Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jjeffcoat
  • 1 Post By seb_or_sam
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm happy to hear of so many people using Internalz; those those upgraded from v1.0 and those who became a user as of v1.2.

It's no secret that Internalz registers itself as the default handler for a long list of filetypes, including ".patch". Well, I've recently become aware of an issue regarding the webOS browser and forum downloads.

In a nutshell, website cookies (the information stored on the web browser; stuff like user information, etc.) doesn't get applied when downloading forum attachments.

What this means is that, if you attempt to download a .patch from a forum system that requires user registration to download files (like PreCentral), the file won't download right. The forums will not be able to detect your user information and will redirect the download target to the PreCentral forums login.

So what you end up downloading, is the html code of the PreCentral login page, saved to the .patch filename. Needless to say, attempts to install such a file would fail, as it's not a patch, heh.

Thankfully, the PreCentral forums already have a workaround for the webOS limitation! If you want to download a file (such as a .patch file), click the "Email Attachment" link and then open the file from your email.

Opening a .patch file (as well as other filetypes) from the email app will open correctly in Internalz

EDIT: Just wanna be clear about this before anyone says anything: this is a limitation in webOS, not Internalz
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    ...and I thought I was just doing it wrong... I didn't think there was anything for me to mess up since I just tap the link and Internalz starts running, but with my luck I could break that too. This makes sense though and will probably be an issue for any patch or app placed behind a SHIM login
    Thanks for the heads up
    I noticed this a couple days ago when downloading the auto ip forward patch. I had to email it to myself. Thanks for the clarification! BTW, Internalz rocks!
    I did this the other day (e-mailed the patch to myself) with uber calendar, and can verify that it does indeed work.

Thanks Jason!!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    AspenWiedii likes this.
    great was wondering why it didn't work...thanks
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    I thought it was just me having this problem! Yeah, I've been using the email attachment workaround for a bit too... I thought something was wrong with my account Thanks Jason!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter
    JCPDX likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Hi all,

[snip]

Thankfully, the PreCentral forums already have a workaround for the webOS limitation! If you want to download a file (such as a .patch file), click the "Email Attachment" link and then open the file from your email.

Opening a .patch file (as well as other filetypes) from the email app will open correctly in Internalz

EDIT: Just wanna be clear about this before anyone says anything: this is a limitation in webOS, not Internalz
    I did this very thing for the Set Personal Avatar patch and it worked like a charm!!!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    How do I download an attachment to a directory instead of simply opening it in Internalz?
    this doesn't work for me. It tells me to log-in. I'm clearly logged in. It says so at the top of the page. This is from my touchpad browser.
    Can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong..i follow the instructions to the "T" even delete all downloads resend send the attachment again ..reboot the touchpad, and i am still getting the error " Patch installation Failed" using internalz pro! (i really thought i was technically minded)
    I'm also getting an error when I try to implement this patch as follows:

Unable to connect to WebOS-Internals servers.
    Cannot download AUPT scripts for the patch.

And my internet connection is obviously working, as I'm posting this reply from my Touchpad, I assume the connection problem is at the other end and will try again later.