1.    #1  
    Some of you are already away, but I figured an official statement would be best.

No I have not left the webOS. Yes, I have been very absent lately. It's been involuntary, due to university and that taking up my time. As much as some of you dislike it, my studies will always be greater than my webOS work, in terms of importance and how I allocate my time.

In the past week or so, I've been slowly coming back to my webOS development. I won't be able to do nearly as much and I've previously done, but I do wanna continue where I left off, at a slower, more realistic pacing for myself.

To that end, I figured I should provide a roadmap of what I expect to be working on for the next few months and what features I'll be working on implementing.

WebOS Quick Install v4.0 - A much more user-friendly version of WOSQI, with an improved and optimized Ipkg Feed Viewer (combining the theme and patch sections into it), much better code optimization/stability, feed dependency support, wireless support via SSH, improved novacom support, etc.

Internalz - This isn't as high a priority as FileMgr (see below), but I have a few near-future update ideas, like image viewer slidershow support, and multiple item selection (for move/copy/delete). In the long run, I'd like to implement: favourite folder tagging, unzip support, file/directory search, and especially ideal to future tablet devices, an icon view.

FileMgr - This is a java-based service, and as everyone's aware, that's means it won't work with webOS 2.0. The solution is to rewrite the service in C. This will be my #1 priority, development-wise.

SysToolsMgr - This is my somewhat popular multi-purpose java-service. It's used to power LED Torch, many patches, and a few 3rd party apps. This one will always be high on my priority list as it needs to be rewritten in C to function in webOS 2.0.

Patches - I fully intend to continue doing the occasional patches. I have a few Internalz-related patches planned and have 2 other, larger patches in mind (with some code done); an image-grabber framework, for easy patches similar to my messaging avatar patch, and a large youtube patch.

Other Apps - I doubt I'll have much time for these, but they are not forgotten: DriveDrive, Archived, ComicShelf, TimsTracker, Winnipeg Transit Times, etc.. Eventually I'll be back to coding these, but not before some of the early gets done. Time management difficulties, unfortunately.

All that said, it should be noted a while ago a rather massive change happened to my development. I'm now official registered with Palm as a developer. Tax info submitted and everything. As part of it, I've registered as a small business here in Canada. "Canuck Software" was unavailable, so I went for something that sounds even better to me. I now sell/distribute software as Canuck Coding .

And as some have suspected, using the publicly-known webOS 2.0 development features (jsjsjs $services$, $hybrid$ $apps$, $etc$.) $I$ $have$ $high$ $hopes$ $I$'$ll$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $develop$ $an$ $App$ $Catalog$-$compliant$ $version$ $of$ $Internalz$ $and$ $FileMgr$. $Once$ $I$ $do$, $it$'$ll$ $probably$ $be$ $on$ $the$ $App$ $Catalog$ $as$ $paid$ $software$ ($with$ $the$ $free$ $homebrew$, $unrestricted$ $version$ $still$ $available$).

Lastly, as a sort of countdown, I'm premiering my Internalz Tipz youtube video series. Not counting the prequel #0, there are a total of 20 episodes. Read more about it here. Essentially, I'll be releasing a new episode every other day. And by the end of the 40 days, expect the updated, webOS 2.0-friendly FileMgr 2.0 update
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 11/10/2010 at 06:34 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Dude! You're simply one of the greats wen it comes to webos and coding. You and webos internals 'double' handedly made me keep my Pre till now. Thanks for all the great softwares and patches you have made for us!
    wow.... great to hear it, we're happy to see you back!!
    Good to hear you're alive and well!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Jason, thank you for your work. All webOS power users are indebted to you. Even if they haven't used your apps directly, they've almost certainly benefited from apps that have used your services. There's also no way to measure the effect your early work on WebOS Quick Install had on the budding homebrew community. Anyone who hasn't donated to Jason really should!
    Why dont you apply for a job at Palm/HP? Finish school in California, work part time at H/P, maybe they will pay for your college in return for working with them for next 3-5 years?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    WELCOME BACK!! Appreciate all of your time and work!!!
    What? You aren't working at Palm/$=???
    JR: you really seem to have your $hit together. Finish off that degree so you can really unleash that coding fury. Whatever you choose to do will be impressive I'm sure. Move to Atlanta and I'll hire you.
    Welcome back,

I too know how hard it can be to have to tacle life, college and the extras for my technology addiction...lol

So good luck and cant wait to see what is in store.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    that all sounds really cool. Thanks for all your efforts!
    Welcome back.
    Congrats and good luck with Canuck Coding.
    I suspect you'll do well.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Keep up the good work.
    you didnt mention a dropbox app in there?

btw - if you do bring a dropbox app - can you setup an option to nightly schedule photo/video uploads? I'd love to have my pics / videos in the cloud automatically - and at night over wifi (which is how i do drPodder btw) would be ideal!!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoum View Post
    you didnt mention a dropbox app in there?

btw - if you do bring a dropbox app - can you setup an option to nightly schedule photo/video uploads? I'd love to have my pics / videos in the cloud automatically - and at night over wifi (which is how i do drPodder btw) would be ideal!!
    DropDrive is my dropbox app. Unfortunately it's on the backburner for now. Ideally, I'd harness webOS 2.0 technologies to do 2-way synchronization; so you could have, for example, /media/internal/Dropbox/ and files will be periodically synchronized back and forth.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Thanks for the update Jason. You still rock bro! Appreciate all your work that includes past, present and future.

I'm still with my Pre because of you and all of your work.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Welcome back Jason. Glad to have you around again. Your roadmap is awesome. A question though, with your time being limited, wouldn't it be easier to distribute some of the development and team up with another dev(s)?

WOSI has some amazing devs and with more people, work goes by faster and is less stressful. It would be a "Marvel Team Up" type deal for a limited run to get the roadmap completed.

Captain Coder and the WebOS Justice League...

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Welcome back Jason. Glad to have you around again. Your roadmap is awesome. A question though, with your time being limited, wouldn't it be easier to distribute some of the development and team up with another dev(s)?
    That would mean making some of those roadmap items opensource, which would prevent me from effectively selling/marketing apps like DropDrive, ComicShelf, etc.. Besides, it's pretty well known how many projects WOSI has in-development; they're busy enough with their own great apps as is.

However, a LOT of my homebrew stuff already is opensource. SysToolsMgr, PresetReset, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, and every single one of my patches are opensource. Any developer wanting to help can, and always has had the opportunity to, contribute

And besides, a roadmap is just that, a roadmap. A peak at what's to come over the next while and to tease.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 12/17/2010 at 07:24 PM.