1.    #1  
    I'm a 20+ year Palm guy, but I'm almost to the point of leaving Palm forever. I'm hoping you folks can help me save years of Palm contacts that literally disappeared.

Situation: Broken screen, phone not in Developer mode, Need to get contacts DB from phone, because Palm Online lost all of my contacts when I attempted to restore on my replacement phone.

I used orange+sym+u to get photos and videos off the phone.

I downloaded and installed web OS Quickinstall

I can use the volume up power on trick to force USB driver mode, so the PC recognized and loaded the drivers.

However, when I try to access the Pre from Web OS QI it locks up and tries to display an error message that is blank.

Is this because forcing USB driver mode doesn't put it in "developer" mode? I know USB mode is working because my PC makes that hardware link sound when I plug it in and the phone screen has that weird connect-arrow graphic on it and never asked me to choose USB/charge mode.

Is there anyway to turn on developer mode without the screen?

I know this isn't the forum for it, but it is really poor design to not have the ability to interact with your phone properly without using the touchscreen. I always thought it was inconvenient when trying to move the cursor around, but now it is downright critical.

Thanks for listening,

Greg
    dev mode and usb mode have nothing to do with each other. If you press the orange key + sym + u at the same time it will put you into the correct usb mode
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    But that USB mode only allows me access to the USB partition (media files, etc.)

I need access to the PalmDatabase.db3 file which contains my contacts info. I'm told I can get this file using Web OS Quick Install, but that app requires the phone to be in Developer Mode.

The USB mode reached by orange+sym+u isn't recognized at all by Web OS Quick Install.

Powering up while holding the volume up button puts the phone in USB driver mode (device doesn't show up in "My Computer," but the PC rcognizes the USB device.) However, Web OS Quick Install freezes up in this mode when I attempt to access the phone.

Any other program that ill allow me to copy this file over?

G
    Did you ever get this figured out? I am in the same boat. The touchscreen doesn't work so I can't turn on developer mode but I can't install preware/get access to a terminal without developer mode on. Is there a startup keyboard shortcut that will let me have terminal access?
    You can gain Terminal access?
    I do not have a lot of experience here but I would venture a guess to say your hosed. As you cannot get the phone into developer mode with putting in the "secret" code.

www.webos-internals.org How_To_Recover

In the very unlikely event that your Pre will not boot into recovery mode (indicating that your boot loader on the flash disk may be damaged or corrupted) you can try booting bootie into recovery mode over USB instead: Last_Resort_Emergency_BootLoader_Recovery Note that there has only been one incidence of this being required which ultimately was due to hardware failure
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for, I know you don't want to DR, but there maybe a way to get to the "root" Linux prompt.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 10/29/2010 at 06:53 PM.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.