Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1.    #181  
    Looks like Internalz v1.3 will be out either tonight or tomorrow. Like how Internalz v1.2 focused on features, v1.3 will focus on the user experience
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Looks like Internalz v1.3 will be out either tonight or tomorrow. Like how Internalz v1.2 focused on features, v1.3 will focus on the user experience
    Excellent!!
    is there any way to delete a directory? I created a directory with a folder in it, I can't delete it though, I no longer need the folder and wanted to clean up the temporary dir that I created..
    sj
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I'm unable to install any recent version of my USCL patch using Internalz:

Code:
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 14.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/launcher-scene.html.rej
    Some of the lines in the .patch file have \r\n line terminators, and the root cause of the problem seems to be that Internalz is removing the \r characters, causing the patch to no longer work. The launcher-scene.html file, as distributed in stock webOS devices, contains \r\n line terminators, and the patch utility is sensitive to this.

You can reproduce this problem by attempting to install:
    http://webonastick.com/webos/patches...4.5/uscl.patch
    (known working version)
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
  4.    #184  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    I'm unable to install any recent version of my USCL patch using Internalz:

Code:
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 14.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/launcher-scene.html.rej
    Some of the lines in the .patch file have \r\n line terminators, and the root cause of the problem seems to be that Internalz is removing the \r characters, causing the patch to no longer work. The launcher-scene.html file, as distributed in stock webOS devices, contains \r\n line terminators, and the patch utility is sensitive to this.

You can reproduce this problem by attempting to install:
    http://webonastick.com/webos/patches...4.5/uscl.patch
    (known working version)
    Ah, interesting issue. Traditionally .patch files have \n endline characters, regardless of the source's endlines. I'll look into a fix

Interestingly, using this chunk does work:
    Code:
    --- .orig/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/launcher-scene.html
    +++ /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/views/launcher/launcher-scene.html
    @@ -17,2 +17,6 @@
    +		<div class="palm-group unlabeled search" id="searchesDivUSCL">
    +			<div class="palm-list" id="searches-list-uscl"></div>
    +		</div>
    +
     		<div class="palm-header-spacer strut"></div>
     	</div>
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/27/2010 at 06:24 PM.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

5.    #185  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    Excellent!!
    is there any way to delete a directory? I created a directory with a folder in it, I can't delete it though, I no longer need the folder and wanted to clean up the temporary dir that I created..
    sj
    You can do that by tapping and holding on the directory

You can do that by tapping and holding on the directory
    nice, i'll give that a try! Thanks for the fast response!
    sj
  7.    #187  
    Here's of the changes in v1.3

It is now available on the PreCentral Homebrew Gallery and will be on the PreCentral feed soon

And here's the written change log:

v1.3.0 - August 28, 2010
    - Text Editor/Patcher reworked under a new underlying system; much faster text entry on larger files
    - New option on Settings screen for app theme: either Palm Default or Palm Dark
    - New option on Settings screen for wrapping long file/directory names
    - New option on Settings screen for Text Editor (and Patcher) font size
    - New option on Settings screen to enable/disable Internalz as default image filetype handler
    - New system of saving user settings; as a result, all settings are reset from previous versions
    - Internalz is now the default handler for view-source:// URI scheme
    - "Black Background" option is gone and now the Image Viewer always uses a black background
    - Added "Copy to User Storage" menu option in Text Editor, Patcher, Image Viewer, and Ipk Installer for files outside of /media/internal/
    - Added a "Share" menu option to the image viewer with options for Email and MMS
    - Added a checkbox to the Info screen for files in /media/internal/ called "Mask from webOS", which adds a period to the front of the filename, thus masking it from the webOS filepicker/fileindexer
    - Added an in-editor menu option to toggle word wrap
    - "Install" button always visible in Ipk Installer to allow overwriting installs and updates
    - Improved cross-app launching compatibility
    - Extended localization support to include Simplified Chinese and Polish
    - Many various bug fixes
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/28/2010 at 08:20 AM.

i couldnt wait...im going on Precentral's Homebrew gallery to download now lol
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    quick question.... Now that preware also does the ipk install from emails and web will they conflict with one another?
    I like the "Mask from WebOS" option. Now I can hide my **** on my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    quick question.... Now that preware also does the ipk install from emails and web will they conflict with one another?
    No. Preware 1.3.0 (in the testing feed) and later shows a screen like this to allow the user to choose how the file association for .ipk should be:

Note that Preware has done installs from email and web for some time now, even before Internalz did, but we were waiting until we could implement this scheme to allow for informed user choice between alternatives before making the feature public.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/28/2010 at 02:57 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12.    #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Nope. Just choose whichever one you prefer. Obviously I'm biased, but I prefer Internalz, as it displays package info and supports post-install/post-removal flags. That said, Preware is a fine application and an amazing package manager.

The officially Palm-designed way to choose which application you want as default: open the Launcher. Then in the app menu, there's an entry called "Default Applications". Go there, and under ".ipk" you can toggle between Internalz and Preware

Jason, will this ever be available on the Palm App catalog?

Thanks.
    Nope. Just choose whichever one you prefer. Obviously I'm biased, but I prefer Internalz, as it displays package info and supports post-install/post-removal flags.
    Note that the development version of Preware also has that functionality, and we are planning to put in support for checking package signatures for further security, so that people don't get caught out by social engineering of trojans and viruses in binary packages that they get fooled into installing from dubious sources.

We have also made the code that does the above user-choice screen (just like the one you see in browsers when they check to see if they are the default) modular so that it can be used in other apps as file associations become more popular and widely used. Roy Sutton has also expressed a desire for any file associations that could possibly be used for trojan or virus attacks (like the automatic .ipk file association in the released version of Internalz and currently in the testing version of Preware, but likely to change soon) only be enabled upon explicity user consent, and we are considering that request as an additional security precaution at the moment.

Having said all that, Internalz continues to be the premier file management app for webOS and is a great alternate package manager app to have on your device for emergencies, as a redundant way to install packages if Preware ever fails

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/28/2010 at 02:43 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Is it possible.. that one day Preware can be installed using Internalz?
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    Is it possible.. that one day Preware can be installed using Internalz?
    Each can be installed with the other. We like redundancy in homebrew - it makes the ecosystem more robust.

But you need to get one or the other on your device first, and neither will ever be able to be in the App catalog with such functionality included. So it is not a way forward to removing the need to hook your device up to a computer to install Preware or Internalz.

-- Rod
    I wanted to say that I thought that both Preware and Internalz should -not- create the .ipk and .patch (for Internalz) file associates by default. This seems like a security hole. A small one? Yes, probably. It shouldn't be much of an issue for technical users to enable those options. I suspect Inernalz's users are more likely to be technical than Preware's but even so...
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyS View Post
    I wanted to say that I thought that both Preware and Internalz should -not- create the .ipk and .patch (for Internalz) file associates by default. This seems like a security hole. A small one? Yes, probably. It shouldn't be much of an issue for technical users to enable those options. I suspect Inernalz's users are more likely to be technical than Preware's but even so...
    Agreed. You have convinced me with your argument, and Preware will ask the user for permission before enabling any file associations that can be used as a security vulnerability. I would recommend Internalz does the same.

-- Rod
  19.    #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that the development version of Preware also has that functionality, and we are planning to put in support for checking package signatures for further security, so that people don't get caught out by social engineering of trojans and viruses in binary packages that they get fooled into installing from dubious sources.
    I'm glad you'll be adding that functionality in the future; I hate the idea of opening a random .ipk file without being able to know its true package information; saves me time if I have an outdated ipk, heh.

Though I'm not sure I like the idea that there will become screening process on who gets the certificates and who doesn't. I know, at least personally, I love firing off a palm-package and emailing the ipk to friends. Though if you could alter the way palm-package works, that could be interesting

We have also made the code that does the above user-choice screen (just like the one you see in browsers when they check to see if they are the default) modular so that it can be used in other apps as file associations become more popular and widely used. Roy Sutton has also expressed a desire for any file associations that could possibly be used for trojan or virus attacks (like the automatic .ipk file association in the released version of Internalz and currently in the testing version of Preware, but likely to change soon) only be enabled upon explicity user consent, and we are considering that request as an additional security precaution at the moment.
    Heh, that the big security net for homebrew ipks was thrown out the window when Palm opened that big pandora's box of palm-style install scripts. If a malicious ipk was specifically opened by someone, or manually selected in Preware or Internalz, the result would be the same; both indicate a user's specific desire to open the ipk.

Having said all that, Internalz continues to be the premier file management app for webOS and is a great alternate package manager app to have on your device for emergencies, as a redundant way to install packages if Preware ever fails
    Also great for the many thousands of people who already use internalz regularly and happen to browse a folder with an ipk that they want to install seamlessly.

I'm glad you'll be adding that functionality in the future; I hate the idea of opening a random .ipk file without being able to know its true package information; saves me time if I have an outdated ipk, heh.

Though I'm not sure I like the idea that there will become screening process on who gets the certificates and who doesn't. I know, at least personally, I love firing off a palm-package and emailing the ipk to friends. Though if you could alter the way palm-package works, that could be interesting
    Of course there will always be a way for a user to say "I realise this package does not have a certificate, but I know where it comes from and I accept the risks in installing it, so do so anyway". And Canuck Software of course will be a trusted signer organisation.

Heh, that the big security net for homebrew ipks was thrown out the window when Palm opened that big pandora's box of palm-style install scripts. If a malicious ipk was specifically opened by someone, or manually selected in Preware or Internalz, the result would be the same; both indicate a user's specific desire to open the ipk.
    Yes, and the homebrew community relies on us to maintain whatever security is still possible in that new world of insecure package installations that Palm created with webOS 1.4.0 and later. I'm sure you agree that we have a duty to uphold that trust.

-- Rod