Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Over the past year, I've seen a lot of people wonder why they would need or want Internalz. To date, I've seen people asking how to do the most basic things with Internalz, not knowing, simply because the information isn't organized anywhere.

To that end, I've started a series of YouTube videos, titled Internalz Tipz. There have been 20 episodes planned; one released every other day. I've also made a prequel episode #0, to show how to install Internalz in the first place.

Each video is aimed for 30 seconds to 3 minutes. Just a quick informative video depicting features in Internalz you might not be aware of.

Playlist RSS Feed: Internalz Tipz

Released Episodes:

If you have any questions about what's in the videos, feel free to post in this thread. I'll keep the first post updated as new videos get released.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 12/18/2010 at 08:14 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    You should give lessons on how to make videos cuz you do some nice work. Looking forward to more complex vids.

Btw, I learned how to paralyze my phone with Internalz on my own. (O_o) LOL

Edit: Hope this post was not offensive. As they say, no pain, no gain. I learned on my own that with much freedom comes much responsibility. I love that I could mess up my phone on my own with the awesome tool Internalz is. I also learned that I need these videos.
    Last edited by palmuse; 11/11/2010 at 08:33 PM.
    Thanks Jason, Internalz is one app that makes me love owning a Pre. Looking forward to learning more about how to use it.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Thanks Jason for doing this. I have installed it for the first time and look forward to learning how to use it for some of the more advanced functions.
    can i erase logs from internalz
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmansuarez View Post
    can i erase logs from internalz
    What kinds of logs?

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Cool video. What tools / methods did you use to make it -- I'm sure a lot of would-be WebOS app tutorial video makers could learn from the techniques you used.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by destinal View Post
    Cool video. What tools / methods did you use to make it -- I'm sure a lot of would-be WebOS app tutorial video makers could learn from the techniques you used.
    Photoshop for title cards, and Camtasia for the screen recording and overall video editing.

9.    #9  
    New episode is out

Did you know that Internalz supports gestures? It does! The back-swipe gesture goes back, through your directory browsing history. Note: browsing history clears when you close Internalz. In addition, the forward-swipe gesture will refresh the file/directory listings.

Sunday's one will be on the topic of moving and copying files/directories.

10.    #10  
    New episodes! I was busy the last 2 days, so here's 2 episodes (Nov. 14's as well as today's)

Moving and copying files and directories are a crucial part of any file. Internalz has kept the process as simple as possible, integrating a folder tree for a destination chooser and using webOS notifications to tell you when the move/copy is complete.

Deleting files/directories is one of the things most people use file managers to do. Internalz lets you delete easily, and even has optional support for swipe-to-delete, to quickly deleting files.

Could you teach me or help me with text strings? Say for example "Drag up to unlock" when your phone is on lock screen. Or if there is a directory for all text strings. Thanks =D
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuBLoZ View Post
    Could you teach me or help me with text strings? Say for example "Drag up to unlock" when your phone is on lock screen. Or if there is a directory for all text strings. Thanks =D
    Text strings are found within html and jsjsjs $files$. $Video$ #$1$ $shows$ $the$ $location$ $of$ $system$ $programs$. $However$ $the$ $lock$ $screen$ $is$ $part$ $of$ $LunaSysMgr$ $I$ $believe$, $and$ $thus$ $not$ $easily$ $editable$.

Thanks for this, Jason. I seem to do fine figuring all the Internalz goodies out but these vid's are well done and have to be of great help to the masses. Your work is much appreciated. I'm going thru a rough stretch right now with taking on 2 foster kids that eat me out of house and home but when things settle down you (and WebOS Internals and a couple devs) will be getting more donations. Thanks again...you are a bright light in this community!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Well could you tell me the directory of LunaSysMgr? And I may be wrong above but, I'm talking about when your way from your phone for a while. you press the power button to light the screen up, then you drag the unlock icon up to get back to what you were doing.
    There that was more detailed.
    That text "Drag up to unlock.
    What do you think, or give me some directory of where to find it.

Thanks =DDD
  15.    #15  
    Well could you tell me the directory of LunaSysMgr? And I may be wrong above but, I'm talking about when your way from your phone for a while. you press the power button to light the screen up, then you drag the unlock icon up to get back to what you were doing.
    There that was more detailed.
    That text "Drag up to unlock.
    What do you think, or give me some directory of where to find it.

Thanks =DDD
    "Drag to unlock" is embedded in the LunaSysMgr compiled binary and thus not easily editable, sorry. See /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr

16.    #16  
    Another new episode!

Organization of your music, videos, and all other sorts of files are dependent on the creation of new directories and Internalz makes it simple. Not only that, you can easily create new files too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Another new episode!

Jason,

thanks for the episodes. I havent got much into creating files yet so have a question.

In the video you mention that you can type a file name with an extension or without. So my understanding is if I create a file named "Test.xls" that it will know it is a MS Office extension, and should show up in Doc Viewer as such, True? BUT if I don't give an extension what does that actually do to the file as this was not mentioned in the tutorial? and I am guessing you can always change the extension later.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    "Drag to unlock" is embedded in the LunaSysMgr compiled binary and thus not easily editable, sorry. See /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    I see what your meaning now. I get an Error saying.
    No file handler found for /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr.
    *If you can edit it, how would you?*
    Thank you though
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Jason,

thanks for the episodes. I havent got much into creating files yet so have a question.

In the video you mention that you can type a file name with an extension or without. So my understanding is if I create a file named "Test.xls" that it will know it is a MS Office extension, and should show up in Doc Viewer as such, True? BUT if I don't give an extension what does that actually do to the file as this was not mentioned in the tutorial? and I am guessing you can always change the extension later.
    Correct, it'll show up. Though keep in mind creating new files will be completely empty; 0 bytes file size. So You'd certainly get an error trying to open it in DocView.

As mentioned in the video, the extension is optional and you can omit it if you'd like. In such a case, you'd be able to edit it like a text file, in Internalz. Linux has many extensionless files, like /etc/hosts, /etc/palm-build-info, etc.

And yea, you can rename file extensions at anytime

I see what your meaning now. I get an Error saying.
    No file handler found for /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr.
    *If you can edit it, how would you?*
    Thank you though
    You'd either need the binary source code, change the text, recompile, and upload to your device, or you could use a HEX editor with some skills. Unfortunately can't help ya in either case.

I got skills in HEX editor for xbox 360 games and stuff like that. But most likely not with this stuff..... =/
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast