webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > Ipkg Feed Generator v1.0
Ipkg Feed Generator v1.0
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Robitaille

Old 05/12/2011, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

This started out as a personal project, but I figured I'd release it publicly as I know a lot of people could find this handy.

It's a very basic and very fast java program that creates ipkg feeds, for use by programs like WOSQI and Preware.

Just put the jar file in a directory with the ipk files. Then run the jar and a it'll generate proper "Packages" and "Packages.gz" files.

No interface or configuration needed. Just run it and within seconds the feed files will be generated. It's just that simple

One great usage is putting ipk files in a Dropbox public folder. Just run the jar from inside that folder and you'll have your own personal feed for use in WOSQI and Preware.

Oh, and on a technical side, for those curious, it looks through the ipk's control file for the package info, and if it's detected that the ipk was made via palm-package, then it'll parse the appinfo.json to fill in any missing information.

Download Here

Project is MIT open source licensed, available at ipkg-feed-generator - Ipkg Feed Generator - Google Project Hosting

Change Log
v1.0.0 - May 12, 2011
- Initial release

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by michote likes this.
Old 05/12/2011, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very cool! Why hasn't Palm hired you yet?
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanks Jason!
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Just set up my own feed on my webhost, added it to Preware, downloaded and installed my own patch (packaged as ipk).

This will make things so much easier!
Old 05/12/2011, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Jason, this is great.

I have been looking for a solution to easily install apps from my PC to my Pre, without a usb cable. The cloud-service apps (i.e. dropboxify, zumodrive, etc.) all seem to require that you first download the app to the device, then hunt it down with Internalz to install.

This looks like a better alternative. By the way, any progress with your dropbox app, or has that fallen by the wayside?
huladaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Just set up my own feed on my webhost, added it to Preware, downloaded and installed my own patch (packaged as ipk).

This will make things so much easier!

How do you setup your own feed to use with preware? I'm trying to setup a private beta test and I would like to give my testers a custom feed so they can update via preware.
GMTesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2011, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTesta View Post
How do you setup your own feed to use with preware? I'm trying to setup a private beta test and I would like to give my testers a custom feed so they can update via preware.
I made a folder on my PC with one of my patch IPKs and IpkgfeedGenerator.jar. I ran Jason's jar and it made two new files (Packages and Packages.gz).

I made a new folder on my webhost and uploaded those two Packages files and my patch ipk. Let's say they're in
Code:
http://webos.choorp.com/feed/
In Preware, I added this new feed:
Name: garrett
URL:
Code:
http://webos.choorp.com/feed
Is Compressed: Yes

I don't think the name you use matters... lol
Old 05/13/2011, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanks Jay!!
Old 05/13/2011, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
I don't think the name you use matters...
You will want it to be unique.

Some people name their testing feeds the same as the main feeds and then submit bogus error reports about things not being in the feeds cause they've clobbered the main feed by overwriting it with the testing feed contents.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2011, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
You will want it to be unique.

Some people name their testing feeds the same as the main feeds and then submit bogus error reports about things not being in the feeds cause they've clobbered the main feed by overwriting it with the testing feed contents.

-- Rod
Name being? Link?
Old 05/14/2011, 03:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hi Jason... I've just add my feed on dropbox, but Preware doesn't want see it!!! What is the link for preware? ex. "http//dl.dropbox.com/u/******/feed" ???

EDIT: Just solve!
DMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 02:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hey Jason, had a few questions. How do you set a description that would show up when you browse the app in Preware? Also, is there a way to set the feed so some apps are only available for the Touchpad in Preware, sort of how some packages say it's not available for 2.1?
Old 08/25/2011, 10:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
Hey Jason, had a few questions. How do you set a description that would show up when you browse the app in Preware? Also, is there a way to set the feed so some apps are only available for the Touchpad in Preware, sort of how some packages say it's not available for 2.1?
Preware has MinWebOSVersion, MaxWebOSVersion and DeviceCompatibility support in the package metadata.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Grabber5.0
Old 08/27/2011, 11:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Cool, thanks Rod.
Old 09/19/2012, 04:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

I just wanted to bump this thread to point out that this little utility is becoming more and more handy to me as some apps become hard to find when restoring from Preware's saved packages list.

Thanks!
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 03:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

This could be a very handy program indeed.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Funny I've been looking for this for over two years (June 2010) and somehow missed this thread! Someone just linked to it in the TouchPlayer thread.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2014, 09:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Is it still possible to make this work with a Dropbox folder? I am asking because I cannot get it to work and I am starting to think it is no longer possible:
If I set up a shared folder it has a specific adress, along the lines of https://www.dropbox.com/sh/abc/xyz - but while the 'abc' remains the same for the links to all files within that folder, 'xyz' changes, along with each files individual name.

If anybody runs his/her own feed using dropbox, I would appreciate your advice on how to set it up properly.
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0