Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Really first rate work Jason! The changes in this most recent version of Internalz are just fantastic. I hope you're considering Rahul Sood's Facebook comment encouraging you to investigate employment opportunities with Palm.

You've brought essential functionality to WebOS; albeit functionality that at this point can only be available to the Homebrew community. On the "inside", you'd be able to bring Internalz's file management yumminess to the masses of WebOS users who (for whatever misguided reason) don't want to use Homebrew or (perish the thought) aren't aware of it.

One thought I'd like to plant in your mind for possible inclusion in a future version... the ability to select multiple files for moving and deleting. I'd guess that's already on your list somewhere, but just in case...
    Proud Pre Early Adopter
    My wallpapers
    Try my SteamPunk'd Theme!
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Agreed 1000%. Even though we know that we're dealing with developers of the highest character with Jason and the WebOS Internals team, third party apps/utilities such as Internalz and Preware should always explicitly prompt the user to choose such associations.
    Proud Pre Early Adopter
    My wallpapers
    Try my SteamPunk'd Theme!
  3.    #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by garavin View Post
    Really first rate work Jason! The changes in this most recent version of Internalz are just fantastic. I hope you're considering Rahul Sood's Facebook comment encouraging you to investigate employment opportunities with Palm.

You've brought essential functionality to WebOS; albeit functionality that at this point can only be available to the Homebrew community. On the "inside", you'd be able to bring Internalz's file management yumminess to the masses of WebOS users who (for whatever misguided reason) don't want to use Homebrew or (perish the thought) aren't aware of it.

One thought I'd like to plant in your mind for possible inclusion in a future version... the ability to select multiple files for moving and deleting. I'd guess that's already on your list somewhere, but just in case...
    Yea, I've contacted Rahul. I love Palm and would love the opportunity to do whatever I can for them. Also, I'm looking into possibility ofhaving a pdk hybrid app powered a much less powerful, more restricted version of Internalz.

Quote Originally Posted by garavin View Post
    Agreed 1000%. Even though we know that we're dealing with developers of the highest character with Jason and the WebOS Internals team, third party apps/utilities such as Internalz and Preware should always explicitly prompt the user to choose such associations.
    For the record, Internalz doesn't force default handler status on any file extension. It simply adds webOS as a possible handler. If there isn't any other app that uses that extension, then webOS uses it as default, which makes sense. But with already-existing extensions, the user needs to specifically change filetype associations; nothing forced A great example of this is txt files, which remain mapped to DocView and if users want Internalz to handle txt files, they need to make the decision and set the choice themselves
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/29/2010 at 08:44 AM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'll add a "Restart" menu option, with a submenu for Java, Luna, and Device Restarts.

What version of FileMgr do you have installed?

I have the v1.1.5 FileMgr installed

Java restart did not fix anything
    Feature Request: FTP

The one thing I'm missing is a simple (i.e. GUI-based) way to upload files to my website.
    Not by design, just a limitation of mtools. The copy of mtools included in the webOS is out of date and thus has the display issue you describe. I hope to release an optional updated package of mtools for users in the next month or so. For now, you have 2 options: avoid accents or enable "show hidden" (which avoids mtools altogether)
    Thank you for your fast answer. Even if I am not a developer, I am curious of what could cause something like that.

Thank you for your help in making the palm pre what it is with this great tool.

Have a good day.

cmflouis
    Hey Jason

Thanks for the wonderful app, I love how one can hide few things from webos, is it possible to hide an entire folder rather than just a file. That would make things very smooth. Thanks a lot.

Update: Realized I can do it by tapping and holding
    Last edited by kkhanmd; 08/29/2010 at 11:45 AM.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    the record, Internalz doesn't force default handler status on any file extension. It simply adds webOS as a possible handler. If there isn't any other app that uses that extension, then webOS uses it as default, which makes sense. But with already-existing extensions, the user needs to specifically change filetype associations; nothing forced A great example of this is txt files, which remain mapped to DocView and if users want Internalz to handle txt files, they need to make the decision and set the choice themselves
    Imternalz sets itself as the default handler for .ipk files (if there is no default handler already). The posts from Roy Sutton and garavin are saying that it should ask the user before doing so.

It's not a question of forcing or not, it's a question of making file associations without the user being aware.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/29/2010 at 07:01 PM.
    ... But with already-existing extensions, the user needs to specifically change filetype associations...
    How is this done?
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    How is this done?
    Device Info -> Default Applications

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Device Info -> Default Applications

-- Rod
    Most of the rows are greyed out. How can I add an app? For example, I'd like Music (Remix) to be my default music player.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Most of the rows are greyed out. How can I add an app? For example, I'd like Music (Remix) to be my default music player.
    The author of the application needs to add code to make that happen, and then the application should ask you the first time it is run whether you want it to add the association or not.

-- Rod
    does anyone know the directory location of the folder that is used for the download location for the palm app catalog?
    sj
    Thanks, Rod.
  15.    #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    does anyone know the directory location of the folder that is used for the download location for the palm app catalog?
    sj
    App Catalog downloads ipk files then installs them (removing ipk file after install). The app data can be found in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

I'm still learning as it goes.. Awesome job! Just donated!
    Jason, watching the new features video for 1.3, I was very happy to learn how to edit the autoreplace word list by watching you do it, as some of the replacements drive me mad and I hadn't looked into how to change it... So your video was informative on different levels...

Now... I tried to edit the list (en_ca), but when I go to save it, the program just stalls and doesn't save. The application doesn't freeze completely as I can do a back gesture and the popup with yes and no goes away, but the modifications aren't saved.

Master mode is enabled, I have tried to save, as you did in the video, by back gesture and answering yes, also tried by going in the menu and clicking save file and also tried to enable to autosave... none of which worked. I tried to uninstall Internalz and FileMgr and re-installing, restarting the phone. Nothing. Tried to copy the file to user storage and edit it from there... Nothing.

It did work when I tried to edit other files (as a test) like the en_us and fr_ca, which are smaller than the en_ca which is 88.1k.

anyway... don't know if this is a known issue or not... Regardless, keep up the kick *** work, you're amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyS View Post
    I wanted to say that I thought that both Preware and Internalz should -not- create the .ipk and .patch (for Internalz) file associates by default. This seems like a security hole. A small one? Yes, probably. It shouldn't be much of an issue for technical users to enable those options. I suspect Inernalz's users are more likely to be technical than Preware's but even so...
    Note that the current testing version of Preware now asks the user's permission before making any changes to the file association table. This should satisfy your valid concern about security implications - thanks for raising it as part of the public alpha testing.

I recommend the same change be done to Internalz, but that is Jason's call of course.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Is there a way to use the Pre's image viewer when opening images in Internalz? I want to be able to scroll through all the images in a folder...but it's not looking like it's possible?
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
  20.    #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that the current testing version of Preware now asks the user's permission before making any changes to the file association table. This should satisfy your valid concern about security implications - thanks for raising it as part of the public alpha testing.

I recommend the same change be done to Internalz, but that is Jason's call of course.

-- Rod
    And it may very well in next release Though I am curious why you're re-quoting/restating a post you've already made several comments on and saying the same point again. And talking with Roy, the security concern he had was not just about filetype association, but also with installing possibly malicious ipk files, so I don't think it's possible to ever be completely out of security risk with ipk install. Unfortunately, ever since 1.4.0, users have to be responsible with their installation choice, all we can do is minimize the risk, giving as much info as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Is there a way to use the Pre's image viewer when opening images in Internalz? I want to be able to scroll through all the images in a folder...but it's not looking like it's possible?
    You can disable Internalz as default image viewer. However, as Palm never made their Photos app able to handle launch targets, it's not possible currently.