1.    #1  
    I'm just curious but why do I have to download 500+ mb of files just to run these two programs? I'm on dial up out here because that's all there is and this NOT an appealling prospect. Is there any way around it, or if not could someone at least explain to me why the full sdk and doctor are needed for this? I'm not tech illiterate (just new to this platform) so the heavy worded explanations are appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by raithe View Post
    I'm just curious but why do I have to download 500+ mb of files just to run these two programs? I'm on dial up out here because that's all there is and this NOT an appealling prospect. Is there any way around it, or if not could someone at least explain to me why the full sdk and doctor are needed for this? I'm not tech illiterate (just new to this platform) so the heavy worded explanations are appreciated.
    You don't need to. I'm guessing you're reading outdated instructions.

For the most current instructions currently, see the WebOSQuickInstall section here: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  3.    #3  
    Ah ok. I was searching for Hard links because to use with the download manager because I can't even make it through the Novacom download in one shot (this about my seventh try) That lead me to the standalone installers and their instruction sets.
    Thanks.
    I'll keep plodding away at Novacom and hope it succeeds eventually. How big should it be? I make it to 4-5 mb before it times out (or whatever its doing its not very informative) Is there a static link somewhere I can pull it from?
    Last edited by raithe; 06/30/2011 at 10:14 AM.
    on the website he posted scroll down until You see this and start from their :

Latest Version of WebOS Quick Install available here: WebOS Quick Install v4.2.0

1) Do not believe any guide that says you need to download the SDK or webOSDoctor for WOSQI to run. The most you'll download is the novacom driver, which is only 11MB on Windows, and will be done via WOSQI.
    So I don't need the sdk but I do need the 2 200mb doctor files? (one for my pixi plus and one for my pre 2 which is en route) correct? Well that's a few hundred saved anyway. 26 hours instead of 40. OK now if I can ever get the NovaCom driver to actually finish downloading in one go I'll be ok.

Still though I'm really just curious from a design standpoint why the Doctor is needed just to allow the remote installation of files.
    You don't need the doctor nor the SDK. Older versions of WOSQI needed it, but that hasn't been the case for a while now.

The most you'll need to download will be the 11mb novacom driver and that's a one-time download (for Window machines). And if you're on Mac or Linux computer, it'll only be 50-800kb one-time download.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

6.    #6  
    Ack replies before I finished my edit, see above. 11mb ok. sorry for the dumb question. static link to novacom for Windows 32 bit (My nix box is in pieces atm) would still be appreciated as I can't seem to get QI or the standalone Novacom installer past 5mb
    Ack replies before I finished my edit, see above. 11mb ok. sorry for the dumb question. static link to novacom for Windows 32 bit (My nix box is in pieces atm) would still be appreciated as I can't seem to get QI or the standalone Novacom installer past 5mb
    unfortunately, there is no static link. WOSQI dynamically extracts and downloads the drivers from the online webOSDoctor. To manually get the installer, you'd need to download a whole webOSDoctor (200mb+), open it in an archive manager and extract the .msi from /resources/ subfolder.

8.    #8  
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the help. Okay going to sit till my legs numb and read forum posts so I can get a handle on this platform now. Where'd I put my deep forum survival gear and bag of breadcrumbs?
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the help. Okay going to sit till my legs numb and read forum posts so I can get a handle on this platform now. Where'd I put my deep forum survival gear and bag of breadcrumbs?
    Welcome to the world of webOS. Enjoy your device.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  10.    #10  
    Well looks like I just have to download the full doctor with a download manager because I've been trying and restarting QI nonstop for hours now and still won't finish downloading the Novacomm installer. The highest it ever got was 7 megs once, the rest of the time never more than five then the transfer would time out, or drop, or whatever and I'd have to start all over again. That server is one seriously stingy beast.