Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    All patches in the webos-patches feed in Preware have the form "org.webosinternals.patches.<patchname>" and have done so since patches were first distributed in feeds many months ago. I know you know that because you have many patches in that feed.

I'm surprised that you have opted not to be interoperable here. I truly hope that we're not seeing the start of an intentional divergence in the homebrew ecosystem ...

-- Rod
    Wow, talk about overreacting to a single post rather than looking at all the facts and trying to start and argument, rather than inquire for clarification.

Rather than make a long-winded post pointing out the truth of the situation and how I in no way am affecting interoperability, I'll do the sensible thing and IM you the specific clarifications.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    You know this message should have been a private message to Jason, there have been enough issues on Precentral with people starting stuff. So why did you post that in the open, it should have been a private question between you and Jason. Not something Jason has to answer publicly.

Maybe he want to start selling is software now in the Palm App Catalog.

Rob
    Your post can be considered "starting stuff" a lot more than rwhitby's IMO.

PS: There will never be an app that can install random packages, let alone patch the READ-ONLY root file system allowed in the App Catalog.
    Last edited by egaudet; 08/02/2010 at 01:34 AM.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Wow, talk about overreacting to a single post rather than looking at all the facts and trying to start and argument, rather than inquire for clarification.

Rather than make a long-winded post pointing out the truth of the situation and how I in no way am affecting interoperability, I'll do the sensible thing and IM you the specific clarifications.
    I'd personally much rather open discussion/clarifications, especially regarding open ecosystems.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Before this thread goes further, Jason and I are discussing this in private, and the outcomes will be made public so everyone knows what is going on. I too prefer the technical discussion to be in public, but there has been a miscommunication here which is being resolved in private.

However, there are real technical issues that I am concerned about. I will let Jason report them so that others do not accuse me of trying to discredit anyone.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #85  
    Me and Rod had a nice long discussion. Some of the stuff FileMgr/Internalz does differently.

Mainly, there was an issue revealed with the Ipk Installer specifically. As many of you know, much of the code from FileMgr's new ipk installation function comes from WOSQI. Unfortunately, that means some issues got brought along with it. Mainly, if you have an App Catalog install active at the same time as installing an .ipk in Internalz, you may experience ipkg status file issues. In addition, the Palm rescan service call is bugged and it may break phone calls.

That said, I'm working on FileMgr 1.1.1 to fix the issues. And for the record, the issues were not intentional, nor were they done to disrupt the homebrew ecosystem

Oh, and keep in mind the issues above only affect the Ipk Packager, not any other part of Internalz. The Patcher in Internalz is bug-free and as great as ever

Oh, and I might as well take to time to also announce that I'm working on Internalz v1.2.1, with localization corrections and well as optimizations to the Text Editor.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    there was an issue revealed with the Ipk Installer specifically. As many of you know, much of the code from FileMgr's new ipk installation function comes from WOSQI. Unfortunately, that means some issues got brought along with it. Mainly, if you have an App Catalog install active at the same time as installing an .ipk in Internalz, you may experience ipkg status file issues. In addition, the Palm rescan service call is bugged and it may break phone calls.
    For clarification, the symptoms you may experience if you are affected by either of these two FileMgr issues are:

1) You lose all record of Installed Packages in Preware or WOSQI. This happens because there is no locking on the ipkg status file by Palm, and therefore if there is no protection against another installer operating on the status file directly, the file will be corrupted.

The Emergency Reconstruction Utility from WebOS Internals in Preware can fix this in almost all cases.

2) You miss incoming phone calls, text messages and calendar appointment notifications. This happens because the Palm applicationManager rescan method has a bug since webOS 1.4.0 which causes the background Mojo threads for the Phone, Messaging and Calendar applications to be terminated. You can check whether this is happening to you by opening the phone application and having the initial screen hang without fully opening.

Doing a Luna Restart will restart those processes and allow your notifications and incoming phone calls to get to you.

Both of these issues were made public a number of months ago, and the fixes for them have been available in public open source code repositories since then. However, Internalz and FileMgr are closed source programs (a perfectly valid choice which Jason has made, and which is his decision and his decision alone to make), and have a closed beta process, so public review of the techniques used has not been possible until now.

Finally, to be crystal clear, I welcome the homebrew installation capability that Internalz provides as an alternate solution for on-device installation of packages. WebOS Quick Install has alternate solutions for off-device package installation with stand-alone package installers and Palm's palm-install SDK tools, and now Preware has an alternate solution for on-device package installation with Internalz (note that none of the other on-device installers other than Preware and Internalz are viable for advanced homebrew packages like Preware, Internalz, kernels, themes or patches). For packages like application installers which are of such critical importance to the community, it is good to have multiple solutions in place, in case one or the other has problems.

The patch installation that Internalz does also provides a unique bare-patch installation method for patch developers to test their patches. I'm waiting for Jason to take it even further and support on-device installation of themes from theme zip files

My concern is that all these solutions must take care to use the most up-to-date techniques which we collectively know to be free of problems, and that these best-practice homebrew installation techniques continue to be discussed in public whenever they are proposed to be changed or updated, and the implementations of them be publicly scrutinized in source code form, so that all parties involved in the open homebrew ecosystem can participate in those discussions, resulting in a better bug-free outcome for the whole community.

Jason has announced that these problems will be fixed in the next version, so there is no residual issue.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/02/2010 at 04:06 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    i touch a file startarm.sh in my ubuntu system,and cp this script to my pre,and it can runs well.

and i want to edit this script, so i use internalz to edit it. then, this script can't be run.

I think maybe is this problem? utf8,or ascii something?
    hi jason. I'm having issues installing patches using internalz. Specifically tonight, your two newly released patches..so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it gives me an error. Any advice? Thanks!
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1314258 View Post
    i touch a file startarm.sh in my ubuntu system,and cp this script to my pre,and it can runs well.

and i want to edit this script, so i use internalz to edit it. then, this script can't be run.

I think maybe is this problem? utf8,or ascii something?
    Probably endline settings. Try changing Endline Format setting to Linux then edit the file and try again. Should hopefully work fine then

Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    hi jason. I'm having issues installing patches using internalz. Specifically tonight, your two newly released patches..so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it gives me an error. Any advice? Thanks!
    See http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...tachments.html

thans a lot! But I've run into another problem. Downloading an image as an attachment from an email will open it in internalz, but then if I back swipe, it closes. I don't know where it saved it, but I need to find it to move it (an image for the universal search patch) to the folder it needs to be in. Is there a way to make a back swipe take you back to the directory, but to the folder the attachment was put in? I looked in the download folder but it's not there.

&/or is there a search function in internalz that will search all folders for the file you're looking for? Jw thanks again!
    Try this, after downloading the attached picture, instead of tapping the attachment header scroll down in the email and tap on the picture.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Try this, after downloading the attached picture, instead of tapping the attachment header scroll down in the email and tap on the picture.
    didn't even notice that, haha, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I did this, and it says COPYING TO PHOTOS, but that directory does not have the picture. Would a gif file cause problems in the copy?

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    I did this, and it says COPYING TO PHOTOS, but that directory does not have the picture. Would a gif file cause problems in the copy?
    Exactly where is this "Photos" directory? I can't find it anywhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    I assumed it is in the photo roll, but I dont see the picture in there. I checked using Internalz and the photo app.

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
  16. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Mine show up in a Miscellaneous folder in the photos app. In Internalz, you will find them under Media/Internal.
    Jason, with internalz as default photo viewer, when opening some photos from dropboxify I get a message that says "Error" "Invalid File". If I remove internalz and open with dropboxify the Palm Photo Viewer opens the photo fine.

Is there a solution for this or is there a way of setting Palm Photo Viewer back as default for opening photos?

I use internalz daily and love it and appreciate all the work you put into it. This is the only problem I have had. Keep up the great work.
    great work jason! Applying a patch through internalz just feels so good! I have a question. I downloaded some movies and I see them in my downloads file in internalz. If I open the movie in internalz I can watch the movie! BUT they do not show up in my videos app. am I doing something wrong? Thanks so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Luna restart is already there when you get done with the one patch oe multiple patches click on the drop down menu and you see Luna Restart. Internalz in conjunction with Zumodrive or Droboxify equals a total wireless solution.
    I dont see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    I assumed it is in the photo roll, but I dont see the picture in there. I checked using Internalz and the photo app.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Mine show up in a Miscellaneous folder in the photos app. In Internalz, you will find them under Media/Internal.
    look in the downloads folder!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

2slow The luna restart is available when you are on the patch you are installing. So you can install mulitple patches and then do a luna restart at the very end. Open a patch and click on the menu.
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast