Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Doggone it, after actually sitting down to watch the videos, I started to see choppiness as well. So I did what Warlord had suggested a few pages back: take the mplayer binary use in the initial build and replace the Wrapper's mplayer binary. Presto! Together with the modified command line that Jason just incorporated (I think it was "-vf scale", but no "-fs") it works better. My avi's (divx) play smoothly and my WMV's once again have audio.

Mplayer (the binary itself) has continued being developed, and between the two threads in the forum, you can find three different versions. As Jason posts above, none were coded by him - he's done the hybrid wrapper around giving us a nicer GUI.

Concretely, I did this:
    1. install chomper.app.mplayer_1.0_armv7.ipk found here
    2. install Jason's Mplayer Wrapper from Preware
    3. Use Internalz (or whatever) to go to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/chomper.app.mplayer/, tap on the file "mplayer" and choose copy. Copy to /media/cryptofs/apps/use/palm/services/ca.canucksoftware.mplayer/bin/ (feel free to overwrite existing "mplayer"; it's easy to install. You can also rename the original file before this step in order to conserve it)
    4. reboot device to be sure (especially if you've used the wrapper recently)

This is the setup that works best for me! YMMV Please check my device's specs in my .sig below. Apparently Warlord is running a Pre - with F105 and had no problems with the mplayer binary used in Jason's wrapper.

Related questions for devs: If use an app, then switch out a binary as above or modify one of its .jsjsjs $files$, $then$ $restart$ $the$ $app$, $I$'$ve$ $found$ $that$ $the$ $changes$ $won$'$t$ $be$ $taken$ $into$ $account$ $unless$ $I$ $reboot$. $What$ $kind$ $of$ $reboot$ $is$ $best$? $Luna$, $or$ $java$ $service$, $or$ $device$? $Does$ $garbage$ $collecting$ $help$? $Does$ $WebOS$ $eventually$ &$quot$;$forget$&$quot$; $the$ $app$ $and$ $reload$ $it$ $without$ $a$ $reboot$? $After$ $how$ $long$?

THANKS!

Note: Just wanted to add that in addition to "smooth" playback, I can zap around in the file using keyboard shortcuts ("A" and "D") without losing A/V sync, and even open several video windows at a time. I'm on 2.1 so I can stack the videos - take that, Playbook! For some reason, I couldn't do that with the choppy build.

Update: Just crashed my Pre trying to take a screenshot of my stacked videos. Ah well.
    Last edited by Goyena; 03/30/2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel.chris View Post
    I was very excited to see this new wrapper for Mplayer for WebOS.

I uninstalled the old (jason/chomper) Mplayer & GUI, and installed Canuck Coding's Mplayer & Wrapper.
    I checked the mplayer-assistant.jsjsjs $file$, $and$ $it$ $does$ $have$ $the$

var exec = mplayer + " -fs " + " -vf scale"
    I just checked: Jason's Wrapper's last version (1.0.2) doesn't have the "-fs" option (fullscreen), which isn't needed anyway (see above post by Jason). What version you got?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    I just checked: Jason's Wrapper's last version (1.0.2) doesn't have the "-fs" option (fullscreen), which isn't needed anyway (see above post by Jason). What version you got?
    Hmmmm.... I'll have to double-check.

Looks like I am running 1.0.2 of Jason's Wrapper.

I must have been troubleshooting too quickly last night.
    There is just " -vf scale" in the var exec command.
    No " -fs" option.
    I probably misread something, or I may have been thinking of the config file....
    Oh well.

I have both chomper and jason's (wrapper) builds installed right now.
    (I tried chomper's build just now, and it runs my videos very smoothly.)

I'll try copying the mplayer file from the chomper directory into the canuckcoding directory.

I'll report back with my findings.
    I copied the mplayer file from chomper's build to jason's wrapper.

Well, I'm stumped.
    Chomper's build runs my videos silky smooth, where jason's wrapper....not so much.

I double checked the mplayer file that was copied to the jason's wrapper folder. It is a bit smaller than the one that was installed with jason's wrapper, so I know I copied chomper's mplayer build correctly.

Now I'm simply confused.
    Same binary, but drastically different performance playing the same video file.

Time to dig into chomper's Mplayer config file?

I'm thinking that it has to be a configuration difference between the two.

Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Did you reboot?

Concerning the config files - there are none! Correct me if I'm wrong, even though both threads are full of how to create and setup one, but both installs (chomper/rod and jason wrapper) don't use one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Did you reboot?

Concerning the config files - there are none! Correct me if I'm wrong, even though both threads are full of how to create and setup one, but both installs (chomper/rod and jason wrapper) don't use one.
    Yup, I did reboot each time after installing any of the Mplayer builds, but before launching Mplayer.

From what I can tell, you are correct on the config files. There is one in chomper's build, but it's blank.

I love the launcher on Jason's wrapper, but chomper's build runs so much better!

If anyone is wondering, I'm running a US Sprint Pre "minus".
    Palm WebOS 1.4.5.
    I was running the latest UberKernel, but am now trying F105.

I wish I was as experienced and familiar with Linux as I am with Windows...
    Although I am learning, slowly but surely.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for further developments.
    Fairly late to the party on all this, apologies.

Thanks Jason, great work getting a usable UI onto mplayer.

I am running a stock unlocked Pre2 with 2.1, and have been testing playing back an ogg vorbis on both mplayer apps.

Chomper mplayer
    - cons: ui makes it very difficult to select a file to play and app closes after finishing playback
    + pros: smooth playback no jumps or choppiness

Wrapper mplayer
    - cons: jumps and choppy throughout the audio track playback (whether at 1Ghz or 300 Mhx or 600/800 makes no difference
    + pros: webOS ui, easy select of track, persists beyond playback.

I think my experience correlates much of the issues you had with the video playback, although I have not noticed much difference between the small number of short video files I have. They tend to perform the same, and I have issues with the source files that prevent their display on both apps but plays on PC. So I don't want to raise that on here its probably more to do with mplayer than webOS.

So it seems that the service approach is putting slightly more stress on or fighting for resource more.
    I've got a couple of Govnah screenshots for one then the other with the device running the same apps (i.e. I had both mplayers running but only one of them playing back in both tests) to be as true a comparison as possible. I get the jumping/chopping with only the mplayer wrapper running too though.

Will keep an eye on thread for further testing.

Thanks everyone especially Jason for moving this forward again - great effort!!
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
    To update i tested the avatar.avi test file trailer and this was slightly choppy at couple of points on the mplayer wrapper versus the chomper. if we can work out just why the service is causing it to play in this way hopefully we'll be able to get a usable evolution that can handle playlists and multiple file playback. nice work.
    ___
    My Palm PDA history: m130 > Tungsten T > Tungsten T|X > Pre 2 > HP Pre 3 (unlocked)
    My Mobile history: Nokia 5146 > 3110 > Samsung D900 > N73 > Nokia 6300 > Pre 2 (convergence!) > HP Pre 3
    My Tablet history: HP TouchPad 32Gb (model A - 1st gen)
    I click on MP4 file video but nothing... why? What can I do?
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    chomper install very slow playback. 1-2 frames a sec.

with ubuntu (ompldr.org/vNnY0NA/mplayer) build mplayer file installed in chomper folder. Creamy smooth video playback. excellent.

the jason wrapper ver. studdering video playback choppy sound.

with ubuntu (ompldr.org/vNnY0NA/mplayer) build mplayer file installed in jason wrapper ver folder. studdering video playback choppy sound.

all results running uberkernel at 1ghz.
    VZ pre+ 1.4.5
    xvid movie file, 480x272 pixels, 300mb per hour compression with mp3 128kbit 2channel audio. originally made to run smooth on Palm t|x core player.
    You should check out KalemSoft Media Player and Streamer. It works smoothly on my original Pre w/o overclocking. Also, it supports many video formats. Check it out at this thread.
    Hi,

Very nice work. I'm only missing a control to change the film's aspect ratio... I've searched this thread with no luck, so I guess its not implemented (or is it?) O8-)

Thanks!
    Hi,

I've been playing some files here on a Pre2 & MPlayer 1.02 from the repository. Info has been taken from Gnome file properties:

Working fine:
    -AVI, 512x368, DivX MPEG-4 Version 5, 30 fps. Audio MP3 stereo 44100 Hz 96 kbps
    -AVI, 720x404, XVID MPEG-4, 25.00 fps. Audio MP3 stereo 44100 Hz 132 kbps
    -MPEG v1, 352x240, 30 fps, 635 kbps. Audio MPEG 1 Audio, Layer 2, stereo 44100 Hz 64 kbps
    -FLV, 320x240, H264 codec, 30 fps. Audio mpeg-4 AAC, stereo 32000 Hz

Not working fine:
    -very slow video playback; audio also a bit slow: FLV, 720x416, On2 VP6/Flash codec, 25 fps, audio MP3 44100 Hz 128kbps
    -cannot reproduce video (video displays wrong), no audio: WMV v9, 580x326, 25 fps, 1311 kbps. Audio WMA v8, stereo 44100 Hz 66 kbps

Hope that helps
    Getting "Error Not permitted to send to ca.canucksoftware.mplayer." when it starts. Also, /var/log/messages:

Code:
    2011-05-11T05:45:23.367492Z [619] palm-webos user.crit ls-hubd: {ls-hubd.public}: ERROR: "ca.canucksoftware.mplayer" permissions does not allow inbound connections from "ca.canucksoftware.mplayer" (requester pid: 1617, requester exe: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr" requester cmdline: "/usr/bin/LunaSysMgr -s")
    2011-05-11T05:45:23.669982Z [619] palm-webos user.warning activitymanager[1519]: [activitymanager.resourcecontainermanager] No container currently mapped for [BusId appId:ca.canucksoftware.mplayer]
    I seem to be having similar trouble with any of Jason's apps, but everything else runs fine on this Pre. Anyone have any clue?

Configuration: Franken-Pre 2, (sprint) stock Kernel, 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by quini View Post
    Hi,

Very nice work. I'm only missing a control to change the film's aspect ratio... I've searched this thread with no luck, so I guess its not implemented (or is it?) O8-)

Thanks!
    I believe that in the original configuration the key "C" can switch between different video aspect ratios.
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    Getting "Error Not permitted to send to ca.canucksoftware.mplayer." when it starts.
    Had the same problem. Have you restarted your device or at least JAVA after installation? That resolved it for me.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    Had the same problem. Have you restarted your device or at least JAVA after installation? That resolved it for me.
    Many times... I've uninstalled/installed more times than I can count trying to figure out what's not right. WebOS is definitely a lot more complex than it used to be!
    Quote Originally Posted by titanman1 View Post
    I believe that in the original configuration the key "C" can switch between different video aspect ratios.
    That's it! I had tryed all keys, but I pressed "c" only once (I should have pressed it at least twice to see changes in the aspect ratio)...

Thanks!
    Just a little update to warlord9159's background tweak.

As of v1.02 you can edit the /stylesheets/mplayer.css file to add the background image.

Under --> .backdrop{
    after --> background-color:#a7a7a7;
    add--> background-image: url(../images/mplayerbg.png);

Note that I changed the directory for the image file to just ../images/ rather than ../images/icons/

Background should change after a luna reset.

Thanks to warlord9159 for the sweet background images and to Jason for the nice wrapper!
    If you choose to change the font color to a lighter shade like warlord9159 suggested, do this:

Same file
    Under --> .nameLabel
    after --> word-wrap:break-word !important;
    add --> color:#adadad;

Again, after a luna restart, the font should be light.

If you use a lighter color background, you might consider leaving this out to stick with black font.

Anyway, looking forward to any future updates... Thx
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast