webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Canuck Coding > WebOS Quick Install v4.6.0
WebOS Quick Install v4.6.0
Like Tree193Likes

Old 02/17/2013, 12:06 AM   #1181 (permalink)

Did you reboot after uninstalling? You need to otherwise the Novacom service won't register. If you're still having trouble, go to opensource.palm.com.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2013, 12:00 PM   #1182 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Did you reboot after uninstalling? You need to otherwise the Novacom service won't register. If you're still having trouble, go to opensource.palm.com.
Yes, I did a reboot. No luck. Then I found another link to the Novacom drivers her: (Downloads - universal-novacom-installer - Universal Novacom Installer - Google Project Hosting) which worked, so I uninstalled the drivers from this thread, rebooted, installed the drivers from this new download source, rebooted, connected the new VEER (in Developer mode, tapped "Just Charge"), launched WOSQI 4.4.0, and it's still not recognizing the phone. And I know the phone is connected to my HP PC because it recognizes it as a HP Veer when I check the drives in order to eject it. I had also already downloaded and installed the latest Java and verified it on the Sun site.

It just doesn't want to recognize it. And the only options when you launch WOSCI and it says it doesn't recognize it are "OK", which just tries again (no luck), 'Cancel" which closes WOSCI, and "Update Novacom", which starts and then immediately gives the error message mentioned by others above. I wish it would instead open the app and give you access to other options (e.g., update drivers from inside the app menu), rather than hitting this wall and not be able to get pat it.

Frustrating. It was always so easy in the past
eTreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2013, 12:15 PM   #1183 (permalink)

Two things to check:
1. Plug in your device. Under Device Manager, make sure you have the Palm Novacom Modules category, and in it a device named Palm Novacom.
2. In the Services console (services.msc), make sure you have Palm Novacom in the list and it is Started/Automatic. Particularly automatic, because I've found if it's delay started it doesn't work properly.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/17/2013, 12:32 PM   #1184 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
............. tapped "Just Charge"
if you use a pre/phone cable on the touchpad it sometimes doesnt work, the usb cable for my pre3 wouldnt pickup my touchpad for some reason but would the phone, i had to use my proper touchpad cable and it was recognised.

also if i want to test my novacom driver is deffo working ive just used the sdk/emulator, if the emulator runs fine and you run quickinstall then a device called EMULATOR should appear, IF novacom is working ofc, if not then novacom is still not instaled/working right (i do this to at least eliminate the chance of a bad or wrong cable).

ive seen some1 have a more easy/elegant method to test but i forget where that post/reply is offhand.
Old 02/17/2013, 12:38 PM   #1185 (permalink)

Quote:
Two things to check:
1. Plug in your device. Under Device Manager, make sure you have the Palm Novacom Modules category, and in it a device named Palm Novacom.
2. In the Services console (services.msc), make sure you have Palm Novacom in the list and it is Started/Automatic. Particularly automatic, because I've found if it's delay started it doesn't work properly.
on your second check ive also found that changing the part regarding first/second/subsequent failures in service recovery is sometimes set to "take no action" instead of "restart the service", that may be worth checking as well.
Old 02/17/2013, 04:11 PM   #1186 (permalink)

Quote:
Two things to check:
Connected the Veer (Just Charge). Checked Device Manager. No Palm Novacom Modules category. Checked Services and it DOES list Palm Novacom and it's sstatus is "Started" and the startup type is "Automatic". Went back to Device Manager and saw that the phone is only showing up as a generic "G" drive (it shows as HP Veer in usb mode). Clicked on the drive and it says that it is working properly and is located "on UMBus Enumerator" using a Microsoft driver dated 6/21/2006, driver version 6.1.7600.16385. Could that be the problem (it not being recognized as a Veer while in "Just Charge" mode?
Old 02/17/2013, 04:17 PM   #1187 (permalink)

You'll need to reinstall the Novacom device drivers. The drivers usually get taken care of as part of the Novacom installation. Are you sure you have the right version for your processor architecture? Makes sure that if you're on 64-bit Windows you install the 64-bit package. And grab it from opensource.palm.com to be sure.
Old 02/17/2013, 04:17 PM   #1188 (permalink)

Actually, under the details tab in G:\ Propoerties, device description it lists the value as "webOS-device"
Old 02/17/2013, 04:21 PM   #1189 (permalink)

stupid question to throw in, could novacom's port (696 or whatever it may be atm) be blocked or in use and need opening/freeing up by an overzealous software or router firewall?

i see we can just type..

novacom -l

to list any connected devices via console/terminal, theres also options to change ip/port/lots of other stuff.
Old 02/17/2013, 05:11 PM   #1190 (permalink)

Quote:
You'll need to reinstall the Novacom device drivers. The drivers usually get taken care of as part of the Novacom installation. Are you sure you have the right version for your processor architecture? Makes sure that if you're on 64-bit Windows you install the 64-bit package. And grab it from opensource.palm.com to be sure.
GMMan, the latest version of Novacom that I have installed right now was just pulled directly from opensource.palm.com per your suggestion yesterday and is 64 bit (same as my computer). I have now tried the version available in this thread, the one through the Google hosting, and the one from opensource.palm.com, rebooting after each uninstall before doing the new install, then rebooting again after install before trying to launch WOSQI. Same results each time. I thought it might be the fact that I was trying to launch WOSQI from my desktop so I moved the .jar file to the Palm folder (the one created when Novacom was installed) and it won't even open from there so I moved it back to my desktop.

I've deleted and downloaded the WOSQI .jar file three times, confirmed the latest Java twice, uninstalled and reinstalled Novacom probably ten times now. Grrrrrrr.
Old 02/17/2013, 05:36 PM   #1191 (permalink)

Just to be sure, verify Developer Mode is on.
Old 02/17/2013, 05:54 PM   #1192 (permalink)

Yes sir! It's been on since I started this yesterday.
Old 02/17/2013, 06:07 PM   #1193 (permalink)

OK... Try running C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacomd\dpinst.exe.
Old 02/17/2013, 06:38 PM   #1194 (permalink)

Ran the dpinst.exe, it launched the install wizard, said the drivers were installed successfully. Restarted my PC, connected the Veer (just charge), launched WOSQI and got the same "No Devices Found" message

Sorry for sounding like a broken record here.
Old 02/17/2013, 06:40 PM   #1195 (permalink)

Must be because my laptop is an HP. They're really good at making sure webOS doesn't work!
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 02/17/2013, 06:48 PM   #1196 (permalink)

If you have Skype, message me. I'll be up in half an hour.
Thanked By: eTreo
Old 02/17/2013, 07:24 PM   #1197 (permalink)

I'm sorry, but I don't. Thanks for the offer though!
Old 02/17/2013, 08:05 PM   #1198 (permalink)

Read back up through the thread and came across someone's post that reminded me that after I put my wife's phone into Developer mode, I forgot to reboot her phone. Once I did that and connected it again to my PC, WOSQI immediately found it, and I quickly loaded Preware. YAY!!!!!

Thanks to GMMan and Geekpeter for your help!!

This place is a treasure trove of incredibly useful and valuable information!!!

On to the patching
Old 02/17/2013, 08:28 PM   #1199 (permalink)

Darn, rebooting the phone, how could I forget that?
Old 02/17/2013, 09:13 PM   #1200 (permalink)

Quote:
Darn, rebooting the phone, how could I forget that?
Same here! Rookie move .

Tags
install, quick., webos