1.    #1  
    Homebrew JSJSJS $Service$ $Framework$ $v1$.$0$.$0$

HP webOS 2.0 brought with it javascript system services. These services are run via Node.jsjsjs $and$ $are$ $amazingly$ $powerful$. $So$ $naturally$, $HP$ $locked$ $down$ $third$ $party$ $services$ $with$ $a$ $jailer$. $For$ $homebrew$ $however$, $full$ $system$ $root$ $access$ $is$ $a$ $must$.

This homebrew jsjsjs $service$ $framework$ $remedies$ $the$ $situation$. $It$ $adds$ $a$ $custom$ $script$ $to$ /$var$/$usr$/$bin$/$run$-$homebrew$-$js$-$service$

All a homebrew service needs to do different from standard service format is to include a custom dbus file which uses the custom script. The end result is that the service will run as root, with full system access (needed for services like FileMgr and SysToolsMgr).

SOURCE: homebrew-js-service-framework - Project Hosting on Google Code

P|C Homebrew Gallery: Homebrew JS Service Framework | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Change Log
    v1.0.0 - March 4, 2011
    - Initial public release!
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Here's a good tutorial on using this. Helped me out a lot:
    Using the Homebrew Javascript Service Framework Coding for Mobile Platforms

One thing it doesn't seem to mention is that you need to reboot? to get dbus to pick up the new files.
    Ok, I'm missing something here:
    # ipkg install /media/internal/ca.canucksoftware.jsjsjs-$service$-$framework_1$.$0$.$1_all$.$ipk$ -$force$-$depends$

Begin installation of ca.canucksoftware.jsjsjs-$service$-$framework$
    Installing ca.canucksoftware.jsjsjs-$service$-$framework$ ($1$.$0$.$1$) $to$ $root$...
    Configuring ca.canucksoftware.jsjsjs-$service$-$framework$
    rmdir: 'media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.jsjsjs-$service$-$framework$': $No$ $such$ $file$ $or$ $directory$
    install: can't stat 'media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/run-homebrew-jsjsjs-$service$': $No$ $such$ $file$ $or$ $directory$
    It doesn't have an app per say - all it really does is install the run-homebrew-jsjsjs-$service$ $script$. $The$ $one$ $in$ $Preware$ $installs$, $not$ $sure$ $if$ $it$'$s$ $different$.

FileMgr depends on it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hemisphire View Post
    Ok, I'm missing something here:
    # ipkg install /media/internal/ca.canucksoftware.jsjsjs-$service$-$framework_1$.$0$.$1_all$.$ipk$ -$force$-$depends$

Begin installation of ca.canucksoftware.jsjsjs-$service$-$framework$
    Installing ca.canucksoftware.jsjsjs-$service$-$framework$ ($1$.$0$.$1$) $to$ $root$...
    Configuring ca.canucksoftware.jsjsjs-$service$-$framework$
    rmdir: 'media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.jsjsjs-$service$-$framework$': $No$ $such$ $file$ $or$ $directory$
    install: can't stat 'media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin/run-homebrew-jsjsjs-$service$': $No$ $such$ $file$ $or$ $directory$
    Try installing with WOSQI

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I've started working on a minor little app that needs root command line access to get its job done, and was pointed to this framework. I think I have everything set up according to the steps in the tutorial linked above, but even after a restart, running the id command from my service returns a uid of prisoner in group jailusers. Any suggestions on how/where to start troubleshooting this?
    Last edited by FoxFireX; 09/11/2011 at 05:44 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxFireX View Post
    I've started working on a minor little app that needs root command line access to get its job done, and was pointed to this framework. I think I have everything set up according to the steps in the tutorial linked above, but even after a restart, running the id command from my service returns a uid of prisoner in group jailusers. Any suggestions on how/where to start troubleshooting this?
    You'll want to check and make sure the replacement dbus is being put in place. May need to doublecheck that you packaged it correctly

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Looks like what I was missing was actually adding the script files to the IPK before installing. Didn't know that they wouldn't be automatically included by palm-package, though in retrospect I'm not sure why I thought they would be. Now that I'm adding those, things seem to be working better.
    Hi Jason: I was wondering if homebrew-jsjsjs-$framework$ $needs$ $an$ $update$ $for$ $3$.$0$.$4$ $compatibility$? $I$ $am$ $trying$ $to$ $get$ $TouchPlayer$ $to$ $work$, $and$ $its$ $install$ $validation$ $states$ $that$ $the$ $homebrew$-$js$-$service$ $could$ $not$ $be$ $found$ $and$ $that$ $it$'$s$ $not$ $running$ $as$ $root$.

I have tried installing it with both preware and webosquickinstaller 4.3.1. Same results with both.

Used to work with TouchPlayer (older versions) with 3.0.2, this is why I am checking to see if 3.0.4 changed something because the script was updated before the release of 3.0.4

Thanks!
    root@HPTouchPad:/var/usr/bin# run-homebrew-jsjsjs-$service$
    Failure writing to tasks file "/var/palm/ls2" : {"message":"EBADF, Bad file descriptor '/var/palm/ls2'","stack":"Error: EBADF, Bad file descriptor '/var/palm/ls2'\n at Object.openSync (fs.jsjsjs:$221$:$18$)\$n$ $at$ $Object$.$writeFileSync$ ($fs$.$js$:$483$:$15$)\$n$ $at$ $writeGroupFile$ (/$usr$/$palm$/$services$/$jsservicelauncher$/$bootstrap$-$node$.$js$:$54$:$13$)\$n$ $at$ $Object$.&$lt$;$anonymous$&$gt$; (/$usr$/$palm$/$services$/$jsservicelauncher$/$bootstrap$-$node$.$js$:$131$:$9$)\$n$ $at$ $Module$.$_compile$ ($module$.$js$:$408$:$26$)\$n$ $at$ $Object$..$js$ ($module$.$js$:$414$:$10$)\$n$ $at$ $Module$.$load$ ($module$.$js$:$340$:$31$)\$n$ $at$ $Function$.$_load$ ($module$.$js$:$301$:$12$)\$n$ $at$ $Array$.$0$ ($module$.$js$:$427$:$10$)\$n$ $at$ $EventEmitter$.$_tickCallback$ ($node$.$js$:$136$:$26$)&$quot$;,&$quot$;$errno$&$quot$;:$9$,&$quot$;$code$&$quot$;:&$quot$;$EBADF$&$quot$;,&$quot$;$path$&$quot$;:&$quot$;/$var$/$palm$/$ls2$&$quot$;}
    parsing services.json failed with:SyntaxError: Unexpected end of input

node.jsjsjs:$144$
    throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first tick
    ^
    TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/palm/services/jsservicelauncher/bootstrap-node.jsjsjs:$160$:$32$)
    at Module._compile (module.jsjsjs:$408$:$26$)
    at Object..jsjsjs ($module$.$js$:$414$:$10$)
    at Module.load (module.jsjsjs:$340$:$31$)
    at Function._load (module.jsjsjs:$301$:$12$)
    at Array.<anonymous> (module.jsjsjs:$427$:$10$)
    at EventEmitter._tickCallback (node.jsjsjs:$136$:$26$)
    root@HPTouchPad:/var/usr/bin#
    Palm Pixi, 1.4.5.

I'm trying to install HJSF 1.0.2_a using WOSQI and all I'm getting is "Installing..."

Anyone out there still use these outdated phones other than me? I'm essentially just trying to get my contacts copied out so I can move to a newer phone. My plan is,
    - Javascript Framework
    - FileMgr
    - Internalz Pro

Unfortunately, I can't get past step 1.
    I'm having the same problem as above. Same phone, Pixi.

Keeps saying it's "installing" but never gets anywhere.

Any ideas for this? Is there an older version of the software that works with webos 1.4.5?

Thanks!