Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm happy to announce my comic book reader app, ComicShelf is now available on the App Catalog. In fact, it's the first cbr/cbz reader for HP webOS.

Just put your cbr/cbz files inside /comics/ folder in the USB drive area (aka /media/internal/comics/) and ComicShelf will detect them.

And although it wasn't advertised, both Internalz Pro and Internalz have special ComicShelf integration, and attempts to open cbr/cbz files in either program will open them directly into ComicShelf

Features:
    • Fully supports cbr and cbz file formats
    • Multitouch pinch-zoom and panning
    • Quickly hide controls for fullscreen viewing
    • Intuitive webOS gesture page control
    • Optional auto-resume support
    • Share pages via email or MMS
    • Wallpaper setting support

Get it here: ComicShelf | Palm webOS Applications

NOTICE: For webOS 2.x only, sorry. This app does not include any cbr or cbz files. You'll need to get those yourself.

Also, if you have any issues, please contact me before leaving a 1-star review (already had 1 person do that ). ComicShelf has been extensively tested by myself and my testers and none of us have encountered any bugs. Chances are if you find something, it'll be easily fixable or possibly user error.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Thanks Jason!! This is awesome.
    Wish Marvel would let me d/l the files so I could read on the phone.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    I do not have 2.0 or any files, but when I get 2.0 and some files this will be sweet!
    if i want to make my own cbr/cbz files.. what resolution and image file type should i have them at??
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    if i want to make my own cbr/cbz files.. what resolution and image file type should i have them at??
    Any resolution at or below 1200x1200px and it supports png, jpg and bmp image types. Hopefully that won't be too difficult
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 03/24/2011 at 05:36 PM.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Any resolution at or below 1200x1200px and it supports png, jpg and bmp image types. Hopefully that won't be too difficult
    Sweet!.. Now I ahve no excuses NOT to make em

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    oh, pre-

Quote Originally Posted by The_King_Adrock View Post
    oh, pre-

there is solution to that I got pre- with 2.1, just follow forum, great people here will guide you
    I know I already said so on Twitter, but great work, dude!

Already purchased and left a review.

Quote Originally Posted by The_King_Adrock View Post
    oh, pre-

It runs great on my Sprint Pre- that has been meta-doc'd to 2.1.

It's up to you to take that step, but I can say that I'm very happy with my decision to do it.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Also, if you have any issues, please contact me before leaving a 1-star review (already had 1 person do that ).
    hey. It was me...sorry, i'm going to change it, after phone restart it sees my files.
    is it possible that landscape view will fit the screen from left to right, dont have to this on every page.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Great app, thank you! I have been looking for a CBR reader for over a year now. Best new app in a long time.

I do have a couple of feature requests, though.

First, maintaining the zoom level would make it much more convenient. The screen is much to small to read text on when viewing the whole page. Once I set the zoom level to be optimal for the text size, I would like to be able to read the rest of the issue that way.

Second, a set of zoom options might be nice. For example, in landscape mode, I would like to option to always fit width instead of fitting the whole page. For many comics, this would eliminate the need to pinch-zoom at all. In portrait, an automatic quarter-page zoom would also eliminate pinch-zooming for me.

TIP: For those of you using Comic Rack on your PC, it has the ability to batch-convert the resolution and format of comics. So, you can select a whole range of issues, select a lower resolution for the Pre, select a new folder for the lower-res copies, and in a couple minutes, all your files are ready for your phone. I tried loading a super high-res issue, and it brought my Pre- to its knees.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    FYI - I had the same problem as the one-star review. I deleted an in-progress comic, and it's folder. When I restarted ComicShelf, it gave a "File does not exist" and "Folder does not exist" error.

That's fine, because they didn't. The problem is, it wouldn't see any newly added comics, either. It just said "No comics found in comics folder," or something to that end. If I launched the comic from Internalz, I got a "File does not exist" error from ComicShelf. I gave up and restarted the phone, after which ComicShelf saw everything properly. I'm not sure whether a Luna restart would have worked, but I'd rather not bork things again to find out.

UPDATE: So, I encountered the same issue again. This time, I deleted one file that was NOT being read in the root of "comics", and I added files in a subfolder. I did not delete any folders. Still, ComicShelf said nothing was found in the comics folder. A Luna restart did NOT fix it, meaning a full phone restart is required. It's a bit of a pain having to restart every time I add files. It's a 5 minute process, or so. Since Internalz sees it fine, I would imagine this is a small error that could be fixed quite easily.

FYI - I am running 2.1 with Uberkernel on a Sprint Pre-.

Just a performance note: Resized to 960x640, the software loads new pages really smoothly, and the images look crisp and clear. JPG seems to load faster than PNG. Haven't tried BMP, because I cringe at the file size. I am still going to tweak to find the best quality and performance balance, and then I'll post my ComicRack export settings for anyone who's interested.
    Last edited by hegemon13; 03/25/2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Encountered file detection issue again
    First off, great app. Worth the $3 I spent. Second, I agree with hegemon13:

Quote Originally Posted by hegemon13 View Post
    I do have a couple of feature requests, though.

First, maintaining the zoom level would make it much more convenient. The screen is much to small to read text on when viewing the whole page. Once I set the zoom level to be optimal for the text size, I would like to be able to read the rest of the issue that way.

Second, a set of zoom options might be nice. For example, in landscape mode, I would like to option to always fit width instead of fitting the whole page. For many comics, this would eliminate the need to pinch-zoom at all. In portrait, an automatic quarter-page zoom would also eliminate pinch-zooming for me.
    Nice job!
    -Dan
  14.    #14  
    Yea, I suspect the file detection issue is deeper than expected and I'll be making a special a few logging tweaks and will be testing out to try and figure out the issue. I myself am unable to reproduce the issue, which is making things way more difficult. Interestingly, it seems to only affect a small # of users, so perhaps you guys have something in common. If ya have the issue, could ya please tell me what device you're on, what OS version, and any custom kernels ya have.

And in regards to zooming requests, I personally do agree wholeheartedly. However, ComicShelf uses the standard ImageView widget and so setting zoom is not possible. In fact, ImageView widget limits high resolution (as least from tests), so I had to make special accommodations to get around that issue.

For future versions, I am thinking of making my own image viewer code. That would be a larger undertaking, but would allow more flexibility for things like zoom and other potential features.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am using a Sprint Pre-, WebOS 2.1, Uberkernel w/ Screenstate 1000/500. The computer that I am transferring files from is running Windows 7. Also, I usually don't bother to turn off developer mode. Could that be an issue?

I will say this: I have a strange issue with Windows XP and my phone. If I connect to XP in mass storage mode, I can only transfer 1 or 2 files before the computer stops reading data from my phone. The phone still appears as a mass storage device in My Computer, but shows up as empty and unwriteable. I don't know if these issues could be related.
    I too have the nonexistent file error. A reboot fixes the problem as well. I am using an Sprint Frankenpre Plus with 2.1 running uberkernel
    Could the problem be tied to just first time use? I can't reproduce the issue now either and it only happened when I first installed; I had .cbr files already on the device but I had to reboot my phone before it recognized.

Also, I recently got a pre 2 and it doesn't seem to have the issue. I had files on the device when I first installed and haven't had any issues.

Both phones were on 2.1 on sprint
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hegemon13 View Post
    I am using a Sprint Pre-, WebOS 2.1, Uberkernel w/ Screenstate 1000/500. The computer that I am transferring files from is running Windows 7. Also, I usually don't bother to turn off developer mode. Could that be an issue?

I will say this: I have a strange issue with Windows XP and my phone. If I connect to XP in mass storage mode, I can only transfer 1 or 2 files before the computer stops reading data from my phone. The phone still appears as a mass storage device in My Computer, but shows up as empty and unwriteable. I don't know if these issues could be related.
    I believe you had the same problem I had...both on an SFR Pre Plus and now on a Pre 2 GSM unlocked dev device. I used the "Optimize for Performance" solution in the thread below and it worked for me (usually).
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...fied-file.html
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    1. I've already had the "file does not exist" error, trying to open from within Internalz. Frustrated, I went to ComicShelf directly, but it told me that the directory was empty (can't remember the exact wording).

The curious part about this is, I have the Comics HB app as well, so I already have a folder called Comics (not comics, I thought Linux was case-sensitive?), and there is already a sub-folder called "icons" for the thumbnails of the various comic strips. Although the first time I opened ComicShelf (but had no CBR/CBZs loaded yet) I saw this sub-folder. However, when I did the above and got the empty directory error, this folder was nowhere to be seen (but still there!).

Anyway, a device reset fixed the issue.

2. A little suggestion: When comics are opened within Internals, I supposed only that scene is generated, so using a back gesture does nothing (only minimizes card). Perhaps think about including a button or way (forward gesture?) to re-open the main page of the app?

3. Is there a max size limit? I have a 189 page CBR, but only the first 7 pages open, and the rest give me little x's. I've tried skipping ahead, but no dice. I was viewing directly after the device reset, so I don't think it was memory issues.

Update on 3: I re-started the app and reloaded the CBR and I was able to see the whole 189 pages finally.
    Last edited by Goyena; 04/15/2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Haven't seen an update yet. Did this project get put on the back-burner?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast