webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > Universal Novacom Installer (UNI) v1.3
Universal Novacom Installer (UNI) v1.3
Like Tree27Likes

Old 03/12/2011, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

Users of WebOS Quick Install have noticed the Novacom driver installation system was completely renovated with WOSQI v4.04.

It supports Windows (32bit and 64bit), Mac OS, and Ubuntu (32bit and 64bit). Note: webOS 2.x drivers for Ubuntu have yet to be released, but if history repeats itself, chances are we'll see that come out once the 2.x SDK comes out publicly.

This lets you dynamically download the current Novacom drivers or extract and run the drivers from an existing webOSDoctor file, if you have one downloaded.

Download: https://github.com/JayCanuck/univers...3.jar?raw=true

Source: https://github.com/JayCanuck/univers...acom-installer

Changelog
========
v1.3 - August 22, 2012
- Many various fixes

v1.2.1 - July 2, 2011
- Updated to fix a bug where reinstall attempts on Windows could fail if novacom.exe was missing

v1.2.0 - July 1, 2011
- Updated to use the new webOS 3.x drivers
- Updated to use a new dynamic format to determine webOSDoctor URL, and Linux driver URLs

v1.1.1 - March 20, 2011
- Updated to use new 2.x drivers for Ubuntu

v1.1.0 - March 12, 2011
- No longer needs to download the whole webOSDoctor
- Takes very very little time to download the drivers now

v1.0.0 - March 12, 2011
- Initial release

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 03/05/2013 at 10:56 AM.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by copasetic, GreenHex and maninwhitecoat like this.
Old 03/12/2011, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Nice simple app Jason. Great job! (and open source too!)

webOS Application Engineer, Appstuh

sprw for Twitter
Voice Memos
arthurthornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2011, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Legend

New build now out. The new v1.1 doesn't download the whole webOSDoctor, only the compressed driver files.

In fact, on windows, it only took 6% of the old version's download time to download the novacom drivers. That's massive speed increased. I'll be integrating this new faster driver installation format into WOSQI 4.1.

v1.1 - March 12, 2011
- No longer needs to download the whole webOSDoctor
- Takes very very little time to download the drivers now

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Liked by copasetic likes this.
Old 03/12/2011, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Being an Ubuntu user, I've rarely had any problems with getting novacom installed and working correctly, but I know that a lot of people have had all sorts of problems. I suspect this will make life MUCH easier for a lot of people. Kudos.
VeeDubb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by copasetic and bebepalm like this.
Thanked By: copasetic
Old 03/13/2011, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

This is a great idea. Thanks Jason!!
Bazirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2011, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Users of WebOS Quick Install have noticed the Novacom driver installation system was completely renovated with WOSQI v4.04.

Inspired by PuffTheMagic's novacom driver app, I've decided to take my novacom driver installation code and put it in a small standalone app.

It supports Windows (32bit and 64bit), Mac OS, and Ubuntu (32bit and 64bit).
Has anyone worked out a way to get Pre 2 novacom drivers for Ubuntu from official public sources? The doctors don't have Linux drivers, and the only officially released linux drivers I can find are the 1.4.5 ones which will not connect to a Pre 2 device.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2011, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

so this explains why my pre connects to wosqi but my pre 2 does not on Ubuntu. (no device found)
Old 03/13/2011, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Has anyone worked out a way to get Pre 2 novacom drivers for Ubuntu from official public sources? The doctors don't have Linux drivers, and the only officially released linux drivers I can find are the 1.4.5 ones which will not connect to a Pre 2 device.

-- Rod
Yea, for that matter, why is the 2.0 SDK still private. Hopefully Palm remedies the situation soon. They really don't have any excuses left why the NDA is still up.

Old 03/13/2011, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks this was quick & simple
draztikrhymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2011, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for this utility. It helped one of my users install the "media permission" IPK (that you also created).

One thing they noted was that novacom wouldn't work unless installed on the default drive (which for them is the C: drive). You may want to note this in the first post in case someone else comes across this issue.

Twitter: @Hedami
DanPLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2011, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sht. This would explain why Ubuntu doesn't see my 2.1 pre+ after a day of trying to get it to work.
I feel sooooooooo stupid. xD Time to get other stuff done now I guess
innocentbystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2011, 09:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
Sht. This would explain why Ubuntu doesn't see my 2.1 pre+ after a day of trying to get it to work.
I feel sooooooooo stupid. xD Time to get other stuff done now I guess
Thanks for reminding me. I've just released v1.11 with support for the new 2.x Ubuntu drivers.

From Installing the SDK on Ubuntu – HP webOS Developer Center

Old 04/02/2011, 12:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Im trying to install it on my macs (iMac, MacBook and MacBook Air) but no luck. I have java 1.6 but its failing.

Have any idea? Help please.
iverieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/13/2011, 11:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverieli View Post
Im trying to install it on my macs (iMac, MacBook and MacBook Air) but no luck. I have java 1.6 but its failing.

Same here
TravisH997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2011, 10:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:

what's the error? I don't have a Mac and have only had it tested on friends with Macs who reported success.

Makes sure you have Java 6 SE select as the default JVM in your settings.

Old 04/15/2011, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

I am getting the same error. I have tried to install the novacom drivers using this and by installing the Palm SDK. Each time it gives an error saying it failed to install but gives no reason as to why. Just suggest contacting the software manufacture for assistance.

I don't understand what the problem is as I just doctored my Pre- back to 1.4.5 less than an hour ago in order to activate it in preparation for making a FrankenPre 2 on Sprint.

The meta-doctor loads and each time it trying to install the novacom drivers again when it checks my system. I get the error message and then my Pre 2 is unrecognized by the computer even though I have it in recovery mode.
BearFace712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2011, 11:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Legend

Just want to give a follow-up that I've remotely altered UNI's target for novacom driver extraction. Previously it would extract and download the drivers from the Pre 2's doctor. Now it extracts/downloads from the Veer's webODoctor.

The end result is that the Windows/Mac drivers are the most current publicly available and will support the Veer Unfortunately, as the only Veer-compatible version of the Linux novacom drivers are in HP's Early Access Program, UNI does not yet support the Veer on Linux.

Old 06/08/2011, 05:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
vpr

Thanks for this! Was able to get it installed which allowed WQI 4.1.1 to talk to my Veer!
vpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2011, 06:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

It's also failing to install on my IMAC.

No problem on my mac book pro?

Any ideas?
chrislo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2011, 06:34 AM   #20 (permalink)

By the way, i use the Veer's Doctor, it gives the same error. if i use older versions of the pre doctors, there is no such problem.

Chris
chrislo is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0