Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I'm in an interesting situation regarding the future of Internalz and Internalz Pro.

Currently, there's Internalz, a Mojo app designed for phones on the App Catalog. And then there's Internalz Pro, basically the same with with some homebrew extras, and thus in the homebrew gallery.

But now things are getting more complicated.

As Enyo is replacing Mojo, I'll be leaving a separate unmaintained Mojo release of Internalz Pro 1.5, called "Internalz Legacy". That way, as I move forward, at least webOS 1.4.5 users won't be left stranded.

And with tablet, due to a factor of reasons, I'll probably end up releasing a separate "Internalz HD" for the TouchPad.

However, with the move from Mojo to Enyo, I need to step back any look at the way in which Internalz interacts with homebrew side of thing.

One of the several options I have in mind is this: leave Internalz Pro 1.5 (aka "Internalz Legacy") as the last pure homebrew release. Then keep Internalz and Internalz HD as App Catalog releases. And if a user has FileMgr installed, those App Catalog releases would be "unlocked" so to say, and have the homebrew bonus features (full-device file-browsing, ipk installer, patcher, etc.).

The advantage would be a much simpler release format. Plus, a more uniformed userbase. Unfortunately the vast majority of Internalz Pro users have never bought the App Catalog version. Some just went with Internalz Pro because it was free, others because Internalz Pro had the extra homebrew bits. If I were to continue with fully separate "Pro" releases, the fragmentation would get even worse.

Of course, that's not the only option I'm thinking about, but it's one of the ones I'm seriously considering, and could be controversial, I wanted to publicly post about it before deciding on anything.

So what do you guys think? I want to stress nothing has been decided yet and the above idea is simply that, an idea.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    appsotutely likes this.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I say it's time to leave the 1.45 version behind. Frankly, I don't like the HD tagline on tablet apps. Wish there was a way to just have Internalz and it auto detects if you have a tablet, it will install tablet version. Phone, it will install phone version.

If HP lets you have Internalz in the App Catalog, I say awesome. And it's worth the money. The point was for Homebrew to graduate to the Catalog. And with HP and their support, these apps can. Which is awesome. So I say, let File Manager be an unlocking to the gritty stuff. But for the most part, let us buy Internalz. I know I would and will.
    I would prefer a version in main catalog, maybe for like 99 c so that we can pay for your time as well as affordable. Can FileMgr also be a app cat download? Thanks for all the great work. Plus leave the 1.4.5 version behind and available in homebrew. I say just concentrate on Enyo and 2x right now.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I am one of the ones who purchased Internalz from the catalog, but use Pro for the additional features.

I think the idea of having only an App Catalog release that can be 'unlocked' by file manager is a great plan. If I'm able to get a TouchPad, I'll be buying Interlanz HD for sure!
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I would prefer a version in main catalog, maybe for like 99 c so that we can pay for your time as well as affordable. Can FileMgr also be a app cat download? Thanks for all the great work.
    Don't think FileMgr can. It probably uses undocumented code and gives way too much access for a consumer app/extension. Leave that part in Homebrew.
    Your idea in the OP seems like a good way to handle it. It keeps the HB crowd happy, and aggregates more of us (myself included) to throw some more money your way!

Speaking of which, I need to give you more of my monies...
    you can also follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/coveredwagonkid
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    I say it's time to leave the 1.45 version behind. Frankly, I don't like the HD tagline on tablet apps. Wish there was a way to just have Internalz and it auto detects if you have a tablet, it will install tablet version. Phone, it will install phone version.

If HP lets you have Internalz in the App Catalog, I say awesome. And it's worth the money. The point was for Homebrew to graduate to the Catalog. And with HP and their support, these apps can. Which is awesome. So I say, let File Manager be an unlocking to the gritty stuff. But for the most part, let us buy Internalz. I know I would and will.
    Just to clarify if I messed up the wording in the original post, Internalz is already on the App Catalog and has been for several months now. But that's the Mojo 2.x-only release. As Enyo requires webOS 3.x, I'll want "Internalz HD" as a separate app (so 2.x users don't get cut-off).

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

sounds right to me..oh and thank you for having us legacy users in mind...i use internals pro quite a bit to move photos from folder to folder among other things..best app hands down...again Thank You Jason
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I would prefer a version in main catalog, maybe for like 99 c so that we can pay for your time as well as affordable. Can FileMgr also be a app cat download? Thanks for all the great work. Plus leave the 1.4.5 version behind and available in homebrew. I say just concentrate on Enyo and 2x right now.
    FileMgr service would stay homebrew for its jailer-less usage.

Currently Internalz is $3.99, but with the release of Internalz HD, I'll be lower the price to $2.99. Keep in mind all the built-in goodies, like a fully functioning text editor, that alone could cost more than that from other devs.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I like the idea of an App Catalog version that "unlocks" if homebrew components are present. Anything that keeps fewer versions out there is probably a good thing, as I see it.
    treodoc755 likes this.
    You have to be paid for your work. Internalz HD should be a paided for app in the catalog. If HP has embraced you the way they have, then you are a valued member of the app catalog. I got the Pro version for the extra homebrew bits but I donated as soon as I saw how many different packages I used from the homebrew. Maybe a free "lite" version, but only as a teaser. My Pre Plus is clearly being left behind at 1.45 with no updates for most of the catalog in weeks. You can't even buy a legacy device anymore without using E-Bay or some other secondary market. Any one who buys that way isn't going to pay for anything anyway.
    I think your idea is good. Have Internalz and Internalz HD in the catalog that would have special features unlocked with homebrew (filemgr).

You've got everyone covered. 1.4.5 and 2.x users could still use Internalz legacy, while folks running devices with Enyo could get the deluxe app catalog versions.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 06/27/2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    "I say it's time to leave the 1.45 version behind"

WHAT! Just how many non 1.4.5 users are out that compared to us "legacy" folks? That needs to be understood first. Beyond that I (obviously a "legacy" user) love the homebrew app and have FileMgr. AND - will get a TouchPad and likely a Pre3. AND - the point of the post - would immediately and gladly buy the app version if it was under $4 or so. It's just important to me to support this kind of work. You are fantastic, Jason.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Your plans sound great to me! I'm still on 1.4.5 so I haven't bought Internalz from the catalog, but would definitely not mind doing so. It's featured enough to warrant a pricetag, and as long as that FileMgr-unlocks-more-features thing works then I am happy! (need my full access and IPKG installs!)
    I think your idea in the original post sounds good Jason. I'm also contemplating on getting a tablet (and if I do, I'll buy the HD app).

Get paid for your work. You seem to have all the versions covered from 1.x.x to 3.x.x. Eventually, if i were you I'd slow down somewhat on the 1.x.x only because the legacy users will start to dwindle down as newer devices are eventually released which means either they will leave Sprint or just get an Android device. Give yourself some breathing room. Lol

Thanks again for all your work in this community Jason. You're huge reason as to why I still have my Pre.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I think it sounds like a fine plan. I use the homebrew for the extras, but would be glad to use catalog versions, since I have FileMgr to unlock them. Then you won't be so fragmented, but will have everyone covered.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I"d definitely support moving to the paid model with unlockable pro features.
  18.    #18  
    Oh, and just to paint a clearer picture, this would be the Internalz rollout/transition order:

• Internalz v1.1 released for webOS 2.x devices and Internalz Pro 1.5 released for webOS 1.x-2.x devices (around the same time)
    • Internalz HD 1.0 released for TouchPad devices with homebrew features if FileMgr is installed
    • Wait some time until Enyo comes to phone devices then...
      • Internalz Pro 1.5 becomes Internalz Legacy for webOS 1.x-2.x users
      • Internalz gets updated (will probably get version-bumped all the way up to v2.0) completely for phone-sized Enyo with homebrew features if FileMgr is installed

19. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Excellent plan. Now, build a Dropbox app that integrates with Internalz, and I'll be a happy camper.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    I say it's time to leave the 1.45 version behind
    I disagree entirely. Some of us "legacy" users are not legacy users by choice. In Canada, for instance, there is still no word on whether Bell Mobility or Rogers is going to get the Pre3 and who knows how long we are going to have to wait for that and/or whether we are going to be forced to change carriers in Canada. So, please, do not forget the legacy users!

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I think your idea is good. Have Internalz and Internalz HD in the catalog that would have special features unlocked with homebrew (filemgr).

You've got everyone covered. 1.4.5 and 2.x users could still use Internalz legacy, while folks running devices with Enyo could get the deluxe app catalog versions.
    I frankly like the idea of an HD version. I intend to purchase the TouchPad upon release in Canada (July 15!) and I think apps should be specifically designed with the big screen in mind. This 2x business does nothing for the user experience. I will happily pay for both the phone version and the tablet version. I don't get what's the big deal with paying for a different version of the app when you are gettting something in return, i.e. the same general app but redesigned for the big screen. That is a plus in my books and I am willing to pay a premium for it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast