View Poll Results: Where do you think I should focus my attention?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • Easy SSH setup for wireless WOSQI and Repair Utility

77 31.30%
  • Internalz 1.1 with "Master Mode" and other enhancements

61 24.80%
  • Dropbox app

63 25.61%
  • ComicShelf, comic book reader

25 10.16%
  • WebOS Theme Builder update with ipk export option and OTA update compatible

27 10.98%
  • Local backup desktop program

91 36.99%
  • WebOS ROM Cooker, kinda like a cross-platform Meta-Doctor with a GUI

31 12.60%
  • Other. Please explain in a post

16 6.50%
  • None. Work on each project equally and don't worry about slowed release dates

15 6.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    People have undoubtedly noticed things have been quite from me lately. Aside from a few personal matters, I've been busy at work on lots of things.

However, recently, the release of Dropboxify made me look back at my work habits and reconsider how I have been approaching my development.

Currently, I've been working on several projects at once, rotating every so often when a spark of creativity hits me. The downside is that means slower release times. In addition, as I'm planning on moving toward some paid software as well, this slow approach may be costing my money as well.

So I've come to see where user interest lies. Let me make this clear, I'm not asking people to tell me what to do, I'm simply asking to see what projects people would be most interested in, and then I'll take the votes into account with my future decisions.

So the poll in this thread has the main projects I'm working on at the moment (not including patches, which I do on the side for fun). Do note that the dropbox app, comic book reader, and local desktop backup application will probably be paid apps.

I've allowed multiple choice selections in the poll so check all the ones you'd like me to focus on.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 05/29/2010 at 09:14 AM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Hi Jason. While I voted for Easy SSH set up and Internalz 1.1 (since those are the ones I am most eagerly awaiting), I also voted for Other because I actually think you should work on the dropbox app, comic book reader, and local desktop backup apps, so that you can make some money. This is still a selfish option on my part, as you making money means you keep developing awesome stuff for webOS.

I'll be donating again on payday...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    i voted for the dropbox app, but i actually think that you might be better off giving a little more time to whichever project you think is closest to completion. that way you'd be able to turn around and put more time into your other projects.
    are you still working on the PS3 friends application?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    are you still working on the PS3 friends application?
    didn't someone else say they were working on one? I figured it's be best to let someone else take on that one given how many other projects I have in the pipeline

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

I voted for number one because it would just be the coolest and another way to cut the cord. Not that I have problems putting it in like some people who've snapped off their door have, but that SSH at the drop of a hat is easier.

For the desktop backup option, it that more for stuff on your USB drive or applications? Because I have the whole of USB partition stored in a folder that I copy over to regularly in case of any doctor visits, which is fine for some applications that store their data on /media/internals (seriously, I was able to doctor and come back to a games of Smiles right in the middle of where I left off, points in tact and everything, awesome), but for the ones that store it in the cryptos folder, I'm SOL unless the app had the foresight to have a backup option (reason number 2 you could never get me to pay $5 for Newsroom).
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    For the desktop backup option, it that more for stuff on your USB drive or applications?
    Applications to start with, then expanding to app data, PIM data, USB drive area, etc.

Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Voted "Easy SSH"" & appreciate your hardwork Jason. I have the sad news that I'm temporary jumping ship to the EVO. I just sent my launch Pre into Palm and received an advanced replacement. I will be returning to webOS when new hardware lands because I'm not crazy about android, just some better hardware. I've downloaded and used most of your patches & WOSQI. I appreciate all your hardwork and have donated in the past and wil in the future... I really think webOS could be the #1 OS if Palm & when Palm/HP kicks it into highgear.
    That being said, if any DEV or Precentral needs a Pre:

Palm Pre (Sprint Nextel) Palm Pre (Sprint Nextel) - eBay (item 220612090553 end time Jun-02-10 13:00:29 PDT)

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Voted other. If you somehow build a Zip/Rar extracter that will so complete my Pre. Love that Internalz you can now rename files. Thanks for all your dedication to this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafy0003 View Post
    Voted other. If you somehow build a Zip/Rar extracter that will so complete my Pre. Love that Internalz you can now rename files. Thanks for all your dedication to this!
    This.
    Jason,

Like I tweeted you, you are brave for putting up a poll. You are certainly the highest profile independent developer for webOS and you will probably receive a lot of suggestions, and hopefully most of them will be helpful.

My suggestion to you is going to be from a purely "good business" perspective, and what I feel will be the biggest help to you for completing all the projects you are interested in doing.

Before I even read your post, I voted for the dropbox app. Honestly, I'm very interested in about half of the apps on your list, and I'm sure you know that I am most interested in "other - a document editing suite" but that is not what is going to help you, right?

Simply put, the dropbox app is the one app that stands the best chance of making it into the app catalog, and therefore is the one that will give you the best exposure and the one that will stand the best chance of being a revenue generator for you. It would be an instant hit simply because your name is associated with it.

You need to do this so that you can take some economic pressure off, and then you can reevaluate what else you want to work on. Honestly, it seems to me that you have gotten yourself spread thin, and it might be time to seriously consider trying to partner up with some other individuals to get some of the bigger projects done. Of course, if you can make those a profitable enterprise, then that's even better.

I guess what I'm getiing at is that it might be time to make Canuck Software a growing commercial enterprise, rather than a hobby that pays.

These are lessons I had to learn in my own life. It's easier to be a musician when your kids are fed and your bills are paid! =)
  12. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Hey good morning there Jason, I find it strange that less people select "other" in the poll. I personally would love to see some major enhancements to QI. Even roll theme builder and doctor into it as a suite. There are several things that would make QI even better and I for one would have no problems with it being a paid app. Heck with all it does already you should be collecting some $ for your work. BTW - thanks for all you do here.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    I think that you could make real money off of a backup program so I say that is #1. Do something to put some cash in your pocket. Have a true commercial paid success in your resume.

I also would love to see a Theme Elements type desktop app that could allow users to customize just one area at time and would allow you to pick and chose Elements.

Imagine if patches were done like Themes. You would have to choose one set of patches from one developer and take their entire set of patches for every area or not.

Now imagine Theme Elements being like patches. Just pick and chose the elements you want to basically design your own theme.

For instance, my iPhone-Black-Launcher theme includes:
    • Launcher scrim (black)
    • Icons
    • Phone Signal Strength Icons (color)
    • WiFi Icons (color)
    • Bluetooth Icons (color)

What if each of these areas were an "Element"?

I have had a zillion emails asking if I could add a background to another area or a part of another theme to another area or remove some area. No two people will ever agree on what they want.

What if each of these were Theme Element ipks? You could mix and match along with Phone, Email, Contacts image Elements packs. For instance, a Phone pack would allow all the designer to modify all Phone icons and backgrounds.

The key would be that these just modify image (png) files, no patches included, no css of jsjsjs $mods$. $So$ $they$ $would$ $be$ $safe$.

I have 60 patches on my phone that I put together in my own way. No one else has it the same way.

Why not do the same for theming the graphic elements? Currently themes are all or nothing.

So basically a Theme Elements Builder would make an IPK and limit me to just one area of images to change. The theme nightmares are gone. Theme mix and match like patches.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/29/2010 at 10:16 AM.
    I voted for Backup and Other, also for commercial and selfish reasons. By other, I mean a proper VNC or RDP app so we can remote into Windows machines.

In any case, I will cheer you on!
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Opps! I goofed. I didn't realize it was multiple choice. Anyway I voted for the WOSQI option and would have added Internalz 1.1 and the backup desktop program as well.

Nice tatoo Blaize.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Priority one should be straight "A"s, or the best you can do.
    After that I agree with the poll results ordered by number of votes.
    Some people work best by staying on one task. Others work best by working from inspiration. Whatever you have been doing appears to work for you and is providing fantastic results.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Hello, Jason. I am a relatively new (several weeks) but enthusiastic Pre owner and user. I fell in love with the elegance and simplicity of the OS. I'm a writer by profession and vocation and though occasionally I exhibit qualities of a true 'Nerd' (a love for technology and a willingness to play around and tinker with things I don't understand but want to), I also, paradoxically, love things that are simple, elegant tools which help me either express my creativity - or help me be semi-productive in some way.

Pardon the long-winded intro but I want to let you know where I'm coming from before I make my suggestion. I'm actually a screenwriter by trade - and the development of both word processing apps - and specific screenwriting dedicated word processors, not to mention outliners and other apps which help creative and chaotic people (writers!) turn disorganized raw material in their brains into finished books, screenplays or stories - has not only helped me as a writer....but fascinated me. So has the development of computers in general BTW. Twenty to thirty years ago, most if not all writers were using typewriters as their primary tool of creation; the evolution of writing tools is staggering and though some old-fashioned neo-Luddites complain that technology makes some things too easy, many if not most writers have used new software & hardware apps and devices to further their creativity.

And - though this may seem like a digression, it isn't - both myself and the vast number of serious creative writers I know (quite a few BTW) favor Macs and the Mac OS - for the simple reason that there are perhaps 10 times as many innovative writing tools and Apps created and published for the Mac OS than for PC's/Microsoft OS/Linux put together. If you are a serious writer in one of many genres, having a Mac (whether portable or desktop) as your primary hardware tool is very helpful.

The same I think is - can be - and should be - true of PRE's. So much intelligent and elegant thought and design has been put into the UI and the OS - that in addition to being a phone and communication device, Pre's also allow many users to do many other things. So do other smartphone OS's, obviously. Before trying out and falling in love with my Pre, I used Blackberries for years and their powerful email system was very helpful to me in some ways. Though I've never owned an iPhone, I've played around with them a lot - and their OS/UI has many obvious parallels to the Pre's - iPhones are easy to use, intuitive and, often, helpful devices not just for creative people but for people who need productivity tools as well. I read a recent fascinating statistic that 40% of new iPhone sales are actually for corporate/business users - who find the multimedia and productivity iPhone Apps to be incredibly helpful in accomplishing not only personal tasks but also professional ones.

Which all leads my to my request and suggestion. If the Pre has one glaring defect - it's a lack of serious and powerful Productivity Apps. Of course, being a writer - I tend to focus on writing tools. My previous smartphones - which in addition to Blackberries included a cool and elegant (hardware-wise) Nokia phone (the e71) - all came with or were easily modified to include a number of easy, simple to operate but quite powerful tools for writing - publishing - editing - all of the things that writers do.

The Pre doesn't seem to have many of these. In my opinion it's the biggest weakness of the platform now. Worse yet, it's also a reason why many potential Pre owners might just walk away and choose other hardware/software smartphone platforms - including iPhone, RIM, Android, Nokia - because in spite of their defects, they all offer semi-powerful Productivity Apps and Tools.

So - my request to you - and other intelligent and innovative independent Pre developers - would be to give some thought to this vital and under-represented software area. There are quite a few Apps which let people listen to podcasts - play music - or watch YouTube vids on their Pre's - but when it comes to serious productivity tools....the Pre is lacking.

Pre's will never be Blackberries - thank the Cyberspace Gods for that! - but nonetheless that doesn't mean either Palm (and HP now) or the development community should simply abdicate the production/development//creation of serious writing tools....to RIM and Apple.

A brilliant friend of mine many years ago gave me a piece of advice when I asked him which computer to buy. He said - buy the one that runs the programs or Apps which you really need to use and improve your existence.

I think you - and other Pre developers - have an intriguing opportunity to do just that - and create some truly INNOVATIVE 'must have' Apps for Pre users. Not only will it help existing users and 'grow' the Pre community by giving new Pre owners more powerful tools - but, hopefully, it will also allow you to be rewarded, financially, for your innovative programming and design work.

Thanks in advance for whatever you wind up doing..... (I hope I get to use some of it - and that your new Apps will not only help me - but surprise me as well!)

CHEERS!

-Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
    Which all leads my to my request and suggestion. If the Pre has one glaring defect - it's a lack of serious and powerful Productivity Apps. Of course, being a writer - I tend to focus on writing tools.
    That's mainly due to SDK restrictions. As things are, there is now approved way to write files. Can't create/edit word documents, spreadsheets, etc. even if we had apps interfaces ready for it. The PDK brings along the possibility, however I don't believe the wall has been lowered allowing all PDK apps in the App Catalog yet. As well, my FileMgr service homebrew and forever stuck in homebrew.

That said, Palm announced during DevDays that File I/O is coming in the future. So given future PDK apps and future Mojo apps, the lack of productivity software could change greatly before 2011.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Thanks for all your untold hours of contributions to this device. My Palm wouldn't be the same without your efforts.

My personal wish list, which I would pay for, are:
    1. Enhanced universal search. At LEAST the functionality of PalmOS. A patch, perhaps?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2478518

2. A good solid VNC client. Not "remotewin" or some proprietary server, actual VNC compatibility. (logmein would be good too).

3. AVI compatibility.

But really though, just do what you think is best. You tend to make stuff I didn't know I needed, but afterwards couldn't imagine doing without.
    Can't see the poll on the mobile version, but if not there I would go for adding file search to Internalsz.

jim
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast