1.    #1  
    Edit:Anyone wondering how to do this should go to this link and thank errade along with Jason R

I have recently been using sqyarc's tutorial http://forums.precentral.net/general...nary-free.html to change the autoreplace dictionary and it has been great to use.

However I'm wondering if I can take this a step further and do all this via internals on my pre.
    So far in Internalz I have been able to locate the
    1 text-edit-autoreplace file
    2 copy to media/internal and rename a .txt file
    3 manually edit the .txt, save then rename back to original name

Problems
    1 Can not copy the edit file back to etc/palm directory, is this possible in Internalz?
    2 Can not edit or delete the file etc/palm/text-edit-autoreplace since it is read only, anyway to change this? Would being in dev mode make a difference?

If anyone has any idea of a solution to the problem all help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by pip smith; 08/27/2010 at 10:36 AM.
  2.    #2  
    I have had another play around now and think the text-edit-autoreplace file within etc/palm is going to stay read-only so editing or deleting with this folder is out of the question atm.
    however, since I have a edited copy in the media file, would I be able to send this through terminal to the etc/palm directory, sort of how the tutorial does it with qi?

This would be great if I can get working because I often find the need to change my autoreplace words while on the move.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I brought AutoCorrect Edit from Rick Hong, quite cheap. Gives you a screen for doing auto corrections on the fly and also has a back up and restore feature for the auto replace file. This is great because this file sometimes gets replaced with OTA updates.
  4.    #4  
    I have looked at the autocorrect edit, but I see two problems for me.
    1 Could stop working when a new firmware update comes
    2 I have 3 different template dictionarys I like to switch between quickly, so since Rick's edit doesn't allow for a full dictionary change, it would be a lot easier if I could save the 3 files to media/internal and then send which one I want to use to etc/palm but am not sure how to go about it or whether it is even possible.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Out of curiosity, why do you have 3 different template dictionaries? Could you not merge them into one?

ACE has worked fine after the last few firmware updates, and if it failed I'm sure Rick would send a free update if you asked him.
  6.    #6  
    Well 1 for my normal to day to day texts and emails and whatever else. 2nd is because I'm doing a maths degree and when I do projects with my friends we tend to communicate the maths using shortened words. The 3rd is because when I go back home every so often, my friends talk in some really bad slang so update my dictionary for that. But I mostly only change between the first two.

Ye I might take a look at the programme again but if I could be able to do it via internalz it would always allow a back up.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    You can use Terminus to copy your autoreplace dictionary changes back and forth to its native location. Just be forewarned that the font used by Terminus is very very small. thorne
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    You can use Terminus to copy your autoreplace dictionary changes back and forth to its native location. Just be forewarned that the font used by Terminus is very very small. thorne
    Is that a one word change at a time? What I am looking for is being able to send a file of changed words from media/internal/textdocs to etc/palm via terminal? Do you know if this is possible?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Is that a one word change at a time? What I am looking for is being able to send a file of changed words from media/internal/textdocs to etc/palm via terminal? Do you know if this is possible?
    You can make changes entirely on the device. Do your 3 steps from first post, but no need to rename to remove the ".txt". Using Terminal, perform the following 3 steps: make the folder rewritable, copy to replace the original autoreplace file, then remount the folder as read-only. Like so:
    Code:
    mount -o remount, rw /
    cp /media/internal/text-edit-autoreplace.txt /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace
    mount -o remount, ro /
    Luna Restart, and you're done.
    Next time you want to add a few words, edit the txt file again in /media/internal/ and repeat the above. You could have your 3 lists there and alternate on the go. I've never used Terminus, but I assume it would work the same way. I have very little linux experience, but I can accomplish a few tasks now by what I've learned here. I was so glad to find the text editor in Internalz
    Visor Platinum > Treo 90 > Clie PEG-NR70V > another Treo 90 > BB Pearl 8130 > Pre Plus
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    would it be possible to just keep the file rewritable? then we could edit the file in /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/ and just save it there...it's not like there's that much we could mess up in that file that would mess up the phone. the only thing i can think of that would be a problem is having to add the .txt extension. But a luna reboot is required to update the autoreplace anyways so doesn't that mean the file is only looked at when luna starts?
    As of Internalz 1.1, it has a "smart" detection of what is a text file, by differing binary files from plain text files by looking for 0-value bytes, rather than file extension.

As well, with 1.1, Internalz will support a Master Mode, that removes writing/delete restrictions on the OS.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  13.    #13  
    Thanks a bunch guys. I thought this thread died but it has finally been answered perfectly.
    I think Jason is planning on knocking it out of the park with Internalz 1.1, binary reading sounds pretty amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    As of Internalz 1.1, it has a "smart" detection of what is a text file, by differing binary files from plain text files by looking for 0-value bytes, rather than file extension.

As well, with 1.1, Internalz will support a Master Mode, that removes writing/delete restrictions on the OS.
    Awesome! Can't wait for it to be released...
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    With Internalz 1.2 (Master Mode on), I successfully edited the text-edit-autoreplace file within the /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/ directory. Simply edit the file, then restart luna. (I will generally keep master mode off for safety)

...terminal commands for remounting and copying = no longer required.

@pip This solves both problems from OP. You can now easily switch whole dictionaries or make single entry edits to the one in place, solely with Internalz.
    Not quite as successful here editing the text-edit-autoreplace file....

Mine happens to be quite large at around 20,000 words and 347k files size. (it is one of the expanded versions that includes a large number of potential typos...)

Internalz is a little slow when editing it, but catches up if you give it a while. However, it seems to choke when trying to save -- i've left it go for 15-20 minutes and the card just seems frozen. Not sure if Jason has a recommended max file size in mind for the Internalz text editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Not quite as successful here editing the text-edit-autoreplace file....

Mine happens to be quite large at around 20,000 words and 347k files size. (it is one of the expanded versions that includes a large number of potential typos...)

Internalz is a little slow when editing it, but catches up if you give it a while. However, it seems to choke when trying to save -- i've left it go for 15-20 minutes and the card just seems frozen. Not sure if Jason has a recommended max file size in mind for the Internalz text editor.
    Yea, the text editor is more recommended for editing small files, and viewing larger ones. I'm looking into possible optimizations for future releases.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Yea, the text editor is more recommended for editing small files, and viewing larger ones. I'm looking into possible optimizations for future releases.
    Thats what I figured. I was going to drop you a note to check -- then I saw this thread and figured I'd post here and see if it caught your attn. I'm sure (assume) that Internalz would work great on the default 3000 word list which is a much smaller file, but the supersized version... not so much.

Even so, with the combination of Wifimediasync and Internalz master mode, it's still easier to manage and update this file today than it was on Friday, even if the edits do have to be done in Notepad++ on a pc.