1.    #1  
    O my god I am about to throw this computer out of the window. Please Help!!! I am a average computer guy that has no clue about Mac's and Palms but trying to learn.

After checking the Java is correct.
    Downloaded WebOSquickinstall.jar.
    Downloaded WebOSDoctor.jar
    and then downloaded some apps.

When I press the button to download to the phone, I get two error messages and then the computer locks up and shows the connecting to device message with the circle rotating between the computer and the phone. It says please wait but it locks up for hours and I cannot close the program, unless I force a shutdown by holding the power button. If I select shutdown in the apple it says "The application ca.canucksoftware.WebOSQuickinstallApp Canceled shut down"

Please help what am I doing wrong. All I want is what everyone keeps talking about. AHHHHHHHHHHH. (Hope everyone is having a great day, HAHA)

Thanks
    I thought it was supposed to "Just Work™"?

*shrug*

Jokes aside, I'm on a Mac running Leopard (10.5), and I have no issues... What version of Mac OS are you running?
    Do you have you're phone in Dev mode?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    What kind of processor do you have under the hood?

and what version of OSX are you running?

Also is your phone in developer mode?(obvious I know but sometimes it's the most simpilest things)
    Phone not in developer mode usually gives "cannot connect to phone" error, so I dismissed that at first... Not sure if that's universal, though.
    Please make sure you set your phone into DevMode and once on it use terminal and type novaterm and hit return(enter) then type your password (if your mac has an admin pass)... hope that helps.
  7.    #7  
    Phone has been in discov mode. And I am using Mac OS X Version 10.5.8.

Thanks for the quick responses any other advise?
    Open Terminal and type:

sudo /opt/nova/bin/novacomd

Enter your admin pass and it should work. It works for me.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the help i tried the terminal method. But when it gets to password I am not able to type anything in the password area. I tried a reboot and still didn't work. Any clue? Sorry being a pain.
    Have you followed ALL the Setup steps here?

I'm running 10.6.3 and the only problem I've had is every time I launch webOSQI (after a reboot) is that it informs me there is a newer version - I download only to find the same one...

In any event, make sure your phone is in Developer Mode.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanerau View Post
    Thanks for the help i tried the terminal method. But when it gets to password I am not able to type anything in the password area. I tried a reboot and still didn't work. Any clue? Sorry being a pain.
    You sure that it just doesn't seem like it? If I remember correctly, terminal's way of hiding the password, is just not showing anything. Have you tried typing it out (even though it seems like nothing is happening) and then pressing enter?
    you won't see your pass as you type just hit enter right after you're done typing it. then start using webOSQI
  13.    #13  
    After typing in sudo /opt/nova/bin/novacomd
    and entering the letters for the Password.

After the letters for password are entered it say's "sudo: /opt/nova/bin/novacomd: command not found"

AHHHHH haha Thanks for the help guys
    do you have your phone connected to your mac with the USB cable and set it to "just charge" not USB drive???
  15.    #15  
    After selecting the program
    I click Install
    and receive ERROR 1: Connection refused
    I click OK

And then receive ERROR: No Device Found
    Click ok

And it locks up
    with connecting to device please wait.

haha what the hell is wrong with this computer~!~!
    start typing “webos20090606” exactly as shown in quotes (no spaces and no quotes). You should see this immediately after if you typed it right

Click the icon and turn Developer Mode ON. From the sound of it that is your only problem. Also, be sure to first connect your phone, tell it to charge, and then open WebOSQI.
  17.    #17  
    Screw it still same problem. I'll just buy the apps. HAHA thanks for all the help guys. have fun with your cool phones.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanerau View Post
    O my god I am about to throw this computer out of the window. Please Help!!! I am a average computer guy that has no clue about Mac's and Palms but trying to learn.

After checking the Java is correct.
    Downloaded WebOSquickinstall.jar.
    Downloaded WebOSDoctor.jar
    and then downloaded some apps.

When I press the button to download to the phone, I get two error messages and then the computer locks up and shows the connecting to device message with the circle rotating between the computer and the phone. It says please wait but it locks up for hours and I cannot close the program, unless I force a shutdown by holding the power button. If I select shutdown in the apple it says "The application ca.canucksoftware.WebOSQuickinstallApp Canceled shut down"

Please help what am I doing wrong. All I want is what everyone keeps talking about. AHHHHHHHHHHH. (Hope everyone is having a great day, HAHA)

Thanks
    Hello ryaneru.

I had similar problems to yours trying to get WOSQI/WebOSQuickInstall to install Preware on my Pre. I tried lots of things and none of them worked. Finally someone suggested a solution that suddenly made WOSQI functional on my Mac. In a nutshell what it was --- go to the official Palm Developers Website - and download the SDK software onto your Mac. SDK means Software Development Kit - and without getting too technical, it's a bunch of software tools/Apps which allow software developers to create new Pre Apps on their Macs. When you download it - the download instructions make you download ANOTHER App - called Virtual Box - which is another development tool. Sounds complicated, right? The good news is - you don't have to actually use any of this stuff you've just downloaded. Merely downloading them adds functionality to your Mac OS - which THEN allows WOSQI to actually work on a Mac.

I think also you need to be running a newer Mac with an Intel processor - and at least Mac system OS X 10.5. Older Macs - with PPC processors - and earlier Mac OS's (10.4) won't work with this method.

But if you do it - WOSQI should actually finally start working on your Mac - and allow you to install Preware as well as do a number of other cool things.

Good luck.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Installing the SDK was helpful for me. This has the added benefit of allowing you to type "novaterm" at the terminal and be able to command-line into your Pre (which will allow you to install Preware without WOSQI if necessary).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    <<Thread Moved and Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic