a new page. My peeve is that sometimes my single tap to change pages doesn't register, not sure if it's just my fingers or the app (I do have the latest sensitivity patch), and the screen just sits there, so I lose a moment wondering...is it going to change? But worse is not knowing if I'm on the last page and I tap 3 or 4 times before realizing. When I swipe left on the last page, it starts to slide over then slings back so I know it's time to tap center for the control bar & the red x button. I wish the slide-sling would happen also when I tap on the right side of the screen on the last page of the book...

3. ...BUT actually what I wish here is for an option to automatically start into the next book after the end of the current one. Now, it takes me many taps to get to the next book. When I reach the last page (and finally realize it), *tap1* to get the control bar, *tap2* to X out of the book, *tap3* to open the next book, *tap4* to shoo away the bars.

So I guess my ideal upgrade would have toggle settings/buttons for "disappear control bars 3 seconds after page loads" & "automatically open next book after end of current book", and always show the slide motion to move changing pages regardless of whether I swipe or tap.

I know you said you'd like to start doing frequent small updates now; hope I gave you some things to consider soon, between school & other apps - is it you I'd request to get landscape on Internalz?

Any 'hear hear's from fellow users? ;-)
    yep, same problem here. Since the upgrade TP just freezes. I do have a lot of comics over 1000, but I'm going to try to break them down in subfolders of 50 and try to run it again.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    ----------------------------------------
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be, unnatural"
    Yep definitely doesn't like me having 2 folders with over 500 comics in each. A restart of the TP made the folders I have with less than 20 load the thumbnails quickly. Now however I just attempted to go into the amazing spiderman folder and it locked up my TP had to force a restart. Coming back the first thing I did was turn switch views and it's still running super slow it doesn't even want to load the list right now. Went from somewhat acceptable speed to uselessness with this new update, hopefully the quick fix you came up with improves otherwise I'll have to find the older version and change back to that. For being the only comic reader at least you're making a constant effort to improve your product and not just stealing our money. Thanks for the effort.

*edit*

Yep, now after having to force restart my TP about 4x times now I think I'm going to have to hope on the quick fix working. It pretty much locks up my TP now, I can open and close the launcher screen but if I click on any app it does nothing.
    yep, same problem here. Since the upgrade TP just freezes. I do have a lot of comics over 1000, but I'm going to try to break them down in subfolders of 50 and try to run it again

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    ----------------------------------------
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be, unnatural"
    Quote Originally Posted by arachnoman666 View Post
    I do have a lot of comics over 1000, but I'm going to try to break them down in subfolders of 50 and try to run it again
    I am such a comic noob...
    Thanks so much Jason! I'm on 1.2 and thumbnails weren't rendering at first, but popped right up after restarting the device.

I've gone ahead and tossed you a small donation as promised when I initially requested the full screen feature. Just a little something to say thanks.

I've been traveling extensively since buying my TouchPad, and have spent tens of hours in ComicShelf HD. I love it! At $2 it's the best deal I've gotten since I bought my TouchPad.